• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami producer says it would be ‘the dream’ for Kojima to return to Metal Gear

kojima-mgs-1024x576.jpg

Noriaki Okamura made the comments during a Japanese live stream on Friday, with the caveat that he wasn’t assuming Kojima and his former colleagues would necessarily feel the same way.

Kojima split from Konami in 2015, following a mysterious falling out following the conclusion of Metal Gear Solid 5. While Kojima still regularly talks about Metal Gear, he no longer has any control over the property.

However, it would appear that tensions between the pair may have cooled in the years since.
Asked if there was any chance of original staff members working on Metal Gear again during Friday’s live stream, Konami producer Okamura replied: “It’s not my place to answer on behalf of anyone outside the company, or to guess how they might feel about it.

“But just speaking for myself, personally, I’d like nothing better than to work with Mr. Kojima and the rest of the team again. If that could happen, it would be the dream.

“But people have moved on to new things and new commitments, so that’s just our current reality. We can’t just take for granted that everyone would work with us again, or let ourselves be completely dependent on them.”
He added: “I just don’t think it’s right for us to be the ones to make that kind of demand of anyone. So we’re working with the expectation that whatever we make, it’s up to us, it’s on our shoulders to do a good job.”

According to Okamura, “many” staff from the original Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater development team are already working on the upcoming remake. The main external developer working on the game is Virtuos.

Okamura himself was a producer for many Metal Gear spin-off games, including Metal Gear Acid 2, Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus, and Metal Gear Survive.
In Friday’s live stream, the producer went on to claim that, like with the recent Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection, Kojima and the original staff will be credited in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 3 remake in some form.

“Since we had a lot of questions about this, Mr. Kojima and all the original development staff are of course credited for their original roles,” he said. “They were already included in the Master Collection, and they’ll be listed in Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater as well. They’re a part of these games too, so absolutely, they’re in.”

hyperbertha

After what they done to him?

I'm a diehard Metal Gear fan (God knows how much I want a new game - a continuation of Snake or Big Boss story), but Kojima is a retard if he collabs with Konami ever again.
Not if they offer enough money to make up for it. Besides he doesn't have to work under them

hinch7

After they shunted him out of the company. Doubt.

Would be a nice though. Though with some people returning for the remake, thats promising for the remake and hopefully, more MGS releases in the future.

Why would he, after they fucked him over?...

Some people here are saying he will come if they offer him enough money, but I really don't think he cares about money.

He strikes me as a Hideki Kamiya type. Quite a big ego, but at the end of the day, they deeply care about their games, and achieving their visions.

And Konami wanted to do other things. Other completely stupid things.
Which led to MGS 5 being what it is (Mostly wasted potential for something bigger and better), and P.T., a game with three aggressively creative people involved (Guillermo, Junji, and Kojima), just getting shot in the head, unceremoniously.

It's fine that Konami is slowly going back to remembering that they made games at some point, and not just bullshit. Even though they are still doing bullshit, because Konami.

But again, there's no reason for Kojima to come back. And I don't think he wants to make another Metal Gear. But I may be completely wrong.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Im one of the purest kojima hater of this forum and even i must recognize that if anyone dreams of a kojima come back to konami, it's the konami execs who killed their golden goose by being (i suppose) even more unsufferable with him that regular execs.
Kojima never needed konami, it's the other way around.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

And yet they remove his name from anything MGS now.... that's just wrong. Jonami was in the wrong here... plain and simple, and the fact that they are doing a 180 now and going back to making the very AAA games that they claimed was too much to handle back then, which preceded why they even fired Kojima, should tell everyone what they want to know. If the man has got any sense, he should stay as far away from Konami as possible.
I'd rather not, he's got his head up his ass.

The Delta remakes will be great.
Wtf?

Last edited:
Daniel Craig said he would rather slit his wrists than play Bond again...... then he came back for No Time to Die ...................... Money talks
It's impossible to refute that argument because you are completely correct lol, but I would say that Kojima having his own studio changes that slightly. If Craig had his own large production company (like Tom Cruise for instance) he would probably be a bit more selective.

Doom85

Daniel Craig said he would rather slit his wrists than play Bond again...... then he came back for No Time to Die ...................... Money talks

In the actual full article going over him saying that, he flat out said he’d return if the money was good. He also specified “not at the moment”, and considering on a talk show he explained that he didn’t appreciate that after shooting all of Spectre, during which he saw little of his family and friends, and upon finishing he was immediately being bombarded with “are you going to do another one?!” The “wrists” bit was always just Craig being frustrated at the time, it was obvious he would come back based on what he fully said.

With Kojima, as far as I know he’s never given such a hint about returning to Konami. And no, money doesn’t always talk, Jerry Seinfeld turned down a $5 million per episode offer to make a Season 10 of Seinfeld but he didn’t want the show to grow stale.

Švejk

Why don't he leave Konami and go work on the recently announced tactical espionage action game at Kojima Studios? I'm sure he'd be welcome.

NeptuneCL

I'm a diehard Metal Gear fan (God knows how much I want a new game - a continuation of Snake or Big Boss story), but Kojima is a retard if he collabs with Konami ever again.

Nobody knows what really happened there, not even 1 comment from Kojima nor Konami, never, and probably we'd never know.

All just speculations, nothing more.

Besides, a new Metal Gear could happen without Kojima, but it costs could be a problem

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
But didn’t they let him go because there were allegations of sexual harassment happening? Not because of his actual job performance.

I’m not talking about the ex-mayor of the same name. That just might be a crazy coincidence.

Last edited:

proandrad

If Kojima gets contracted to make a new Metal Gear he should go full villian mode. Trans Raiden as the main character seeking revenge after old snake gets whacked in his sleep with a golf club. Metal Gear Solidus: Revengence.

mortal

I'm a lifelong Metal Gear fan and as much as I'd prefer Metal Gear with Kojima at the helm, I'm glad he finally moved on to developing other projects and new IP.
He didn't want to make those games in perpetuity and neither did I want him to, and seeing Kojima Productions work on new original games is far more exciting than another MG remake or MGS 6 and 7.

Last edited:

What have they done to him? He has been publically hating on the franchise since MGS 2 which is not good for marketing. Guy had an open checkbook to hire whoever he wanted, pay royalties for songs he never ended up using, pay Holywood actors who barely speak a couple of sentences in the whole game etc. Since firing him Konami started making a profit because Kojima is just an egotistical prick who thought he was bigger than the whole company. If it wasn't for SONY, Kojima Productions would of never existed and he would just become an internet meme like John Romero who after all these years, has only OG Doom to talk about and make levels for. As far as Im concerned, Id want Kojima as far away as possible from the franchise because its obvious his whole team did the heavy lifting, while he hated working on them. Fine, then let some new talent who enjoys these games like we do work on them instead.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
While the connection to death stranding has grown I think whenever Kojima and mgs meets it’s kinda a big deal we love and respect him.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Kojima not wanting to make another MGS since MGS2 is a misconception, if he owned the IP he would have made another one by now
He literally can't help it, regardless of what he says

Kojima got exactly what he wanted and became independent. He's even been able to make a high budget delivery simulator with Hollywood actors and get backing for a sequel! He's able to work with whoever he wants and is currently working separately with both sony and Microsoft. How many independent studios can say the same thing? He must be loving it right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom