• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead Studios and Press Play closed. Fable legends cancelled.

hawk2025

I don't understand, they could have at least released Legends, and kept a smaller crew to update the game.

Not even trying to launch it? Why?

How's the Project Spark crew doing?

This surprises me a bit.
Microsoft's software portfolio is looking a bit slim as it is, I'm not sure what they are thinking by axing internal parties. All I can think is that maybe they are giving up on the console space and moving to PC. But I'm still not sure this move would make much sense even then.

shoreu

Sorry if this has been posted already. From 5 days ago;

Cc9K-80WwAE0agr.jpg

This is now false.

Whats crazy if if years ago MS / Lionhead would have just focused and released a high quality Fable 4 title it would have been a giant release. Terrible mismanagement of the IP

I think you could just say "terrible mismanagement" and have been fairly accurate as it relates to Microsoft and their interactions and relationships with their game development studios. It's been long and well chronicled. I thought they had gotten better at it by now but clearly not. Wish I could find that article...

That was...out of nowhere. This reminded me of Ensemble, not the quality in recent years, but what the team meant to MSFT as a first party studio.

Anyway, you had a good run, Lionhead. Fable and Fable II were fantastic games. Hope they get placed wherever they find comfortable, ASAP.

How the hell did this happen? Fable 2 and 3 were huge...

Uhh, you sure about that?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
They better as fuck move these people to a new studio and keep that talent. Seriously hope they don't just cut all these people loose. Fucking shitty...

Legends was pretty shitty. Maybe it was the concept itselt with screams Don Mattrick which is why it sucked.

That being said the game was not out yet, and it screamed bomba all over it.

Call me an ass but someone has to take the blame for this being shitty.

Man I can't quite process this, out of no where. Good luck to all employees and it sucks that we won't get to play their future titles. Fable Legends wasn't really on my radar but I would have given it a shot if it turned out ok.

GlamFM

Banned
With a studio being this old salaries must have been pretty high.

If you´re not interested in the franchise anymore (I can understand why...) closing them down entirely is the smarter thing to do.

As sad as it is.

MS have successfully opened new studios before, lets see what happens next.

blakep267

I'm more suprised that they cancelled fable legends. I don't think it was bad there just wasn't that hook that made it all make sense and come together. I guess it was much farther off then I'd assumed. It'd be a shame to get rid of all that work though

Press play being gone sucks but I didn't like the direction they were going with this new game at all

SerTapTap

Christ, not even going to spit shine and toss the F2P Fable out there just to see if it earns? Closing the studio over it? This seems way too sudden. Lionhead's too big of a name to just go like that.

I do wonder why Legends' development took so long though, I never thought it looked good but I figured it was planned to be a quick experiment not a major dedication.

PMS341

Shame about the job losses; I believe those firings were misplaced. Marketing can be frightening.

Fable never really went in the right direction. Since the announcement of the original, all the promises, to the hype following, to the actual release - it never went uphill for the series. Each game steadily had questionable (or outright strange) decisions that hindered the potential of it all, whether involving a final boss where you literally hold down one button, or genuinely gimped co-op, or some other "executive" idea.

Now, I say this while honestly enjoying the original game, despite what it became compared to what was promised (though we all know who to blame for all that). Fable's entire history and collective has been completely misread by Microsoft, as they do a with title franchises like Banjo or Conker. For some reason, they believe the name alone is all it takes to pull fans/customers into something they consider experimental or new, or something completely different than the brand fans loved in the first place. Microsoft never spent time to prove they could market those franchises or handle them correctly in the first place, and instead just pushed forward with dollar signs in their eyes. It feels so disconnected.

I know almost nothing about the Fable series, but it still sucks that jobs are lost/in jeopardy and a game people were looking forward to was cancelled...

Wishing the best to those affected.

Trago

Hope the devs land on their feet. This is terrible.

Microsoft pulled the plug on a major first party studio.

If you´re not interested in the franchise anymore (I can understand why...) closing them down entirely is the smarter thing to do.

As sad as it is.

This doesn't really explain Press Play though, does it?

mnannola

Step 1: Find successful games studio
Step 2: Force them to make games they don't want to make
Step 3: Wonder why their game quality and development speed isn't the same

Why didn't they just make Fable 4?

Damn, the beta looked damn good. Even though it definitely seemed like a game that would get boring quite soon but that's just me. It's damn sad to just see this getting cancelled out of nowhere. And what the FUCK..... Press Play? Why???? Max The Curse of Brotherhood was awesome. What is going on?

I really wonder why there was such a reluctance to make a legit follow up to Fable 2 & 3, rather than all this dicking around with spin offs that don't satisfy why people loved Fable in the first place? Given how well 2 & 3 sold you'd think they'd at least make a stab at a Fable 4 before shuttering the studio. Surely Legends would have at least left them with a lot of engine, art and asset work that could be repurposed?

But that's all just speculation now. My best wishes to all those affected by these closures.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Fable 3 sold incredibly well

Fable 3 was the Assassin's Creed Unity of Fable confirmed.

Fanbase was negative to it and the games after (The Journey and this) were not looked at positively.

Basically, Fable got fucked up. Also, they had no diversity. The Movies came out in 2006. Black and White before that. Then nothing but Fable. Then bad Fables. Then a Fable remake. Then this bad looking Fable. Then closed. Am I surprised? No. At this point, how "major" of a first party studio was this?

They're killing the franchise that along with Halo, I most associate with the Xbox brand.

I hate to say it but I feel the exact same. There was a time where both Halo and Fable were 2 of my favorite IP's in gaming.

No hyperbole but it feels like to me MS has been killing the entire Xbox Brand for me this generation. The Xbone barely even feels like an "Xbox" to me and the entire brand is something Im losing serious interest in due to stuff like how Fable and Halo have been handled

Even though I was never a fan of Fable or Lionhead this is incredibly sad news. There was a lot of Fable fans. Though it is a proposed closure, so there may still be hope that they survive this.

Press Play on the other hand I liked both Kalimba and Max: The Curse of Brotherhood. I cant say I was looking much forward to Knoxville, but again Im sad to see them close.

First thought, I feel bad for everyone that will be affected by this, all the employees and their families. Hope they can find some better opportunities out there.

Second thought, something had to be royally screwed-up for them to dump the game this close to release, especially since it has felt like the game has been hanging in limbo in an almost finished state for how long now?. Something has definitely felt off with this game for awhile now.

Third, what does this mean for the Fable IP? Are we going to see a different studio take over and make a new mainline Fable game? Too bad Rare has their plate full, I would love to see what they could do with this IP.

Got to admit that I was never really into the concept of the Fable Legends so although I feel bad for the people making the game I'm not too disappointed that I wont get to play it.

sangreal

Honestly Press Play is more surprising than Lionhead to me.

only thing surprising is that they let Press Play start on a new project and go through that public campaign to pick a game.

While I've enjoyed their games, I don't think any have been particularly successful. Kalimba was sent out to die and I thought for sure they would close the studio after that

GhaleonEB

Terrible news, really sorry to hear so many lost their jobs. I'm not familiar with Press Play, but in the case of Lionhead, it seems like Microsoft set them to the task of driving Fable into the ground, and then killed the studio when it was done. Just bad management from Microsoft. (Fable 3 was put out well before it should have been.)

nib95

Banned

As sad as it is.

But why not just have them work on a brand new tent pole IP instead? It's not like Lionhead Studios doesn't have some legacy behind it. If salaries were an issue, they could have just downsized and even re-hired.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Wow, that was out of the blue.

I really loved Fable 1/2 back in the day. Black and White 1/2 were great in their time too.

Instro

I think you could just say "terrible mismanagement" and have been fairly accurate as it relates to Microsoft and their interactions and relationships with their game development studios. It's been long and well chronicled. I thought they had gotten better at it by now but clearly not. Wish I could find that article...

Pretty much. This is how MS treats their dev studios.

Terrible news all round.

I was hoping we would get a new single player Fables game, but to not have anything is awful.

They are slowly killing their big named games, Fable 1 - 3 were great adventures and I enjoyed them so much

Gowans

OWCH jesus, hopefully Press Play can kickstart Knoxville but man Lionhead were a beast.

The Fable Legends beta never clicked with me, seems like they were taking too long.

Who could make another, proper Fable tho?

Zophar

I bought a first Xbox for Fable 1. Liked it okay, never finished it. Bought Fable II at launch too, had the same reaction.

Can't say this bodes well for the health of Microsoft's 1st party development as a whole, though. Fable was still a lot bigger than nearly everything coming in 2016.

ViciousDS

Banned
I hate to day it but I feel the exact same. There was a time where both Halo and Fable were 2 of my favorite IP's in gaming.

No hyperbole but it feels like to me MS has been killing the entire Xbox Brand for me this generation. The Xbone barely even feels like an "Xbox" to me and the entire brand is something Im losing serious interest in due to stuff like how Fable and Halo have been handled

I have an xbox and love it.....but the way the brand has been shifting, my xbox now feels like a glorified top box akin to my Nvidia Shield.....just a little more power. 3rd party, dying franchises and no exclusives.

Top Bottom