• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us part II coming in two discs

I really wish they had continued to do it this way like they did back in the day for OG PS or even GCN. It always felt like you were getting this MASSIVE game, and it was cool. I think it also incentivized some laziness from devs because they had now SO much space that they didn't have to worry too much about compressing anything. This problem is magnified today with the advent of the internet: we don't have to finish the game before putting it in the disc, we have access to virtually unlimited storage space (within reason) since the game is now being store in a hard drive, etc. Also, they see this as a cost saving measure, since they do not have to put a second disc in the box. Pretty sad for physical collectors such as myself, because the game that is on the disc or cartridge sometimes its completely worthless or completely inferior without the patches. So, it's kinda cool to hear that this game will use two discs... maybe it won't be completely broken when it launches.

NickFire

If we are talking an 80 hour campaign bring it on. But two discs by itself does not prove anything to me. Doesn't pre-rendered video take up tons of space?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I won't be buying this on disc. Forget switching discs. I was done with that after Splinter Cell: Black List.

ZywyPL

Banned
50GB+ is pretty much common nowadays, no? The game is SP-only, so it better be fully playable offline, as oppose to online-oriented games, which can easily get away with being one disc only thanks to additional 20-60GB day-one "patches".

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It can probably easily fit on one disc, they just don't want to do any sort of compression or optimization because I guess western devs don't know how to do those things anymore.
So far the previews said there was no sandbox. They speculated that areas were twice as big as the first.

I guess we'll see. But you might be right.

If we are talking an 80 hour campaign bring it on. But two discs by itself does not prove anything to me. Doesn't pre-rendered video take up tons of space?
How long is the longest modern ND game? 15-18 hrs?

Last edited:

NickFire

So far the previews said there was no sandbox. They speculated that areas were twice as big as the first.

I guess we'll see. But you might be right.

How long is the longest modern ND game? 15-18 hrs?
I've got no idea. I'm just excited for possibility of a real long story, but wondering if the double discs are just for pre-rendered stuff.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I've got no idea. I'm just excited for possibility of a real long story, but wondering if the double discs are just for pre-rendered stuff.
I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's even 40 hours.

But maybe they will do something surprising. RDR2 was pretty long.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Who could be a computer science savant for all you know. Wind your neck in.
maxresdefault.jpg

Birdo

Banned
Can we assume that every next-gen game will be multiple discs then?

I honestly can't see a single BR disc containing next gen textures.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Games have been around 50GB for a few years now. Expect more multi-disc games on PS5. These things aren't getting smaller.

Me? I love this shit. Takes me back.

All this means is that there are a sizeable amount of prerendered cutscenes in the game. Which is a shame considering how much they were lauded for their move to real-time cutscenes in Uncharted 4.

Keihart

All this means is that there are a sizeable amount of prerendered cutscenes in the game. Which is a shame considering how much they were lauded for their move to real-time cutscenes in Uncharted 4.
You think? i don't honestly. Why would they with the LOD changes they can do in real time since U4.

Last edited:
You think? i don't honestly. Why would they with the LOD changes they can do in real time since U4.
I mean, what else is eating up so much space? Textures and sound take up a sizeable portion, but enough to require two Blu-Ray discs?

But hey, I may be wrong - I haven't actually kept up with the coverage (quasi-media blackout) so I haven't seen how much is realtime or not.

Keihart

I mean, what else is eating up so much space? Textures and sound take up a sizeable portion, but enough to require two Blu-Ray discs?

But hey, I may be wrong - I haven't actually kept up with the coverage (quasi-media blackout) so I haven't seen how much is realtime or not.
I don't really why the game is so big, but something new about sound, there seem to be voice clips for every human enemies. They are now able to call their friends by name and yell specifics things about the situation according to one of the devs in a recent video.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Naughty Dog seem to be holding a lot of cards really close to their chest here, for what we’ve seen just indicates what you might anticipate from a current gen upgrade to TLOU. Better animation, visuals, bigger levels, some greater scope audio and visual attention to detail

Pretty standard updating for an ND project. They managed all that on UC4 which was 20-30 hours and also had multiplayer and was crammed with polish and Easter eggs

So what is it requiring this to
1) be their longest dev cycle ever
2) claim it’s their most ambitious game ever
3) force them to cut multiplayer to focus purely on the campaign
4) be on 2 BR discs

I’m more interested in what they aren’t telling us right now than what they are showing. Like what does a 25 hour SP only game need that for? It made sense in RDR2 considering the scale and detail

Seems like a bit of the Gears 5 / GOW treatment where we didn’t really know what it was until launch

But I’m also highly skeptical if they decide to go open world. I’m honestly craving a bit of linearity in my SP campaigns with nearly everything being open word these days

scalman

so wait , we need new thred now for every thing that happens in game ? how about just talk all in one place ? no ? thats not how you do it here ? but its a mess , things all over , and they shouldnt be like this.

Chronos24

No multiplayer huh, bummer I guess. I really enjoyed the multiplayer from the first one. If SP is really long I'm ok with it. As if I'm not gonna buy it anyway this will probably be the highest selling game in the shortest amount of time... of all time... If that makes sense

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No multiplayer huh, bummer I guess. I really enjoyed the multiplayer from the first one. If SP is really long I'm ok with it. As if I'm not gonna buy it anyway this will probably be the highest selling game in the shortest amount of time... of all time... If that makes sense

For Naughty Dog yes absolutely. For Sony first party its totally possible. On PS4, much less of all time? Heh naw.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I won't be buying this on disc. Forget switching discs. I was done with that after Splinter Cell: Black List.

Games this gen don’t play off the discs. They install fully on the HD/SSD just like digital. The disc is just a DRM to read the executable so they know you still have the game physically.

On two disks, one just stays in the box and the other is used as the executable read.

Good they didn't cheap out and make people download half the game. If I buy a physical version of a game I expect the disc to be fully playable from beginning to end without any patches.

Winter John

so wait , we need new thred now for every thing that happens in game ? how about just talk all in one place ? no ? thats not how you do it here ? but its a mess , things all over , and they shouldnt be like this.

Yup. Now that the media push has begun there will be endless, pointless threads about every aspect of it until 2 weeks after release. It will be unbearable.

Top Bottom