• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII DEMO - OUT NOW* -

I might check out the demo, I'm actually interested in the combat even if everything else looks awful, I might give it a rent at some point or buy it when it's really cheap.

Not up on Europe's PSN. Wonder if I can nab the one from the US store and still qualify for the costume bonuses.
If you buy the US version of the game then you will qualify.

If you can spare the gigabytes, just download the US demo, play that, then whenever the demo comes out on the European PSN, download it in the background.

MrDaravon

Try it yourself.

I've doubled checked it again just now....

sPAANJ0.png

krVt6b6.png

New policy shift?

No idea. I didn't work for me with a 7-day trial, but I didn't really expect it to honestly.

As an aside I just played the demo on PS3, good to see that it continues the grand tradition of the FFXIII games having incomprehensible and/or ridiculously stupid plots. I beat both XIII and XIII-2 and I have no goddamn idea what the fuck is going on. Also hard to judge since it's just a demo, but the people saying that the combat is way more active and approaching DMC/character action game levels seem fucking crazy; it was XIII/XIII-2 with holding a couple of extra buttons and limited character movement.

Will still get when it hits bargain bin because I hate myself, but man the time and money sink the XIII games have been make me wonder what S-E could have been.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's working with my new account now!!!! Yay!!!!

Don't know what the issue was before, but I guess I had to sign out on Xbox.com and then sign back in but it let me obtain the demo finally!

Downloading now!

DMeisterJ

Banned
I had a good enough time with the demo. I know the game is gonna tank, so I'll wait for the bargain bin, but I'm sure I can have as much fun with it as I did with XIII and XIII-2.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Just finished the demo. I love the amount of min-maxing you can do with the different garbs/equipment/accessories/abilities combinations. Will it ever get to the point where regular monsters are as strong, relative to you, as Zaltys in the demo? I think it would be perfect if by midgame, the regular monster difficulty was a tad stronger than Zaltys. Otherwise, it's a lot of customization wasted to just hold O -> L1 -> hold O -> repeat.

Timu

I don't think there would be big graphical differences between the versions so I wouldn't compare them side by side in screens, lol.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Playing the English demo made the game a bit easier, it's kinda cool that you can
chop off the boss's tail
. But I literally fell asleep during the demo, probably not a good sign.

RPGCrazied

I must be easily amused, I liked the demo. And the trailer after you beat the demo was really cool. But they couldn't update XIII or XIII-2 characters at all? They are still wearing same old outfits.

Also I hope I get the Siegfried costume, didn't say I did, but I did connect to twitter via the game and posted my end results.

Caayn

I don't think there would be big graphical differences between the versions so I wouldn't compare them side by side in screens, lol.
The differences between the PS3 and 360 of FFXIII were big, between FFXIII-2 the only real difference was that the cutscenes in the 360 version suffered from compression artifacts. I expect that Lightning Returns won't differ from FFXIII-2 in that regard.

SoulUnison

Banned
I was disappointed with the amount of color customization on the outfits.
There's all kinds of details you can't tweak, and sometimes there's entire costumes you can barely change, even though it's just one color, like the Dragoon garb.

Timu

The differences between the PS3 and 360 of FFXIII were big, between FFXIII-2 the only real difference was that the cutscenes in the 360 version suffered from compression artifacts. I expect that it is the same as with FFXIII-2.
Yeah I remember that, I think PS3 was lead platform for that. But now it'll probably be just like FFXIII-2.

LuuKyK

I must be easily amused, I liked the demo. And the trailer after you beat the demo was really cool. But they couldn't update XIII or XIII-2 characters at all? They are still wearing same old outfits.

Also I hope I get the Siegfried costume, didn't say I did, but I did connect to twitter via the game and posted my end results.

Yeah, how do I know if I got the Sigfried costume? It doesnt tell you.

Darkmakaimura

Gotta be honest.... Pretty freaking disappointed
I don't have this game in my hands right now. Loving it!

LuuKyK

Is it me or Ali Hillis sounds better here? She seems more, uhm, enthusiastic as Lightning this time. Thats the impression I got from the demo at least, specially during her conversations with Hope.

Falk

that puzzling face
Just finished the demo. I love the amount of min-maxing you can do with the different garbs/equipment/accessories/abilities combinations. Will it ever get to the point where regular monsters are as strong, relative to you, as Zaltys in the demo? I think it would be perfect if by midgame, the regular monster difficulty was a tad stronger than Zaltys. Otherwise, it's a lot of customization wasted to just hold O -> L1 -> hold O -> repeat.

There are large mobs, yes. They will beat your shit in if you are underlevelled or poorly equipped. They also scale in stats at a few points in the game day-wise.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
There are large mobs, yes. They will beat your shit in if you are underlevelled or poorly equipped. They also scale in stats at a few points in the game day-wise.
Cool. I heard that you level up via quests and not battles. So, that means you cannot overlevel, right? I enjoyed the core gameplay, but I'm just really concerned about difficulty. FF games generally aren't hard, but I need something less mindless than XIII-2's difficulty.

