• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Kong: Skull Island' Trailer (#2) Kaiju v King

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
I absolutely adored Godzilla '14, aside from the ending. At no point in the film was he ever a hero or savior, except at the very end, when the MUTOs are both killed and he's laying in what's left of San Francisco. Had he simply gotten up and went back to the sea, or had he stayed in the sea after defeating the last MUTO, it would have been perfect. But the whole cheering and faux CNN news coverage of him being a savior of the world returning home was so bad. Godzilla alone probably killed thousands of people wandering around and knocking over buildings and shit. How many people died from the tsunami he created arriving in Hawaii? He's not a savior. He's a neutral animal that was defending his territory and that's how they should have framed it. Hell, end the movie on a more somber note, showing all of the destruction and dead and wounded.

Daingurse

Man, I wish a theater near me played Shin Godzilla. I really wanted to see it and I'm thirsty as fuck for a terrifying Godzilla movie (thankfully Return of Godzilla getting a bluray release scratched that itch a bit)

Oh yeah you should love it. It is very much in the same vein as Gojira, and Return of Godzilla. Those 3 make my Godzilla trifecta now.

Sephzilla

I absolutely adored Godzilla '14, aside from the ending. At no point in the film was he ever a hero or savior, except at the very end, when the MUTOs are both killed and he's laying in what's left of San Francisco. Had he simply gotten up and went back to the sea, or had he stayed in the sea after defeating the last MUTO, it would have been perfect. But the whole cheering and faux CNN news coverage of him being a savior of the world returning home was so bad. Godzilla alone probably killed thousands of people wandering around and knocking over buildings and shit. How many people died from the tsunami he created arriving in Hawaii? He's not a savior. He's a neutral animal that was defending his territory and that's how they should have framed it. Hell, end the movie on a more somber note, showing all of the destruction and dead and wounded.

Yeah, that's a valid complaint. It's really weird that they ended on that note since Godzilla's proper introduction into the movie begins with him killing a ton of people

Oh yeah you should love it. It is very much in the same vein as Gojira, and Return of Godzilla. Those 3 make my Godzilla trifecta now.

tumblr_n8tqcqPhPB1thowlgo1_250.gif

SeanC

I like the cast, has some good actors. I think that'll help carry it because my only concern is how much can the plot sustain itself. Godzilla struggled with that and the cast wasn't up to snuff to carry it, I feel they learned a lesson and packed this with some quality people.

OldRoutes

Yeah, that's a valid complaint. It's really weird that they ended on that note since Godzilla's proper introduction into the movie begins with him killing a ton of people

Yeah but that was triggered by stupid humans to begin with. He only woke up because the other kaijus woke up too.

Levito

Banned
Shin Godzilla was amazing and waaaaaaaaaaay better than Godzilla 2014, and I really liked the 2014 movie. Shin Godzilla is the best Godzilla movie aside from the original Japanese version Gojira.

Honestly I think Kong looks more promising simply by the fact that the characters don't look like total throw aways like Godzilla 2014.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That was a pretty good trailer. I hope they actually go through with the proposed Godzilla vs Kong movie now.

Godzilla 2014 would've been fine with all the Godzilla teasing had the human characters been the least bit interesting. Genuinely wonder how many people could name a single human character in that film. Or describe them without using their occupation (soldier, nurse, scientist).

Charcoal

I'm glad there's comedy in it. Godzilla went for the dark and grim, BvS tone and it ended up making as much noise as a wet fart.

I'm glad there's comedy in it. Godzilla went for the dark and grim, BvS tone and it ended up making as much noise as a wet fart.

There needs to be another The Dark Knight-esque success so people can stop thinking dark and gritty adaptations and remakes are automatically bad and that comedy is the cure.

nachum00

Lol that would be amazing.

"Kong is a beast of profound loneliness. As I looked in its gargantuan eyes I saw, beyond all hate and fear, a void of infinite sorrow, in which I myself was reflected. How am I to fight that which I am?"
Lol spot on. The film would be about the crew slowly losing their minds on the journey to find Kong.

Honestly though its not that much of a stretch considering the first trailer was giving off so many Apocalypse Now vibes and Apocalypse Now was heavily influenced by Herzogs Aguirre The Wrath of God.

Sephzilla

There needs to be another The Dark Knight-esque success so people can stop thinking dark and gritty adaptations and remakes are automatically bad and that comedy is the cure.

The hilarious thing is that the Nolan Batman trilogy has plenty of comedic moments in it that people would bitch a ton about if the movie had a Marvel label on it

JdFoX187

Banned
Godzilla 2014 would've been fine with all the Godzilla teasing had the human characters been the least bit interesting. Genuinely wonder how many people could name a single human character in that film. Or describe them without using their occupation (soldier, nurse, scientist).

Christ, I hate these damn Plinkett reviews questions. The human storyline was basic, but engaging enough for what was needed. Killing off Joe (Bryan Cranston) was a very dumb move, since he was the one who had the emotion and the most drive in the film. But Brody (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) wasn't all that bad and filled the archetypal role of being drug along while just trying to get back to his wife. Elizabeth Olsen's character was the weakest and essentially did nothing but stare at the camera with a longing face. It wasn't "great," but it certainly wasn't the putrid shit that so many are claiming.

Sephzilla

Christ, I hate these damn Plinkett reviews questions. The human storyline was basic, but engaging enough for what was needed. Killing off Joe (Bryan Cranston) was a very dumb move, since he was the one who had the emotion and the most drive in the film. But Brody (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) wasn't all that bad and filled the archetypal role of being drug along while just trying to get back to his wife. Elizabeth Olsen's character was the weakest and essentially did nothing but stare at the camera with a longing face. It wasn't "great," but it certainly wasn't the putrid shit that so many are claiming.

It's kind of true though. If you can't describe a character beyond their basic occupational traits, then they did a really shitty job of building a character. I mean, I loved Godzilla 2014 but I'm not going to deny that the human characters - outside of Cranston and Watanabe, were completely shit. ATJ's character is basically a camera man since his only purpose in the movie is to carry us from monster fight to monster fight.

Plinkett questions?

Obviously, I disagree about Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character. And despite all the genre tropes, seeing him put into various crazy situations and come out alive only added to how little I cared about his character. Almost think they would've been better off following different characters at each encounter.

OldRoutes

It's kind of true though. If you can't describe a character beyond their basic occupational traits, then they did a really shitty job of building a character.

I thought Jessica Chastain's character in Zero Dark Thirty was great, I saw the movie again a few weeks ago for some reasons and I still couldn't tell you her name.

Her name is Maya. I'm not going to ask you whether or not you knew this, but I don't think recognizing a character's name is automatically a sign of good characterization. Reverse example ; Boba Fett.

Fox Mulder

The problem is when either tone feels forced or is just boring shit. Nolan's stuff was great, as is the comedy tone of GotG.

Gritty is great, WB just sucks with the DCU and people found 2014 Godzilla boring. I thought Godzilla 2014 was okay when I saw it, but Shin Godzilla blows it away in kaiju action and pulling off a tone. 2014 is just boring really.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ePdkipe.jpg

I liked it. Some nice individual shots which were quite evocative. Comic relief was a bit odd but mabye he is also insane so he'll be both comic relief and a threat in the movie?

The hilarious thing is that the Nolan Batman trilogy has plenty of comedic moments in it that people would bitch a ton about if the movie had a Marvel label on it

Yeah, the Nolan trilogy had moments of comedy, but had a consistently gritty tone throughout.

After WB been fucking up hardcore though, there's been a huge dispute between two camps "lighthearted vs. dark" where the latter is seen as something that should be wholly avoided.

The problem is when either tone feels forced or is just boring shit.

Pretty much.

BvS too dark? Toss in tons of jokes and out of place licensed music in Suicide Squad! Still sucked even more.

My point is, comedy and camp is not the cure-all to a suck ass movie. And a dark and gritty tone is not the cause of a suck ass movie either. BvS didn't suck because it was dark. Godzilla wasn't boring because it was dark. Suicide Squad still sucked. They all sucked because the writing and characters sucked.

I'm glad it's not too serious though. Godzilla was so dry it was terrible. I think his character might play a little better in context, but I'm expecting a healthy dose of camp in this movie.

Yeah thinking about it I don't mind going more campy to separate itself from that awful Godzilla flick but hopefully the jokes play out better in the actual film. It just came off a bit weird in the trailer that's all.

Looking like a pretty damn fun time in theaters tho.

Or...just maybe they handled the inclusion of humor a lot more tactfully than most marvel flicks which often kill any dramatic momentum with its humor. Tdk trilogy did the balance great, although I gotta say Nolan cops were a mess haha

Sephzilla

Yeah, the Nolan trilogy had moments of comedy, but had a consistently gritty tone throughout.

After WB been fucking up hardcore though, there's been a huge dispute between two camps "lighthearted vs. dark" where the latter is seen as something that should be wholly avoided.

WB's big issue is that, I think, they've completely misunderstood what made the dark/gritty tone of the Nolan trilogy work.

gabbo

I get John C Reilly as having been stuck there, stranded, but the trailer could have used him more effectively, instead of focusing on him and his derangement. I foresee him being stepped on or eaten, in a light-hearted, comical tone that these sorts of movies have.

I also am thinking this takes place in the 60s or 70, right, and not concurrent with Edwards Godzilla, because the world would know monsters exist (also not a good sign for the crew on the island given they share a universe with Godzilla and are never mentioned). If they can work that out properly, I'm down.

Still, giant monster movies aren't a really common thing, and I enjoyed Godzilla 2014, flaws and all. I hope this ends up being fun. Apocalypse Kong would be amazing, as mentioned earlier.

WB's big issue is that, I think, they've completely misunderstood what made the dark/gritty tone of the Nolan trilogy work.

Yeah, after failing to Nolan-ify Superman with MoS and BvS, they been struggling to find some magic formula. It doesn't help their misunderstanding when the only criticism people can muster is "too dark, not funny enough." Then they start swinging hard in the other direction hoping to hit a Marvel homerun and continue to miss the point. TDK Trilogy isn't better than WB's recent offerings because they have mild jokes in there. It's better because it is better written and better directed.

I also am thinking this takes place in the 60s or 70, right, and not concurrent with Edwards Godzilla, because the world would know monsters exist (also not a good sign for the crew on the island given they share a universe with Godzilla and are never mentioned). If they can work that out properly, I'm down.

It was already confirmed that the film is set in the past and not in the time of Godzilla '14

I'm curious to know what goes on at the end of the film at this point.

I really hope the movie leans more towards the first trailer than this one in tone. But Kong being the actual King of Skull Island and the various monsters make me even more hyped. With how many monsters there are, I hope one is going to be familiar.

Oh, you know there will be hints towards Godzilla.

Looks good, with a dose of humor. Each movie can follow its own path, which is why I expect to like this as much as I do the relative seriousness and up-close danger of Godzilla 2014. The Muto night-time train sequence with the soldiers trying to lay still as it walks by them is among the most memorable in-theater experiences in recent years.

Sephzilla

Yeah, after failing to Nolan-ify Superman with MoS and BvS, they been struggling to find some magic formula. It doesn't help their misunderstanding when the only criticism people can muster is "too dark, not funny enough." Then they start swinging hard in the other direction hoping to hit a Marvel homerun and continue to miss the point. TDK Trilogy isn't better than WB's recent offerings because they have mild jokes in there. It's better because it is better written and better directed.

Well said.

WhiteWolf

Trailer teases what could be some great action scenes. The jokes, to me, were at odds with the rest of the trailer, but I'm still going to see this opening weekend.

Movie looks rad. Love the monster designs. Wonder if it'll be like PJ's King Kong, where all the other monsters/dinosaurs were the main attraction for me.

I'd be ok with him as Nathan Drake tbh

Certainly has the charm.

I only saw him in Avengers/Thor 1, but man, I really have the opposite opinion of him based on that.

Hey now. Don't go talking shit on Congo.

Right on. One of the most hilariously quotable movies of all time, too. "Stop eating my sesame cake."

gamz

Not sure about the complaints about the humor? Doesn't seem misplaced at all and it's not the tone of the trailer.

Awesome trailer btw

Xiaoki

I watched Dr Strange twice(regular then again in IMAX 3-D) and talked with people at work about it and the scenes that got the best reactions were the light hearted comedic scenes.

A little comic relief to lighten the tension is not the end of the world and audiences like it.

So, having John C Reilly crack a few jokes isn't going to ruin the movie, it being a bad movie would ruin the movie.

I love the tone in this trailer, isn't taking itself uber seriously and acting like its a fucking arthouse film like Godzilla 2014 did.

Same problem I had with Hulk and Jackson's piss-awful Kong movie: Its a movie about a big thing that smashes shit. Stop trying to make it deep and insightful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom