• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom Announced | Nintendo Direct

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
VM7tSVV.jpeg

Same, they use more creative way make Zelda's gameplay more fun and interesting instead of just be copy of Link.....What wrong with that?
I agree. The ability to create objects out of thin air is unique. Lots of fun opportunities to use that with. No two playthroughs will be the same.

Also being able to use enemies to fight for you sounds fun.

Its different than traditional Zelda and im happy for that.

Rran

This looks like a good time and bonus if it's ticking off ResetEra posters. But if they're really using the ALttP map again I'm gonna have to break a chair on someone myself.

Last edited:

Celine

If someone had told me 18 years ago while I was playing Twilight Princess that we`d get a Zelda game looking like...this in 2024-2025 I´d just have shook my head.
And people seem to like it?
Why? Nintendo has never ceased to develop top down Zelda games.
In fact a few months after the release of Twilight Princess on GC/WII Phantom Hourglass was launched for NDS.

Top down Zelda games have their place, just like Super Mario Bros. games have.
Why would Nintendo restrict the offer only because 3D Zelda and 3D Mario? That would be dumb.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

my positive unfounded takeaway from this is that they are using the "make your own fun instead of us making a fun game" formula for this, so potentially the next big proper mainline Zelda game might move away from the Minecraft garbage and actually focus on being puzzle/dungeon oriented.

At least that is what I want to hope... at least release those WW/TP remasters if not then Nintendo.

Robb

Gold Member
my positive unfounded takeaway from this is that they are using the "make your own fun instead of us making a fun game" formula for this, so potentially the next big proper mainline Zelda game might move away from the Minecraft garbage and actually focus on being puzzle/dungeon oriented.

At least that is what I want to hope... at least release those WW/TP remasters if not then Nintendo.
Interesting, I was thinking the exact opposite. I was hoping they might keep the 2D games a lot more traditional.

To me this just felt like the final nail in the coffin for the old school formula and now both the 2D and 3D games will move towards the BotW/TotK style instead.

Last edited:

Celine

The previous new top down Zelda, A Link between Worlds, (re-)introduced the faculty to tackle dungeons out of order before BotW.
Nintendo was already experimentating with 2D Zelda.
Said that the feel of ALBW is quite different from BotW.
So one (2D Zelda/3D Zelda) might influence another (2D Zelda/3D Zelda) but the feel will always be quite different.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
If the endboss fight doesn't involve to duplicate the entirety of Hyrule, I am gonna be disappointed.

Or maybe she can duplicate Link a couple of times. Get a reverse harem going.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Game looks awesome! And it seems to use ALTTP world. Maybe there is a hidden version of alto remake!? lol or n my maybe future DLC ? They would be cool.

Plus I again absolutely I can't dress how much I love the art style here.

Power Pro

day 1

Don't get the hate. It looks great.
I'm gonna get it day one also, cuz I'm sure it'll be fun, but I'm not thrilled that they're using that Link's Awakening art style again. I wasn't a fan of it then, and I'm not now.

I just hate the simplicity of it all. Give me Wind Waker's art style if they want to differentiate it from the big Zelda titles. I remember thinking the animated cutscene looked gorgeous in Link's Awakening, and then we see the game, and it looks so...meh.

Hudo

Gold Member
I'm gonna get it day one also, cuz I'm sure it'll be fun, but I'm not thrilled that they're using that Link's Awakening art style again. I wasn't a fan of it then, and I'm not now.

I just hate the simplicity of it all. Give me Wind Waker's art style if they want to differentiate it from the big Zelda titles. I remember thinking the animated cutscene looked gorgeous in Link's Awakening, and then we see the game, and it looks so...meh.
I personally would've preferred if they'd used the Wind Waker style instead.

GreenAlien

The first Zelda game I have zero interest in. Well, apart from the multiplayer ones.

They should have given it proper 3d graphics and dressed her sexily. Nintendos Stellar Blade.

I wonder how well it will sell.

SaintALia

Not a joke. Zelda is not the main character, Link is. Zelda rarely even shows in any of the games except for key scenes. She is a major support character in every way.

Anyways, she’s a main character in this game.

