• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Learning Japanese |OT| ..honor and shame are huge parts of it. Let's!

meronpan

Neo Member
Hiragana learnt, now on to katakana -_-

Why two writing systems. I mean, you could perfectly write foreign words with hiragana, right ?

Sure, you can, but its not comfortable. If you get to the point that you actually see why it is easier to read a text in Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana combination instead of having the same text only in Hiragana, you can answer this question yourself. :)

Just keep on it and train hard. Kana is really easily mastered in short time. Then the actual fun starts.

Why two writing systems. I mean, you could perfectly write foreign words with hiragana, right ?
きょう、もおるへいって、ぶらいんどをかって、あいすをたべました

今日、モールへ行って、ブラインドを買って、アイスを食べました

The mix of hiragana, katakana, and kanji makes the second example way easier to read.

Zoe

Why kanji. I mean, you could perfectly write kanji words with hiragana right?

Why hiragana. I mean, you could perfectly write hiragana words with roman characters right?

Sure, you can, but its not comfortable. If you get to the point that you actually see why it is easier to read a text in Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana combination instead of having the same text only in Hiragana, you can answer this question yourself. :)

Just keep on it and train hard. Kana is really easily mastered in short time. Then the actual fun starts.

Yes,but it would be difficult differentiating between foreign terms and native language. The writing systems will make sense to you when you begin to read native material.

The mix of hiragana, katakana, and kanji makes the second example way easier to read.

Why kanji. I mean, you could perfectly write kanji words with hiragana right?

Why hiragana. I mean, you could perfectly write hiragana words with roman characters right?
No, because of homophones :p

Point taken, I was just complaining because I am a lazy ass person :p

It is kind of insane having to learn a minimum 92 characters to even begin to study a language though.

Similar characters don't bother me though. After learning Arabic it doesn't scare me ha ha

Rutger

Banned
It is kind of insane having to learn a minimum 92 characters to even begin to study a language though.

It really isn't. It doesn't take long to get started with them, and then you keep using those characters in your studies to cement them.

Once you get used to them you probably won't want to read Japanese in Romaji anymore.

I was studying Chinese a little and I noticed that the Mandarin word for America is pronounced very similarly to the Korean word for America.

In Mandarin it's 美国. ~ Měiguó
In Korean it's 미국 but the hanja is 美國. ~Miguk
These come out to mean "beautiful country" both times. Obviously they both have the same origin.

I decided to look it up in Japanese, and I read that it's 米国. "Rice country". I have no idea how to write that phonetically, but in the pronunciation on google translate 米 sounds a tiny bit like the first character of the Mandarin and Korean words.

So I'm wondering, did the Japanese just assign 米 to their name for America because it sounds a bit like the already established Chinese name for America, or is there another reason? Maybe because it sounds like the English word for America (to me it sounds like ah-mei)? Is it just a coincidence?

I also wonder if China thought that America was so beautiful that they wanted to call it 美国, or if that's just a coincidence as well.

How can I find out things like this?

urfe

I was studying Chinese a little and I noticed that the Mandarin word for America is pronounced very similarly to the Korean word for America.

These come out to mean "beautiful country" both times. Obviously they both have the same origin.

I decided to look it up in Japanese, and I read that it's 米国. "Rice country". I have no idea how to write that phonetically, but in the pronunciation on google translate 米 sounds a tiny bit like the first character of the Mandarin and Korean words.

So I'm wondering, did the Japanese just assign 米 to their name for America because it sounds a bit like the already established Chinese name for America, or is there another reason? Maybe because it sounds like the English word for America (to me it sounds like ah-mei)? Is it just a coincidence?

I also wonder if China thought that America was so beautiful that they wanted to call it 美国, or if that's just a coincidence as well.

I would guess Japan and China weren't coordinating kanji when America came about and developed theirs independently.

While America is BEI-KOKU in Japanese, I've heard it's because 米 can be pronounced me(i) as well.

Never looked into though.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

I don't have any specific answers for you, but as for the last point, at least in Japanese, the choice of a specific kanji for a country name is mostly, if not only down to sound, not meaning. For instance, the kanji writing for France is 仏蘭西 (fu-ran-su) which would literally mean "Buddha-Orchid-West". And while France is known for being a Western country, I don't think orchid lovers and buddhists are that prevalent over here :p. When shortened, France becomes just 仏, which, again, means "Buddha". Kanji-as-phonetics is the norm for country names in Japan, at least when it comes to non-Asian countries. Though honestly people just use katakana to write them nowadays.

Sakura

America = 亜米利加 (アメリカ/Amerika)
米国 is an abbreviation which comes from the second kanji used to write America. One of the ways 米 can be pronounced is べい(bei), so when abbreviated for America, people say bei, like beikoku or beigun. The Japanese name for America comes from the English name for America. They used kanji to write names of many foreign countries, but today it is mostly just katakana. 米国 as an abbreviation has stuck around though.
I'm not an expert though.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It is with great shame that I come to you guys to help me phrase something that I should be able to write on my own. I guess it shows I don't live and Japan and barely practice the language anymore.

I got one of those "congratulations on your work anniversary" LinkedIn messages from this Japanese person we've done some business with (nothing major, she's worked for us on some smaller projects and vice versa, and we've met her once or twice. She's a world-minded person, and very much Westernized in many respects; not a typical stuck-up Japanese businessman).

Her message is just this: 勤続記念日、おめでとうございます。益々のご活躍をお祈りしております。

I'm struggling with how to reply. I basically just wanna say "thank you for the congratulations" without coming off as too abrupt, too casual or overly formal. What would you suggest?

P.S.: I hate polite phrases and all that nonsense in Japanese :(.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe just something simple like:

お祝いのお言葉ありがとうございます!

or even just plainly: ありがとうございます!

and follow up with something like:

今後ともどうぞよろしくお願いします。

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah sorry been busy with restarting my Japan life. everyone in the thread is done learning Japanese anyway so no big deal

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

It is a simple problem that can be solved by introducing blank spaces imo. There is no ambiguity in english for instance.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
There is no problem other than you not gitting gud

Laieon

I'm learning Korea, not Japanese, but I thought I'd ask here anyway and see if y'all had any useful tips.

When I'm learning new vocabulary, I'll always get to the point where if I see the word, I'll recognize it, but then when it comes to actually using it my mind is a complete blank. What method do you guys use for vocabulary?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

I am not sure where this personal attack comes from. I am stating, very clearly, that the suggestion that japanese is not readable without 3 writing systems is not true. It is unreadable using hiragana alone now because they adopted 3 writing systems at some point in history, and the language itself changed to fit the 3 systems. It could easily have gone the other way, with 1 writing system, possibly supplemented with spaces so you can easily tell which point a word begins and ends.

For an example of this, the korean language evolved from a dual system (a phonetic system with chinese characters) to an entirely phonetic one right now for instance.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I'm learning Korea, not Japanese, but I thought I'd ask here anyway and see if y'all had any useful tips.

When I'm learning new vocabulary, I'll always get to the point where if I see the word, I'll recognize it, but then when it comes to actually using it my mind is a complete blank. What method do you guys use for vocabulary?

There is no substitute for communicating with other people imo. You cannot just passively absorb material and expect to be able to apply it.

It is a simple problem that can be solved by introducing blank spaces imo. There is no ambiguity in english for instance.
Alright, let's add spaces!
きょう、もおるへ いって、ぶらいんどを かって、あいすを たべました

...Nope, still a pain in the goddamn ass to read. EDIT: Like, it's not *hard* to read. It's just a pain in the fucking ass.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

...Nope, still a pain in the goddamn ass to read. EDIT: Like, it's not *hard* to read. It's just a pain in the fucking ass.

I would add the spaces as such:

きょう、 もおる へ いって、ぶらいんど を かって、あいす を たべました

so that the particles are separated as well.

I think this is much easier to read. It is fairly clear even without the kanji, and entirely obvious to a native speaker IMO. The spacing makes it clear もおる is a place, ぶらいんど is an object, いって, かって, たべました are verbs, and that is all it needed to make things clear.

Kurita

It's actually written this way in Hirake Nihongo manuals (my college uses them) at the beginning, to make the structure clearer. Definitely helps people who aren't used to the language. It can be hard to separate the words yourselves when it's just hiragana, trust me, I saw it.

I think this is much easier to read. It is fairly clear even without the kanji, and entirely obvious to a native speaker IMO. The spacing makes it clear もおる is a place, ぶらいんど is an object, いって, かって, たべました are verbs, and that is all it needed to make things clear.
It's not that it's necessarily hard to read or parse. It's just that you can figure out what it means in 3 seconds rather than however long it would take to piece it together from the context.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It's not that it's necessarily hard to read or parse. It's just that you can figure out what it means in 3 seconds rather than however long it would take to piece it together from the context.

That is only because you are not used to it. As I said, for a counter example, one needs to only look at the korean language, which evolved in the opposite direction as the japanese, to show that the alternate system can also work. Korean also used to use chinese characters together with their own alphabet at one point, but evolved entirely to the phonetic system.

Resilient

Yeah sorry been busy with restarting my Japan life. everyone in the thread is done learning Japanese anyway so no big deal

eat a dick

so that the particles are separated as well.

instead of learning japanese, let's point out how we can change the language to make it easier for ourselves

HGDpVoC.gif

hey......i think i'm gonna retract that eat a dick...sorry mate

But how would I ever know the difference between 暑い and 熱い without kanjis??? Riddle me that.

They also just make it way easier to scan a sentence and increase reading speed in general. It's easy to be resistant at first but you dont need to go to expert mode and dedicate 100% of your time for months on it; you can learn kanjis pretty easily in the background of your other studies in "minutes a day."

You can also make a very strong argument that kanjis are just an integral part of Japanese culture that people just dont want to lose, especially since it would mean losing 1000+ years of written text for future generations.

Hiragana done, learning Katakana now. Funny how angular and easier to write it is imho. I like when some characters look alike across hiragana and katakana (such as か and カ or き and キ) but not like せ and サ.

I saw the conversation, maybe keeping all the hiragana/katakana and kanji plus spaces would be good ?

Japanese, the Dark Souls of languages.

Been studying for a few months and just now going through Hiragana (I understand that should have been first). I can speak Japanese and hold a small conversation and count to 100, so it's a good start if I must say. Memorizing Hiragana is a mind-boggler. I have been studying for a week with it and only have a-t memorized (Mostly). I still mix up characters every now and then. Trying to get prepared for when I teach abroad in a few years.

Stalk

But how would I ever know the difference between 暑い and 熱い without kanjis??? Riddle me that.

I quite liked that when they clicked for me whilst learning. Homonyms are an issue in any language though really...

So random question, what's more common 日焼け止め or サンスクリーン.

Not really a learning question that one, I'm in Japan in August and just a passing thought. My learning has been a bit crap lately since I haven't had time between working and sorting out several other things (buying a house... family stuff etc). I managed to get two months into whiteboard though and I can say I definitely started to feel more confident.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
eat a dick

instead of learning japanese, let's point out how we can change the language to make it easier for ourselves

HGDpVoC.gif

hey......i think i'm gonna retract that eat a dick...sorry mate

Nobody is discussing changing the language. You missed the point conversation. The point being made by some people is that kanji and katakana are necessary to make understandable. I am simply pointing out they are not, because there are examples of languages that do not need multiple systems to be understandable (like English) and even languages that started with a Japanese like system with multiple writing systems and evolved into a single writing system language (like Korean). If you do not like that, feel free not to participate in it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That is only because you are not used to it. As I said, for a counter example, one needs to only look at the korean language, which evolved in the opposite direction as the japanese, to show that the alternate system can also work. Korean also used to use chinese characters together with their own alphabet at one point, but evolved entirely to the phonetic system.

Evolved or devolved? Certainly it helped improve literacy among the population, but it also resulted in the language losing a lot of usable vocabulary, because, like Japanese, there were a ton of homonyms from Chinese character compounds, especially in more technical/medical fields.

You also lose out on linguistic nuances like this.

Nobody is discussing changing the language. You missed the point conversation. The point being made by some people is that kanji and katakana are necessary to make understandable. I am simply pointing out they are not, because there are examples of languages that do not need multiple systems to be understandable (like English) and even languages that started with a Japanese like system with multiple writing systems and evolved into a single writing system language (like Korean). If you do not like that, feel free not to participate in it.

Japanese, as it currently exists, requires its writing systems. Could a version of Japanese be formed that uses only phonetic characters? Sure. It wouldn't be the same as the Japanese that exists today, though. A lot would be lost, and I can't imagine much would be gained.

So, yes, you are discussing changing the language, because the writing systems are absolutely an integral part of what makes Japanese Japanese as it exists today.

So random question, what's more common 日焼け止め or サンスクリーン

I've been to the beach dozens of times with my Japanese hubby, in-laws, and most recently a co-worker, and I've never heard them say サンスクリーン。 Always日焼け止め。

Stalk

I've been to the beach dozens of times with my Japanese hubby, in-laws, and most recently a co-worker, and I've never heard them say サンスクリーン。 Always日焼け止め。

Well, I trusted my dictionary haha. Thanks.

Katakana is usually used for borrowed English words, or just borrowed words in general from other languages.

Think of Hiragana and Katakana like the English upper case and lower case. Yes. Some of English upper case and lower case look similar, but some are different, similar to Katakana.

Our "A" and "a" are different, same as "G" "g", "E" "e", etc..

Wait until you get to Kanji, that's when things get interesting.

Katakana is usually used for borrowed English words, or just borrowed words in general from other languages.

Think of Hiragana and Katakana like the English upper case and lower case. Yes. Some of English upper case and lower case look similar, but some are different, similar to Katakana.

Our "A" and "a" are different, same as "G" "g", "E" "e", etc..

Wait until you get to Kanji, that's when things get interesting.
Huh, interesting to think of it that way ! That puts it in perspective.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Evolved or devolved? Certainly it helped improve literacy among the population, but it also resulted in the language losing a lot of usable vocabulary, because, like Japanese, there were a ton of homonyms from Chinese character compounds, especially in more technical/medical fields.

I am not quite sure you understand evolution. Evolution is not about gradually changing to something that is a perfect version of itself. I am not quite sure I like your suggestion that Japanese is inherently better than korean because it has Kanji.

The Korean language exists, and is perfectly functional. Your suggestion that Koreans are constantly tripping over themselves because of homophones is not based on reality (I actually live in Seoul, and my colleagues are physicists which is as technical a field as it can get). Disambiguation when necessary is as easy as explaining, and all this talk about homophones are basically irrelevant because while homophones can exist, they don't typically exist in the same contexts out of necessity. This should be obvious to anyone who knows any language since languages are made to be spoken first before they are written. When I say "I want the aisle seat" you wouldn't confuse "aisle" and "isle" just because it is not spelt out.

Could a version of Japanese be formed that uses only phonetic characters? Sure.

Good, I am glad you agree with my thesis.

Resilient

normally I'd agree but this is hardly an excuse for discussion. This kind of discussion has no meaningful outcome.

In fact I'd argue that it's detrimental. To new learners and people who are struggling. Why even discuss simplifying a language when it's not practical? It just perpetuates bad habits and thought processes. "There are too many writing systems" should have the answer "maybe so, but just learn them" and that's it. If it's too hard, stop learning. But let's not pretend there is something to gain out of what you brought up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am not quite sure you understand evolution. Evolution is not about gradually changing to something that is a perfect version of itself. I am not quite sure I like your suggestion that Japanese is inherently better than korean because it has Kanji.

The Korean language exists, and is perfectly functional. Your suggestion that Koreans are constantly tripping over themselves because of homophones is not based on reality (I actually live in Seoul, and my colleagues are physicists which is as technical a field as it can get). Disambiguation when necessary is as easy as explaining, and all this talk about homophones are basically irrelevant because while homophones can exist, they don't typically exist in the same contexts out of necessity. This should be obvious to anyone who knows any language since languages are made to be spoken first before they are written. When I say "I want the aisle seat" you wouldn't confuse "aisle" and "isle" just because it is not spelt out.

Good, I am glad you agree with my thesis.

Weren't you complaining about personal attacks earlier? Nice snide comment at the beginning of your post, there. I'm pretty sure you meant "evolution" as in "improvement," which is why I worded it how I did. I do not think removing Kanji from the language would be an improvement. I am not well enough versed in Korean to make a definitive statement either way, but I don't see how removing Chinese characters from the language benefited it in any way other than to improve literacy rates among the general population. Removing options that allow for the elimination of ambiguity does not improve the quality of the language.

There are far fewer homonyms in English than in languages like Korean and Japanese. Also, your example of two words with the same pronunciation that are spelled differently illustrates exactly why Kanji can be helpful. While you may not confuse "aisle" and "isle" in a spoken situation with full context, it's very possible you might confuse the two if both were written using the exact same characters as they inevitably would be in a purely phonetic script like Hangul or Hiragana.

I do not agree with your thesis, or at least how I interpreted it, which was that Japanese would be just as understandable without Kanji as it is currently with Kanji. I think that's nonsense. A form of the Japanese language could obviously exist without Kanji. It would be very different to the Japanese we know today, however. I don't think there is anything to gain yet much to lose from a hypothetical situation in which Kanji were dropped.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
<sigh> Short, seemingly easy sentences are the worst if you're not familiar with that kind of texts.

Someone kindly asked me if I could translate this to Japanese:

"This year, Japan will be at the center of <name of the festival> as Country of Honor."

First, does"Country of Honor" make any sense to native English speakers in the first place? Or does that sound like it's literally translated from another language to you? The meaning is essentially "featured country".

But more to the point, I'm not even sure what the Japanese equivalent would be. Do you think &#25307;&#24453;&#22269; would work?

I'm thinking of saying something like "Japan was chosen as the country of honor"... Would any of these work?
- &#26085;&#26412;&#12364;&#25307;&#24453;&#22269;&#12392;&#12356;&#12358;&#12371;&#12392;&#12395;&#12394;&#12426;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;
- &#20170;&#24180;&#12398;&#25307;&#24453;&#22269;&#12399;&#26085;&#26412;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;
- &#20170;&#24180;&#25307;&#24453;&#22269;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390;&#36984;&#12400;&#12428;&#12383;&#12398;&#12399;&#26085;&#26412;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;

Maybe &#36984;&#12400;&#12428;&#12427; should be replace by a &#28450;&#35486;... &#36984;&#20986;?

God I'm bad at this.

[EDIT] Also, they want to record me saying it - it's okay if I'm a &#12496;&#12459;&#22806;&#20154; apparently. And now I've got all those TV ads and talk show voiceovers going through my head and I find myself wanting to add stuff like &#12394;&#12435;&#12392; >> &#20170;&#24180;&#12398;&#25307;&#24453;&#22269;&#12399;&#12394;&#12435;&#12392;&#12289;&#26085;&#26412;&#12391;&#12377;&#65281; But it's probably too casual.

Forkball

Kanji is a necessary evil. I hated it at first, but now I struggle to read hiragana only sentences. Kanji can also assist in helping you remember the word by picturing it in your mind. However, many authors forego kanji for hiragana for stylistic purposes and it completely throws me off, even on simple words.

urfe

<sigh> Short, seemingly easy sentences are the worst if you're not familiar with that kind of texts.

Someone kindly asked me if I could translate this to Japanese:

"This year, Japan will be at the center of <name of the festival> as Country of Honor."

First, does"Country of Honor" make any sense to native English speakers in the first place? Or does that sound like it's literally translated from another language to you? The meaning is essentially "featured country".

But more to the point, I'm not even sure what the Japanese equivalent would be. Do you think &#25307;&#24453;&#22269; would work?

I'm thinking of saying something like "Japan was chosen as the country of honor"... Would any of these work?
- &#26085;&#26412;&#12364;&#25307;&#24453;&#22269;&#12392;&#12356;&#12358;&#12371;&#12392;&#12395;&#12394;&#12426;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;
- &#20170;&#24180;&#12398;&#25307;&#24453;&#22269;&#12399;&#26085;&#26412;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;
- &#20170;&#24180;&#25307;&#24453;&#22269;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390;&#36984;&#12400;&#12428;&#12383;&#12398;&#12399;&#26085;&#26412;&#12391;&#12377;&#12290;

Maybe &#36984;&#12400;&#12428;&#12427; should be replace by a &#28450;&#35486;... &#36984;&#20986;?

God I'm bad at this.

[EDIT] Also, they want to record me saying it - it's okay if I'm a &#12496;&#12459;&#22806;&#20154; apparently. And now I've got all those TV ads and talk show voiceovers going through my head and I find myself wanting to add stuff like &#12394;&#12435;&#12392; >> &#20170;&#24180;&#12398;&#25307;&#24453;&#22269;&#12399;&#12394;&#12435;&#12392;&#12289;&#26085;&#26412;&#12391;&#12377;&#65281; But it's probably too casual.

A quick Google search showed the term &#20027;&#36051;&#22269; has been used before.

&#20027;&#36051;&#22269;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390;&#26085;&#26412;&#12399;&#12295;&#12295;&#31085;&#12398;&#20013;&#24515;&#12395;&#12354;&#12426;&#12414;&#12377; maybe?

Tuck

I'm really struggling to understand the usage of &#12371;&#12392;and &#12424;&#12358;&#12395;. Both seem to be used half a dozen different ways (&#12371;&#12392; especially) and its not clicking. &#12392;&#12375;&#12390; is another one that is going over my head - the book says it means "as" but that doesn't really make sense int he context of the sentences I'm looking at.

I'm working through the Tobira textbook. Its good. But tough. I'm on chapter four. This is the first chapter where I'm really feeling at a loss, but I imagine its gonna get worse from here.

urfe

I'm really struggling to understand the usage of &#12371;&#12392;and &#12424;&#12358;&#12395;. Both seem to be used half a dozen different ways (&#12371;&#12392; especially) and its not clicking. &#12392;&#12375;&#12390; is another one that is going over my head - the book says it means "as" but that doesn't really make sense int he context of the sentences I'm looking at.

I'm working through the Tobira textbook. Its good. But tough. I'm on chapter four. This is the first chapter where I'm really feeling at a loss, but I imagine its gonna get worse from here.

I think &#12371;&#12392; and &#12424;&#12358;&#12395; (or &#12424;&#12358;&#12394;) are best understood in he context of Japanese, and not translating them.

&#12392;&#12375;&#12390; to me is almost exactly not "as" but "as a" to me. &#21451;&#36948;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390; would mean "as a friend". &#21516;&#20698;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390; would mean as a colleague.

&#24444;&#12364;&#21451;&#36948;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390;&#22909;&#12365;

&#21516;&#20698;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390;&#22909;&#12365;&#12394;&#12435;&#12384;&#12369;&#12393;&#12289;&#24615;&#26684;&#12364;&#21512;&#12431;&#12394;&#12356;

Top Bottom