• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Only 90% of Xbox One GPU usable for games"- PS4 GPU up to 66% more powerful?

spisho

Neo Member
The delta between the One and 4 GPUs seems to be 0.6Tflops, or 600GFLOPS (I'm ignoring this 10% thing because we don't know if the ps4does the same). That would be on the very high end of estimates for the Wii U GPU. Most are around 300-500 I think. I believe the median guess would be around 350 for the Latte I would assume, most people saying 300 and some going way higher.

There's also the low-end estimate of 160 ALUs. Which coincides with claims by developers that it's worse than PS360 in shader throughput. I've heard that EA pegged it as 90% of a PS3.

There will be some OS GPU reservation on PS4 since it will have to draw to the screen intermittently and unpredictably. Although something like 10% seems excessive for overlays like notifications.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apart from some outliers they were pretty much the same and they both were damned different machines. The PS4 might get more stable frame rates only if they push so hard the XBOX falters. In the end I expect it to be neither here nor there except for the obvious first party.

MS seem to be trying really hard to disagree with you though.

There's also the low-end estimate of 160 ALUs. Which coincides with claims by developers that it's worse than PS360 in shader throughput. I've heard that EA pegged it as 90% of a PS3.

There will be some OS GPU reservation on PS4 since it will have to draw to the screen intermittently and unpredictably. Although something like 10% seems excessive for overlays like notifications.

for all the shit they've spouted EA never said that

DieH@rd

Banned
Back when Sony only had 4 GB of RAM available for the machine, I heard numbers being thrown around that were as small as 512 mb and as high as 2 GB. I have never heard 3 GB. Specialguy has an agenda that has been transparent from the get go.

And that's where it will end up. 2GB max.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Thing is, all multiplats will likely look the same in the end.

Why do people keep saying this? Don't get me wrong, if Xbone is successful like the Xbox 360 was then it could become the lowest common denominator between the two, but PS4 being 50% more powerful is not a small thing, it should be noticeable even if it's small effects or more stable framerates.

Also, why do people say porting down from PC to console is easier/best thing, now people are saying they will port up from the Xbone?

so the XB1 costs 299$ and the PS4 will be 599$, dunno which will then sell more :p

Don't worry, next gen Kinect makes up the difference.

so the XB1 costs 299$ and the PS4 will be 599$, dunno which will then sell more :p

Both consoles have about the same transistor budget, same chip size (@28nm) and similar components. GDDR5 RAM is a little bit more expensive, but Kinect also has to be added to the costs. There is even a chance that Microsoft's APU is a little bit more expensive because of the eSRAM. That means Xbox One and PS4 will probably cost about the same amount to produce, and I doubt Microsoft will undercut Sony by 50%.

aeolist

Banned
i really didn't think references to "the cloud" could get any more vapid and pointless

but then the video game community got ahold of it

Gemüsepizza;59009189 said:
Both have about the same transistor budget and similar components. GDDR5 RAM is a little bit more expensive, but Kinect also has to be added to the costs. There is even a chance that Microsoft's APU is a little bit more expensive because of the eSRAM. That means both consoles will probably cost about the same amount to produce, and I doubt Microsoft will undercut Sony by 50%.

All signs point to them releasing a month apart and each at $399.

SNES vs. Genesis. Why root for anything else.

ryaxnb

Neo Member
PS4 already has 2 cores reserved (Killzone SF slides) confirmed. 3GB reserved for PS4 OS is likely based on some posts from a developer and the way ERP (works for Sony) is acting on B3D.

I think it doesn't take a rocket scientist to assume they'll reserve from the GPU as well if MS is doing it it must be a desirable/necessary thing.

for a "voice of reason" your bias is showing through pretty obviously when you say that "if ms is doing it it must be desirable" as if MS is always right about everything they do.

not even close to what direction? :D i'm just scared here that the PS4 will outplay itself by being massively more expensive.

please both announce the prices at E3...

But the PS4 will ship with the PSEye too?
The only component in PS4 that will be more expensive is the RAM

The rest is a case of Sony doing more with the same base components

The only component in PS4 that will be more expensive is the RAM

The rest is a case of Sony doing more with the same base components

allright, nice :D i'm super excited to see some actual gameplay stuff from both at E3.

Kinect is a lot more sophisticated, looks expensive.

but is it really? PS4Eye has two 1280 x 800 cameras and four microphones. The setup promises facial recognition, player positioning and depth sensing and all kinds of bing bang boom! :D

Alx

but is it really? PS4Eye has two 1280 x 800 cameras and four microphones. The setup promises facial recognition, player positioning and depth sensing and all kinds of bing bang boom! :D

Well we don't know how much the 3D part of kinect costs (especially now that it is based on MS technology), but you also have to consider that the X1 has dedicated chips to process the kinect data, while the PS4 will probably use the main CPU/GPU.
So as a whole kinect will probably be more costly than the PS4 camera (mics + cam + 3D cam + chip Vs mics + cam + cam).

D-e-f-

Banned
sounds about right.

so wii = 2 gamecubes.
wiiu = 2 wii, so 4 gamecubes.

difference is like 4 gamecubes first now its like 5 gamecubes.

Gamecube arithmetic....

What I wanna know is, how many Game Boy Colors is it?

Gemüsepizza;58996941 said:
Difference between Xbox One and PS4 is ~600+ GFLOPS and 2 GB usable RAM, WiiU has afaik about 300 GFLOPS and 1 GB usable RAM, so it's probably more likely Xbox One + 2xWiiU = PS4 (of course it's not that easy ^^).

Wii U flops estimation changes like the weather. It is entirely pointless to put a number in there.

GUYS, Guys....please.

'The Cloud' will beam in extra graphics so the XBone will always be more powerful.

More Cloud = more graphics.

Always on = always better.

This would mean you CAN download more RAM!

Mind = blown :D

You can't Skype your friends whilst switching from your game to live TV on your PC.

All using hand gestures and your voice.

I've been operating my PCs with hand gestures since the first day I had one. I've also used my voice plenty of times (though it never responded).

SNES vs. Genesis. Why root for anything else.

When I was dead broke, man, I couldn't picture this.

Midou

Don't think it's right to jump to conclusions until we know all the facts about both OS and GPU usage. I imagine with all the 'multi-task' stuff, the Xbone will be more limited, but I doubt it will be 66% better on the PS4.

Even so, in the end, I don't expect developers to put in the effort and make much better looking games on the PS4, but if they run somewhat better that will be enough for me. I would like a generation where games like Dragon's Dogma don't exist, in terms of technical issues, or any Bethesda game on PS3.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That the news is still getting worse as the days roll on is truly astounding to me.

MS really flubbed it with this box.

PS4=Vegeta: Just looking for raw potential, focus on fight. Hard training to be at the same power level of Goku (sometimes he is), but at the end of the day he is just behind. His father was the king of the planet.

PC=Goku: Fighting since he was born, always ready to help the humanity. He has died several times, and resurrected as well, always at the top. His father in law is a "good-natured" bearded man. :)3).

XB1=Gohan: Was very powerful in his first years, now he wears weird clothes and uses dumb gadgets. (according to the prophecy from an old guy) he has inside some secret unlimited power.

Wii-U=Mr.Satan/Hercule: Scared from the rest of the fighters, although he usually try to show the opposite (confidence in himself), underpowered. Almost everybody trust him and enjoyed his past background, thanks to that, he will save humanity with the help of Goku and Vegeta.

You belong here.

Jburton

Banned
Hate to be the voice of reason again but I'm sure it's likely PS4 will do the same thing.

Better recalculate those all important percentages again Gemuse.

Their is no way that PS4 will need to reserve as much resources as the Xbox, that Xbox OS is full of bloat that will not be present in the PS4.

Caddle

Damn microsoft, instead of hiring engineers and paying all that money for R&D, you could have just let gaf build the console, since they obviously know more than you do.

Caffeine

ps4 is super saiyan 2 gohan

x1 is super saiyan gohan

wii u is child gohan :p (raditz saga) which means it has secret sauce when it gets angry!

KZObsessed

The game has full access to the reserved system resources, which are six CPU cores, 90 percent of GPU processing power, and 5 GB of memory.

Unless Sony reserves the same kind of resources, surely this is going to lead to some very noticeable differences.

PS4=Vegeta: Just looking for raw potential, focus on fight. Hard training to be at the same power level of Goku (sometimes he is), but at the end of the day he is just behind. His father was the king of the planet.

PC=Goku: Fighting since he was born, always ready to help the humanity. He has died several times, and resurrected as well, always at the top. His father in law is a "good-natured" bearded man. :)3).

XB1=Gohan: Was very powerful in his first years, now he wears weird clothes and uses dumb gadgets. (according to the prophecy from an old guy) he has inside some secret unlimited power.

Wii-U=Mr.Satan/Hercule: Scared from the rest of the fighters, although he usually try to show the opposite (confidence in himself), underpowered. Almost everybody trust him and enjoyed his past background, thanks to that, he will save humanity with the help of Goku and Vegeta.

Haha, that's perfect man.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn microsoft, instead of hiring engineers and paying all that money for R&D, you could have just let gaf build the console, since they obviously know more than you do.

That's not the point. MS have very consciously built the XBO as a multi-purpose multitasking media machine, with a sizable chunk of power dedicated to things that are not games. It's not like they couldn't have made a more powerful machine and dedicated all its power to games, they just chose not to. We are simply observing those facts, and correctly noting that this is gonna make the XBO a less powerful machine for gaming.

daveo42

Banned

1d960_ORIG-Orson_Welles_Slow_Clap.gif

EMT0

Banned

I'd reverse the Wii U and the Xbone....because, well, we know the big Wii U games will inevitably come, and those get GAF on a hype rush of epic proportions without fail every time.

How does the frostbite 3 engine run on Xbox One with only 6 cores available and 90% of the GPU?

That only puts Xbox One at 3 times more powerful than Wii U...

hal9001

Banned

Ha. This is perfect.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I thought both consoles had secondary chips that were going to be handling most of the background OS tasks?

Daingurse

tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif

I told you all! Some called me crazy, but I knew in my heart that I was preaching the gospel.

Lets reduce the Video Game Industry to it's most basic form. . .DBZ comparisons!

lol

GetemMa

Gamestop already said that the new consoles will launch at lower prices than the current gen did.

Just think about what DRM means for prices.

People are so used to being a on contract for phones, they can just leverage that consumer expectation and DRM and charge very little.

$199 plus 2 year contract @ $15 Month = $560

If you don't pay, the system becomes useless.

Top Bottom