Demo felt really short...I recall the XIII-2 demo being much longer. For me, at this point, Snow is the only thing making me want to play this game. But I'm not sure it's worth $60.

isual

ehh. new battle system is alright. kinda slow though.

also, are the pre orders just outfits which give out bonuses in game or are they cosmetic ?

Demo felt really short...I recall the XIII-2 demo being much longer. For me, at this point, Snow is the only thing making me want to play this game. But I'm not sure it's worth $60.

If you told me back in 2010 that in 2014 people would be saying this about LRFFXIII (XIII-3), I would've laughed and told you that you were crazy.

But that's the crazy world we live in now.

Xenex

Will download as soon as it hits EU PSN, from reading this thread my expectations are low but none-the-less I'll approach with an open mind.

Darkmakaimura

Well...the combat is really fun.
It's pretty frantic. Once your ATB is exhausted, you switch to a another Schema. I did a lot of button mashing (I know you can hold a button to do repeated attack) and not knowing a lot of what I was doing except that "B" (360 version) was simply attack on most of them. That's just something that will take getting used to. Personally, I had a lot of fun with it despite the demo being super short.

Also, come on folks, post some of your Outerworld snapshots! :)

Demo is pretty short but I had a lot of fun with it. The combat system is great although I wish it was a little more fast paced. Then again I'm sure some of that has to do with being new to the battle system and not using my ATB gauges in the most efficient way possible.

Really looking forward to the full game in 3 weeks.

Edit:

Damn a PS3 exclusive outfit? I'm jealous now lol. That Samurai one looks badass.

Falk

that puzzling face
Cool. I heard that you level up via quests and not battles. So, that means you cannot overlevel, right? I enjoyed the core gameplay, but I'm just really concerned about difficulty. FF games generally aren't hard, but I need something less mindless than XIII-2's difficulty.

This game's scaling is a bit bizarre. If you play through on Normal, do a decent number of sidequests, then beat the game and NG+ on Hard the difficulty curve is (in my subjective taste/opinion) pretty damned good.

The caveat is twofold: Like you mentioned, you level via quests, so there's a finite amount you can power up in one playthrough. However, as you carry stats over to each subsequent NG+ cycle AND you can NG+ even on a game over at any point, you can eventually literally beat the game into submission by brute-forcing with bloated stats if you so desire.

(The stats do cap out eventually though)

RPGCrazied

Also, come on folks, post some of your Outerworld snapshots! :)

lol, yeah I suck. I will probably turn this feature off during the game, I don't want to see users in the game. That is what I'm thinking the blue characters are. You can like send them items or something.

BeiN3lpCIAEvt5R.jpg

Darkmakaimura

lol, yeah I suck. I will probably turn this feature off during the game, I don't want to see users in the game. That is what I'm thinking the blue characters are. You can like send them items or something.

BeiN3lpCIAEvt5R.jpg
You did better than me, bro! I'm gonna play the demo again after dinner.

Midou

I might check out the demo, I'm actually interested in the combat even if everything else looks awful, I might give it a rent at some point or buy it when it's really cheap.

This is me. Will check out demo purely for combat, if it's not DEVIL MAY CRY in JRPG form, I'll just erase it and never look back.

HeelPower

Is it me or Ali Hillis sounds better here? She seems more, uhm, enthusiastic as Lightning this time. Thats the impression I got from the demo at least, specially during her conversations with Hope.

Ali Hillis performance for lightning has always been unique, distinguishable and effective.

Ali Hillis is to lightning as David Hayter is to snake.

Modedude

You know I've actually really enjoyed what I've played of the FFXIII games, I think it's battle system is pretty cool and unique.

That said it pretty much was my introduction to the Final Fantasy series as a whole, so maybe had expectations coloured a bit differently.

I've been hearing this one's a bit more "Tri-Ace-ish", I don't know how to feel about that, because I always start up a Tri-Ace game and get to a point where I find it a little too complex and difficult.

Anyone getting a message saying the Siegfried garb was actually unlocked? I didn't connect any of my social networks to the game, but it still let me post on Outerworld. I'm guessing I didn't unlock the outfit?

RPGCrazied

Anyone getting a message saying the Siegfried garb was actually unlocked? I didn't connect any of my social networks to the game, but it still let me post on Outerworld. I'm guessing I didn't unlock the outfit?

No. No message either. I'm guessing you have to have the full game in order to import it from the demo save? I'm not deleting the demo just in case.

Alucrid

Banned
Hm...it's tough to judge the combat considering how overpowered you seem in the demo. The Boss was overly simple, five stars easily.

Top Bottom