• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead Studios and Press Play closed. Fable legends cancelled.

_machine

Kevin Dent is a nut case, do not believe anything he says.
His math seems to be in the ballpark, especially as does the fact that Lionhead did admit that they "needed" Fable 3 to sell over 5 million copies, which it did not. I don't know much about the guy otherwise so I can't comment, but in my experience it's not an unrealistic figure for this generation.

Fable 2 sold 3.5 million copies, Lionhead 'needs' 5 million for Fable 3/

Press Play got a new office in January, sad for them.
Yeah, they also seemed quite excited about the prototypes they had and even though I'm not in the loop, the rumors are that people there had no idea this was about to happen.

Amir0x

Banned
Everyone should pay attention & read this post if they haven't already. It's very informative.

Yeah it is. Looks like Microsoft will be a genuine casualty in the hardware business of gaming, just like SEGA soon.

That's an interesting dynamic after that - Nintendo v. Sony. But will this be good for the market, one less major system for ports? Not so sure it will be... will be fascinating to see where long time Microsoft adherents end up landing after this. Will they stick in gaming and go to NX or Sony? Or just go PC?

Interesting times ahead.

Sethista

lionhead hits close to home for me. Still, to this day, after everything, I remember fable fondly. I loved fable 1, it was partly why I came back to videogames in a big way after skipping the n64 and play 1.

I wish they could have bring that franchise back from oblivion. Well, so long fable 1

Champagne

Banned
MS' philosophy and strategy regarding 1st party studios baffled me 10 years ago, and it seems it's gotten no better since then.

mcrommert

Banned
Yeah it is. Looks like Microsoft will be a genuine casualty in the hardware business of gaming, just like SEGA soon.

That's an interesting dynamic after that - Nintendo v. Sony. But will this be good for the market, one less major system for ports? Not so sure it will be... will be fascinating to see where long time Microsoft adherents end up landing after this. Will they stick in gaming and go to NX or Sony? Or just go PC?

Interesting times ahead.

"We are coming out with more hardware for consoles while also putting our games on pc" - Microsoft is leaving console gaming

"Microsoft shutters two studios" - Microsoft is leaving gaming entirely

smh

His math seems to be in the ballpark, especially as does the fact that Lionhead did admit that they "needed" Fable 3 to sell over 5 million copies, which it did not. I don't know much about the guy otherwise so I can't comment, but in my experience it's not an unrealistic figure for this generation.

Fable 2 sold 3.5 million copies, Lionhead 'needs' 5 million for Fable 3/

Yeah, they also seemed quite excited about the prototypes they had and even though I'm not in the loop, the rumors are that people there had no idea this was about to happen.

He may be right in this case, but he is still a nut case :).

watershed

Banned
This is really too bad. Although I was not hyped for Fable Legends, I think the Fable IP itself was pretty good, I enjoyed 1 and 2 and the series still had potential to be a good western action rpg.

Amir0x

Banned
"We are coming out with more hardware for consoles while also putting our games on pc" - Microsoft is leaving console gaming

smh

They're making incremental hardware upgrades now, ala PC? I thought that was the strategy they were going to attempt?

Similarly, this issue is a symptom of a larger one. This is not the only news that indicates Microsoft is seriously changing direction. They may try temporarily to keep the band-aid by attempting an incremental upgrade XBO or something, but it's going to end up the same way.

smh

Yeah, it's a goofy reaction if you've been keeping up the last couple of weeks.

WadeitOut

MS' philosophy and strategy regarding 1st party studios baffled me 10 years ago, and it seems it's gotten no better since then.

This forum has spent the last 7 years talking about how there hasn't been a good fable game since Fable 2.

Nothing like a studio closing to allow nostalgia to take over.

mcrommert

Banned
This is really too bad. Although I was not hyped for Fable Legends, I think the Fable IP itself was pretty good, I enjoyed 1 and 2 and the series still had potential to be a good western action rpg.

lionhead hits close to home for me. Still, to this day, after everything, I remember fable fondly. I loved fable 1, it was partly why I came back to videogames in a big way after skipping the n64 and play 1.

I wish they could have bring that franchise back from oblivion. Well, so long fable 1

Oh wow. That's awful. I loved Fable 1 & 2.

The Fables games were not the greatest, but I still enjoyed them. This is out of freaking nowhere.

Its unfortunate that LionHead is shut down and i always did love Fable 1 and even liked Fable 2 a tiny bit.

But they havent produced a game ive liked for years, especially after Peter left, so i have no real attachment to them or Fable Legends.

This is so sad. Fable 1 and 2 were great back in the day. RIP

Fable: The Lost Chapters is literally my favorite WRPG. I love playing that game when I was a kid. What happened to Lionhead Studios?!?!

Was never really hyped on Fable Legends honestly, and even though Fable 3 turned out to be a letdown, I hoped the series would return back to its former glory. Fable is one of my alltime favourite games, and the sequel was great as well. Sorry for all the people losing their jobs.

And this is why there was no fable 4...there was little interest in the mass market.

And they evidently failed with fable legends.

EYEL1NER

I'll always have Fable 1 and 2 to remember Lionhead by. I guess the wait for Backwards-compatible Fable Anniversary will continue as well. I'll have to look into Fable Legends at some point and see what that would have been like; I didn't pay any attention to anything Fable-related after my disappointment with 3.

etta

my hard graphic balls

smh

Yeah, it's a goofy reaction if you've been keeping up the last couple of weeks.

It really dampens the atmosphere around here. So much doom and gloom, especially since so much of it is unwarranted.
If it was warranted then fair's fair, but most of it is not.

GutZ31

I wish the absolute best to all the devs and employees that are without work over this.
Hopefully they bounce back quickly, and either find new studios to work for, or create their own.

Everyone should pay attention & read this post if they haven't already. It's very informative.

The writing has been on the wall.

I could agree with most of that but the cloud gaming initiative is a bit off. They supported the OG xbox multiplayer years after the 360 launched. When did the servers for a SOCOM game go down?

Free to play isnt always the best route. LOL and DOTA2 are interesting in this area actually.

mcrommert

Banned
They're making incremental hardware upgrades now, ala PC? I thought that was the strategy they were going to attempt?

Similarly, this issue is a symptom of a larger one. This is not the only news that indicates Microsoft is seriously changing direction. They may try temporarily to keep the band-aid by attempting an incremental upgrade XBO or something, but it's going to end up the same way.

I'm sorry to have to explain it to you, but "seriously changing direction" does not equate to leaving the industry. Those on this forum who have a serious issue with microsoft keep pushing this line of reasoning even though it is divorced from any resemblance of critical thought.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Only for the sake of an obtuse argument would someone include mobile games and a remakes as part of an "annual franchise".

Or for the fact, by definition, that is exactly what a franchise is.

I think you do not know what a franchise is.

Oh you know...

a general title or concept used for creating or marketing a series of products, typically films or television shows.
"the Harry Potter franchise"

"the Halo Franchise"

But let us pretend to twist it with mental gymnastics to fit a narrative as well.

Now if he just said, FPS mainland, then it would be false, but a yearly FRANCHISE is exactly what it is, and what MSFT wanted to do with it. Sadly it feels oversaturated to some.

I'm sorry to have to explain it to you, but "seriously changing direction" does not equate to leaving the industry. Those on this forum who have a serious issue with microsoft keep pushing this line of reasoning even though it is divorced from any resemblance of critical thought.

I am sorry to have to explain to you that just because MSFT is 'changing direction', does not mean it is a shoe in to pan out for them.

It may just very well burry them more in the home console gaming front, since Sony has proven, that people just want a simple, non-multiple SKU/confusing console gaming machine that just focuses on playing games. Not chasing the tech carrot, or anything else that does not pertain to just gaming.

Just another end of the speculation/perspective front.

Amir0x

Banned

I didn't say they were leaving the industry, I said they'll be leaving the hardware part of gaming soon. Nuance is good, so is reading comprehension.

Amir0x said:
Looks like Microsoft will be a genuine casualty in the hardware business of gaming, just like SEGA soon.

Similarly, I have no serious problem with Microsoft. 360 was my favorite console last gen, and if they made another awesome console I'd be all on board. Microsoft as a company has nothing to do with it. Stop projecting.

chadskin

Has Phil Spencer even acknowledged this? I went to his Twitter and didn't see anything mentioned about it.

No, neither have any other Xbox people on Twitter as far as I can tell. Considering Lionhead's legacy, this kind of send-off really saddens me. But such is the business I guess.

mcrommert

Banned
I didn't say they were leaving the industry, I said they'll be leaving the hardware part of gaming soon. Nuance is good, so is reading comprehension.

Similarly, I have no serious problem with Microsoft. 360 was my favorite console last gen, and if they made another awesome console I'd be all on board. Microsoft as a company has nothing to do with it. Stop projecting.

My mistake. "I'm sorry to have to explain it to you, but "seriously changing direction" does not equate to leaving the hardware industry"

Amir0x

Banned
My mistake. "I'm sorry to have to explain it to you, but "seriously changing direction" does not equate to leaving the hardware industry"

It doesn't equate to it, but that's the direction we're headed. These are not the moves one makes if you're investing heavily in a future with robust hardware helmed by your company. And it's not this alone, it's many recent bits of news culminating in this being a real thing.

Mikey Jr.

I really wonder what the word "xbox" will mean in 5 years.

Also, when do we usually hear rumblings about the next console? 5 years in?

Jumeira

Banned
Legends didn't look good, they failed with F3 and Fable Kinect. I'm not surprised but still sad. The Witcher is the game Fable tried to be, but I would love MS to shop Fable to another dev, F1&2 were great.

MS arnt going anywhere lol, trimming unnecessary fat while increasing investment (new hardware) is more reason to believe they are serious about their long term commitment to the industry.

Flintty

Am I the only one who likes Fable 3? It wasn't the best but I loved it regardless. The VA lineup was superb!
And I liked the story.

Or for the fact, by definition, that is exactly what a franchise is.

But let us pretend to twist it with mental gymnastics to fit a narrative as well.

Now if he just said, FPS mainland, then it would be false, but a yearly FRANCHISE is exactly what it is, and what MSFT wanted to do with it. Sadly it feels oversaturated to some.

I am sorry to have to explain to you that just because MSFT is 'changing direction', does not mean it is a shoe in to pan out for them.

It may just very well burry them more in the home console gaming front, since Sony has proven, that people just want a simple, non-multiple SKU confusing console gaming machine that just focuses on playing games. Not chasing the tech carrot, or anything else that does not pertain to just gaming.

Just another end of the speculation/perspective front.

If its on mobile its not real right?

Naythan

I'm sad for the people who lost their jobs but also mad I had to suffer through 3 years of Fable Legends horning its way into press conferences to the interest of no one only to get canceled.

Leflus

Am I the only one who likes Fable 3? It wasn't the best but I loved it regardless. The VA lineup was superb!
And I liked the story.
I liked it as well. Especially coupled with the Traitor's Keep DLC. It was a good game despite the rushed development.

Bedlam

Well, that sucks. Especially knowing that it was Microsoft who put them on this fruitless path of pumping out shovelware after Fable 2. The blind behemoth claimed another victim, kinda like EA.

Flintty

I liked it as well. Especially coupled with the Traitor's Keep DLC. It was a good game despite the rushed development.

I still need to play the DLC on X1! I lost my save though so gonna have to start again. Feels poignant to make a start after today :(

Outside of this, I think there are other factors at play.

Being a hardware vendor in the console space has been, shall we say, problematic.

For Nintendo and Sony, it has produced results, but for Microsoft, it was always a bit of a "Trojan Horse" for Windows based devices.... but that sort of passed by when consoles become, shall we say, passed over for tablets, phone and FireStick/ChromeCast.

I don't know if the console industry can support three consoles at the moment, I'm fairly certain supporting 2 is only going to work if they have enough differences to make it viable.

For Microsoft, what do they, as a company, really get out of Xbox? It's neither big enough to help with their "unified devices" idea nor profitable enough to make it sustainable to keep studios open when they can get other people to make the games for cheaper.

Looking at it from an entirely outside point of view, they may fight to keep Xbox, as a brand, but what does it gain from being a stand alone system?

Lionhead @ Thanks for everything. Black and White 1 and 2 are some of my favorite video games. The humor and atmosphere you put int these games was unique. I really, really care about these games.

Microsoft is the absolute master of failing at things even when it'd be easier to succeed. The good news is, pretty soon they'll have no more internal studios to shut down besides the ones reliably pumping out their biggest franchises every two years. As someone who bought a lot of Microsoft Game Studios titles and really loved so much of what they accomplished on 360, it sucks that shifting corporate priorities and an unwillingness to fully commit to gaming sabotaged so much of what they could have accomplished.

listen to the mad man

And I mean this in the most appreciative way possible. One would have to be mad to put that much time and effort to research and write up such an exhaustive post. Your sanity notwithstanding, it is greatly appreciated.

KingBroly

Banned
Legends didn't look good, they failed with F3 and Fable Kinect. I'm not surprised but still sad. The Witcher is the game Fable tried to be, but I would love MS to shop Fable to another dev, F1&2 were great.

MS arnt going anywhere lol, trimming unnecessary fat while increasing investment (new hardware) is more reason to believe they are serious about their long term commitment to the industry.

Cutting Lionhead is like cutting off a bone for Microsoft at this point, not fat. Lionhead WAS a reputable studio that got driven into the ground after Fable 2.

I don't have any info there, but I don't think that's what MS does. I'd assume that Lionhead had enough freedom to decide over what games they wanted to make. It rarely happens that a publisher straight out tells the developer what kinda game should be developed next (apart from the obvious Call of Duty, Forza, etc. studios that are pretty much committed to make just that). I might be completely wrong on that and they might do stuff like that to AAA studios, but I'd just be very surprised. Motivation would automatically be at an extreme-low, if you don't allow developers to come up with their own vision. I'm sure once you land a huge hit like a 'Halo', Microsoft would definitely want the dev to make another sequel, but in the case with Lionhead, I wouldn't be surprised if those decisions weren't made by MS, but by upper management at Lionhead themselves.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Molyneux was a huge fan of Kinect and he might have put that into production after seeing a prototype he liked or whatever. Since this is all NDA'd, I guess we'll never know what actually happened.

I know at one point Bungie didn't want to make Halo anymore which lead to them leaving. We see what happened to the heads of Infinity Ward when they didn't want to make anymore CODs. You're right can't be for sure, but if the big studios can't call their shots, why would the little guy be able to? Remember Black Tusk studios was working on their own IP, until MS bought Gears, brought in Rod Ferguson and said you guys are making Gears 4! Didn't ask, didn't suggest, told! Then changed the studio name to reflect they'll only be making Gears of War games. So those examples (minus the COD), the phantom dust situation, rare being relagated to a Kinect squad leads me to believe MS isn't the paragon of dev freedom.

Molyneux is the biggest Bullshitter in gaming, I don't know if he was telling the truth or not.

This is my fear as well. : /

This is the job description of an Xbox boss in Europe from 2012 to 2015:

Look at what their European studios are/were working on in that period:

Lionhead: Fable Legends (went from single-player games to F2P games as a service)
Rare: Sea of Thieves (Shared world multiplayer game. It was an upgrade from kinect duty, I suppose)
Press Play: Project Knoxville (went from single player games to multiplayer game)
Mojang: Minecraft

Yeah I personally can't see Sea of Thieves doing well. Every time I hear the Podcast Unlocked crew say how excited they are for the game I wonder if they're being sarcastic. I bet that game above any other game announced for console, gets Phantom Dusted or Fabled. Good thing they have minecraft

Top Bottom