• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct is F2P, only one fighter is free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seance

Banned
372.gif

Wow, that's a really useful gif for just about anything XBone related.

Sydle

I don't mind. And don't forget how much money Valve makes off accessories in TF2.

Now don't do something stupid like tell me KI is no TF2. The point is that it's a strategy to attract gamers to a console and subscription service.

Also, this is just another move towards games as a service on an all-digital console. I actually like it if they make a great fighter.

So not is it only being developed by Double Helix Games. Who brought us such hits as Silent Hill: Homecoming, Battleship and Green Lanturn: RotM, but it's also F2P..:lol

shuri

Banned
I never got why people treated Killer Instinct like a sacred cow.
the game was mega huge back in the days. It was a new fresh contender after years of SF2 and MK dominations in the arcades. Also the CGI graphics were incredible for it time. It was the first of its kind. you had to be there when it came out. Comparing a fighting game released in 1994 to a modern fighter is just dumb as saying the gameplay is crap by seeing one minute of demo gameplay.

That f2p stuff is complete suicide. I'm a pretty damn hardcore KI fan, i even own the arcade games, but there is no way I'll even bother with this bullshit.

Wiseblade

so it's like sf4, but free.

No, it's like SFIV, but worse. At least in that game all the characters are available to you right out of the gate and players are free to experiment with any of the cast. with Killer Instinct, I have to be willing to commit with my wallet just to try a character out. If it turns out that I don't enjoy playing with a character as much as I thought I would, I have to shell out again to try someone else. Then there's the effect it has on local multiplayer. Running a Killer Instinct tournament becomes an expensive and tedious affair when you have to provide multiple setups with every character purchased. Or the scenario of going to a friend's house only to discover that they havehn't purchased any of the characters you play.

There's a reason that other Free-To-Play games that charge for characters have a regular rotation of free characters: To keep multiplayer diverse and to encourage people to try out the entire cast. Killer Instinct combines the worst elements of Traditional Fighting games and the Free-To-Play model to create a colossal disaster.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I wanted this game for so long and I hate everything theyve shown so far. I cant believe I actually thought MS could revive this franchise in a respectable way.

God. Dammit.

synce

They get someone to develop the game who's never made a fighting game, and now this... on top of it being Xbone exclusive... Definitely not how I pictured the series' return

shuri

Banned
Well, i'm willing to give these guys a try. licensed games are always catastrophic projects but they put food on the table; i'm sure that the guys behind this are really motivated to have a real title of their own.

It seems they worked on several fighting game ports and like I said, they sound very motivated; it just sucks that they went with the F2P model, its almost suicidal.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I don't mind. And don't forget how much money Valve makes off accessories in TF2.

Now don't do something stupid like tell me KI is no TF2. The point is that it's a strategy to attract gamers to a console and subscription service.

Also, this is just another move towards games as a service on an all-digital console. I actually like it if they make a great fighter.

The barrier to game altering content in Valve games is very low (TF2) or nonexistent (Dota 2). Valve's bread and butter in their F2P games are cosmetics.

Also, you can get all the weapons in TF2 for free via trading, or, if you're impatient, $5 (if you game the trading system).

Burai

shitonmychest57
How is it dumb? You're getting a game you don't have to pay a penny to play.

Because you have no incentive to buy any characters outside of your main and the developer has no incentive to fix broken characters that haven't sold well or nerf over-powerful characters that are selling really well.

Imagine a P2P Street Fighter IV. Everyone would buy Ken, Ryu and Sagat and that's it.

That's why P2P doesn't work in every genre.

Cels

Because you have no incentive to buy any characters outside of your main and the developer has no incentive to fix broken characters that haven't sold well or nerf over-powerful characters that are selling really well.

Imagine a P2P Street Fighter IV. Everyone would buy Ken, Ryu and Sagat and that's it.

That's why P2P doesn't work in every genre.
None of those characters are cammy though

KaiserBecks

No, it's like SFIV, but worse. At least in that game all the characters are available to you right out of the gate and players are free to experiment with any of the cast. with Killer Instinct, I have to be willing to commit with my wallet just to try a character out.

...but, you were willing to commit with your wallet when you bought SFIV. You already paid for every single character.

If it turns out that I don't enjoy playing with a character as much as I thought I would, I have to shell out again to try someone else. Then there's the effect it has on local multiplayer. Running a Killer Instinct tournament becomes an expensive and tedious affair when you have to provide multiple setups with every character purchased. Or the scenario of going to a friend's house only to discover that they havehn't purchased any of the characters you play.

Maybe the game will recognize your purchases when you log in as a second player and unlocks them as long as you're playing? That would require an online connection even for local multiplayer, of course. But I guess that's not a concern given the system you bought.

Wow. I usually have to play like 10 characters in a game before I decide which one will be my main. Hopefully the prices match up so that you are only paying for an average full game.

The prices will matter cause I am willing to drop $60 to get all the characters, but not $100+.
Also, I would hope it won't be like current DLC where you can only fight characters you have (Injustice?).

The actual game seems to be getting great reviews from some of the fighting game players and other developers. This was the game that was going to sell me an Xbone, but damn not if this f2p turns out to be a rip off.

Evilisk

Nyoro SF

LOL F2P.

Well I wasn't interested before, and now I'm really not interested.

Want to try out a character? Want to use features you used to take for granted? Keep paying up.

Nymerio

LOL F2P.

Well I wasn't interested before, and now I'm really not interested.

Want to try out a character? Want to use features you used to take for granted? Keep paying up.

They haven't really detailed anything about the F2P stuff, right? At least not in the linked article. So for all we know you may be able to try out characters in a training mode, or there may be a rotation of free characters.

But hey, let's jump to conclusions.

ToxicAdam

This is pretty gross.

I don't mind F2P, in fact I've been a supporter for quite some time, but F2P doesn't belong in a fighting game.

Not that it really matters to me, KI is one of the worst fighting games I have played. So, it's merely exploiting those that have a nostalgia factor for the series.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
dead franchise + f2p x shovelware developer

what could possibly go wrong

Blueblur1

This news is terrible. Its as if Microsoft has no idea what people want. If they put the tiniest effort into listening to their audience they'd know this is not the way a fighting game should be released. This is not what that audience wants.

Arjen

hahahahahahaha

Because of my nostalgia KI was the only thing were i went, damn i'm gonna miss that.
That's gone now, awesome.

Veezy

que?
Ladies and gentlemen, it seems your hype was misplaced to begin with.

Let's be completely clear, this game isn't being developed by Rare. It's being developed by Double Helix. Makers of hits such as:

Silent Hill Homecoming - 64 on metacritic
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - 40s on metacritic
Battleship: The movie, the game - 40s on metacritic
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters - 50s to low 60s on metacritic

You guys really think this shit was going to be good to begin with? Come on, son.

The "pay for characters" thing works in something like League of Legends when you have dozens of characters and the player starts out with several to choose from. Starting out with one basically just turns the base game into a glorified demo.

jonno394

It makes sense, as in every fighter i've owned i've only really played as a small proportion of the characters.

I think a F2P fighter should have all characters unlocked, but you can only play as them for say 2 fights each. AT least then you get a taste of each fighter so you know what you're investing your money in.

Somnid

I'm definitely on the F2P hater-force but that actually doesn't seem as bad as one would think. Most people stick to a only a handful of characters and maybe sample the others. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $60 for this type of fighting game in 2013 that's for sure. As long as the total cost isn't adding up to something ridiculous like twice a normal game I'll be okay with it (I understand that's not super likely).

This is going to be like playing Street Fighter IV on launch week, times a thousand.

I still remember it so vividly. So many Kens. So many Kens...

LOL wow, I've got no words for this

Pack it up microsoft, I was actually gonna keep up with this in info and vids but first double helix and F2P game

Lmao wow.

Fulgore and Spinal will probably cost the most

jkanownik

Best Buy has $60 retail SKU setup on their site. I would assume that means there are two options for players to play this game:

1) FTP w/ 1 character and option to buy more
2) Full $60 purchase with all launch characters available, DLC later with more characters

If this is the case I don't see a problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom