• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

jett

D-Member
Loudninja said:
Thanks for that, do you know the numbers? I like to seem them please.:D

I don't have them anymore. It's been years since the full excel NPD spreadsheet was allowed to be posted here. :p I remember MGS2 doing around 400k, and MGS3 less than that.

Loudninja

jett said:
I don't have them anymore. It's been years since the full excel NPD spreadsheet was allowed to be posted here. :p I remember MGS2 doing around 400k, and MGS3 less than that.

Woah,so MGS4 outsold both of those combine in a month? Konam and Kojimai must be please.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm not writing off Blu-Ray dude. Obviously it's a selling point for the PS3. I just don't think it's a big factor in the marketplace yet and I think is almost overwhelming evidence that the marketplace is CURRENTLY (NOT in the long term) drifting towards convenience over fidelity.

I think it's a very big factor in the marketplace for those that own HDTVs. What makes you think convenience and fidelity are in direct competition? Rental services have always been big, and so have movie purchases; they can't coexist and both be popular?

The fact is that rental services are great for movies I haven't seen and just want to experience. Purchases are great for movies I love and want to experience in the best way possible. The Dark Knight? You're damn sure I'm going to get that on Blu-Ray. Some obscure indie flick that's gotten some controversial buzz that I want to check out? That may be better suited fore rentals/streaming. And if I enjoy it a whole lot, then the rentals service then segues into motivation for a blu-ray purchase.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Value is the eye of the beholder. I don't watch Blu-Ray movies. I sold the freebie on my launch 60GB. Fable 2 sold 3 million units. There are probably some people wanting to purchase a console when this drops. Viva Pinata actually has a decent following of his cartoon and it appears that Microsoft will actually give a damn when advertising it this go 'round, combine that with the fact that Viva Pinata and Banjo are going to retail at 39.99, I'd say that these two with something like Lips or a Your at the movies might pull some people in. Not as much as a Fable, but some people might look their way.

2nd

I'm Glad were on the same team.. all your posts are full of win...

Ms is the true Home console.. it covers all the bases and will continue this holiday

Private hoffman needs to take the red pill like in the matrix so he can snap back into reality

krzyspc

Banned
You people are crazy if you think LBP will move console let alone be huge hit. If it was on the Wii and made by Nitenedo (Had the Nintendo logo on it) it would have a chance.

Wrong console, wrong demographics.

DiddyBop

im sure sony's expectations for LBP are high, they seemed really hyped about it. i could imagine them bringing back the 40 or 20 gig ps3 bundled with lbp for 349 this holiday season.

Tmac

I disagree. Ps3 has a much more broader diversity. Thats the result of sony's investiment worldwide. They have studios/developers in many countrys. That's not something you earn overnight with a big check.

--------

I think the 360 needs a real price drop ASAP. Whats going on with that new HD premium? One day it drops by $50,00 the next day the average dude goes to wallmart decided to get his 360 and the price gone UP. WTF? That won't work.

Private Hoffman said:
I think it's a very big factor in the marketplace for those that own HDTVs. What makes you think convenience and fidelity are in direct competition? Rental services have always been big, and so have movie purchases; they can't coexist and both be popular?

The fact is that rental services are great for movies I haven't seen and just want to experience. Purchases are great for movies I love and want to experience in the best way possible. The Dark Knight? You're damn sure I'm going to get that on Blu-Ray. Some obscure indie flick that's gotten some controversial buzz that I want to check out? That may be better suited fore rentals/streaming. And if I enjoy it a whole lot, then the rentals service then segues into motivation for a blu-ray purchase.

Look, man. You're talking to a guy who early adopted DVD just to get Boogie Nights bonus content. I get what's awesome about Blu Ray. You're preaching to the converted. I'm talking about the kind of widespread acceptance of the format that will really start the PS3 on its way to significantly eating away at the four or whatever million gap in userbase.

Of course it helps the PS3 month to month. It's still a hundred bucks more and selling at the same rate if not better. But that's not going to get it over that gap, mathematically speaking.

_Xenon_

Banned
Hmm ... the 360 sales number is getting pathetic now, and it's in the US :/

For most of the core gamers, they probably have purchased an HD console already, while PS3 can still capture those non gamers as a cheap BD player.

I wonder if that netflix or live party thing they showed this E3 can attract more users and turn the tide, or they probably will end up 3rd this gen again :/

Loudninja

krzyspc said:
You people are crazy if you think LBP will move console let alone be huge hit. If it was on the Wii and made by Nitenedo (Had the Nintendo logo on it) it would have a chance.

Wrong console, wrong demographics.
:lol you really dont know what you are talking about.

Concept17

bloody pirate said:
I'm Glad were on the same team.. all your posts are full of win...

Ms is the true Home console.. it covers all the bases and will continue this holiday

Private hoffman needs to take the red pill like in the matrix so he can snap back into reality

If there is one person Ive seen on a non stop troll rampage this week, its you. You're everywhere, and you're annoying as fuck.

Tmac

I disagree. Ps3 has a much more broader diversity. Thats the result of sony's investiment worldwide. They have studios/developers in many countrys. That's not something you earn overnight with a big check.

--------

I think the 360 needs a real price drop ASAP. Whats going on with that new HD premium? One day it drops by $50,00 the next day the average dude goes to wallmart decided to get his 360 and the price gone UP. WTF? That won't work.

Slurmer

Banned
Concept17 said:
If there is one person Ive seen on a non stop troll rampage this week, its you. You're everywhere, and you're annoying as fuck.

I think he's on a mission for a sig. I don't remember him being like this at all pre-E3

Jag22

Banned
I just don't understand why people aren't happy all the consoles are selling well. And look at software sells, in years past there were months when the NO 1 seller would move 200k or so, now you have games at the 10th spot moving more than that.

I really believe some fanboys would rather see the video game industry crash than their said console not do well.

Concept17 said:

Dude, honestly. I was thinking the same, whoever the fuck this bloody pirate guy is damn, man. He is fucking atrocious, his posts are dumpster level quality. Like damn.

He has been on a troll festivities lately and he's been in every thread I read, like wow.

And how dare people call out Hoffman for his posts sounding like a completel Sony PR spin?

Like honestly, GTFO with that bs. I can say the same to a lot of posts in here.

I think most of what he said in his posts are justified, it makes sense and are logical and are as fair with the people he's arguing, talk about completely having on one shaded glasses.

PhatSaqs

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
MS sold more 360s this June than last. Yes they could and should be doing even better if they dropped the price by now but to say it's doing pathetic is pretty shortsighted IMO. The Wii is a virus unknown to man in terms of sales and the PS3 just had a phenomenal release which spurred damn good sales.

jakncoke

Banned
schuelma said:
PlayStation®2 (PS2) also had a solid month in June, selling 188,798 hardware units, an

So ya I totally expected a 99 pricepoint to be announced at E3, when will it occur? seeing it seems PS2 is still selling rather well.

Sushen

EviLore said:
Care of the NPD Group

PlayStation 3 405.5k
PSP 337.4k
Playstation 2 188.8k
Xbox 360 219.8k
Wii 666.7k
Nintendo DS 783k

(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

01. PS3 METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUN OF THE PATRIOTS KONAMI 774.6K (Does not include bundles with PS3 hardware)
It's interesting to see MGS4 to prove itself as a system seller pushing PS3 over 360 number this month. Even all-mighty GTA4 failed to be a system seller for any system, although total sales number for GTA4 will dwarf MGS4 number any day of the week. Interesting nonetheless.

As far as the Blu-Ray thing goes, by the time the format is ready to crack mainstream I think that players will be at a price point where a PS3 isn't the cheapest and best. Right now I'm seeing a Insignia BR player for $299cdn on futureshop and a Samsung one for $350cdn. By Xmas the cut will be at least $50 across the board or more. People swinging toward BR will skip the games aisle and hit the dedicated player aisle.

You don't have to tell me the value of the components inside the PS3 but the commision sales guy who actually makes a bit of $$$ of a dedicated BR player will be happy to ignore it.

IMO Sony have shot their bolt too early, they should have paid Konami to hold MGS back until November when all the publicity and postive vibe would have had more of an effect on hardware sales and they could of used it to conteract the juggernaut that will be the Gears of War 2 launch.

I just dont think getting an extra 200k sales out of your biggest remaining exclusive matter a great deal in the grand scheme of things.

Tmac said:
Whats going on with that new HD premium? One day it drops by $50,00 the next day the average dude goes to wallmart decided to get his 360 and the price gone UP. WTF? That won't work.

Didn't Sony do this same thing last year?

LuCkymoON

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Your post is filled with all sorts of fail.

The only thing that will usher in the sort of disparity you're expecting is a significant price drop on the 360 with Sony doing absolutely nothing in return.

Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 are titles that will sell really well, but they are also titles that will cater to the audience that already purchased the Xbox 360.

Not only that, but Sony has the benefit of Blu-Ray ramping up this holiday season with some pretty stellar releases like The Dark Knight and Wall-E, not to mention cheaper HDTV prices and more promotion of Blu-Ray in general in stores. Given that the format war is over, I think Blu-Ray will provide a decent boost this fall.

Further, Sony has a strong lineup of its own. Resistance 2, MotorStorm 2, and Little Big Planet are great titles. Arguably, if there's any game that has the ability to capture more PS3 users it's Little Big Planet. Like Gears of War 2, Resistance 2 is a title that will sell to the hardcore fanbase.

What it comes down to is that the PS3 is perceived as a MUCH better value to those that haven't juped into any system yet. Blu-Ray and the release of solid content has solidified this view. Before, consumers felt they were paying a premium for a feature (Blu-Ray), that may not be viable in the long run due to the competition from HD-DVD.

Like I said, the only thing that will stop the PS3's current trend is a price drop from MS. The software lineups could each be argued any which way.
There are cheaper Bluray players already on the market. So I doubt it will help the PS3 sales come xmas time; there will be even cheaper BR players to choose from.

Narcosis

Just gonna compare my official guesses with actual here:

DS
I said 595K, actual was 783K: Wow, weekly average musta really shot up. New game release I failed to notice? Summer traveling item?

Wii
I said 720K actual was 666K: Not bad IMO since supply is an unknown factor for this hardware

PS3
I said 355K actual was 405K: I had a gut feeling I was lowballing, but the tendency for HD consoles to burn my predictions when I showed optimism kept me from listening to that little voice saying the 80gig+Metal Gear was gonna be a bigger driver than what I was putting down. You win some, you lose some.....

PSP
I said 255K actual was 337K: OK, this one came outta nowhere to bite me in the ass, lol. Was it the God of war bundle? I didn't figure that would do much seeing as the game came out a few months back. Is the spike in this also possibly due to the summer season and traveling? Did DS and PSP, being great items to shut up noisy children on long trips, see a boost because of summer vacations and people going on trips?

I said 235K actual was 219K: Not too far off the mark in comparison to some of my other guesses. I kinda figured this would be "more of the same" territory for June

PS2
I said 195K actual was 188K: just like the 360 I think playing a "more of the same" guess kept me within a reasonable proximity to the real results

Tmac said:

Where are all these diverse titles? The 360 is the one with all the RPGS/ Jrpgs for example, I just dont see how anyone can say the PS3 hasa more diverse library than the 360 Sony seem to have gone the Shooter box route this gen as well.

mr_bishiuk said:
IMO Sony have shot their bolt too early, they should have paid Konami to hold MGS back until November when all the publicity and postive vibe would have had more of an effect on hardware sales and they could of used it to conteract the juggernaut that will be the Gears of War 2 launch.

I just dont think getting an extra 200k sales out of your biggest remaining exclusive matter a great deal in the grand scheme of things.

Well, they have Resistance 2 and other games to push at that time. I think this is fine.

Honestly, people don't think.

For example, MGS4 would have taken the wind out of some Ps3 exclusives if released then but now other Ps3 exclusives can get the limelight.

Like duh, think before you post.

mr_bishiuk said:
Where are all these diverse titles? The 360 is the one with all the RPGS/ Jrpgs for example, I just dont see how anyone can say the PS3 hasa more diverse library than the 360 Sony seem to have gone the Shooter box route this gen as well.

Ps3 has more family oriented games in general, more so than Microsoft and what? The Ps3 has its fair share of RPG's, where are people getting this idea that 360 is the rpg console fo the generation?

Replicant

This is not the time to celebrate, Sony. This is the time to secure as many exclusives as you can especially JRPGs. If anything, this month's NPD shows how important exclusive is for a console.

FortunateSon said:
Well, they have Resistance 2 and other games to push at that time. I think this is fine.

Honestly, people don't think.

For example, MGS4 would have taken the wind out of some Ps3 exclusives if released then but now other Ps3 exclusives can get the limelight.

Like duh, think before you post.

