• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

Vinci

Danish
marc^o^ said:
Investing on HD now is seen as investing on the future. Teams are trained on technologies that will allow them to remain competitive against other skilled teams. The assets they develop will be reusable on more advanced technologies. Nintendo has always been extremely good in reusing their assets. But this time they didn't take the next gen train, and they will be inexperienced in next gen technologies, when they decide to release a successor to the wii, as opposed to 3rd parties.

3rd parties are well advised not to follow Nintendo's strategy too much: wii is not eternal.

Nintendo will have as long as they need, not to mention significant mindshare, not to mention building the console however they want and knowing it automatically best, to figure out how to make games in HD when their next console launches. They can take their time; the Wii isn't going anywhere but up.

marc^o^ said:
Investing on HD now is seen as investing on the future. Teams are trained on technologies that will allow them to remain competitive against other skilled teams. The assets they develop will be reusable on more advanced technologies. Nintendo has always been extremely good in reusing their assets. But this time they didn't take the next gen train, and they will be inexperienced in next gen technologies, when they decide to release a successor to the wii, as opposed to 3rd parties.

3rd parties are well advised not to follow Nintendo's strategy too much: wii is not eternal.

Jesus.

indie85

Banned
charlequin said:
You say "let alone" like the HD market is more impervious to DD disruption, when as a fledgling format it's probably more vulnerable. DVD isn't going to die any time soon because people have collections and players that still work, but it's already established; BR has to directly compete against DD options (and against inertia keeping people as DVD-only watchers) to get new converts on board.
The HD market is more impervious to DD simply because its damn harder to get HD content to consumers down that phoneline, only when you can stream HD content on the fly to millions of consumers simultaneously will DD ever contend and even then there's no reason to expect DD to achieve a greater market share than the music market.

Vinci

Danish
indie85 said:
The HD market is more impervious to DD simply because its damn harder to get HD content to consumers down that phoneline, only when you can stream HD content on the fly to millions of consumers simultaneously will DD ever contend and even then there's no reason to expect DD to achieve a greater market share than the music market.

You sound like Tretton. But the truth is, it won't have to be HD content. You're thinking quality of picture matters and it doesn't, not in this case.

indie85 said:

But so far it doesnt seem lilke people care too much about HD... all i see is vendors pushing the concept but i dont see people thriving for it...

i see people thriving for

tvs that occupy less space

bigger tvs

wii

nothing will beat the concept of having any movie at your fingertips to rent for a reasonable price without going anywhere... Just look at how movies are consumed... only film fanatics and kids watch movies again and again

indie85

Banned
Vinci said:
You're thinking quality of picture matters and it doesn't, not in this case.
If thats the case then the whole HD movement better pack up their bags now.

But so far it doesnt seem lilke people care too much about HD... all i see is vendors pushing the concept but i dont see people thriving for it...
I see every single person with a HD tv yearning for HD content.

indie85 said:

Vendors are pushing HD, thats all... there is not a strong demand and

there have never been

for high quality video or audio...

people choose convienence always...

also lets not forget that the HD push has another side.. Sony and company also sell proffesional equipment so they want TVs and producers to update to a new format.

indie85

Banned
WWConsoles-11.png

Does someone wanna make a graph comparing the first 20 months of each consoles sales?

I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

DD is of course the future, but I don't think we're anywhere close to the verge of mass adoption. DD has a few hurdles to get over and its not going to go mainstream in a hurry. Rather, I expect the adoption rate to increase at a gradual rate, co-existing with DVD and bluray for a long time, and eventually phasing it out, many many years later.

Right now, HDTV is what's hot and bluray has a good run in store for it. Prices are dropping and people are switching over. Whether some think the extra money is worth or not is a matter of preference, but there is deffinately a market out there for it. That said, bluray will never replace dvd IMO. 1. because bluray players still play dvds and 2. because you have to pay a premium for bluray. Its hard to justify paying the extra cash every time you get a movie, when you could get the cheaper dvd version and have it play on the same machine.

If the price gap between bluray and dvd ever did close though, I could see dvd becoming obsolete.

tl;dr version: There is big bucks to be had in bluray before DD takes over, but bluray will never be as lucrative as dvd.

fernoca

The thing is that the whole "HD thing" will be accepted when it becomes a standard and there are "HD-ier" things out there..

Then you'll have everyone buying HDTVs and blurays and stuff..and you'll have the same ones clamoring HD as the "future", doing the same thing for the next "HD thing"..

So it will never end.. :p

avaya

So the delusional cult of the magic bandwidth fairy are muttering on about DD for rentals replacing DVD for ownership in the next decade. Heh.

Never change.

indie85 said:

Yup. HD isn't a failure or anything, because a market interested in its benefits does exist and will spend money on it, but that market makes up a small part of the overall market for AV content (that is, essentially everyone) and therefore is unlikely to displace the well-established DVD standard soon or, possibly, ever.

I see every single person with a HD tv yearning for HD content.

You definitely don't know anything like a representative sample. The vast majority of people buy HDTVs because (a) they're flat, (b) they're big, (c) they're what's available now, (d) they're "cool," with (e) they're good for watching sports down a little below that, (f) Planet Earth is cool a little below that, and (g) they're good for watching movies in full cinephile quality waaaaaay down the list.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
charlequin said:
You definitely don't know anything like a representative sample. The vast majority of people buy HDTVs because (a) they're flat, (b) they're big, (c) they're what's available now, (d) they're "cool," with (e) they're good for watching sports down a little below that, (f) Planet Earth is cool a little below that, and (g) they're good for watching movies in full cinephile quality waaaaaay down the list.

Dood alls I need is Directv HD and my 360 :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
deepbrown said:
Source for those WW numbers?

Actual US + Actual JPN + Actual Canada + Estimated Europe

Estimated Europe = ELSPA + GfK + minor trackers when explicit numbers are given + press releases + scaled calculations to shipments. There's no denying that this is an estimate and subject to exceptionally large errors and does not represent actual sellthrough.

If these numbers are not acceptable because you (correctly) feel wary about using numbers that have been fudged, or you're worried the source data is not accurate enough, donny also does a version with only US+JPN sales which is 100% free of any kind of GAF-inflicted tampering.

avaya said:
So the delusional cult of the magic bandwidth fairy are muttering on about DD for rentals replacing DVD for ownership in the next decade. Heh.

Never change.

The CEO of Netflix feels this way. He has publicaly stated that he is betting the entire future of his company on DD and says Blu-ray only accounts for "low single digits" of rentals.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Arde5643 said:
This.

To whoever posted before that this game will work wonders if done on the Wii - another agreement here.

Add the Wiimote to simulate mouse interface for level creation and you have made the process more intuitive as well.

Well Nintendo had their chance so sucks for them. And Sony isnt MS. They have successfully marketed both platformers and casual friendly titles before. The problem is the price of the machine its running on.

HK-47 said:
Well Nintendo had their chance so sucks for them. And Sony isnt MS. They have successfully marketed both platformers and casual friendly titles before. The problem is the price of the machine its running on.
Price of the machine, and the limited demographics imposed by that price.

Love the idea, the look, hell anything I've heard of LBP I love, but it's on the wrong platform at the wrong time. PS3 at $200? I could see it garnering success, but it will be out a lot sooner then that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
laserbeam said:
Especially as the US Economy dives. Little Big Planets primary feature is making your own content make no mistake. Theres just no way thats going to appeal to people who are casual just like RPG makers etc arent some run away success.

Little Big Planet has the problem of being a Nintendo Style game on a non nintendo system and sales will reflect that in the long term

If thats Nintendo style, then Sony had made quite a few games like that. It doesnt need a Nintendo system. It needs a popular system.

careful

Starchasing said:

i see people thriving for

tvs that occupy less space

bigger tvs

wii

nothing will beat the concept of having any movie at your fingertips to rent for a reasonable price without going anywhere... Just look at how movies are consumed... only film fanatics and kids watch movies again and again

Starchasing said:
Vendors are pushing HD, thats all... there is not a strong demand and

there have never been

for high quality video or audio...

people choose convienence always...

also lets not forget that the HD push has another side.. Sony and company also sell proffesional equipment so they want TVs and producers to update to a new format.

Sad but true. :(

I love HD picture quality and it's really difficult for me to understand how some people cannot see or simply don't care about the stunning difference between Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and standard def DVD's. I try to rationalize to myself that perhaps they are simply not experiencing hi def on a proper setup: small HDTV, uneducated setup (composite hook-ups), bad HDM source, etc.. but I'm a realist. I know that most people are simply not passionate enough about film to care for a real home theater experience. Movies/TV are simply another disposable form of entertainment for them and as Starchasing mentioned, they will go for convenience.

I can only hope that Blu-Ray creates a significant enough market share for itself to keep the movies coming to the format and co-exist with standard def DVD's and downloads.

At 14 pages with 100 posts per page, I didn't get a chance to see if I echo anyone's sentiments, but this month shows the power of an exclusive. When GTA4 comes out on two consoles, it doesn't help someone decided it's time to buy a console. When a bigtime exclusive comes out on a console, that will help people decide and move some consoles.

onipex

careful said:

I love HD picture quality and it's really difficult for me to understand how some people cannot see or simply don't care about the stunning difference between Blu-Ray/HD-DVD and standard def DVD's. I try to rationalize to myself that perhaps they are simply not experiencing hi def on a proper setup: small HDTV, uneducated setup (composite hook-ups), bad HDM source, etc.. but I'm a realist. I know that most people are simply not passionate enough about film to care for a real home theater experience. Movies/TV are simply another disposable form of entertainment for them and as Starchasing mentioned, they will go for convenience.

