• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come Deliverance 2 will run at 30 FPS on Consoles

GHG

Gold Member
Because the point of discussion in this thread being raised is that 25% extra RAM is directly responsible for this game being 'only' 25% bigger, which is kind of an absurd point since the entire game world is not residing in memory at one time anyway.

Why do you think he felt the need to bring up the Series S' ram situation then? For the fun of it?

You are completely free at any time to youtube *PS5 port 1060 gtx benchmark* and look at the results. The 1060 is a 6 year old card by the way.

These will be more fit for purpose:

Total RAM across both GPU+CPU are 16GB and 12GB respectively in the videos above.

Ideally you'd actually want to test one of AMD's new APUs with ~8GB system ram and see how it gets on in games.

Last edited:

Robochobo

It also has 6GB of VRAM, any PC in vids like that also has probably ~16GB of RAM.

Game uses 12GB of system RAM and maxes out 6GB of 1060. Tell me this will run fine on Series S...

I'm absolutely done with you because apparently you still can't understand. PC and console RAM configurations and usage and two different things.

I gave you a GPU, from 2018, with 6GB VRAM, that can run ANY PS5 port that's been on PC, and somehow... just somehow... you honestly believe the Series S is incapable of outperforming it let alone matching it.

Senua's Saga JUST released. It's minimum recommended specs call for 16GB RAM. Apparently the Series S people used to play it don't exist to you.

I'm done with this. I'm not losing anymore braincells bro.

Bojji

I'm absolutely done with you because apparently you still can't understand. PC and console RAM configurations and usage and two different things.

I gave you a GPU, from 2018, with 6GB VRAM, that can run ANY PS5 port that's been on PC, and somehow... just somehow... you honestly believe the Series S is incapable of outperforming it let alone matching it.

Senua's Saga JUST released. It's minimum recommended specs call for 16GB RAM. Apparently the Series S people used to play it don't exist to you.

I'm done with this. I'm not losing anymore braincells bro.

This discussion started when you said that Sony games (made for PS5) would run on systems with 6/8GB RAM

Would you like to list these constructed for PS5 games that wouldn't be capable of running on 6/8GB ram systems on PC?
I'll give you a hint, (there are none)

PC games always needed more memory than console versions, that's why PC players have ton of system RAM, yet some people here claim that PC is the lowest common denominator for developers. This is RIDICULOUS.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Always remember this.

If a game "unable" to run 60fps on console, it most probably will run really unoptimized on PC as well. I think most PCMR already knew this.

On a serious note, game does not look like a CPU intensive game, lets be honest, the number of working NPC on screen probably less than 15-20 .

Reminds me of dragons dogma 2, I still cant see how it was a "cpu invensive" game, i heard the AI is kinda buggy in the game?

Last edited:

Bojji

Always remember this.

If a game "unable" to run 60fps on console, it most probably will run really unoptimized on PC as well. I think most PCMR already knew this.

On a serious note, game does not look like a CPU intensive game, lets be honest, the number of working NPC on screen probably less than 15-20 .

Reminds me of dragons dogma 2, I still cant see how it was a "cpu invensive" game, i heard the AI is kinda buggy in the game?

First KKD was (and still is) very cpu intensive, I wasn't able to get stable 60fps in this game on Ryzen 3600 (maybe even on 5600x as well) and they are increasing everything with sequel. I think cry engine just wasn't made for this type of game, same way that RE engine struggles in DD2

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Good 👍

Means they’re not holding it back for outdated console tech
100%.

Also people stating that it's only 25% bigger, that translation seems hella vague and dodge, considering Vávra has confirmed many a time that it's about double the size (the map at least) of the old game.

Last edited:
just let me choose to make it look last gen with 60fps do not force 30 fps on me.

No. The devs should not waste time on features like this for consoles. Also let's not forget the CPUs on consoles are dogshit. I don't think it's just a case of cranking the res and getting stable 60.

They are a relatively small studio making a niche game, console players should be thankful they even get the game.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Translation is accurate, but what I know, is that the Zing.cz staff aren't the brightest minds. So I would like to see the actual slides from that conference

Markio128

Gold Member
I honestly don’t care one way or the other. I’ve recently played both Stellar Blade and FF7 R in 30fps mode, and enjoyed them immensely.

What’s most important to me is whether it’s a good game or not.

Denton

The CPU requirement comes from the game simulating every NPC on the map at all times. Of course simulation of those outside of player's radius is simplified, but it is still there. That is how you can have every NPC be persistent, have daily schedules, have their own inventories, be interactive. The game does not despawn NPCs when you leave and respawn them from scratch when getting close like most other open world games.

Plus Kuttenberg is likely to be very demanding given how many of these NPCs will be present there. It is not like Novigrad in Witcher 3 where NPCs are all static and non-interactive.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
First game was a huge cpu slog, remember the game not even hitting 60's on a 9900k at the time.
It doesn’t sound particularly well optimised in that sense.

From interviews they are saying the sequel is consistently above 30fps on consoles. To me, that sounds like thats including even the taxing locations. If thats the case, then just give us a 40 fps (VRR unlocked etc) mode and call it a day.

Last edited:
From the article:

As reported on the Czech website Zing.cz, during the ongoing Game Access event in Brno, Czech Republic, producer Martin Klíma confirmed that the Xbox Series S technical limitations, namely the 10 GB of RAM, have impacted Kingdom Come Deliverance 2's scope. As the weakest current generation console has only 25% more RAM, Warhorse Studios decided to make the game only 25% bigger than its predecessor. This isn't the first time we have heard how Microsoft's console impacted the development of multiplatform games, but it is still disappointing.

lmao
uhZNhqM.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm going to try to straddle the line here and agree with multiple people. I think war horse made a really ambitious game with the first one. All the systems and stuff going on with the physics and the world complexities, it's understandable for the next one to be amped up and run at 30 on current generation consoles. Just as long as they can push the visual envelope and not have to worry about compromising their vision, I think 30 frames is fine.

I play 30 frames on my steam deck with medium to high settings right now. It runs great and I can lock it to 30 at native resolution without even using FSR. I found out the hard way because I thought using FSR would better performance but this particular game on the steam thing runs better at native resolution with higher settings than FSR with lower settings in my findings on my steam deck OLED.

Kingdom come is one of the most ambitious games I played in the genre. I'm working my way through the Witcher 3 which unfortunately I put down but it's the best game of this type that I played. The Witcher 3 will probably equal or knock it off its perch for me but if you play the first game and know all the systems, this is a very rich and rewarding game that has its challenges but in a very fun way if you want to immerse yourself into the game.

If you play any game and you don't commit somewhat and you just will pop out 5 hours into a 20 hour campaign, I don't know what you're doing playing video games. If you give the game a chance and understand that it's not going to hold you by the hand and have a rewarding combat system that may present some challenges at first, there is a very rich and deep game with so many things to do in a beautifully designed world that can stand up to any other game in its own right.

Knowing all of this, I'm glad to read that they're going to have the full suite of technologies on PC. We can at least play around with having a combination of dlss or FSR in conjunction with frame generation or reflex. You have to love options and the fact that we can control this experience on pc, that's great.

Sure it may involve a barrier of entry because the nicer the hardware, the more accessibility you'll have to customize the experience with no compromise. But regardless of whatever people say about the engine, it is a very nice looking game and if they improve the LOD and other little systems to enhance the game, this should look significantly better in the detail department where in the first game you could clearly see the distance was compromised to keep performance and memory and check. It did an absolutely awesome job and I haven't modded the game but I'm sure maybe there is a way to increase it.

The point is that this really isn't some bad news or anything at all. It just shows you that they're being really ambitious like the first game and it's going to crank it up even more in all the regards that made the first game exceptional. It's one of the best games I've played in a long time and stays total with any game in this genre.

On another note that I was just reading earlier in the thread, wasn't this game designed for last generation consoles as well? So I would think that if the rising tides would raise all boats, this will be a more richer and detailed experience that you can already see on the screen is quite nice. The first game already looked really nice and cutscenes and general gameplay with the characters and just the way everything fit. This just looks to amp every detail up the way you would want it to be considering it's jumping a generation forward and hardware.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Console gamers angry about this, it's time to graduate to PC gaming. It took me some time, but it isn't so tough to save up some cash over time. I never wanted to deal with 30fps again. Plus once you get into modding, it's a whole new world.

They did, they held the entire game back because of the Xbox Series S.

So, if that's true why isn't it 60fps on the PS5?

I love this energy. Use it every time there is a console release of a game in the future because consoles always hold back games. The 360 was the only console where that didn't happen for like 4 months.

RyRy93

So, if that's true why isn't it 60fps on the PS5?
They’re saying it can run comfortably above 30 already though and that’s before loads of optimization, they could have been more ambitious from the start and still hit 30 by launch

Fake

Is useless making comparisons with PC counterpart.

PC don't use GDDR as a DDR like initially PS4 started the conpect, not to mention API on Playstation and Nintendo consoles are far beyond what PC and even Android can do because they are dedicated gaming API.

The only way PC do things as usual is to brute force their games/emulation.

DavidGzz

They’re saying it can run comfortably above 30 already though and that’s before loads of optimization, they could have been more ambitious from the start and still hit 30 by launch

The difference between the S and the X and PS5 is tiny compared to the disparity in PC setups. What would the difference be if the S didn't exist? A barely noticeable difference in shadows and draw distance? And you'd still be stuck with 30fps so it's still crap.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
From the article:

As reported on the Czech website Zing.cz, during the ongoing Game Access event in Brno, Czech Republic, producer Martin Klíma confirmed that the Xbox Series S technical limitations, namely the 10 GB of RAM, have impacted Kingdom Come Deliverance 2's scope. As the weakest current generation console has only 25% more RAM, Warhorse Studios decided to make the game only 25% bigger than its predecessor. This isn't the first time we have heard how Microsoft's console impacted the development of multiplatform games, but it is still disappointing.

lmao
That Achilles heel shitbox again.

Denton

PC don't use GDDR as a DDR like initially PS4 started the conpect, not to mention API on Playstation and Nintendo consoles are far beyond what PC and even Android can do because they are dedicated gaming API.

The only way PC do things as usual is to brute force their games/emulation.
This is Fake.

These days when consoles run x86 and PCs have low-level APIs in DX12 and Vulkan, the difference in good PC coding and console "to the metal" coding is miniscule. As in when you compare a well coded game on both platforms, it will perform roughly equally. That has been proven again and again.

It will also run at 30fps on 98% of the pcs commenting on it in this thread

While I appreciate the display of console fanboy insecurity, most enthusiast PC gamers (on this forum or out) have faster CPUs these days then Ryzen 3600.
Hell, Ryzen 5700X3D costs what, 200 bucks these days?

Last edited:

onQ123

Will it stay 30fps through?

Haven't we seen this play out a few times now?

Most likely will get a patch with 60 fps some time after release.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member

Must likely will get a patch with 60 fps some time after release.
Didn’t happen with the first game why would this one magically get better treatment?

Zathalus

The 25% more RAM led to a 25% larger world sounds like a joke for two reasons, the Series S has 60% more available RAM compared to the PS4, and game world size doesn't scale with available RAM anyways.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

Didn’t happen with the first game why would this one magically get better treatment?
While I don’t think the team is on the bleeding edge of technology by any means, one reason could be is that the first game was made by a skeleton crew compared to the second one.

The lack of a 60fps patch for the first game is embarrassing though. Game looks and runs hideous on consoles.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Must likely will get a patch with 60 fps some time after release.

I would like for the first game to get a 60 FPS patch first, so I can finally play it before the sequel.

Fake

This is Fake.

These days when consoles run x86 and PCs have low-level APIs in DX12 and Vulkan, the difference in good PC coding and console "to the metal" coding is miniscule. As in when you compare a well coded game on both platforms, it will perform roughly equally. That has been proven again and again.

I don't think this was well proved, unless you take cases apart.

Even Digital Foundry keep trying to build up PCs with similar specs to mimic consoles, in some cases they can, but majority don't fair equal to what consoles can offer.

Again, optimization is key part. You could mention that in some cases the console port is terrible and in others the pc port is the terrible one.

Not to mention most of the technology was bring from consoles to PC. The Nvidia pursuit of reconstruction that created DLSS came from the initial PS4pro cb in mind. Since them many companies tried to figure out ways of their engine to offer what normally console do to archieve better frame rate at the cost of resolution.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Oh the devs had a vision so grand, they could only manage 30 fps on console. Shame, my wallet doesn't acknowledge games that run under 60 fps on console.

octos

Neo Member
The CPU requirement comes from the game simulating every NPC on the map at all times. Of course simulation of those outside of player's radius is simplified, but it is still there. That is how you can have every NPC be persistent, have daily schedules, have their own inventories, be interactive. The game does not despawn NPCs when you leave and respawn them from scratch when getting close like most other open world games.

Plus Kuttenberg is likely to be very demanding given how many of these NPCs will be present there. It is not like Novigrad in Witcher 3 where NPCs are all static and non-interactive.
They don't need to be updated every frame, and not simultaneously. In fact, such NPCs can be updated very unfrequently that it's not going to use much CPU at all, if anything it's more of a memory issue. Warping is fine too (no need to simulate movement). So this is purely an optimization effort, because programming scalable behavior (meaning the results will be the same) requires some programming effort, but if you want performance, it's absolutely necessary.

Tchu-Espresso

Why is this a surprise when even the first game runs at 30fps on modern consoles. How could you expect 60fps from a bigger more detailed game 7 years later.
The game was never updated for the current gen. It runs at 30fps while using fairly garbage settings. To think it couldn’t be updated to run at 60fps is silly.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
On another note that I was just reading earlier in the thread, wasn't this game designed for last generation consoles as well? So I would think that if the rising tides would raise all boats, this will be a more richer and detailed experience that you can already see on the screen is quite nice. The first game already looked really nice and cutscenes and general gameplay with the characters and just the way everything fit. This just looks to amp every detail up the way you would want it to be considering it's jumping a generation forward and hardware.
Kinda sortsa. If I remember correctly, original plan for KCD had a much larger game that followed three act structure and combined content from KCD1 and KCD2 into one game, but they didn't had resources to pull it off and decided to rework the third act into a proper sequel. Considering the "official" development of the sequel started in a very late cycle of last generation, I would assume the second game was first created on high end PCs and on a same engine, but with intention to have the game released on next-gen consoles as well

Last edited:

Denton

the Series S has 60% more available RAM compared to the PS4

I thought PS4 has 8GB, while Series S has 10GB (of which 8 is fairly fast and 2 is very slow).

They don't need to be updated every frame, and not simultaneously.

I literally said it is simplified for AI outside of player radius. But it is still expensive. Just relaying what the devs said is the biggest CPU eater.

Top Bottom