• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

Does Nintendo's more family-focused business have any bearing on their region locking? I always wondered if their great fear was to have something like Senran Kagura showing up in a "My innocent child bought this game for his Nintendo!" sensationalist news item.

That can easily be addressed by having access to out-of-region titles settable in parental controls.

People on Miiverse seem to think anyone who supports region free devices merely want to play niche, Japanese games.

On another note, I'm noticing the region free posts accumlating in the Nintendo E3 2013 Community.

Yeah. They're forgetting European titles and vice-versa. I would love to play the One Piece Unlimited 3DS games that were only released in Europe and Japan. Operation Rainfall comes to mind. Though to be honest I doubt such a situation could occur again you can never be sure.

Vinnk

Question for the technically minded:

Is this something Nintendo could easily "fix" if they had the desire to via a firmware update or is the hardware actually physically different? I am pretty sure there is no major component difference but is there some kind of chip that would need to be altered?

For example to play US games on a JPN Gamecube you needed to have a switch installed. A boot disc would work, but not 100%.

Is this campaign is mostly to change Nintendo's mind about future products or to have direct swift changes?

I can't think that a firmware update wouldn't be able to remove the lock, in my mind any modern region lock is entirely software based, but I'm not a tech guy.

I want to bring this up on my podcast soon, but don't want to look foolish if I am missing any information.

Is this something Nintendo could easily "fix" if they had the desire to via a firmware update or is the hardware actually physically different? I am pretty sure there is no major component difference but is there some kind of chip that would need to be altered?

The evidence suggests that it's either in firmware, or that they at least possess the capability to bypass it on a hardware level with future games.

On the 3DS side, the upcoming Pokémon X & Y games appear to be all region game cards, including all 7 languages in every copy of the game. So either there's already a hardcoded "all region" setting that game cards could already be manufactured with, or they're going to update the firmware to support it.

For Wii U, the Gamepad's region lock is apparently in the firmware. If so, this implies that the console itself is probably locked in the same way.

For example to play US games on a JPN Gamecube you needed to have a switch installed. A boot disc would work, but not 100%.

Is this campaign is mostly to change Nintendo's mind about future products or to have direct swift changes?

I can't think that a firmware update wouldn't be able to remove the lock, in my mind any modern region lock is entirely software based, but I'm not a tech guy.

I want to bring this up on my podcast soon, but don't want to look foolish if I am missing any information.
I'd be extremely surprised if there was a physical difference of a different region's 3DS or WiiU. I expect it's entirely determined by the firmware of the system.

Edit: Bulbagarden laying down the knowledge.

Vinnk

Thanks for the answers guys!

As for this:

Does Nintendo's more family-focused business have any bearing on their region locking? I always wondered if their great fear was to have something like Senran Kagura showing up in a "My innocent child bought this game for his Nintendo!" sensationalist news item.

Any kid who payed the outrageous import fees, waded through the incomprehensible language and bought the game in the first place after seeing the cover, is anything but innocent. And frankly after that much effort, let him have the boobs.

Yeah. They're forgetting European titles and vice-versa. I would love to play the One Piece Unlimited 3DS games that were only released in Europe and Japan. Operation Rainfall comes to mind. Though to be honest I doubt such a situation could occur again you can never be sure.

There was also a story posted on NeoGAF about a woman who bought a 3DS for her child while she was on vacation in Europe. I know instances like these don't happen every minute, but it shouldn't even be an issue for anyone. However, while it is important to speak against region locking, I implore you all to give equal attention to an account system.

Muku

However, while it is important to speak against region locking, I implore you all to give equal attention to an account system.

Most definitely. Fact we still lack an account system is mind boggling. Though with Nintendo it's going to feel like an uphill battle. Perhaps tackle one issue at a time? I support both though.

PKrockin

I would post about this on the Wii U GameFAQs board but all the posters on system boards are either trolls or completely insane.

Looks like the first Miiverse post in the OP has 500 Yeahs.

How can I support this movement?

UPDATE 6/19: NOW IS THE TIME!!!
On Facebook and Twitter, use hash tags #EndRegionLocking and #NintendoRegionFree, and follow @EndRegionLock.

Post on Nintendo's official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo

Tweet at:
@Nintendo
@NintendoAmerica
@NintendoEurope
@NintendoUK
@NintendoES

Write a letter! Snail-mail addresses...

Nintendo Co., Ltd.
11-1 Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba,
Minami-ku, Kyoto
Japan

Nintendo of America
4600 150th Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98052

Nintendo of Europe GmbH
Nintendo Center
D-63760 Grossostheim
Germany

Also be sure to mention that you'd like to see region-free systems on Club Nintendo surveys!

While localizations are wonderful and will always have their place, the value of consumer choice in determining what games to consume cannot be denied.

Thanks for your help.

For now, I've only done the Miiverse route, but once we can get our goals focused, I think Twitter is important as well. After all, that's how the Xbox DRM issue blew up.

Also, here is my Miiverse post. I forgot to post it.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAAYUKk9UyGjXw

Taker666

Region free would be nice but this is a waste of time to be honest .

With both Wii U and 3DS seemingly about to have modchips/ piracy devices released for them...Nintendo are not going to do something that would make it even easier for people to play pirated software from every region.

Rubius

Yessss. I need that black 3DS XL.
Meh the Blue is fine too.
4A9DaZg.gif

Region free would be nice but this is a waste of time to be honest .

With both Wii U and 3DS seemingly about to have modchips/ piracy devices released for them...Nintendo are not going to do something that would make it even easier for people to play pirated software from every region.

That is not going to happen.

People forget the Xbox One DRM debacle so quickly! Don't be a Debbie Downer.

EDarkness

Region free would be nice but this is a waste of time to be honest.

With both Wii U and 3DS seemingly about to have modchips/ piracy devces released for them...Nintendo are not going to do something that would make it even easier for people to play pirated software from every region.

The PS3 has been region free and the 360 has a lot of region free software out there. They're still selling a ton of games. Being region free isn't going to change this. It would allow people from all over to enjoy games and if they want to learn another language to play those games, then more power to 'em.

I've posted about this and even hit up Twitter (though, I don't know if I did it right). I'll spread the word as well. Maybe we can get Nintendo to budge considering the other consoles have opened up. A little good press wouldn't hurt them at all.

Vinnk

Yes! Cheese, while we're at it can we add that to the OP? A true account system should be a huge priority right now.

Here's my post to kickstart that: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAD4UV51vXJwGQ

I think this is very valid, but a bit of a separate issue. We can't make this topic a catch-all for "Nintendo policies we don't like" or we will loose focus.

But if someone launched a separate campaign, I would be happy to support it. I do however feel that a true account system is inevitable (its just a matter of how long it takes/how stubborn Nintendo can be) Region-freee on the other hand might never change without a big push from the customers.

I think this is very valid, but a bit of a separate issue. We can't make this topic a catch-all for "Nintendo policies we don't like" or we will loose focus.

But if someone launched a separate campaign, I would be happy to support it. I do however feel that a true account system is inevitable (its just a matter of how long it takes/how stubborn Nintendo can be) Region-freee on the other hand might never change without a big push from the customers.

Yes, I was concerned about diluting our message, but I do think we should tackle these two issues concurrently.

Taker666

The PS3 has been region free and the 360 has a lot of region free software out there. They're still selling a ton of games. Being region free isn't going to change this. It would allow people from all over to enjoy games and if they want to learn another language to play those games, then more power to 'em.

I've posted about this and even hit up Twitter (though, I don't know if I did it right). I'll spread the word as well. Maybe we can get Nintendo to budge considering the other consoles have opened up. A little good press wouldn't hurt them at all.

..but they won't fold on the issue so it'll simply create bad press..nothing more.

As I said with both their pieces of hardware about to face the cat and mouse game of modchips/piracy..

...Nintendo are not about to do something that'll make them even more vulnerable...if anything they'll be tightening security.

ABC

Banned
People forget the Xbox One DRM debacle so quickly! Don't be a Debbie Downer.

The Xbox is not made by Nintendo. No one in the gaming press cares about Nintendo or their fans, they will not cover this unless there is a MAJOR uproar in the whole gaming community, and there will be non. That is the sad truth, but keep up the work...maybe someday.

..but they won't fold on the issue so it'll simply create bad press..nothing more.

As I said with both their pieces of hardware about to face the cat and mouse game of modchips/piracy..

...Nintendo are not about to do something that'll make them even more vulnerable...if anything they'll be tightening security.

Pardon my ignorance, but is piracy really hindered by region locking?

The Xbox is not made by Nintendo. No one in the gaming press cares about Nintendo or their fans, they will not cover this unless there is a MAJOR uproar in the whole gaming community, and there will be non. That is the sad truth, but keep up the work...maybe someday.

I'm not quite as positive as Cheese, but this is a self-fulfilling prophecy (I probably used the wrong term). If you don't make a stand because you don't expect anyone else to be right there with you, then nobody would ever stand.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Region coding has essentially stopped me from buying new games for 3ds and Wii U. Living in a foreign country, not worth importing those games. I will still buy the occasional big game, but my support has been reduced as a result of these policies.

Jackano

Yeahed the hell out of the posts and tweeted too.
On Twitter can you add @NintendoFrance ?
I'm glad it's from Cheesemeister. Maybe there is a hope.

danielcw

Instead of hamering on Nintendo, you could also address the publishers to make their games "region free" (actually all region)

Is this something Nintendo could easily "fix" if they had the desire to via a firmware update or is the hardware actually physically different?

I have never seen a breakdown for the data structure on Wii U discs, but if it is anything like the Wii, publishers could create all region games all the time.
(on the Wii there would have been an issue with OS updates on disc though)

Vinnk

Region locking and Piracy Prevention are 2 different things. You can still have anti-piracy measures without region locks. (Vita is one example)

And I know many people who modded their hardware with the main intent to get around region locks and then succumbed to the lure of "free games"

And if this upcoming WiiU and 3DS piracy is as inevitable as you say, then it makes sense for Nintendo to at least get a bit of goodwill out of it. There are a lot of people would legally import a game they wanted to play from another country. A lot fewer would buy a second console to play it. One of these modchips will seem the cheaper option.

I bought 2 Wiis last generation (I live in Japan) and vowed that I wouldn't do it again, especially at how much the WiiU costs. If the WiiU was region free I would have bought several Japanese games already knowing that I can still get US games when I visit the US. As it stands I am waiting.

I have a Japanese 3DS and I barely use it. My Kanji skills are not enough to make me want to invest a lot of time, dictionary in hand, for a text-heavy RPGs. At the same time, I don't want to pay high import fees to get the English version of Mario Kart when I could easily enjoy the local one.

In the end I'll probably cave and buy a second 3DS... and Nintendo knows it. So yeah, this might be a lost cause, but it shouldn't be "piracy prevention" keeping it from happening.

Taker666

Region locking and Piracy Prevention are 2 different things. You can still have anti-piracy measures without region locks. (Vita is one example)

And I know many people who modded their hardware with the main intent to get around region locks and then succumbed to the lure of "free games"

And if this upcoming WiiU and 3DS piracy is as inevitable as you say, then it makes sense for Nintendo to at least get a bit of goodwill out of it. There are a lot of people would legally import a game they wanted to play from another country. A lot fewer would buy a second console to play it. One of these modchips will seem the cheaper option.

I bought 2 Wiis last generation (I live in Japan) and vowed that I wouldn't do it again, especially at how much the WiiU costs. If the WiiU was region free I would have bought several Japanese games already knowing that I can still get US games when I visit the US. As it stands I am waiting.

I have a Japanese 3DS and I barely use it. My Kanji skills are not enough to make me want to invest a lot of time, dictionary in hand, for a text-heavy RPGs. At the same time, I don't want to pay high import fees to get the English version of Mario Kart when I could easily enjoy the local one.

In the end I'll probably cave and buy a second 3DS... and Nintendo knows it. So yeah, this might be a lost cause, but it shouldn't be "piracy prevention" keeping it from happening.

Well piracy is the likely reason behind their handhelds getting a region lock in the first place.

Nintendo likely wouldn't budge anyway...but they sure as hell won't open the systems up now with what's coming. They'll be keeping every restriction they possibly can ..increasing them if anything.

Who at Nintendo interacts the most with fans over social media? I'd imagine Sakurai would be the easiest to persuade as he's a gamer through and through, but I can't think of any other developers that are as prolific.

gngf123

I've tried to do my bit to help out on Twitter.

Who at Nintendo interacts the most with fans over social media? I'd imagine Sakurai would be the easiest to persuade as he's a gamer through and through, but I can't think of any other developers that are as prolific.

Contacting individual developers probably isn't the way to go about it. You would want to contact the company themselves, or the higher ups with power if you can.

danielcw

Well piracy is the likely reason behind their handhelds getting a region lock in the first place.

What? No.
How does region locking help prevent piracy?

It directly affects piracy in the same way it affects legal game sales directly.

And as the Playstation 3 has shown, if a system mostly as all region games, and allows homebrew, then the smart people who help making piracy possible in the first place don't bother.

Nosgoroth

Yeah'd a bunch of posts and tweeted NCL, NoE, NoA, N UK, N ES, Bill Trinen (@trintran) and Sakurai (@Sora_Sakurai), all different tweets.

Who else can I tweet?

danielcw

It looks like 3DS game cards allow multiple-region or all-region games as well.

Talk to the publishers to make their games that way. It worked on the 360.
And maybe some 3DS games are already all region, and just nobody knows, because nobody bothered to check.

Arren

Fantastic campaign, which I'll be contributing to through both Twitter and Miiverse.

Given the recent proof on the relevance that our public complaints can have on corporate decisions, I would say this is the perfect moment to act and let our voice be heard.

Region-locking, just like PAL 50hz-only games, is an unfortunate relic that nobody in their sane mind would ever feel nostalgic about.

mjontrix

Can anyone make some jap statements for us to use? And which twitter accounts are linked to Nintendo Devs? I think we can do this - if Sony and Microsoft are removing region locks then Nintendo can certainly do it as well! Their gaming industry needs every bit of help it can get as is!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all abord this campaign! I'd like to see the end of the $=€=£ pricing strategy, and I'm tired of waiting for titles like SMT and dealing with crap like the 50hz version of Super Metroid etc

I've tried to do my bit to help out on Twitter.

Contacting individual developers probably isn't the way to go about it. You would want to contact the company themselves, or the higher ups with power if you can.
While I'm sure that's the case, there is no denying that Sakurai has significant pull behind the scenes.

Top Bottom