• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us part II coming in two discs

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Games this gen don’t play off the discs. They install fully on the HD/SSD just like digital. The disc is just a DRM to read the executable so they know you still have the game physically.

On two disks, one just stays in the box and the other is used as the executable read.
Really? Interesting. Wonder how big the game is

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Really? Interesting. Wonder how big the game is

Yep. Will be even better next gen with proprietary speed setups and SSD.

I am guessing in the 85GB+ range.

Would not be shocked if a multiplayer did come down the road separately like RDR2 did as well.

Roni

Gold Member
Neither is dismissing someone's opinion because they're a random on the internet when you yourself are a random on the internet.
Your first instinct when presented with information given to you by responsible people shouldn't be to believe the concerns of the stranger next to you.

Think about it: if they could compress the data to make the game one disc, why would they take a cut to their profits by making it two discs or risk losing consumers by passing on that cost into the final price?

sol_bad

It can probably easily fit on one disc, they just don't want to do any sort of compression or optimization because I guess western devs don't know how to do those things anymore.

Even if true, no harm in putting it on 2 discs if they can. Why waste time working out the best compression methods if you can just slap it on without compression?

Shifty

Your first instinct when presented with information given to you by responsible people shouldn't be to believe the concerns of the stranger next to you.

Think about it: if they could compress the data to make the game one disc, why would they take a cut to their profits by making it two discs or risk losing consumers by passing on that cost into the final price?
See, now you're overthinking it and extrapolating my intent past "shut up dismissing people for being randos, you rando cunt".

And lol at 'information given to you by responsible people'. The only reasoning ND gave was "it's too ambitious for one disc", that doesn't tell us bugger all. Your proposition is just as much speculation as Whitesnake's is.

semiconscious

Gold Member
"Random dude on the internet" is still more trustworthy than "dude who is paid to spin this news positively" lol

ok: what, exactly, is so inherently negative about a game being shipped on 2 discs? as was red dead redemption 2? i mean, why, in your opinion, would anyone even have to bother trying to spin this as positive?...

sheesh!...

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
ok: what, exactly, is inherently negative about a game being shipped on 2 discs? as was red dead redemption 2?...

I don’t care about discs. The problem is that, assuming they’re having one data disc and one play disc, they are forcing people to install an obscene and unnecessary amount of data, which is the same problem as large day-one patches. It’s especially bad for people who download it digitally because the game’s gonna take up 80gb when it really shouldn’t. Launch PS4s and XBones only have 500gb hard drives.

Rockstar doesn’t have a great track record with compression either (there is no reason GTAV had to be 60gb+ at launch, for example).

semiconscious

Gold Member
I don’t care about discs. The problem is that, assuming they’re having one data disc and one play disc, they are forcing people to install an obscene and unnecessary amount of data, which is the same problem as large day-one patches. It’s especially bad for people who download it digitally because the game’s gonna take up 80gb when it really shouldn’t. Launch PS4s and XBones only have 500gb hard drives.

Rockstar doesn’t have a great track record with compression either (there is no reason GTAV had to be 60gb+ at launch, for example).

so, you just know this? how do you know this?...

you, personally, draw the line at 80gb? why not at 40gb? or at 50gb? you understand how arbitrary this is, how it's you deciding what constitutes an 'obscene' amount of data?...

welcome to 2019 gaming. compression's technology, it's not magic. you can only compress so much, & triple-a games are only gonna continue getting larger...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yup. Now that the media push has begun there will be endless, pointless threads about every aspect of it until 2 weeks after release. It will be unbearable.
KRvADkG.png

Roni

Gold Member
See, now you're overthinking it and extrapolating my intent past "shut up dismissing people for being randos, you rando cunt".

And lol at 'information given to you by responsible people'. The only reasoning ND gave was "it's too ambitious for one disc", that doesn't tell us bugger all. Your proposition is just as much speculation as Whitesnake's is.
Sure, pal. Carry on carrying on.

Sure, pal. Carry on carrying on.
Likewise, buster. Try and bring better argumentation next time.
I wouldn't wait standing

STOP IT! JUST STOP IT! STOP FIGHTING!

Look at what this game is doing to us! It is tearing us apart! Why are we wasting time arguing about how many discs they are using? We should be discussing Ellie's back and how manly it is!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GOOD POINT! Never thought about it that way. I do wonder why the game is so large though.

Bigger world to explore I would imagine. Probably a longer game as well.

The previews were saying how you can enter much more buildings than before, more assets, more data, etc..

Bankai

It can probably easily fit on one disc, they just don't want to do any sort of compression or optimization because I guess western devs don't know how to do those things anymore.

Some people don't agree with you, but you're actually right. It's no secret lots of games use uncompressed audio now, just because they can. I recall Titanfall 2: LINK

Nowadays it just isn't very nessecary anymore to invest time/money into compressing video and/or audio. It's way easier to just dump uncompressed files on the disc (or download). There are lots of compression techniques which are nearly lossless in quality, but use way less space. But again, why invest money/time in that process nowadays anymore (is what lots of developers think)?

In them "cartridge days" datasize did matter a lot. A 24meg cart was way more expensive than a 16meg for example. Corners were cut constantly in that era; thying to find the best balance in terms of cost and quality.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Making a game with that graphic and animation on a 100 dollar shitty hardware is not knowing optimization of resources just because they can't make a 1 disc game??

Can i have the number of your drug dealer?

But more important, who cares about changing a disc one time in a 20-30 hours game??

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Bigger world to explore I would imagine. Probably a longer game as well.

The previews were saying how you can enter much more buildings than before, more assets, more data, etc..

So this game will probably be 30+ hours then right? I'm trying to understand how it's bigger than RDR2.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So this game will probably be 30+ hours then right? I'm trying to understand how it's bigger than RDR2.

I would say 20-25 hours. Who is saying it is bigger than RDR2?

RDR2 came on two discs as well. The game can come in under the size of RDR2 vanilla and still be in the 70-85GB range requiring two discs.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
N
Not really, we were promised MP.....alledgedly. this way they can charge us for the download and the extra disk that will be sent so the downloads works because greed or some shit.
I believe what NaughtyDog said is legitimate, assuming you're being charged or whatever and that the extra disk is for downloads, and greed is an interesting thought.

avalonzero

It's a shame that they don't have you around to show them the proper eastern way of doing things.

ZehDon

Install disc and play disc, just like GTAV on last gen. Gets around all kinds of limitations while enabling better asset streaming.
My only concern is that it’ll be mostly assets for over-long cutscenes. ND’s games have been trending toward more movie than game for two generations. Fingers crossed.

2 disc ?

For a no multiplayer and not open world game that huge

I suppose the game have lots of FMV that cant be compressed into one disc ? High demanding graphics ?

xrnzaaas

GOOD POINT! Never thought about it that way. I do wonder why the game is so large though.
It may contain a lot of uncompressed stuff or simply very high quality textures. We can be sure they'll squeeze the absolute maximum from PS4 Pro to make the game look pretty.

Fahdis

Sumimasen... wtf Senpai!

I'm in the digital only camp... so I guess will have to wait for 3 days to play it... AFTER THE DOWNLOAD IS DONE.

Top Bottom