I can only hope that Blu-Ray creates a significant enough market share for itself to keep the movies coming to the format and co-exist with standard def DVD's and downloads.

It's also that up-converted dvds are good enough for most people. I know this doesn't mean much , but there are about 15 people at my job who were going to buy the PS3 for blu-ray. 10 decided to just buy up-converted players or the TVs that will up-convert. They all knew that blu-ray looked better then up-converted dvds.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Slavik81 said:
Here's a rough version.
WWConsoles-edited.png

Wow. PS3 is double 360 and Wii is double PS3 basically for the YTD numbers WW.
PS3 is selling faster WW than 360 too...
And Wii kicks both of them in the face.

Gaborn

careful said:

It's the same basic reason people don't buy filet mignon regularly to eat. Sure it's a great, great, great cut of meat, but it's more expensive and you can get the same effect to a lesser extent with a lower priced cut of meat. As the prices of HDTVs and Blu-Ray and the rest drop it will eventually speed adoption rates, but it's going to be a trickle for a LONG time because while there IS a benefit, it's less of a benefit relative to the cost of adopting it.

careful

onipex said:
It's also that up-converted dvds are good enough for most people. I know this doesn't mean much , but there are about 15 people at my job who were going to buy the PS3 for blu-ray. 10 decided to just buy up-converted players or the TVs that will up-convert. They all knew that blu-ray looked better then up-converted dvds.
I agree most people seem satisfied with the quality of upconverted DVD's, although I still have a hard time with it (still too soft/blurry and inferior colors) after seeing the amazing PQ achieved by BD.

I did my share at my job. I convinced three guys to get a PS3 for Blu-Ray. We are now 10 at the office with PS3's. :lol

Gaborn said:
It's the same basic reason people don't buy filet mignon regularly to eat. Sure it's a great, great, great cut of meat, but it's more expensive and you can get the same effect to a lesser extent with a lower priced cut of meat. As the prices of HDTVs and Blu-Ray and the rest drop it will eventually speed adoption rates, but it's going to be a trickle for a LONG time because while there IS a benefit, it's less of a benefit relative to the cost of adopting it.

As much as I love Blu-Ray,
Filet mignon > Blu-Ray
;)

indie85

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Here's a rough version.
WWConsoles-edited.png
Thanks.
Interesting, seems PS3 and X360 were basically neck and neck in their first years but then PS3 really starts to have a better second year. Will be interesting to see if Wii can keep that pace up.

Surfheart

Vey impressive PS3 numbers. I know MGS4 had alot to do with them, but I just can't help but feel the 360 has really lost momentum.

Is it because of RROD? Lack of HD movie playback? It's certainly not from the lack of excellent software. Whenever I'm in game shops now I always seem to see people buying PS3s, conicidental or the sign of an increasing swing to PS3?

onipex

careful said:
I did my share at my job. I convinced three guys to get a PS3 for Blu-Ray. We are now 10 at the office with PS3's. :lol

/QUOTE]

Fight the good fight. The most vocal PS3 owner at my job actually talked a couple people out of buying the PS3 as a blu-ray players. He said he doesn't feel like he get extra value for the extra money they cost. He wants a ton ( twice what the dvd has) of features on Blu-ray and not just a better picture.

He will be getting Batman Begins on blu-ray though.

I'm a DD guy so I don't care if blu-ray takes off or not.

Owzers

Surfheart said:
Vey impressive PS3 numbers. I know MGS4 had alot to do with them, but I just can't help but feel the 360 has really lost momentum.

Is it because of RROD? Lack of HD movie playback? It's certainly not from the lack of excellent software. Whenever I'm in game shops now I always seem to see people buying PS3s, conicidental or the sign of an increasing swing to PS3?

The most obvious answer of not dropping price in forever. Even this $299 20GB they have now won't matter if the 60GB is back to $349.

Gaborn said:

Exactly. And by the time Blu-Ray adoption speeds up it will be way too late in this generation to really help the PS3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Surfheart said:

From what customers have told me, free online seems to be having an effect on people going to PS3 as well.

HK-47 said:
It's gtrue that Sony has been better than MS to pushing platformers before, especially cutesy ones, but I think MS has done so much damage when they reeled Sony in that I don't think the Sony of today is capable of doing what it did in the past.

Sony's corporate philosophy still lies within the dark, gritty, "mature" line of thinking.

Markster

Kagari said:
Wow. PS3 is double 360 and Wii is double PS3 basically for the YTD numbers WW.
PS3 is selling faster WW than 360 too...
And Wii kicks both of them in the face.
uh....
2x10 = 13?

The rest of your post makes sense.

Top Bottom