• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII DEMO - OUT NOW* -

ZenaxPure

And yet, outside of Hunts I was able to get 5-stars easily dive-bombing my HP to suicidial levels in FF13/13-2, your point?

Which just means it's like most video games. The bosses are where the challenge/strategy is and most other enemies you can kill without thinking. And yet in other video games people still try to find efficient ways to take out minor enemies. The same concept applies to this as well. As for why Lightning can walk, I don't know, I haven't played the full game yet. Check back in later, I'm not saying that is a good mechanic or not because it's not possible for me to know yet. I was more focused on your button mashing comments.

Really it just makes me wonder if you feel that way about other video games? Since you picked action games I'll just go with that. In DMC3 I could button mash my way to victory in basically every fight. Yes the fights took longer, but, I could still do it and win. Does that invalidate the fact that you can learn the mechanics and play it on a better level in that game as well? Because that's basically what you just said about this. It sounds like you're against people actually learning how to play games and understand all the systems in them.

Besides, to be honest I'm not sure what your point is in the post since the demo equips you differently than the full game. Doing shit play with high level abilities you aren't given in the main game at that point and getting a high score seems like a moot point.

rataven

Just played through the demo again. Spent a little more time toying around with the battle system and customization. Really enjoying that part of the game so far. The dialogue is still SUPER bad and Snow is still SUPER stupid, but I think I can deal.

Legit looking forward to the full release now.

Milennia

So whats the difference between the different paradigms?
Is it mainly there so you can keep attacking and switching when your ATB runs low?

chrono01

So whats the difference between the different paradigms?
Is it mainly there so you can keep attacking and switching when your ATB runs low?
If it's anything like previous Final Fantasy XIII titles, they're for different effects [one for damage, one for healing, one for status buffs/debuffs/etc.].

Milennia

If it's anything like previous Final Fantasy XIII titles, they're for different effects [one for damage, one for healing, one for status buffs/debuffs/etc.].

I have played through both of them, this is different.
You need to heal with items.
The only reason i can see it there, is so that you can keep attacking while the other ATB gauges fill and switching between magic and normal attacks, but its seems to complicate things with the use of 3 of them and 2 abilities each outside of counterattack/guard and normal attack.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Basically, each outfit has their own set of attacks & their own ATB bar. To some extent, yes, once you run out of ATB for one, you switch to the other and have a different set of attacks to use while the meter fills up for the inactive ones.

raven777

The only reason i can see it there for is so that you can keep attacking while the other ATB gauges fill and switching between magic and normal attacks, but its seems to complicate thing with the use of 3 of them and 2 abilities each outside of counterattack/guard and normal attack.

The way I usually set up 3 styles that have distinct roles: 1 focusing on magic attack, 1 focusing on physical attack, and 1 focusing on defense. Of course you can put guard for all 3 styles but There are certain costume/shields/abilities that makes better defense. When you have shitty defense stats and abilities, than you take damage even when you guard (You take less damage if you guard in exact timing but it still does some damage). And of course I put some physical attack/magic attacks for defense focused wear to mix it up.

chrono01

The only reason i can see it there,is so that you can keep attacking while the other ATB gauges fill and switching between magic and normal attacks, but its seems to complicate things with the use of 3 of them and 2 abilities each outside of counterattack/guard and normal attack.
Ah, good to know!

I haven't tried the demo out yet, but I will tomorrow. Nice to see that they switched things up, somewhat.

Milennia

The way I usually set up 3 styles that have distinct roles: 1 focusing on magic attack, 1 focusing on physical attack, and 1 focusing on defense. Of course you can put guard for all 3 styles but There are certain costume/shields/abilities that makes better defense. When you have shitty defense stats and abilities, than you take damage even when you guard (You take less damage if you guard in exact timing but it still does some damage). And of course I put some physical attack/magic attacks for defense focused wear to mix it up.

