• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild has no towns, handful of stray NPCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

Talking to people in zelda is the worst part of every zelda game. Good riddance.

This sounds like Zelda 1 and that is amazing.

Feichaw

I think it's something we need to wait and see their approach. I mean, it's not necessarily bad. The original game didn't have a town and it was amazing.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Skyward Sword released

Fans: wtf why we spend so much time in town

Nintendo: we fix

I think it can work if they are going for a sense of isolation and exploration and a search for clues as to the history of the area and maybe why it is uninhabited now or never was inhabited.

Also I've always found Zelda NPCs mostly grating and annoying anyways so this doesn't bother me in that sense either

nowai

Sounds good too me! The more Souls inspiration the better.

Item description lore, stamina meter, dropped into open world with no clear direction, free to explore, subtle music and audio design all with that Zelda charm!...oh and witch time.

I am so down.

Woffls

Disappointed, sure, but if towns don't fit properly in the game they want to make, then they shouldn't be there.

There are some story scenarios where the presence of towns would make no sense at all, so I'm guessing it's one of those... one in particular.

Hazzuh

Windfall Island and Clocktown are two of my favourite environments in any game. The NPCs and towns are some of the things that give Zelda games their unique personality which no one else can touch IMO.

Same, bummer for me. Even more so after seeing the emptiness of the world in the demo.
Of course the game is still in development, so let's hope for the best, but for now I fear the game will suffer from the same syndrome as a lot of open world games.

Just saw the trailer. I still don't know what to think of this one. It looked pretty empty. I'm not one of the people asking for Zelda Souls, but I was a bit underwhelmed. And this news has me even more skeptical. Sorry, folks.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have zero issue with this.

There weren't towns in Zelda 1, which is what they were trying to go back to here.

LaNaranja

I may actually play this. The only Zelda I played was Wind Waker and it felt like I wasted way too much time in dumb villages and barely did any platforming or fighting. By the time I reached the bird people town I said "oh fuck off" and just stopped playing. If this game has none of that bullshit that would be great.

balgajo

Wow..wtf Nintendo?
After all the teases I thought they were going take Majora's Mask inspiration too.
Sad news

Are we sure about this?

This if form IGN's interview with Aonuma this morning:

IGN said:
He also wouldn’t talk about towns. “I can't share too much about villages because to tell you how the villages work, they're interconnected to the story and overall world.”

papo

Oh FFS are you guys really bummed out there are no town so that now you can't do trivial stuff on it?

The game clearly is a remake or take a lot from NEZ LOZ. It's name also speak to Link being in the wild. I'm sure there will be structure , a castle etc etc, just no established town with dogs and cuckoos and stupid carnival games.

Like I said in the other thread, that gives them the chance to show abandoned, run down villages and gather clues to what happened to Hyrule. No towns and very few NPCs makes sense for a ruined Hyrule. I'm just wondering what happened to the other key characters like Zelda and Impa.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This generation Nintendo is learning a lot of the lessons other publishers were forced to learn last generation~!

Nah, they are just developing the game they have in mind without having to check some boxes. Something being not in the game doesnt mean they couldn't realize it. Its just not a essential part of the gamedesign/story.

So this is basically a huge field with dungeons and a few NPC's scattered around... Hope there are lots of creatures and animals, if not we'll have "skyrim: no towns edition".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom