• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's take a moment to celebrate the golden age of Japanese design

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It turns out that GAF is so full of old people it may as well be the millennial image of a retirement home. Which is why I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers the day when Japanese companies not only ruled the consumer electronics industry, but utterly destroyed the competition in terms of design. At some point it was almost as if Japan was trying its damn best to emulate Masamune Shirow and Katsuhiro Otomo's visions of the future, only with less murder. From the early 80's to mid 90's, Japanese industrial design was second to none.

And it wasn't just TVs or the Walkman (not to mention oddities like the jaw dropping Sony PS-F5 portable vinyl player); while most of us were fawning over dull, beige boxes, Japanese consumers were already gaming on vastly superior computers that not only remain strikingly gorgeous even today, but they were also considerably more powerful than their Western counterparts. Let's take a look at the Sharp X1, for example.

tumblr_o3mnckAdMc1s7elebo1_1280.jpg
That's right. You are looking at a multimedia keyboard. On a computer released over three decades ago.

Coetaneous with the Commodore 64, it was released in 1982 and still looks like a million bucks, while packing some crazy features like the ability to superimpose graphics and text over TV images. The X1 turned out to be a massive success, and served as the basis for the better known X68000 range, a complete beast of a computer that remains sought after by collectors around the world.

So. Much. Eroge.

There's also the odd looking X1 Twin, which not only was a computer in the classic sense, but also a game console thanks to its PC-Engine compatibility. That one didn't stand the passage of time like the X1 or the X68000, but it has that old school "hi-tech" charm.

Then you had companies like Fujitsu, which made a mockery of most computers of the era with the FM Towns, which featured crazy innovative features like bootable CDs in 1989 and (just like the X68000) amassed a large amount of cult classics through its long life.

As for videogame consoles, I think the Neo Geo remains one of the most visually arresting machines of its era, but even humbler platforms like the Master System II and Sega's range of CD add-ons had some very unique, undeniable Japanese appeal. I personally think the Sega CD and the Sega Multimega still look damn fine.

And what is to be said about the visually arresting Sharp Twin Famicom, which coupled Nintendo's iconic 8 bit console with the then rather innovative Family Computer Disk System add-on? Not too shabby for 1986, right?

Then there's also that needs to be said about NEC, which released hot garbage like the CoreGrafx and the inexplicably hideous PC Engine SuperGrafx, but also gorgeous products like the TurboDuo and the PC-ified PC-FX, which remains one of my personal favourites despite being a total bomb.

The PC Engine Shuttle also deserves a mention because it was so goddamned bizarre.

And as ugly as the CoreGrafx was, the CD-ROM² add-on is a classic example of great Japanese design. Not only it looked insanely advanced, but it also doubled as a CD-ROM unit for the also rather unique PC-8801MC range of NEC computers. Wild stuff.

It is hard to explain how damn innovative this was at the time when DOS boxes were still struggling with the MPC standard. While we are all too familiar with Sega, Sony and Nintendo, there are times when I wonder what could have been of PC gaming if Japan had dared to look outside its borders.

I'm aware that this post is painfully incomplete without modern creations like the beautiful Sega Saturn and the iconic PlayStation, but I don't intend to create a complete repository of Japan's best and finest. This thread only pretends to celebrate the stunning design and innovation of Japanese companies during the 80's and 90's, so feel free to post your favourite products from that era if you think they are missing.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You know I've heard people say the original Famicom is "ugly", but screw those people, this thing is gorgeous and iconic.

640px-Nintendo-Famicom-Console-Set-FL.png

Box_JP_-_Super_Mario_All-Stars_Limited_Edition.png

I miss the 80s.

Yeah, late '70s/'80s/early '90s CE and computer stuff outta Japan was peak Japanese electronic design. It's like the days of their economy riding high and the subsequent fall into persistent recession by mid-'90s really took their toll on their product aesthetic. Everyone from Apple to Commodore seemed inspired by it, too.

GamerJM

Banned
I love the look of the CDX and PC Engine. I miss when platforms were this well visually designed and not just boring boxes.

Ashby

As someone who went to a gaming con last weekend and fell in love with the TG16, I don't see a big difference between the PC Engine and the CoreGrafx. Plus hard to turn your nose up at that sweet A/V output!

