• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami producer says it would be ‘the dream’ for Kojima to return to Metal Gear

Jinzo Prime

Konami should just move on with a new director with fresh ideas at the helm. The story of Big Boss and Snake is over, so create characters, a new story, new locations and move the franchise forward. And of course have the old characters show up in the new games for support, no need to throw everything away.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I hope Kojima takes note of this and makes the Metal Gear he always wanted to make. If I remember correct, he was disappointed with MGS5. In my opinion, he can't go out on that.

Death Stranding has whispers of Metal Gear in it, which leads me to believe he really would be open to going back to finish his work.

Dr_Salt

I'd be okay with it too only if they give the whole Metal Gear/ZOE property to Kojima.
They guy who said that is actually the guy who created, directed and wrote ZOE1. Idk what good giving ZOE to Kojima would do, I personally don't want Norman Reedus as Jehuty frame runner 3.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If they gave him full creative control I bet he’d be down to clown with them. But I don’t really see that happening since Kojima has like three projects currently baking.

But one more MGS game from Kojima would be a great send off.

Vasili2K38

I think that Kojima would love to participate in new Metal Gear games, but as a consultor / external producer. We will see how Delta fares, but if there is a decent team in Konami that could take the reigns, I can see it. At least seems the bad blood from MGSV development it is in the past in Konami's side.

If they gave him full creative control I bet he’d be down to clown with them. But I don’t really see that happening since Kojima has like three projects currently baking.

But one more MGS game from Kojima would be a great send off.
I bet be comes back and does one more sometime in our life times…..

fersnake

im a die hard fan of mgs series, but thank god Kojima is not involved, we already have the story and the old games so konami just need to milk the series with great remakes. that's what were gonna have till we die so just bear with it.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Konami is like that ex that fucked up the relationship, yet expects Kojima to come crawling back... even though it's been years since he left, he has clearly moved on, and has been wildly successful since then.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I dont want to get murder ... MGS 1 - 4 are some of the best games I ever played... MGS5 is dogshit (imho) ... couldn't get into Death Stranding not matter how much I tried..

I think Kojima san has moved to new ideas and a new mentality way pass what Metal Gear was... so I would gladly accept another Talented guy take a shot at metal gear as long that it is done in the classic (1-4) way. Who knows... it might surprise us all.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

In Friday’s live stream, the producer went on to claim that, like with the recent Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection, Kojima and the original staff will be credited in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 3 remake in some form.

“Since we had a lot of questions about this, Mr. Kojima and all the original development staff are of course credited for their original roles,” he said. “They were already included in the Master Collection, and they’ll be listed in Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater as well. They’re a part of these games too, so absolutely, they’re in.”

although late for almost decade, atleast this is a huge shift compared to before where itseems Konami want to erase Kojima presence entirely

just hope this is not due for marketing.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I'm getting regretful ex vibes from this; if Kojima has any self-respect, he'll leave Konami to its own devices.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Fuck Metal Gear, get back and restart Silent Hills. Fucking Metal Gear, lol... so much shit that was inspired by that cryptic demo, since it came and got cancelled. Nothing comes close, though. He could have really showed off his aspiration to be a movie director with that one.

hyperbertha

What have they done to him? He has been publically hating on the franchise since MGS 2 which is not good for marketing. Guy had an open checkbook to hire whoever he wanted, pay royalties for songs he never ended up using, pay Holywood actors who barely speak a couple of sentences in the whole game etc. Since firing him Konami started making a profit because Kojima is just an egotistical prick who thought he was bigger than the whole company. If it wasn't for SONY, Kojima Productions would of never existed and he would just become an internet meme like John Romero who after all these years, has only OG Doom to talk about and make levels for. As far as Im concerned, Id want Kojima as far away as possible from the franchise because its obvious his whole team did the heavy lifting, while he hated working on them. Fine, then let some new talent who enjoys these games like we do work on them instead.
Braindead comment. Kojina is literally bigger than konami. And his team may have done the work but his leadership is what made mgs what it is. We can clearly see that from how trash the character designs are in delta.

Last edited:
I dont want to get murder ... MGS 1 - 4 are some of the best games I ever played... MGS5 is dogshit (imho) ... couldn't get into Death Stranding not matter how much I tried..

I think Kojima san has moved to new ideas and a new mentality way pass what Metal Gear was... so I would gladly accept another Talented guy take a shot at metal gear as long that it is done in the classic (1-4) way. Who knows... it might surprise us all.
What i would do is have David Hayter write and star in a remake of metal gear 1 and 2 (young snake vs big boss in outer heaven) and have a sony studio produce it

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Kojima works with Konami one day.

The thing about life is that ill feelings can fade over time, people also leave jobs so who ever Kojima had issues with could leave Konami therefor opening the door to work again.

All that said, Kojima doesn't need Konami at the moment. He's running his own successful studio and has his own stealth game coming.

Dr_Salt

Braindead comment. Kojina is literally bigger than konami. And his team may have done the work but his leadership is what made mgs what it is. We can clearly see that from how trash the character designs are in delta.
What is wrong with the character designs in delta? Also lets not forget that he didn't necesarily knocked it out of the park with DS1 as much as I respect the game for trying something new. His real test now is DS2 and that will surely tell if he still has it as a game director or if he just became a hack

Barakov

Gold Member
Konami should just move on with a new director with fresh ideas at the helm. The story of Big Boss and Snake is over, so create characters, a new story, new locations and move the franchise forward. And of course have the old characters show up in the new games for support, no need to throw everything away.
I just think Metal Gear Solid was so much Kojima's series and that he put so much of himself into it that it'd be really difficult to even come close to even replicating the highs of MGS. It could be me but I just don't have the faith in modern day Konami to allow the creative freedom to allow lightning to strike twice like that.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Death Stranding despite the clunky bloat in the story is my favourite game of the last gen and I'm really looking forward to DS2. Then he has 'PHYSINT' in dev which will almost certainly be a PS6 game and is likely of the same ilk as MGS. I'd rather he sticks with what he's doing.

Roufianos

Fuck Metal Gear, get back and restart Silent Hills. Fucking Metal Gear, lol... so much shit that was inspired by that cryptic demo, since it came and got cancelled. Nothing comes close, though. He could have really showed off his aspiration to be a movie director with that one.
Fucking Metal Gear? You mean the series that has 4x the sales of Silent Hill?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Obviously Konami would have loved if Kojima was chained to a desk and made Metal Gear games on their budget terms for the rest of his life.

But even before he left the company Kojima was trying to do other things and Konami yanked away his big project. I don't really see what's in it for Kojima to go back to their bullshit.

Top Bottom