• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom Announced | Nintendo Direct

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Looks ace. If you're bothered by Zelda being the protagonist of the game you've got legitimate brain damage.

Can see how the conjuring gameplay won't land with everyone but it's neat that they took the "wisdom" part of her character and made her practically a mage.

Also, using the creation tools in TotK was about 30x more interesting than "press B to sword", so maybe give it a chance.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So they're reusing the LA remake engine (and probably a lot of assets) to quickly get another one out. That's fine, I love how that game looks. Still not sure about the gameplay of this one, but we'll see.

Garnox

Looks fun and a different way to play the game through alternative game mechanics. Nintendo has done well not pandering, so I don't see this as a pander like some are feeling.

As someone who has two young daughters, my 6yo is excited to play this together.

It's ok to have different types of games from franchises. Especially when it's more of a filler title in between console releases. Don't fret guys and gals, they'll release a another big Zelda flagship title that is more familiar with what you're used to soon enough.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The only disappointment i got from this was that its not a remake of the oracle games, otherwise im intrigued

I think my heart stopped for a few seconds when it first started.

lavZuex.png

It's a shame, but I'll take a new game over it any day.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
ikr? I'm glad to see some people who realize the potential here. Also, gotta say, it baffles me to read comments claiming "wokeness" and "queer" any time you have a female protagonist regardless of the situation or context.
Are people seriously thinking this is “woke”? God that word has no fucking meaning anymore….this culture war BS is getting beyond stupid.

Stratostar

No way I could sit through this game. Looks unbelievably ho-hum. The Lego art style is the cherry on top. Hard pass.

Zelda having to practically be wearing a hijab so that she can go out.

Not in great taste.
It makes sense that she would need to be somewhat incognito to get around without harassment if she's the Princess of the Kingdom or whatnot. Though Link was wearing the same thing so I assume it's more of a stylistic choice than a logical one.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I like how they made the game revolve around she being the wisdom holder, so it's not just a"Ms pacman" of link.

I will hold judgement till release though. Also, I feel like I already saw this subtitle years ago on a fan made image, am I crazy?

At this point they probably said “fuck it, 4k launch ports for the switch 2”
Lets hope. There's been a rumor that they have been sitting on them for quite awhile. I can't think of any other reason you would want to wait. You'd think they would be no brainers for what is the end of life for Switch.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Never once did I ever want Nintendo wasting resources to take a side character, no matter how important and make that person a hero of a game.
Well Mario himself was technically a side character in his first appearance and since then Captain Toad, Luigi’s Mansion, Yoshi etc have proved that they know what they’re doing.

Codes 208

Gold Member
Lets hope. There's been a rumor that they have been sitting on them for quite awhile. I can't think of any other reason you would want to wait. You'd think they would be no brainers for what is the end of life for Switch.
They treat their mainline zelda games like mario, they probably want to wait for the S2 to:
A) maximize possible sales of the game
B) bring in more people to the new system

RCU005

The gameplay is just TOTK modified. Sadly, they used Link's Awakening's art style, but they did it to make it fast and cheaper.

So people wanting to have Zelda as protagonist got their wish. Too bad it's not what anyone was thinking about.

Let's see if people will like the gameplay and combat, since they liked that you could do "anything" in TOTK, and this is just a modified version of it.

PeteBull

Are people seriously thinking this is “woke”? God that word has no fucking meaning anymore….this culture war BS is getting beyond stupid.
I hate woke culture and pushing it everywhere possible, this game or at least trailer/what we saw , got nothing of the wokeness, its sane/solid/logical and fun is put on the front seat, not DEI, so 0 complains here, hopefully game gonna be a hit :D

Aldric

It would have been so boring if it was an exact copy of a Zelda game, just gender-swapped. I'm glad they went this route as it mixes things up.
It's also not how Nintendo think of games, so it's baffling that so many idiots genuinely believed they'd just have Zelda wearing Link's skinsuit and being the badass ladyboss that can do everything the man does even better!!!

Nintendo aren't political activists and they're not going to get rid of one of their most popular and iconic characters in Link, the way they create videogames is by following the idea that "form follows function", this means that they thought of new gameplay based more on strategy and puzzle solving, decided Zelda would be a good fit for it due to her association with the triforce of wisdom and made this game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hate woke culture and pushing it everywhere possible, this game or at least trailer/what we saw , got nothing of the wokeness, its sane/solid/logical and fun is put on the front seat, not DEI, so 0 complains here, hopefully game gonna be a hit :D
Most people do but I also equally getting sick of people calling EVERY little thing “woke”…it getting ridiculous and downright stupid.

Last edited:

reektann

I hope you still get to hit stuff with something - i really like chopping grass and stuff for rupees, plus it just feels theraputic to do it. If I have to "summon" a thing each time do it then I might be stern.

Jinzo Prime

Arlo hard guessed a top down Zelda game as the Switch swan song:

He self admits to be bad at guessing Nintendo, so it's nice to see him get a win.

How do we still not have Wind Waker and Twilight Princess ports?!?!
I think Twilight Princess needs a remake, hopefully that's why they aren't releasing it.

Majukun

the premise is fun but they will need to bring their AAA design team to avoid all the usual issues with this kind of "open" formula

Top Bottom