• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGDOM HEARTS Franchise has been released on Steam for $99.99 (currently -35% Off)

Fake

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on Critical still one of the GOAT action-RPG experiences. Conquering the Cavern of Remembrance and all of the level 99 data fights earns you some serious gamer cred.

The only thing that got my attention in this game is the Cavern of Remembrance to be honest.

I find Birth by Sleep far better with the pacing and gameplay.

nikos

Tempted to pick this up because it would probably be fun on Steam Deck. GMG has the entire bundle for $56.57.

Kind of want to play in order but it sounds like the story is convoluted anyway.

Last time I tried 1.5 it felt dated, probably because of the game's narrow camera and FOV, but I feel like I should give it another chance and it would probably feel better on a handheld. Steam release broke some mods, including ultrawide, which is unfortunate.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Poor analogy. Harry Potter novels were sequential and available in paper format as well as digital.

Kingdom Hearts had three numbered entries with upwards of 5 games released on different consoles between the first and third entry. I had a PS2 where I played the first two numbered entries. I don't want to buy a PSP, DS, 3DS or a GBA to play one game to understand a narrative. I also don't like the format or gameplay of some entries which is why I didn't play the re-releases.

Mate, all the games have been available to play on a single platform, barring one title (dream drop distance), since the 7th generation. That isn't much of an excuse anymore.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Tempted to pick this up because it would probably be fun on Steam Deck. GMG has the entire bundle for $56.57.

Kind of want to play in order but it sounds like the story is convoluted anyway.

Last time I tried 1.5 it felt dated, probably because of the game's narrow camera and FOV, but I feel like I should give it another chance and it would probably feel better on a handheld. Steam release broke some mods, including ultrawide, which is unfortunate.
Its showing $68.99 for me. I would definitely get at $56, though.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
before we see a lot of buyers remorse. I’ve owned this franchise since day 1 and it has one of the most monotonous build ups out of any game I’ve ever played beyond those very niche NIS JRPGs.

But those finales are all pretty great. Usually a final level with harder mobs, great drops and treasure, ridiculous music and final bosses that usually have like four stages minimum. I dunno, PS2 era RPGs are second only to 16 bit era RPGs in capturing the feeling I most associate the genre with.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
before we see a lot of buyers remorse. I’ve owned this franchise since day 1 and it has one of the most monotonous build ups out of any game I’ve ever played beyond those very niche NIS JRPGs.
The ending sucks, but I've always been fascinated by the games because of the Square/Disney mash-up and the combat challenges of 2 and 3.

nikos

Just tried 1.5. The camera makes it really difficult to play and I'm reading existing mods don't work with this version. I'd have also liked to play it on Steam Deck. Tried 2.5 and it's way better.

I may give it another shot but I'm not sure I can get used to it.

Last edited:

Larxia

Just tried 1.5. The camera makes it really difficult to play and I'm reading existing mods don't work with this version. I'd have also liked to play it on Steam Deck. Tried 2.5 and it's way better.

I may give it another shot but I'm not sure I can get used to it.
The camera is indeed awful in KH1, it has a HUGE latency, it feels even worse than if you were playing a cloud game lol
The weird thing though is that if you try it with a mouse, the camera is very reactive and move instantly, so I don't know why it has this much delay with the stick, because clearly it can work a lot better already given how it behaves with a mouse.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Well, not as much as I was thinking it would be (i.e. $69 on sale). I think the first two collections were $15 each and KH3+Remind was $20 on EGS on sale. So only a difference of $20 or so.

Do all three games have native ultra wide support this time. Or is it the same shit as on EGS where it's only "supported" for part of the games?

Its showing $68.99 for me. I would definitely get at $56, though.
They're saying it's $56 on greenmangaming

Last edited:

Larxia

It worked!

This is weird tho, why is GMG hiding the price like that unless you login first? Trying not to broadcast the fact they undercut steam?
It's because the base sale is -31%, but it adjusts depending on the XP on your account. If you are "bronze" you get -43%, and if you are silver or gold maybe even more (not sure).

