• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Kong: Skull Island' Trailer (#2) Kaiju v King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at least it won't be overly seriously like Godzilla. Like, that was so serious it felt like a parody.

A really good blend of dark with some humor (JCR is always good at playing insane people) would be good.

Though I wonder how they'll mesh this with Godzilla in the 2020 film. And the cast is really good.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Tbh... I liked that. Though I have no real connection to the property.

Will probably go to the theater for this one.

I will go to my grave defending Peter Jackson's King Kong as a flawed masterpiece.
Any time I watch, I skip the first hour and turn it off when they finally capture Kong. That right there is a solid giant monster survival/action movie with some awesome moments

ZeroX03

Banned
It looks like a cool dark monster island movie.

And like an over the top John C. Reilly comedy.

That have been mashed together.

Salsa

Though I wonder how they'll mesh this with Godzilla in the 2020 film. And the cast is really good.

dont really matter since all these people probably wont be around the time period Kong vs Godzilla takes place

at that point you can do whatever you want with the tone and Kong, he doesnt talk

It looks like a cool dark monster island movie.

And like an over the top John C. Reilly comedy.

That have been mashed together.

Yes.

Any time I watch, I skip the first hour and turn it off when they finally capture Kong. That right there is a solid giant monster survival/action movie with some awesome moments

I do the same thing!

dont really matter since all these people probably wont be around the time period Kong vs Godzilla takes place

at that point you can do whatever you want with the tone and Kong, he doesnt talk

That's a fair point.

The way I look at the Reilly stuff-- it's just difficult to gauge how it'll actually be in the movie. Jackson's had Jack Black, and while he sorta did the Jack Black thing, he wasn't so bad. They could have easily made a trailer for that movie with some Black stuff and it may have felt like it was going to be a comedy. Having a kooky character doesn't automatically mean that the tone of the movie will be like that in general.

i prefer peter jackson's aesthetic miles and miles more

For sure. Skull Island looked creepy as hell and he did a good job of getting that old Hollywood adventure vibe too.

This is a cool change though but it doesn't look as good. Trailer itself was kinda wack tbh, could have done with less humor

kevin1025

Banned
I will go to my grave defending Peter Jackson's King Kong as a flawed masterpiece.

That dinosaur fight in the middle is some damn good stuff, I watched it far too much, haha.

So I wonder if Kong will get mutated and become bigger if he's going to eventually fight Godzilla

That was the rumor around the time the shared universe was announced. Though that may have been just speculation at the time.

tumblr_nnlild7Km91qd479ro1_500.gif

Are you trying to say the foreskin monsters were a good thing?

So I wonder if Kong will get mutated and become bigger if he's going to eventually fight Godzilla
I don't think he needs bigger size.
Godzilla is a lot bigger, but Kong has better speed and agility and there will be some balance between them.

overcast

you guys really want dark gritty take #324?

hella in. this, if nothing, looks different

double surprised considering Godzilla is still within this canon and shit doesnt fit at all. guess you can use your time periods to justify that tho
It's ultimately just tone man. There's nothing wrong with a campy approach or the dark gritty take. I wouldn't say there is a lack of the more light takes on various properties.

This movie just looks a little tonally lost based on the contrast between this trailer and the teaser. This one gets nothing out of me personally.

I guess Kong is the last of his kind? There are other ape skeletons which I assume the "Skull-Crawlers" are responsible for.

Edit: I guess JCR is a World War II pilot(?) that was stranded on the island

Salsa

This movie just looks a little tonally lost based on the contrast between this trailer and the teaser. This one gets nothing out of me personally.

sure. thats my main worry now

id rather they commit than end up with something that feels in between 2 films

also dude am i the only one that caught the brule reference? its still blowing my mind

Nakadai30

Well I like the period vibe, it looks like a good bit of fun. Not sure what anyone else expected from a film which is a piece of a new "cinematic universe". These sorts of movies are strict genre tentpole pieces now, don't expect a Werner Herzog type to get a chance with one of these as long as the budgets are so inflated.

Levito

Banned
Watched it a couple times now, this looks like so much fun. Like we know for sure that Kong is actually going to fight other giant monsters, and the director himself said he wasn't a fan of how little Godzilla was in the 2014 film.

I don't really get that it looks like a comedy or has too much comedy, just an off the rails character that the trailer decided to go all in on. Yeah it'll be there but I don't think it paints the entire canvas of the movie.

Feels like comedy bits were juxtaposed in. Felt little out of place, especially after Kong is swatting down choppers like flies.

One of my bigger issues with the comedy is they have a very on the nose, comedic actor playing the parts out. I'd probably mesh with it more if was played in a more subtle, nuanced manner. I'm a fan of purposeful cheese in some movies, but I'm not feeling it here, just as I didn't dig it in Jurassic World.

Also, I won't lie, Peter Jacksons King Kong was a flawed film.. but at the same time, it kinda spoiled me. It had the perfect terrifying romantic tragedy tone coupled with a kaiju adventure film. The visual style in that movie was also fantastic.. I have the art book with all the creatures from the island, and there are TONS of cool things that never show up in the film. I always wanted another film to show them off.

Anyhow, the giant ox creature and that giant stick bug look really freaking cool. Skull Crawlers aren't bad either.

dcelw540

I have a feeling this will be a case where this movie doesn't have as close to amazing trailers compared to godzilla but will be a better movie overall.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Nobody said looks like a TV show or mentioned a villain. Chill with your sensitive mcu posts
can't handle some bantz, m8?

Well I like the period vibe, it looks like a good bit of fun. Not sure what anyone else expected from a film which is a piece of a new "cinematic universe". These sorts of movies are strict genre tentpole pieces now, don't expect a Werner Herzog type to get a chance with one of these as long as the budgets are so inflated.

I'd love to see something like that. Then again, I'm that one guy that really wanted a Terrence Malik-directed Superman film after the teaser for MoS dropped.

It's not perfect, but I have always loved it and stood up for it.

Damn, I have the extended edition, the production diaries, a bunch of different making of books. That film was so much fun.

It's a bit too long and the shit with Jimmy and the dude trying to I dunno life lessons etc etc were my only real problems.

Salsa

my issue with Jackson's is that I have an easier time liking and rewatching bad movies than ones that were almost great.

oh NOW people are defending Jackson's movie. Took you assholes long enough I guess.

I have always maintained the second act of the film is amazing, sandwiched by two boring, mediocre, overly-long acts.

I have a feeling this will be a case where this movie doesn't have as close to amazing trailers compared to godzilla but will be a better movie overall.

I'm still salty that Bryan Cranston was killed off so early and we had to follow his son, the block of wood with abs.

kevin1025

Banned
It's not perfect, but I have always loved it and stood up for it.

Damn, I have the extended edition, the production diaries, a bunch of different making of books. That film was so much fun.

Those production diaries were incredible, including the case they came in. Standouts were the day in the life of Jackson, and of course the Kong sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom