• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lethal League |OT| Windjammers X Smash Bros X Tron X Jet Set Radio

This is why we Lethal League - Mike Rose

ghGEW7G.gif

OMG the feel of this game! Double play
1178528385900yg3.gif

Yup, playing this ASAP when relatives or friends are around. Might main Sonata, in the red.

Yoooo, I've been playing this with a friend and this just might end up in my top 3 GOTY list. One of the best games I've played ever. I actually start sweating like a madman during certain rounds, it just gets so insanely tense and requires crazy precision and prediction skills to the point where you literally cannot afford to blink.

I'm going to start playing a bunch of Sonata because I feel like she's my worst character.

Also get hype for the next character, a shades-wearing, ping pong paddle-wielding badass.

futurecharacter7uscf.png

I got to play a demo build of this about a few months back and I had a ton of fun with it.

And I am not a huge fan of these types of games. Definitely a great local multiplayer game.

Volcynika

Hopefully I can get a lot of good multi over the weekend. Cleaned up most of the achievements outside of maxing my level and playing 1000 matches. Woo!

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
This looks like a ton of fun but just can't play on PC. :(
Why not? If it's a control issue just use a console controller. I use a PS3 controller with xinput wrapper (so it's recognized as a 360 controller) plugged in through USB.

I like 4 player free for all the most so far. It's fun to be one of the two left standing each round. People do really dumb stuff they wouldn't normally do in 1v1 too, love tricking people into getting hit on my first swing. :p

The game definitely has some online issues though, especially when searching for free for all. Errors/timeouts (usually before getting into a match), and desyncs abound (during a rematch sometimes). Only search for 1v1 for a more stable experience.

Online, getting false positives from the audio is annoying. Like when my opponents character makes a death noise (because lag compensation thinks they got hit) but they returned the ball. At least a quarter of my deaths are from that. Maybe if there was an option to turn off death audio, though it would be less satisfying. Or maybe delay it so the noise would only play when they're for sure dead.

I have a similar issue with special bar/special move noise. With Candyman for instance, after 4 hits his bar is filled and he says "haha look out" or whatever and continues to say it for each subsequent hit to let you know his bar is full. But he also says the same thing when using the special, so the audio is tricking me into thinking he has/hasn't used it. I think filling the bar and using the move should have different noises. edit: I played more last night. In the same scenario of Candyman hitting the ball a lot the noise was not made. I distinctly remember it happening before when the special wasn't used, maybe a glitch? Anyway, what I said here doesn't seem to be correct.

So pretty much, if I were to turn off voices/sound effects I would probably play better. I love all of the personality Reptile put into the audio, I'd rather not turn it off.

The game is super fun despite these thing! Buy it so I have more opponents online. :)

Mechazawa

Lots of bunting right in their face. Parrying would shut that down completely :p

In both of those fights, I was actually trying to bunt the split second that the ball left their "bat" to negate that.

Although, the fact that neither guy parried much gave me a lot of room for error.

superbank

So wait, how does the parry mechanic work? The way you guys are talking about it it sounds like it's an active thing you can do while while hitting the ball. The best I could figure, parries happen when the interceptor mis-spaces and/or mis-times their swing resulting in them getting parried, or two players swinging within range of each other.

In the last exchange of the first video your opponent gets parried, did you have to do something to parry him?

On a similar note, from what I've observed online there is host advantage in the beginning toss up. If both players swing for the ball right when it activates the hosts hit will always win out. edit: Played some more. This might not be true.

bronson

In the last exchange of the first video your opponent gets parried, did you have to do something to parry him?
If you're "charging up" the ball for a big hit, you can press the bunt button to let out a little shockwave that will parry opponents if you use it at the moment of their swing. It costs meter, and you can only use it once per "charge-up," but it can be really effective.

Source: I have parried/dunked Mecha on multiple occasions

superbank

If you're "charging up" the ball for a big hit, you can press the bunt button to let out a little shockwave that will parry opponents if you use it at the moment of their swing. It costs meter, and you can only use it once per "charge-up," but it can be really effective.

Awesome, thanks. I'm gonna try this out. :) Thinking about it I never parried anyone but my tougher opponents would do it to me. I just thought I was jumping/swinging poorly.

Parries should be added to the tutorial.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
When doing a standard swing press the bunt button before the ball comes off the bat. You'll see a blue circle flash. If ahh opponent swings into the blue flash they will be knocked back. It completely changed the game when the ball gets to higher speeds. Without the parry it is too simple to time smash hits.

Zomba13

So yeah, bought this earlier. Was planning on waiting for a sale or something but really wanted to play it.

It's very fun and fast paced and tense but I'm not having much luck with online. Takes ages to connect to a game and only if I use the world wide setting.

Played 30 min with my mom and sister, gets intense really fast! That's the beauty of simple and chaotic games. Kid cousins coming over this evening, should be fun.

superbank

Yeah, it's bewildering that they didn't put parries in the tutorial. Such a crazy oversight. Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually patch it in.
Now it just feels unfair when my opponent doesn't know about it. I feel bad now.
But I still do it.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Anyone playing tonight? My friend and I are looking to play teams against some people. Or just play a multiplayer game free for all. Steam id is Lathentar.

Whoah, had no idea about this. Why wasn't this communicated in the tutorial?!

NIN90

Far as I'm concerned, Switch and Candyman are the only viable characters. Only ones with dance moves.

clwkzj.gif
pusdpo.gif

Top Bottom