Last edited:

SunRayzer

Neo Member
For me the prices for the Integrum Masterpiece version are like this (in Germany):

Steam: 68.99 € (99.99 € - 31 %)
Humble: 68.99 € (99.99 € - 31 %)
Humble (with Choice discount): 58.64 € (99.99 € - 31 % Store discount - 15 % Choice discount)
GMG: 68.99 € (99.99 € - 31 %)
GMG (with Gold discount): 56.57 € (99.99 € - 31 % - 18 % Gold (or Bronze+) discount)

It's interesting that this all-in-one version is not on Epic Games Store and the games are not on sale on EGS either right now. Melody of Memory (the rhythm game) seems to still be EGS exclusive.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
To anyone looking to buy this: Dont. The series is mediocre.

It is a waste of time. KH1 sucks all the way through. KH2 and Birth by Sleep are decent but kinda weird. At least intriguing though. Dream Drop Distance could have been an email, and KH3 is so utterly full of asspulls that any potential emotion is non existant

simpatico

Be very careful. All the trans people on the purple forum still had their Johnsons when they played Kingdom Hearts the first time. I’m not saying it’s the reason, but I’m also not saying it’s not.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

It is a waste of time. KH1 sucks all the way through. KH2 and Birth by Sleep are decent but kinda weird. At least intriguing though. Dream Drop Distance could have been an email, and KH3 is so utterly full of asspulls that any potential emotion is non existant
Sad Money GIF by G2 Esports

hemo memo

Gold Member

Nah it’s really worth it as you can see how every game is different in its own beautiful way, gameplay wise. Ignore the story though.

Last edited:

Larxia

I found the story to be incredibly easy to follow, until Dream Drop Distance. That fucked me up hard.
Same. Before Dream Drop Distance, I never understood why people complained this much about the story, it was fine honestly, you just had to accept that some words they use (like hearts, world etc) aren't the litteral things we know, they are different concepts, but if you accept how it all works in KH, it was totally understandable.

Then Dream Drop Distance arrived, added timelines, dreams and time travel to the mix and it got incredibly confusing and made KH3 very hard to understand sometimes too. It's also not helped by the fact that the mobile games are important to the story too...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Same. Before Dream Drop Distance, I never understood why people complained this much about the story, it was fine honestly, you just had to accept that some words they use (like hearts, world etc) aren't the litteral things we know, they are different concepts, but if you accept how it all works in KH, it was totally understandable.

Then Dream Drop Distance arrived, added timelines, dreams and time travel to the mix and it got incredibly confusing and made KH3 very hard to understand sometimes too. It's also not helped by the fact that the mobile games are important to the story too...

Thankfully the mobile games needed for the narrative are very limited. Essentially "There was Master of Masters and his pupils. A lie propagated and a war began. Many died."
And that is really all that happens until future games actually try to expand on this. Thankfully the movie in the prequel title to 3 explained the important bits.

Rocky launch on Steam for sure. Works well on Steam deck but the games had no bugs fixed from epic. ReCom's control scheme is royally fucked and remapping the controls makes it even worse.

No ultrawide support

No 16:10 support so deck isn't even running on its native aspect ratio.

Tons of audio bugs, bugs that have existed since ps3 or longer are still in the game. I see it had a mostly positive rating on Steam so I'm glad people are actually pointing out flaws. 7000 xt gpus can't even play the games too lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rocky launch on Steam for sure. Works well on Steam deck but the games had no bugs fixed from epic. ReCom's control scheme is royally fucked and remapping the controls makes it even worse.

No ultrawide support

No 16:10 support so deck isn't even running on its native aspect ratio.

Tons of audio bugs, bugs that have existed since ps3 or longer are still in the game. I see it had a mostly positive rating on Steam so I'm glad people are actually pointing out flaws. 7000 xt gpus can't even play the games too lol
Well I'm sold

nikos

Played KH 1.5 for a few hours. It definitely feels better on Steam Deck than on PC, even with an ultrawide mod. If the camera/FOV mod is updated, I'll try it again on PC but the close camera and narrow FOV aren't as jarring on a smaller display.

I don't mind at all because the Steam Deck was starting to sit and the game looks nice on OLED.

Last edited:
Top Bottom