• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionsgate Taps ‘Highlander’ Creator To Script Film On First Black Samurai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slaves brought by Portuguese.

Not many, owing to the sheer distances involved - as mentioned it was primarily portuguese traders bringing them along as slaves. Meanwhile with Yasuke, while it's known he was African, a samurai, and in the service of Oda Nobunaga, there's not much in the way of other details available. However, such is part of what makes the movie potential so interesting - you can basically do next to anything and it wouldn't be technically ahistorical.
Damn, thought they were free men:( that's what I get for being naive. Thanks.

Ratrat

Not many, owing to the sheer distances involved - as mentioned it was primarily portuguese traders bringing them along as slaves. Meanwhile with Yasuke, while it's known he was African, a samurai, and in the service of Oda Nobunaga, there's not much in the way of other details available. However, such is part of what makes the movie potential so interesting - you can basically do next to anything and it wouldn't be technically ahistorical.
How many good Samurai films has Hollywood made? I think the number is 0, and I hope they at least get a Japanese director and cast.

Edit: or make something fun and selfaware.

This could be a seminal action movie revitalizing the historical action epic movie.

Or a cluster fuck of epic proportions.

I don't foresee a lot of in between.

This could be a seminal action movie revitalizing the historical action epic movie.

Or a cluster fuck of epic proportions.

I don't foresee a lot of in between.

To add to this:
If it were to succeed, it could be easily used to justify tending characters with only one or two references in history into the most outlandish but 'historical' figures.

Or on the other hand, it becomes another bullshit reason to claim movies with African leads won't sell.

Just saw this randomly on my Facebook feed yesterday (not the movie info, just about the man.

Or maybe it was brought up because of the film but I watched it without audio and the first thing that came up was "move over Tom Cruise (text) regarding being the first non-Japanese samurai or something.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How many good Samurai films has Hollywood made? I think the number is 0, and I hope they at least get a Japanese director and cast.

Edit: or make something fun and selfaware.

dude.

get Takashi Miike to direct.

srsly

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jesus dude really hasn't done anything since Highlander

Cause having a story with a black lead is "Pandering".

i think he was being understandably ignorant of obscure history. i found out about this dude today. and i heard takashi miike was directing.

Black Samurai? We already kinda have that:

Samurai_Jack_season_five_poster.jpg

His VA is black.

akira28

]At first it sounded like pandering bullshit[/B] but I didn't know it was a true story. Can't wait.

hey guy. i'm side eying you.

i'm going to go drive, buy some chips, and then I'm going to come back and side eye you some more.

because... you know. how much they pander. to the blacks.

"None of the Japanese had seen a black-skinned person before, and Widen said they initially tried to scrub him, believing the color would come off his skin."

afro-shaking-head-no.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom