• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kristi Leskinen " No gamer in the world deserves an X-games Gold Medal"

Pif

Banned
Yeah, if shooting, archery, & making a horse dance can be passed as Olympic events, I don't see why gaming, at some point in the future, can't be.

Archery under the Compound Bow category is an upper torso killer. Did the sports myself for a couple years and training an average of 300 shots per day really isn't for the average person with untrained back/arm muscles.

You just simply can't pull the string starting at ~70lbs of tension force on the string. My bow is set for 115lbs. (52 kgs)

On top of that, stay quiet and don't shake.

I agree with her, it's offensive for actual athletes. Like calling DJ's musicians who don't know music for real and just fool around with switches in music software.

Cyrano

The reason "why" any of this should happen is the same reason sports happen at all. Money and an audience. So long as videogames have an audience and are profitable they'll be worthy as sports in a capitalist society.

I could tell you "why" but then three dozen overly sensitive/defensive people would come after me with pitch forks.

I love competitive games and competitions based around them, but I hate "exports" and the notion that they are the same thing as real sports.

You cannot be who you are meant to be a if you keep trying to stand in the shadows of others.

I always preferred Competitive Gaming to E-Sports but one was much more marketable than the other and won out. I am all for an E-Sports Olympics type event but I don't see the need whatsoever to need to mix in with physical sports. It's not the same audience. I blame the companies on both ends trying to make money off associations from one another and causing all kinds of backlash for something that has no need to co exist under the same roof.

Dryk

Also, why Halo 5? Does it have a huge competitive scene?
Why Halo 5?
Why the X-Games?
Why does nothing about this situation make any sense?

Microsoft paid for it, that's the long and short of it.

By this definition, if we made a Chernobyl Smash Bros. Melee tourney with joypads modified to solidly zap the player instead of shaking, that would make it extreme. Agree? Disagree?
I would watch that

Rembrandt

Banned
The integration of e-sports into the world of regular sports is weird. Why is that at the X-Games? E-sports as a whole is a necessity that was bound to happen and I even think the title is appropriate, but nah, they shouldn't win medals at the same event people risk their lives doing tricks at.

The reason "why" any of this should happen is the same reason sports happen at all. Money and an audience. So long as videogames have an audience and are profitable they'll be worthy as sports in a capitalist society.
I don't think anyone is arguing that there shouldn't be video game competitions. But even with the money and audience, they're not sports. And it doesn't really make any sense to include them at events that are supposed to be about sports.

cyber_ninja

I agree with her. Video games are completely out of place in the X-games.
Funny that the gamers are calling her the salty one on her Twitter.

I agree with you. As for those so called gamers calling her the salty one on her twitter need to shut the fuck up and stop embarrassing gaming community.

Grover

Banned
say what you will, but pros in LoL matches do like 150APM for upwards of 40 minutes,

i dont care who you are, thats impressive, my hand would fall off

I am not against the idea of winning medals for gaming, but I don't really feel like gaming is part of that type of sports.

Games don't need to try and incorporate themselves with other established competitions to gain legitimacy.

It feels forced, just my opinion.

The integration of e-sports into the world of regular sports is weird. Why is that at the X-Games? E-sports as a whole is a necessity that was bound to happen and I even think the title is appropriate, but nah, they shouldn't win medals at the same event people risk their lives doing tricks at.

Blame X-games and it's failing viewership for that decision. It was purely to capture the young e-sports/twitch crowd.

Cyrano

I don't think anyone is arguing that there shouldn't be video game competitions. But even with the money and audience, they're not sports. And it doesn't really make any sense to include them at events that are supposed to be about sports.
There's probably more than enough overlap to consider them in the same realm, even if they aren't the same thing. And overlap in terms of money and audience, not anything else.

low-G

Now that she's whining I think gold medals should be exclusively earned by professional gamers whereas traditional athletes should win medals of bronze, tin, and paper.

Sure

Will you, her and everyone else who "cares" so much against this be around when LoL, CS or whatever joins the Olympics?

Sure, but as someone else brought up, with bullshit like Dressage being in the Olympics, they won't have much of a leg to stand on. With that said, Dressage is a very specific thing that's been around forever. e-Sports covers a wide variety of games that change all the time. At one time Starcraft was the big e-Sports, now it's dying. MOBA's have since taken its place. But how long will that last? The earliest that e-Sports could make it into the Summer Olympics would be 2024 since the small list of possible new sports for 2020 are already out. By then will MOBA's still hold the position they do? Just that fact will make it hard for e-Sports to ever make it into the Olympics. If you look at any other Olympic sport the event is very specific with clear rules that rarely change in any way. That's not the case when you talk about e-Sports.

Don't shit on curling. I'd rather watch a curling tournament than eSports.

I am absolutely fine with you watching all curling you want (and yes, to me it seems more interesting to watch than Halo 5 or 80% of soccer). I'm just trying to show how senseless the "video games don't conform to sports definition" argument is without an arbitrary definition of video games, sports, or physical exertion that everybody agrees upon, heck, in a world where you can simply challenge the definition and half the people will say that's right.

It screws up someone's taxes that carrot marmalade is made of carrot the vegetable? Don't worry, we'll put in that tax bill that carrot shall be considered a fruit. No one but mathematicians and such cares about definition based arguments anymore. If the X-Games (or whatever) staff wants Halo 5 to be a sport for their purposes, they'll override the definition. Or, if they're pleasant enough, will come up with their own word for what they're rewarding. It's as simple as that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
X-Games is alright. If we started getting Video Game "athletes" at the Olympic Games that's where I'd draw the line.

The thing is, its formed itself from a consumer based product. You could say we had professionals since the days of Billy Mitchell, but they aren't necessarily asking for Olympic status. Sports on the other hand was born from physical activities and getting people active, thus they're probably strict on what is and what is not a sport. "Sport Games" is two words, "Sports" and "Games". Study sports and that's all you see in conjunction with the two. I didn't hear a single word about eSports when I took a college class on Sociology of Sports. They didn't even go into the license issue with all the different club houses out there. Video Games are seen as ways of entertaining us or getting our kids to become obese. There's still people out there who have issues with violence in video games, so you have another issue. It's a demographic of a demographic in terms of the world of eSports. To enjoy most games in eSports you agree to a lot of the content that's being shown on the screen. Then you're fighting the issue of rather or not people should spend so much time playing the game. Then after all that is sorta considered then you'll look at the real competition and what the game was created for to begin with.

The thing about a lot of us is that we already accept all those checkpoints on that list. We accept the content, the reason for it to be fun or entertaining, and then there's why competition exists in the first place. We understand everything but another organization or person who doesn't see it the way we do. To me, it's challenging.

You have physical sports that involve hitting and so forth. People accept those as being a real sport (eg: football, boxing, etc). They might not see the FPS with a gun as being something better than it already is. In fact, there's a demographic out there who think we shouldn't have video games with guns.

FiraB

Banned
She's right.

The fact that there was any kind of eSports tournament at the winter X-Games is absurd.

That pretty much nails it. Companies shouldnt be trying to enter the normal sports tournaments/competitions for the reason of expanding coverage of esports to get them more recognized, they are already surpassing normal sports in viewership anyway.

They should just be making their own tournaments instead of invading the more traditional sport tournaments like x-games or even the olympics (when it happens). Lets face it esports focus on dexterity, focus and strategy and while that does cover some sports out there, in a traditional athletes minds it will never be the same because all they see when they look at esports is someone sitting in a chair playing a game and making it look easy in that competive environment.

Hell as someone that loves rugby, cricket and soccer(football), I consider them competitions not sports and yes I watch dota2 and LoL tournaments with just as much respect as the sports I like listed. They are two different things and whoever coined esports was a fucking moron, but it stuck because it sounded better then the alternatives like e-championships or e-tournaments.

...its all fucking marketings fault.

(1) Ability to press buttons and sticks quickly is a physical skill.
(2) The sort of games we're discussing here (fighting games, some MP shooters, maybe degenerated RTSes but maybe not) fulfill the definition above.
Since the definition of sport I brought is arguably the most arbitrary of the statements here, I'm going to assume you disagree with it, specifically with the part that says physical skills are enough. Correct?

Preemptively, if you think physical exertion is a necessity, where do we draw a line? I specifically think about curling. What do you think of it? It doesn't seem to involve much of physical exertion, but it seems to be considered a sport.

Video games aren't physical. At all. Pressing buttons isn't physical. Should we have speed typing as a sport too?

And you can argue about curling all you want. Curling is more of a sport and way more athletic than video games anyway.

RMI

Banned
Giving people medals for playing Halo at a high level isn't any more stupid than giving them medals for skateboarding well.

Video games don't really seem to be in the spirit of the x-games, though, so can't really argue with her on that.

(1) Ability to press buttons and sticks quickly is a physical skill.
(2) The sort of games we're discussing here (fighting games, some MP shooters, maybe degenerated RTSes but maybe not) fulfill the definition above.
Since the definition of sport I brought is arguably the most arbitrary of the statements here, I'm going to assume you disagree with it, specifically with the part that says physical skills are enough. Correct?

Preemptively, if you think physical exertion is a necessity, where do we draw a line? I specifically think about curling. What do you think of it? It doesn't seem to involve much of physical exertion, but it seems to be considered a sport.

Execution in a fighting game isn't much of a physical skill, it's more of a mental skill. I mean you manipulate the buttons with your fingers but the skill is in mental process not physical exertion.

Couldn't speak on Curling.

Giving people medals for playing Halo at a high level isn't any more stupid than giving them medals for skateboarding well.

I don't like skateboarding either but goddamn some of the things people manage to do on them is much more worthy of acknowledgement than playing videogames.

Dryk

Sure, but as someone else brought up, with bullshit like Dressage being in the Olympics, they won't have much of a leg to stand on. With that said, Dressage is a very specific thing that's been around forever. e-Sports covers a wide variety of games that change all the time. At one time Starcraft was the big e-Sports, now it's dying. MOBA's have since taken its place. But how long will that last? The earliest that e-Sports could make it into the Summer Olympics would be 2024 since the small list of possible new sports for 2020 are already out. By then will MOBA's still hold the position they do? Just that fact will make it hard for e-Sports to ever make it into the Olympics. If you look at any other Olympic sport the event is very specific with clear rules that rarely change in any way. That's not the case when you talk about e-Sports.
This is actually a pretty big hurdle to all forms of organised eSports. The people making games always want to push the latest and greatest but that flies in the face of everything organised competition at a high level is about. Even patching an existing game is fraught with danger in that regard. It's why I don't think you'd ever see something like the official Pokemon World Championships taken seriously, the format changes literally every year to keep the meta from settling.

Did she also take issue with the other X games video game events from the past?

MLG Call of Duty X Games Championship
MLG Counter Strike: Global Offensive X Games Championship

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We've crossed the barrier where eSports are considered a real business that's both making good money now and has a lot of growth potential in the future.

You're going to get a lot of culture clashing over time as they onboard onto physical sporting events and networks.

If chess tournaments and the like were notably successful, they would probably onboard over there, but they're not so it's the more traditional sports venues where they're going to show up.

Jimrpg

You know what the problem with sportspeople are?

They can't comprehend that video games are a competition too, just like poker. Most of all they can't comprehend that gamers/nerds can actually be sports people.

That's really all there is to it I reckon.

Zomba13

Eating a doughnut = fighting a doughnut = competition with a doughnut.

Eating a doughnut is a sport.

You can even be sillier with that. "I bet I can jerk off faster than you" "You're on"

COMPETITION START!

Thus the noble sport of jerking off began.

Overside

Banned
Eating a doughnut = fighting a doughnut = competition with a doughnut.

Eating a doughnut is a sport.

7_20130606052012_640_480.JPG

2003 donut eating world champion, and his big gold trophy.

Kinyou

When I think. X-games i think of sports where people regularly break their bones. Don't know if that still holds true,

You know what the problem with sportspeople are?

They can't comprehend that video games are a competition too, just like poker. Most of all they can't comprehend that gamers/nerds can actually be sports people.

That's really all there is to it I reckon.

That isn't really the case though. Her other tweets say gamers deserve their own medals and respect, similar to how an actor can win the academy award.

Everyone agrees gaming is a competition. It just isn't a sport IMO and definitely isn't an action sport like the X-Games.

Top Bottom