• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

The Lego stores in So Cal are carrying all the new Batman sets, The new Marvel sets and all the new Hobbit sets. Picked up the daily bugle for our son today. He was excited! Looks like a very cool set now which on the packaging looked very boring honestly. The Nova and Dr Doom mini figures are really nice looking and one of a kind. Especially Novas helmet and Dooms cowl. The building is cool but nothing extraordinary. We haven't built the vehicle yet.
Doooooooom! Can't wait to snag that set just for Doom.

Came to post my Chrimbus present from my wife.

The LEGO 4x4 Crawler

61aOBcUBh5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here are pictures of it after I finished it. I did not apply the decal stickers because I like the plain look better. I apologize in advance that they are so blurry, I was on my phone and didn't take my time with the photos.

yn9a7.jpg

Bottom
apjFy.jpg

Hood up
riDgw.jpg

It was a blast to put together. I would say my biggest disappointment is that it's actually really slow. I wish it was faster. Other than that it's awesome. Sometimes the differential lets the wheels slip a bit too much and I wish for an option to convert it to locked 4WD easily, but that is a minor gripe. The best feature by far is the suspension. You can drive over things 3-4 inches easily, and still get a good grip with all of the tires. It will even climb a pretty damn good incline, probably 45 degrees.

I am also starting to understand why they switched from the traditional stud technic blocks to the new technic style. They want the rivet/bolts to hold it all together to make it more similar to how things are really constructed I think. There much be 200 bolt things (no idea what the proper name is) in that thing. I think it was 1327 pieces. Took me a long time to put together, probably six to eight hours. Still phenomenally cool.

So i just figured whenever i have doubles of figures... I STILL can't sell them or gift them because then that would mean that my set would be incomplete if i ever were to sell it (which i probably won't anyway) or just for collector's value ugh what a pain as i am probably gonna have doubles very soon if i do decide to get Jabba's Palace AND the Sail Barge later on :(

relaxor

what?
Good grief is that plane mold so ugly, I wince everytime I see it. I just want my old plane look back Lego, it's all I ask!

^shudder

Those old airport sets were so cool! I know all the effort goes into designing the licensed or AFOL stuff, but I think the City series needs a boost too. It would make the Lego world a happier place if there was a really clever brick built airliner, or cargo plane as it were.

I know I have both! my preciouses!

I'm so jealous! Did you get em on sale? What's the best place to look for sales? I've been eyeing this one set on Amazon that is pretty cheap because the box is damaged... not sure if it's safe to go for it.

Don't stop. You need the entire Fellowship as well. Then you can start on the Hobbit as well...

I shall never stop! Ahhh, I'm getting broke. My gf for some reason is helping by buying me sets... she's enjoying seeing this obsession take hold. Evil!

Or, the Mines of Moria!!

My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome!

You know: Roaring fires! Malt beer! Ripe meat off the bone!

:D I want that one too! AHHH

Christmas time is over, and I ended up happy. Scored a nice set featuring the random bag above.

Went up north to visit my folks in the country. Helped one nephew put together the Gungan Sub...other nephew refused to open the Malevolence until he'd memorized every aspect of the box. Very cute.

Another nephew received the Death Star for Christmas. Luckiest 6 year old alive.

Neither of my daughters received LEGO for Christmas. We did get an Easy Bake Oven though. That's just as good....right?

Edit:

AWESOME! I saw this set ifor the first time in a display window at the LEGO store last night (the shelves were bare btw). It's an awesome looking build. I couldn't believe how many minifigures came with it. For a licensed set it hits a pretty decent price point ($200 CDN) for the number of pieces and figs.

Came to post my Chrimbus present from my wife.

The LEGO 4x4 Crawler

61aOBcUBh5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here are pictures of it after I finished it. I did not apply the decal stickers because I like the plain look better. I apologize in advance that they are so blurry, I was on my phone and didn't take my time with the photos.

It was a blast to put together. I would say my biggest disappointment is that it's actually really slow. I wish it was faster. Other than that it's awesome. Sometimes the differential lets the wheels slip a bit too much and I wish for an option to convert it to locked 4WD easily, but that is a minor gripe. The best feature by far is the suspension. You can drive over things 3-4 inches easily, and still get a good grip with all of the tires. It will even climb a pretty damn good incline, probably 45 degrees.

I am also starting to understand why they switched from the traditional stud technic blocks to the new technic style. They want the rivet/bolts to hold it all together to make it more similar to how things are really constructed I think. There much be 200 bolt things (no idea what the proper name is) in that thing. I think it was 1327 pieces. Took me a long time to put together, probably six to eight hours. Still phenomenally cool.

Great set! I've always had a weak spot for intricate fully functional suspensions.

^shudder

Those old airport sets were so cool! I know all the effort goes into designing the licensed or AFOL stuff, but I think the City series needs a boost too. It would make the Lego world a happier place if there was a really clever brick built airliner, or cargo plane as it were.

They are using all their creative talent for the Friends sets.

I feel like I missed a huge sale at my local Meijer. Went in last night to check out their Lego section, which is usually quite large, and it was almost completely empty. All they had was a couple small City sets, a couple Hobbit sets and a ton of the Halo MegaBlocks sets.

Milchjon

z_10232_palace_cinema_buy.jpg

Welp, looks like I am buying my first modular. I can not resist it. It will be mine...

....Sooooo I am getting rid of a bunch of my minifigures. I thought I would post it them here before I went to eBay and Craigslist. I have figures from series 3, 5, 6, 7, & 8, plus an additional complete set of series 8. I also have Marvel and DC minifigs, as well as older Star Wars minifigs including Jabba, Jango, young Bobafett, and Greedo.

Awesome :-O

Aww yeeaahh . . .

F27CB15E-743E-4CFF-8483-386D4F04FA9B-1371-000000B9D81B2194-1.jpg

Now to find time to build it. *sigh*

Awesome.

I really want both of those. But I have this strange mindset that I feel weird about buying LEGO. Like it's a guilty pleasure.

I was so hoping for my friends to have a little boy so I could gift him LEGO :-D Well, now that I'm the Godfather of a little girl, I still might go ahead and try to get her into LEGO.

Of course it's a guilty pleasure, you're buying stuff you don't NEED but just want it really bad and that money could/should be better spent on more reasonable things, so unless you're filthy fuckin rich you better feel guilty!!! :p

That said, i noticed for me it's JUST like video games, the good thing is, at least i am spending almost NOTHING on games ever since i discovered Lego a couple weeks back LOL...

Sadly though... Lego sets are a LOT more expensive and the costs add up MUCH quicker than with games :(

Sadly though... Lego sets are a LOT more expensive and the costs add up MUCH quicker than with games :(

...but the sets hold their value far, far better, and in many cases they will actually appreciate in value. It's a higher initial investment, but should you choose to sell later you're going to make most, if not all, of your money back - and that's something you really can't say about games, unless you're buying boxed 8/16-bit-era rarities or something similar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any guesses on price for the modular? Looks normal sized so more like pet shop than town hall? And ideas on release date?

I have £50 in VIP points so I might cash those in on AFOL day on horizon express or hang on for the cinema.

...but the sets hold their value far, far better, and in many cases they will actually appreciate in value. It's a higher initial investment, but should you choose to sell later you're going to make most, if not all, of your money back - and that's something you really can't say about games, unless you're buying boxed 8/16-bit-era rarities or something similar.

Good point! That's something at least ;)

Now, back to the addiction: I just took a second look at the Monster Fighters series which i had already dismissed as too gimmicky and too much aimed at kids for my tastes but NOW i suddenly feel that some of these sets might be worth a second look!

Especially Vampyre Castle and the Ghost Train look great to me, any opinions on these? Also: what about that glow in the dark effect on ghosts and certain pieces? Does that "wear off" over the years or not?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel like I missed a huge sale at my local Meijer. Went in last night to check out their Lego section, which is usually quite large, and it was almost completely empty. All they had was a couple small City sets, a couple Hobbit sets and a ton of the Halo MegaBlocks sets.

I've known some stores to put Lego in the back during the sales period just to avoid knocking the prices down because people become expectant.

I've known some stores to put Lego in the back during the sales period just to avoid knocking the prices down because people become expectant.

I can almost see that being the case in this situation. I chose to check out this store because they have always had the best selection and prices in my area. Just a week or two before christmas they easily had an entire isle(both sides) full of LEGO's and this time they only had maybe a little more than half of one side of an isle.

Hoping someone here who has built a SSD can help me out here. What is the width of the model at its widest point near the back?

I'd planned to put mine up on a to-be-installed shelf but the thought occurs to me that the shelf might not actually be wide enough to actually hold the SSD.
Anybody?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Right at 13.5", if I measured correctly.

I just got finished building that beast, and it's easily the most fun build I've done so far. Just incredible how things all went together in the end, especially the engine modules.

In other news: Is anyone else picking up the Horizon Express Train? I can't wait!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got the UK Lego catalogue today. Only points of interest are a free Chima model with orders of £50 or more and the voucher is £5 off orders £50 or more.

Also Arkham is expensive and Arctic Batman looks funky.

Thanks guys. Still not entirely sure I'll be able to use the shelf then as it's only 10 or so inches deep.

It will just have to hang a bit over the edge. The stands for the ship should still fit comfortably on the shelf.

That is what I am telling myself as I sit here and impatiently wait for FedEx to deliver my SSD today.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thanks guys. Still not entirely sure I'll be able to use the shelf then as it's only 10 or so inches deep.

It will just have to hang a bit over the edge. The stands for the ship should still fit comfortably on the shelf.

That is what I am telling myself as I sit here and impatiently wait for FedEx to deliver my SSD today.

Yeah, it's be about 10" From one side, to the edge of the stand, so you should be fine.

Let's try this again:

Should i get the Ghost train and the Vampyre Hearse OR the Vampyre Castle to get a good representation of the entire Monster Fighters theme?

(pro tip: don't say "all of them")

Let's try this again:

Should i get the Ghost train and the Vampyre Hearse OR the Vampyre Castle to get a good representation of the entire Monster Fighters theme?

The castle is easily the most "fun" set we bought this year. It has a ton of great features and a good selection of figures.

Let's try this again:

The figures in the Hearse and Ghost Train are easily gotten in other sets. Ghosts from polybags or Haunted House, and the Monster Fighters themselves are in other sets, including some smaller ones.

Vampyre Castle is a more well regarded set in general compared to the others, and you get some exclusive figures in that one as well. At least in color variants you cant get through other means.

Got the UK Lego catalogue today. Only points of interest are a free Chima model with orders of £50 or more and the voucher is £5 off orders £50 or more.

Also Arkham is expensive and Arctic Batman looks funky.

Just got mine also and I am relieved there's not too much I need to buy. To buy so far;

42007 Moto Cross Bike
75001 Republic Troopers vs. Sith Troopers
75013 Umbaran MHC (Mobile Heavy Cannon)

Not into LOTR/Hobbit or Chima......

Where's Galaxy Squad though?

As others have said that should be fine. My window shelf/ledge is not much more and it's been there happy as you like for a few months.

Hope it arrived, even though I don't swosh the SSD it's still the most fun I have had with an official build. Note; I did swosh it a few times after building but that will tire you out!

Just been to Westfield Stratford LEGO store and walked out without a thing, wanted lights but there were all out and nothing else I don't already have that I want. Mad busy too.

I dont plan to swoosh the SSD once completed. I plan to have it ominously, and slowly fly through my apartment to instill fear into lesser ships as I blast the Imperial March.

I dont plan to swoosh the SSD once completed. I plan to have it ominously, and slowly fly through my apartment to instill fear into lesser ships as I blast the Imperial March.
I've got my home theater in my new place all setup. My Imperial Shuttle has it's spot on the subwoofer, my X-Wing and Y-Wing are going to be on the front media center bookending the center channel(once I find the darn things in all the still packed boxes) and one shelf will be for the SSD and I'm thinking I'll have one more for an eventual Tie Fighter and probably Tie Interceptor.

My plan is to have my 9 year old nephew and my 3 year old help me build it as we watch the original trilogy on the big screen. Can't wait!

The figures in the Hearse and Ghost Train are easily gotten in other sets. Ghosts from polybags or Haunted House, and the Monster Fighters themselves are in other sets, including some smaller ones.

Vampyre Castle is a more well regarded set in general compared to the others, and you get some exclusive figures in that one as well. At least in color variants you cant get through other means.

Right... You don't get the zombie driver though in Castle plus that Hearse looks pretty damn sexy as a unique vehicle to me hmm i just can't swing the hearse AND the castle though damnit!! :(

woodypop

Right... You don't get the zombie driver though in Castle plus that Hearse looks pretty damn sexy as a unique vehicle to me hmm i just can't swing the hearse AND the castle though damnit!! :(
I gotta cast my vote for the Vampyre Castle. I like how it displays, and the details are pretty good. It also includes both a structure and a vehicle, as opposed to just getting vehicles in the Train and Hearse sets.

Maybe you should watch some video reviews on youtube before making you final decision. But I'd get the Castle. ;)

Zombie chauffer came with the zombie car polybag, the Zombies set, and the Zombie coffin car polybag.

Of course, those are all difficult to find now. :(

I gotta cast my vote for the Vampyre Castle. I like how it displays, and the details are pretty good. It also includes both a structure and a vehicle, as opposed to just getting vehicles in the Train and Hearse sets.

Maybe you should watch some video reviews on youtube before making you final decision. But I'd get the Castle. ;)

lol this is me asking you guys AFTER already watching youtube reviews of all those sets, but then i'm notorious for not being able to make up my mind so...

Here's a different question then: As far as Castle type sets go, Arkham Asylum OR Vampyre castle? I know they are different themes and price points but still hmmm i feel i can only get one of these to display because of a lack of space.

neonglow

lol this is me asking you guys AFTER already watching youtube reviews of all those sets, but then i'm notorious for not being able to make up my mind so...

Here's a different question then: As far as Castle type sets go, Arkham Asylum OR Vampyre castle? I know they are different themes and price points but still hmmm i feel i can only get one of these to display because of a lack of space.

Go with the Vampyre for now. Arkham isn't really a castle..it's just a front facade.

Vampyre Castle will go away sooner than Arkham. In fact, it is getting harder to find Vampyre Castle outside of LEGO stores. Arkham you have tons of time on.

You could get Vampyre Castle and the Vampyre Hearse for less than Arkham. Hell, if you are looking at Arkham's price point, just go all out and get Haunted House (the true king of Monster Fighters sets).

Go with the Vampyre for now. Arkham isn't really a castle..it's just a front facade.

Technically, so is the castle.

Vampyre Castle will go away sooner than Arkham. In fact, it is getting harder to find Vampyre Castle outside of LEGO stores. Arkham you have tons of time on.

You could get Vampyre Castle and the Vampyre Hearse for less than Arkham. Hell, if you are looking at Arkham's price point, just go all out and get Haunted House (the true king of Monster Fighters sets).

Technically, so is the castle.

Eh you're probably right, i might grab both and forget about AA! As for the Haunted House, i actually prefer the design of the castle over that.

Castle+Hearse= Win-Win situation (well my wallet still loses but that's another matter...)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Chima actually looked pretty good in the new catalogue. The eagles especially looked smart, and not badly priced

If the cinema isn't until march I might use the £5 off plus my £50 VIP to get horizon express for £24, then just pick up the cinema at the next offer (2x points, AFOL day, whatever)

Eh you're probably right, i might grab both and forget about AA! As for the Haunted House, i actually prefer the design of the castle over that.

Castle+Hearse= Win-Win situation (well my wallet still loses but that's another matter...)

Don't discount the Haunted House just yet. Once completed, it is magnificent. I would probably say that is my #1 set for 2012. Ignore the bag 1 crappiness, the rest is sublime.

ruxtpin

Banned
Don't discount the Haunted House just yet. Once completed, it is magnificent. I would probably say that is my #1 set for 2012. Ignore the bag 1 crappiness, the rest is sublime.

I second this. I was trying to think of the best 2012 set I picked up; I'd have to go with the Haunted House. Looks great next to my modulars. I just tell folks that's the part of town the Lego mayor let go downhill.

woodypop

Y'know, I'm actually with you on that. The Haunted House is impressive, but I think the Castle is more interesting to look at and has loads of playability/features (and includes a vehicle!).

I do agree with ruxtpin about Haunted House fitting in with the modulars.

Ugh... My Arkham Asylum set just changed from "Out For Delivery" to "Delivery Exception" on FedEx's website and I'm too busy at work to check what's up. :[

I can't explain how but the Castle was one of the most fun builds I've had in years. Just full of creativity and character...I wish they had more add-ons for it to make it more extravagant.

So yes, another vote for the Castle.

Top Bottom