• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kushner called Lockheed Martin to get the Saudis a better deal

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm struggling to see the issue with this. I am by no means a Trump fan and would love to see them all go down in a spectacular blowout but this isn't it.

Obama administration sold to Saudis. There are plenty of things to be legitimately upset over no need to brew up more outrage and feed into the narrative perpetuated on Fox news.

I'm happy to change my mind if someone can explain to me a reason this story is worth outrage.

Edit: I'm not going to pretend like I care about Lockheed​ Martin either.

Faddy

Banned
I'm imagining Hewson answering the phone, then her jaw dropping before mouthing "what the fuck?" to someone else in the room. Then she collects herself and replies, "uhhh sure Jared, we'll uh, look into it?"

You say that like Lockheed isn't up to its eyes in shady deals. If she was taken aback it was with the openness of the request.

Here in good old Britain you need to go through a Royal to get the good arms deals. I guess some goober son in law is the American equivalent of a Prince

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'm struggling to see the issue with this. I am by no means a Trump fan and would love to see them all go down in a spectacular blowout but this isn't it.

Obama administration sold to Saudis. There are plenty of things to be legitimately upset over no need to brew up more outrage and feed into the narrative perpetuated on Fox news.

I'm happy to change my mind if someone can explain to me a reason this story is worth outrage.

Edit: I'm not going to pretend like I care about Lockheed​ Martin either.

Govt to govt sales would be done under the foreign military sales program (dsp-94). That would be arms aleady purchased by the US and then resold to foreign states. This is a direct sale from a US manufacturer to a foreign state.

Conflating the US government selling arms with the US government approving the selling of arms is making this unclear to me.

Not saying anything here is illegal, just a poorly worded article. I'll see if I can dig up an indsutry article later if this thread is still around.

trembli0s

This seems shady because what's in it for the U.S.? Why isn't that transparent? Pleading on behalf of Saudi Arabia?

What's in it for the US is contracts to train Saudi military forces in advising and the actual use of all their new expensive toys. Also increased cooperation on any number of fronts with the Saudi government.

It's also a $100 billion contract, even if you lop off $10 billion because of overpriced/oversold contracts. That's money that goes to American businesses. The military industrial complex is like a massive government jobs program. You have suppliers and contractors in every single state getting a little piece of the pie.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Would be amazing if there was a deal with the Saudis to kick back some of the savings if Trump's boy got them a better deal.

Top Bottom