Resistance 2 is not in the same league as Gears of War or MGS in terms of console sales driver, you forget that November and Devember are the key months, last year MS for example sold almost as many units in December as they have year to date this year!

Releasing MGS in the last quarter would have had a much greater impact on console sales because thats the time people are more willing to drop $400+ on a console and it could have persuaded some to not spend their money on a 360. There is no harm in having too many games out in Christmas it makes it seem that yours is the console to choose, I thought about my post did you?

laserbeam

Banned
jasonbay said:
Who else thinks a new ps3 sku with BC and a bigger hd for 500 will be announced sometime in fall?

Doubtful. Jack said Sony Japan said BC had to go for cost cutting even while he pushed to keep it.

FortunateSon said:
Ps3 has more family oriented games in general, more so than Microsoft and what? The Ps3 has its fair share of RPG's, where are people getting this idea that 360 is the rpg console fo the generation?
360 got FF XIII in the west so apparently Sony died or something. Don't know don't care LBP and InFamous look awesome.

Replicant said:
This is not the time to celebrate, Sony. This is the time to secure as many exclusives as you can especially JRPGs. If anything, this month's NPD shows how important exclusive is for a console.

Do JRPGs sell on HD consoles? Did Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey do numbers indicating that that is where to put the resources?

FortunateSon said:

There are plenty more RPGs on 360 than PS3 including a tonne more support from even Japanease developers. If you are not aware of this its pointless discussing the topic further with you.

Zzoram

Warm Machine said:
Do JRPGs sell on HD consoles? Did Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey do numbers indicating that that is where to put the resources?

I think they both are close to 1million world wide, but not sure if either of them actually passed it. Not too bad for new IPs.

Narcosis

Warm Machine said:

Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey both sold well enough for not being FF or Dragon Quest.

Raistlin

flipping_heck said:
PSP gained a nice bump.. i think (did they get a bundle or something)

No.

If I had to guess, I think the increasing PS3 install base is helping it, since a lot of people are realizing how good its connectivity is.

Raistlin

Mama Robotnik said:
npdgaftrek.gif

:lol

mr_bishiuk said:
Resistance 2 is not in the same league as Gears of War or MGS in terms of console sales driver, you forget that November and Devember are the key months, last year MS for example sold almost as many units in December as they have year to date this year!

Releasing MGS in the last quarter would have had a much greater impact on console sales because thats the time people are more willing to drop $400+ on a console and it could have persuaded some to not spend their money on a 360. There is no harm in having too many games out in Christmas it makes it seem that yours is the console to choose, I thought about my post did you?
Oh so MGS4 is suddenly going to go away during the holiday season? It's still going to be a selling point for the PS3 come the holidays and I'm sure Sony will remind everybody with another montage of their 2008 games during the holiday season. If someone wants MGS4 and they haven't bought a PS3 yet for some reason then they will be reminded during the holiday montage. No reason to hold a game back when it's ready.

_Xenon_

Banned
FortunateSon said:
Oh really ? Maybe it's true last year but after this E3 how could you still say so ?

And last time I checked I just can't find a JRPG that has a clear release date and is important enough on PS3. Seriously what are you talking about.

However, the problem is that I don't think any game (even FFXIII) can make either HD console actually take off. Maybe they will see some bumps because of several heavy titles left and right but it's not taking off. Well, at least PS3 has that BD player tag and luckily they won the format war. But for 360 ... I donno, I really hope these netflix / I'm in movie / 1 in 100 buzz can do something.

onipex

_Xenon_ said:

For most of the core gamers, they probably have purchased an HD console already, while PS3 can still capture those non gamers as a cheap BD player.

I wonder if that netflix or live party thing they showed this E3 can attract more users and turn the tide, or they probably will end up 3rd this gen again :/

This post is a little funny.

The PS3 and 360 sales have been pretty pathetic actually. The MGS4 bump is good and all , but Sony is still a long way from taking 2nd place from the 360 in the US. Sony has also been doing a lot of promotions to keep the sales going so it does not seem to be selling that well on its own.

I would rather the PS3 sell as a game system than as a movie player. All those people buying it for movies are not going to help software sales much and software sales are really how the industry grows.

laserbeam

Banned
Onix said:
No.

If I had to guess, I think the increasing PS3 install base is helping it, since a lot of people are realizing how good its connectivity is.

God of War PSP Bundle launched in June.

Top Bottom