Oh ok, i actually feel pretty stupid now lol.
That seems like a good setup, so each ATB acting in a different style.
So judging on the situation, i can switch etc. as well as if i run out of ATB.
Seems pretty fast though, i would need to memorize which slot is which, but thats fine, switching to guard stance when i want to guard a heavy, or specific type of attack etc.

Thanks for the help.

Also, items is the only way of healing right? Unless i missed something there.

raven777

Oh ok, i actually feel pretty stupid now lol.
That seems like a good setup, so each ATB acting in a different style.
So judging on the situation, i can switch etc. as well as if i run out of ATB.
Seems pretty fast though, i would need to memorize which slot is which, but thats fine, switching to guard stance when i want to guard a heavy, or specific type of attack etc.

Thanks for the help.

Also, items is the only way of healing right? Unless i missed something there.

there is a guard ability that gradually hear HP while guarding

and yea when you are in difficult boss fights you make mistakes when switching styles quickly.. :p

I usually put certain types of actions in same button for all 3 styles (like guard on X for all 3 styles)

Milennia

there is a guard ability that gradually hear HP while guarding

and yea when you are in difficult boss fights you make mistakes when switching styles quickly.. :p

I usually put certain types of actions in same button for all 3 styles (like guard on X for all 3 styles)

Ah i need to check that out lol.
I used counterattack mostly when i played, it seemed a little OP, is there any reason i shouldn't use that as my sole guard ability lol? Maybe it cant dodge certain attacks i have yet to encounter etc.

creid

I used counterattack mostly when i played, it seemed a little OP, os there any reason i shouldn't use that as my sole guard ability lol? Maybe it cant dodge certain attacks i have yet to encounter etc.
It doesn't work very well against the boss, and doesn't seem to counter his fire attack at all.

Which just means it's like most video games. The bosses are where the challenge/strategy is and most other enemies you can kill without thinking. And yet in other video games people still try to find efficient ways to take out minor enemies. The same concept applies to this as well. As for why Lightning can walk, I don't know, I haven't played the full game yet. Check back in later, I'm not saying that is a good mechanic or not because it's not possible for me to know yet. I was more focused on your button mashing comments.

Really it just makes me wonder if you feel that way about other video games? Since you picked action games I'll just go with that. In DMC3 I could button mash my way to victory in basically every fight. Yes the fights took longer, but, I could still do it and win. Does that invalidate the fact that you can learn the mechanics and play it on a better level in that game as well? Because that's basically what you just said about this. It sounds like you're against people actually learning how to play games and understand all the systems in them.

Besides, to be honest I'm not sure what your point is in the post since the demo equips you differently than the full game. Doing shit play with high level abilities you aren't given in the main game at that point and getting a high score seems like a moot point.

Great argument. I agree with u

I played 13, so I was confused when serah popped up & wait... its not serah its lumina... ok

So when did they start callin the fal'cie or whatever 'cie it wss Gods & when did lightning become cyberpunk lady Jesus?

Edit: I mean weren't there multiple Gods n 13 now it just says God.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The dialog is so fucking BAD, people get paid to write this?

My god. You know after FFXII amazing translation, this is such a step backwards. Take these clowns off Final Fantasy.

raven777

I used counterattack mostly when i played, it seemed a little OP, is there any reason i shouldn't use that as my sole guard ability lol? Maybe it cant dodge certain attacks i have yet to encounter etc.

yea like the other mentioned I don't think it works well against boss. Also it can't counter magic since there is seperate magic counter ability.

The recommended guard abilities are heavy guard and mediguard.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

My god. You know after FFXII amazing translation, this is such a step backwards. Take these clowns off Final Fantasy.

It's bad even in Japanese.
Not sure why some people out there defend it.

HeelPower

what exactly is so bad about the dialogue in the demo ???

I don't see anything that requires massive complaints.

Its cheesy and entertaining as it is meant to be.

I mean what kind of expectations did you have coming in ? Oscar winning script ?

I liked it, felt kinda easy. I enjoyed FF13 enough to remember how the paradigm system worked and didn't have any problems with the combat. You can pull of some cool moves with well timed schemata swapping, and it is actually hard to juggle enemies in the air!

Still haven't gotten much more than 3/5 stars on the boss though. Does anyone know if the game gives you a notification when you unlock seigfried garb?

Veldin

I've already played the demo a few times but I still find myself going back and customizing my own schema, including gear and ability set-ups. Even in this demo there's a fair amount of variety to be experimented with and it all has a pretty profound effect on how powerful you are in battles.

Still about 3 weeks until release. Damn, I want it now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
what exactly is so bad about the dialogue in the demo ???

I don't see anything that requires massive complaints.

Its cheesy and entertaining as it is meant to be.

I mean what kind of expectations did you have coming in ? Oscar winning script ?

At least something not so juvenile and anime cliche.

Falk

that puzzling face
We need to go back to the days of Legend of Dragoon.

Unintentionally kitsch humor best humor.

TUT, SUCH A TRIFLE WOUND

Gotta find something to rag on this game.

500x1000px-LL-4fcaae67_noted-ryan-the-office.gif

Oh please.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
LR:FFXIII is just fanfiction at this point.

LuuKyK

Should I feel bad if I said I really liked the cast of DmC. I thought pretty much all the main cast had very good voice actors. The characters themselves were pretty cool imo. I don't get the hate. But then again, I never played the older DMC games.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I just read that you obtain the Siegfried garb when you take a snapshit of your score from Zaltys which I did. I don't remember it ever saying I got anything. How to I claim this garb?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I just read that you obtain the Siegfried garb when you take a snapshit of your score from Zaltys which I did. I don't remember it ever saying I got anything. How to I claim this garb?

It doesn't give you any confirmation, You get the garb in the full game not the demo.

Toth

DmC was bad, but I think this is worse especially when I know they have better writers at SE - see FF12 and 14.

Well, for games like 11 and 14, those writers will constantly be working on new updates and translations so it is not like they can be outsourced to other projects. Also, those teams tend to be larger due to the workload and beta testing. With 11 now getting monthly patches (big ones every 2 months apparently) and 14 getting a new big patch every 2 months, they must be quite busy. Finally, I don't think SE has been giving recent RPG translation the level of polish the PS2 generation has had. SE should really hire Alexander Smith exclusively.

Kuja9001

Banned
No FF game has just had some godly dialogue so why is this one getting hit with Ultima?

I do wish I could use JP voices with Eng subs.

Adaren

Playthrough #1: Lots of mistakes, combat was fun but overwhelming.
Playthrough #2: It clicked! I memorized which schema/buttons were where and felt much more in control.

I'm glad the combat system has depth and a learning curve! The customization options are also fantastic. Will Day 1 it when it comes out, and I'll probably end up playing the demo a few more times before that.

JSoup

Banned
Well, damn. Beat the demo and deleted, didn't bother with any of that online reporting crap. Didn't know about the Siegfried garb. :/

Guess it's time to 100% the first two games, as Lightening Returns looks really good.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is there a lot of areas in the game? I saw in the end trailer a desert, forest and iceland type zones? I'm guessing just one town. Also, does time stop in town and in menus?

I don't know why Kagari answered to you that way but I'm pretty sure there are two big cities (bigger than any other thing u've explored in XIII-2) and multiple little camps/settlements/towns scattered everywhere. Of course this is a jRPG so don't expect cities or towns to be like Grand Theft Auto's Liberty City and Co.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
No FF game has just had some godly dialogue so why is this one getting hit with Ultima?

You're totally right here. Sure Final Fantasy XII and Tactics had better writing, but XIII's trilogy is absolutely on par with the rest of the series from my experience. Voice acting just makes some moment akward enough for a western player, but I can't imagine a FF7 or 8 with VA being free of same moments. Plus the story is quite funny for all its twists, usually jRPGs are all about twists (coming out from nowhere) and XIII delivers quite alot of them: they're all entertaining if you're prepared!

Coxy

"All new monsters"
shows two of the same 3 monsters you fought in the demo, I hope enemy variety is better in the full game

Top Bottom