• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killlzone Shadow Fall's SP runs at unlocked frame rate

I've played hundreds of games at unlocked framerate. Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, God of War 3, God Of War Ascension - it feels way better than 30FPS.

Yea, what is everyone fussing about. All my PC fps are tweaked to run between 40-60fps (best performance vs graphics IMO).

It'd be better off locket at 30 than variable slightly above it. Hopefully they offer an option or patch in locked 30fps because a variable framerate is terrible for most games as it makes it seem like the game is constantly experiencing slowdown when it's switching from a slightly higher framerate to a slightly lower one.

coldfoot

Banned
I had no problems with GOW3, had the "feel of 60fps" for me, so this is great news. Guess I'm immune to judder.
Sucks for those who can't stand it though.

I have a question: Can games shoot for 40fps and it plays judder free with 120Hz TV's but with judder with 60Hz TV's? Wouldn't that be a good compromise and an opportunity for Sony to sell you a 120Hz TV? Can the PS4 output 120Hz?

waypoetic

Banned
r5Q7qsK.gif
What a lazy gif...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I had no problems with GOW3, had the "feel of 60fps" for me, so this is great news. Guess I'm immune to judder.
Sucks for those who can't stand it though.

I have a question: Can games shoot for 40fps and it plays judder free with 120Hz TV's but with judder with 60Hz TV's? Wouldn't that be a good compromise and an opportunity for Sony to sell you a 120Hz TV? Can the PS4 output 120Hz?

I'm glad I can't really see judder either. I'm very picky when it comes to PQ but I don't notice it at all.

A 120Hz TV should be able to output a 40fps game without judder.

Has it been mentioned anywhere if there are contextual in-game moments where the rate will jump? Or is the variation strictly based on the action happening on-screen that the gamer creates? I could appreciate the rate jumping up during those 'focus' moments in the stealth video. That would be very cool, extra frames during the slow mo. Do I know what I'm talking about?

So it's not 60 fps. Goddammit.

Single player campaign was never going to be 60fps. Multiplayer is 60fps though.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
GG said they would lock it at 30 FPS, but I guess they decided against it.
wL5mrHs.jpg

Thoughts? Very strange no?

Minimum FPS = 30
Max FPS = 60
With V-sync of course

If it enables v-sync, it will be at 30 fps most the time and occasionally jump to 60. I don't think that is what he is saying. Either they are triple buffering or the have a solution like GoW3 with motion blur to mask the effect.

They must have a greater than 30 fps a significant amount of the time and don't want to waste it. I trust them, they know their tech.

Perkel

Banned
If it enables v-sync, it will be at 30 fps most the time and occasionally jump to 60. I don't think that is what he is saying. Either they are triple buffering or the have a solution like GoW3 with motion blur to msk the effect.

GOW3 had triplebuffering

Vidpixel

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this, especially after reading Jeff Gerstmann's tweets. Like with anything, I guess we'll have to wait and see how the final product turns out. This kind of frame rate fluctuation is usually pretty noticeable, though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i imagine if they went from locked 30 to this, that it runs at 60 the vast majority of the time, otherwise i think it would appear worse then locked at 30. so, great news!

I like unlocked framerate, I must be inmune to judder (I'm not inmune to stutter at all, though). If you have 10 more FPS, five them to me. Thank you GG.

Locking games to 30 or 60 doesn't always solve stutter if it's there to begin with, btw.

Piggus

Ugh. Variable framerate is the worst. If your game averages between 30 and 60, lock it at 30, dammit. The constant switching between 30 and 60 fps with vsync is very jarring.

If it has triple buffering then fine. Would still rather they lock at 30 and improve latency.

Ateron

Can't they add the option to lock/unlock the framerate?Bioshock1-3 allowed this,so it musn't be that hard to implement.that way everybody's happy.

Pop

This is going to be a bad decision and there's going to be too many people who refuse to admit it.

So now you don't trust GG? jesus

They have already stated it's running between 35-40fps, so it's most likely rarely going above 40(unless staring at the sky) and not below 30. How is that bad? Pls one of you who think you know better than GG themselves, explain why it's soooo bad.

jett

D-Member
No it didn't, go read the DF article.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-god-of-war-ascension

9lxYD9C.gif

Be that as it may, the theory that technical advances are slowing in this regard does hold water when compared with God of War 3, which improved its frame-rate over the demo by as much as 15FPS in like-for-like sequences, and even more during battle. In the end, however, we're left with very similar playing fields in each final product; both games runs triple-buffered with an unlocked frame-rate

Perfect solution for most people I think. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

You've got a ton of people bitching about the difference in "feel" when you go from the single player to the multi-player. With an un-locked framerate they can bridge that.

Maybe if so many people didn't piss and whine about it they wouldn't have tried to find an in-between lol.

Am I the only one here who isn't able to discern between frame rates? 30 fps, 60 fps. These are just numbers to me

You can discern it quite easily. If you play games at 60fps for about a week and then turn on a game that runs at 30fps, you'll swear it's choppy.

In the SP footage, I'm so used to high FPS that I can tell some scenes are running lower than 30FPS -- like that outdoor scene with the trees and stuff. It's moving very choppy.

-M

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
If it works like NVIDIA Adaptive VSync then i'm all for this. Lock if it reaches 60 fps, unlock if it dips below. Playing the game at 40-50fps is better than locked 30 fps.

Leb

So I guess some people have concluded that GG has single-handedly solved one of the intractable problems in computer graphics through software alone.

Tearing or judder, pick one.

And naturally the game will, occasionally, drop below 30 fps because you can't operate that close to the threshold without the rare disastrous edge case dragging you under.

AgentP

In terms of post-processing effects, the game is given an additional boost in realism thanks to an impressive implementation of motion blur. Superficially, it's a similar system to that seen in previous technological showcases like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Killzone 2, and helps to smooth some of the judder caused by a frame-rate that can vary between anything from 30 frames per second to 60.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-making-of-god-of-war-iii?page=3

They never claimed triple buffering originally, so maybe years later for the Ascension article they either finally did or the new author just assumed it. Someone got it wrong at DF.

dr_rus

If it works like NVIDIA Adaptive VSync then i'm all for this. Lock if it reaches 60 fps, unlock if it dips below. Playing the game at 40-50fps is better than locked 30 fps.
Or it can actually work with v-sync always, you know. There should be enough memory to implement triple buffering for that.

AgentP

Triple buffering is the simplest and most natural solution, a small amount of added latency, but no more tearing or judder. Who cares about the memory needed for the extra buffer, the PS4 has plenty and it is not hampered by a small 32MB pool of RAM.

keezy

I'm still curious to see how the MP is. I haven't played any games from the KZ franchise until this past week. The mechanics felt off. They could release the prettiest game imaginable and have it running at 1080/60fps but if the mechanics are shot I'm not interested. It felt like my character was moving in quicksand. If the MP is anywhere near the old KZ's I'm going to sell my PS4. There aren't any other titles I'm too interested in. I'll be content with CS:GO on PC.

Thrakier

Triple buffering is the simplest and most natural solution, a small amount of added latency, but no more tearing or judder. Who cares about the memory needed for the extra buffer, the PS4 has plenty and it is not hampered by a small 32MB pool of RAM.

Triple Buffering is not related to stuttering. A game can an will stutter if it's not locked at 30 or 60fps, no matter the triple buffering.

The Lamp

Unlocked framerate is the worst. I have no idea why developers choose to do this.

Because 30-60 fps is a higher framerate than 30 fps locked the whole time. I have no idea why people don't get this? It's never going to look unsmooth as long as it doesn't go below 30. I don't believe it looks jarring at all to have it continuously transition between 30-60.

Why would you want to purposefully handicap your framerate?

Top Bottom