I don’t run a video game business so what do I know but I would wager a remake of Oracle of Ages or Seasons would have performed better than this will. This is what we got though so yay!
I'd argue she is the main character. She doesn't need to show up in every game, but she is a core part of the series, so she cannot be relegated to 'supporting cast'. I still consider Link as the Player Character, not necessarily as the 'main character'(see my comment on non-customisable player avatar). But that's just semantics really, at the end of the day, both are 'main characters'. I have no idea how you can argue for Zelda in The Legend of Zelda franchise to be a supporting character though, unless you argue that she literally supports you in the games. She is usually quite integral to most plotlines in a Zelda games, as she is the bearer of the Triforce, and is usually a central figure in the goings on of Hyrule in general. You can argue she isn't the main focus sometimes, or that you control Link, thus any character you directly control is the 'main character'. But if that's not your approach, both are 'main characters'(as is Ganon).

Synless

I'd argue she is the main character. She doesn't need to show up in every game, but she is a core part of the series, so she cannot be relegated to 'supporting cast'. I still consider Link as the Player Character, not necessarily as the 'main character'(see my comment on non-customisable player avatar). But that's just semantics really, at the end of the day, both are 'main characters'. I have no idea how you can argue for Zelda in The Legend of Zelda franchise to be a supporting character though, unless you argue that she literally supports you in the games. She is usually quite integral to most plotlines in a Zelda games, as she is the bearer of the Triforce, and is usually a central figure in the goings on of Hyrule in general. You can argue she isn't the main focus sometimes, or that you control Link, thus any character you directly control is the 'main character'. But if that's not your approach, both are 'main characters'(as is Ganon).
No, she isn’t. This isn’t debatable. your definition of main character is wrong.
6421WtQ.png
pKTPs5c.png

Krathoon

Zelda was a pretty relevant character in Spirit Tracks, Wind Waker, OoT, and the Breath of the Wild games.

So, it is high time she had her own game.

I like that they are doing this classic Zelda approach to it.

Krathoon

People tend to forget that Zelda has alter egos like Shiek and Tetra.

A game where she transforms herself into different characters would have been a good idea, but it may be too much like Majora's Mask.

Last edited:

Synless

The accuracy and truth of Chat GPT is unparalleled and unquestionable, this is true.
Dude, Google it as well. It’s the same thing there. What defines main character and support is pretty well defined in video games. But please, dont do any looking on your end, just make comments and expect me to do it.

Its irrelevant at this point now, she is a main character in her own game this fall.

SaintALia

People tend to forget that Zelda has alter egos like Shiek and Tetra.

A game where she transforms herself into different characters would have been a good idea, but it may be too much like Majora's Mask.
Back in the day I remember a lot of people were hoping for a Shiek game. I think primarily because of Smash Melee and Hyrule Warriors fanned the flames.

That doesn't seem like something Nintendo would go for though, unless it was farmed out to a second or third party. Well, if it was action based.

Synless

Back in the day I remember a lot of people were hoping for a Shiek game. I think primarily because of Smash Melee and Hyrule Warriors fanned the flames.

That doesn't seem like something Nintendo would go for though, unless it was farmed out to a second or third party. Well, if it was action based.
This would have been great to see. Princess Peach looks to have gotten more action gameplay then what we are seeing here from and action adventure series.

SaintALia

This would have been great to see. Princess Peach looks to have gotten more action gameplay then what we are seeing here from and action adventure series.
Team Ninja could have easily done it. But I don't know if Nintendo would have allowed it, or specifically, Miyamoto. He'd have wanted something more out of a Zelda spinoff than a straight forward action game. But who knows....I would have played the hell out of a Team Ninja Zelda action game though...

Trilobit

Gold Member
This looks great, very different than your typical 2D Zelda game. Also unsure about the combat, but maybe the combat will be less of a focus and more so on puzzles. I love that Nintendo is doing stuff like this though, hope it's great and succeeds.

I think it's funny that some here are whining that they didn't get Oracle of Seasons instead, but then there were also many who complained about the Nintendo Direct having too many remakes. I think it's great that we get something new and interesting from Nintendo, even on the Switch's ending.

The gameplay looks fun and creative.
But I'm really disappointed they've stuck with the boring art style of link's awakening

I wish we could get something that looks more like paintings of pixelart rather than this 3D clay thingy. Artist Orioto had wonderful art that made me dream about the possibilities.
wallhaven-4o2wl0.jpg

This scratches my 2d Zelda itch. Always wanted Nintendo to be working on both 3d and 2d based Zelda, also for Metroid and Mario series.

This is exactly what I've wanted Nintendo to so since they first launched the Switch. As they consolidated their console and portable divisions into one I hoped that we'd get both BotW scale console games and simpler 2D games when you're on the run and don't have time to sit an hour with a game.

Top Bottom