PC Engine

CoreGrafx

NEC-PC-Engine-Core-Grafx-Console.jpg

Mandelbo

I fucking love the volume meter on the FM Towns. It's just so cool! Really wish we still got designs like this these days, now that minimalism is the top design trend.

Eolz

That reminds me of the tweet from NEC some weeks ago about the PC-9801 and other series going in a japanese museum.
CrqLN9HXgAEfzwY.jpg

Really interesting design.
When I think of cyberpunk, I always think first of the weird but cool japanese designs from the 70s to the 90s.

Sony was so obsessed with making tiny CD players that they made them smaller than the CD itself.

SONY-Discman-D-88-Vender-05.jpg

Woah, that's cool in its weird way

The X1 turned out to be a massive success

So. Much. Eroge.
Nah. Of the Big Three 8-bit Japanese PC platforms (leaving out MSX), X1 was third in line commercially speaking. It just had a devoted install base strong enough to migrate to and then support the X68k, at least until piracy became widespread. The PC-88 had a much stronger commercial and doujin games market, but for a while you could get superior ports of multi-platform games (+ exclusives) on the X1, and its monitors were useful beyond just the main system.

Also, the X68k has relatively little eroge vs. the PC-98xx. It's all about arcade shooters, belt-scrolling fighters, the occasional CRPG, expanded arcade ports from Dempa renowned to this day, and polygonal 3D games like Geograph Seal and Star Cruiser.

That reminds me of the tweet from NEC some weeks ago about the PC-9801 and other series going in a japanese museum.
CrqLN9HXgAEfzwY.jpg

Really interesting design.
The NEC 100 really could have been a viable Xerox Alto-derived GUI workstation for its time...if NEC hadn't gouged potential buyers out while supplying not quite enough software/support.

Khaz

I'm... Personally not a fan of some of these designs.

We've come a long way in space efficiency of computers.

Meh, ATX is still king when you want to build a powerhouse. And really, the age of the nettop as a working machine started in the last five years or so. Before that, a computer was a bulky tower or desktop that you had to keep under your desk or under your screen.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nah. Of the Big Three 8-bit Japanese PC platforms (leaving out MSX), X1 was third in line commercially speaking. It just had a devoted install base strong enough to migrate to and then support the X68k, at least until piracy became widespread. The PC-88 had a much stronger commercial and doujin games market, but for a while you could get superior ports of multi-platform games (+ exclusives) on the X1, and its monitors were useful beyond just the main system.

Also, the X68k has relatively little eroge vs. the PC-98xx. It's all about arcade shooters, belt-scrolling fighters, the occasional CRPG, expanded arcade ports from Dempa renowned to this day, and polygonal 3D games like Geograph Seal and Star Cruiser.

The NEC 100 really could have been a viable Xerox Alto-derived GUI workstation for its time...if NEC hadn't gouged potential buyers out while supplying not quite enough software/support.

I was under the impression that Sharp basically owed its entire status in the computer industry to the X1's reception.

As for the X68k vs. PC-98xx... well, the PC-98xx was smut central indeed. There's no way around it.

Edit: Google's image search throws out a ton of eroge stuff at you just by looking for PC-98xx. Haha.
Edit 2: Sharp, not NEC.

I was under the impression that NEC basically owed its entire computer status to the X1's reception.
PC-88 ruled its market (even above the MSX(2) standard) simply through excellent third-party support both new from 1982 onward and coming from PC-8001xx developers/publishers/magazine listing games. Companies like Falcom, Telenet/Wolf Team, Koei, System Soft, Tecno Soft/Arsys Soft...they all built their eventual console successes off their J-PC output, which centered on NEC PCs. Fujitsu's FM-7 proved a popular alternative because it was remarkably cheaper while still being decent to program, but the X1 was focused by comparison. X68k was marketed both as a games machine and as a low-end workstation for CG and other uses.

PC-98 = smut central, but that's if you ignore all the other wargames, beat 'em ups, CRPGs, puzzlers, doujin shooters, SFW adventures, &c. It's a more varied platform than many think.

Love this thread! Since I graduated and got an awesome job, I've been building my collection.

I have a X68000 of course.

I have a FM Towns that I haven't unpacked since moving and a PC-98 on it's way. This is a really expensive hobby but I love it.

Mandelbo

Are there any manufacturers that make cases like this anymore? Something that bugs me is that a lot of the non-OEM desktop towers that I've look quite gaudy and unappealing, like Razer and Alienware products. If I were to build a PC I'd want it to be aesthetically similar to the stuff in the OP.

Pimpbaa

Why you shitting on the CoreGrafx when it is better looking than a lot of the examples you gave? Especially NEC's later stuff. Only really looked ugly when hooked up to the cd drive. Sega Megadrive/Genesis model 2 also look like shit when hooked up to their cd drives (I think the original megadrive/genesis sega cd combo looks much better).

RedSwirl

People may not agree but this is actually why I don't mind the 3DS's design. People give Nintendo shit for making hardware in this day and age that looks (and functions) like 90's Japanese computer technology, but I'm perfectly fine with it. In the midst of today's gaming systems I think the 3DS feels the most like what "traditional" gaming-dedicated hardware used to be.

What happened to this age of design of course was the iPhone. As soon as that happened, all of a sudden the less physical inputs the better. You can see Apple taking this path further with the removal of the headphone jack. And every smartphone maker is following that general aesthetic. It makes me wish someone would make a smartphone for the function-over-fashion crowd. It'd be great to see an Android device that dares to have a physical keyboard, a shitload of buttons, and a boxy early 90's design.

This is a great thread! Bravo OP! 1980s-1990s Japan is so awesome. I wish I could go back in time and live there during that 20 year stretch. It would be glorious to live through the golden years of Famicom, Master System, SFC, GameBoy, Saturn, PlayStation, Dreamcast, and ending with PS2. Damn it makes me sad I was born earlier and lived in Japan lol.

Are there any manufacturers that make cases like this anymore? Something that bugs me is that a lot of the non-OEM desktop towers that I've look quite gaudy and unappealing, like Razer and Alienware products. If I were to build a PC I'd want it to be aesthetically similar to the stuff in the OP.
Sharp recently has been selling X68k-shaped cases in a couple of sizes. Aside from that I have no idea.

DedValve

Banned
Sony was so obsessed with making tiny CD players that they made them smaller than the CD itself.

SONY-Discman-D-88-Vender-05.jpg

90's kid but I saw something like this once and my mind was full of fuck on how the thing was reading the cd. Like actual black sorcery infused with technology.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Why you shitting on the CoreGrafx when it is better looking than a lot of the examples you gave? Especially NEC's later stuff. Only really looked ugly when hooked up to the cd drive. Sega Megadrive/Genesis model 2 also look like shit when hooked up to their cd drives (I think the original megadrive/genesis sega cd combo looks much better).

It committed the unpardonable sin of being mediocre looking at a period of excellence, IMO (although it was certainly impressive from a packaging perspective, that is for sure). I also happen to think that the original PlayStation has aged terribly, as iconic as it may be. But to each their own. A lot of people still think the Master System II looks like ass, while I love it.

Anyway, both NEC and Sega were simply crazy back in the day. How many damn progressive improvements/versions of the same two or three products they could ever need? Sure, it made the lifes of collectors much more interesting, but I cannot imagine the absurd amount of resources wasted in engineering this mess of a product range:

Neff

And that's just a photo of a CRT; can you just imagine what it looked like in real life?

Oh, absolutely. Seeing Street Fighter II in RGB for the first time on my friend's Super Famicom + 14" Trinitron convinced me to ditch all my PAL console gear and import NTSC so I could have the same.

SCART truly was the silver lining for us European gamers.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This is the aesthetic I grew up with and what made me so interested in industrial design. Still to this day the X68000 looks incredible, that I can't get over it was originally manufactured in '87!

It's such a shame that the apple minimalism aesthetic took over in the mid 2000's (even in music, with the rise of boring minimal techno) and everything became these nondescript boxes with few buttons and helvetica fonts everywhere. There are people who love this stuff but it's so forgettable and after the trend eventually dies off, most of the industrial design from this era will be completely forgotten.

Anyways, here's a synth design from that era, the Yamaha DX-7:

And that's just a photo of a CRT; can you just imagine what it looked like in real life?

Don't need to imagine, my friend has one... and yes, it's absolutely GORGEOUS.

Top Bottom