• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's actually 2 $3.50 bundles, one for μ's and one for Aquors. I bought the Aquors one as well but got nothing special out of it. I'm like half tempted to buy both of the major update bundles which is basically the same thing but you get an extra 11 draw and more Alpacas.
The big bundles refresh every month at least, so there's no rush.

I only got 2 SSRs out of mine. Game is trolling me. lol

Articalys

"Only" 2 SSRs, huh? Say that again to those of us who never get anything beyond the guaranteed on 10+1's.

------------------

The School Idol Skill system is turning out to be surprisingly fun, probably from its RPG-ishness. The score boxes give you a more immediate sense of progress from just clearing ordinary lives (aside from regular XP and progression towards song clear goals, I guess), though I wonder if that's part of F2P psychology...

I might end up buying both the mini packs, since (on US Android pricing at least) it's only a bit pricer on a per-gem basis compared to the normal 6-gem pack, but you do get the ticket, gold, and pacas too. And for what I've gotten out of the game so far without paying a cent, I guess I could toss a bit of money their way... from my Google Play Survey rewards stash.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"Only" 2 SSRs, huh? Say that again to those of us who never get anything beyond the guaranteed on 10+1's.
SSRs are about as useful as SRs though. The only difference is that they have more skill slots, but you need to idolize them anyway and I don't think that I'll ever get dupes. lol

------------------

The School Idol Skill system is turning out to be surprisingly fun, probably from its RPG-ishness. The score boxes give you a more immediate sense of progress from just clearing ordinary lives (aside from regular XP and progression towards song clear goals, I guess), though I wonder if that's part of F2P psychology...

I might end up buying both the mini packs, since (on US Android pricing at least) it's only a bit pricer on a per-gem basis compared to the normal 6-gem pack, but you do get the ticket, gold, and pacas too.

Opening random loot boxes will never not set off those endorphins to give you that rush. I've been playing Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade, which is a barely functional game that got released out of Early Access well before it was ready and despite how bad it is at the moment I still play to open their chests.

W-00

There's the $3.50 bundle for the SR or above ticket and some Alpacas and like 5 hearts. Got the SSR Nico out of it.

I did not need to know those existed! Thanks to you, I've just spent real money on an IAP for the first time! Not Google Opinion Rewards money - real money!

I got SSR Nico and SSR Dia.

GoXDS

Yeah I didn't know if there were like special bonus promo campaigns or something - didn't want to spend my 50 gems at the wrong time. As far as girls go, I don't watch the show and I only started playing recently so my loyalties are as yet unfounded.

yea, if you asked before this update, I would've told you to wait. before, guaranteed SR for a 11 pull was only during event in Limited Scouting or outside event so you would've had to wait for those. but even more important was SSR being added and SR rates going up. so before it was 90%/9%/1% but now it's 80%/15%/4%/1% so you're way more likely to get something good.

but now that that's here and now that guaranteed SR is permenant, no worries!

I did not need to know those existed! Thanks to you, I've just spent real money on an IAP for the first time! Not Google Opinion Rewards money - real money!

I got SSR Nico and SSR Dia.

I was getting Google Opinion surveys like almost daily last year, then I replaced my phone and forgot to install the app for a few months and now I get almost no surveys anymore. I'm disappointed since that was good source of Love Live bucks.

Crescent-

Little tip here, I don't have the exact appearance rates but from my experience in JP you can control which score boxes come out (the 1.2/2/4 million ones). They seem to be determined by the score you set when you open the previous box.

For example, the current box is at 1.8 million out of 2 million. If you set a score of 500k to open the box, then the most likely box to appear next is the 2 million one. But if you set a score of 800k+ in a song, then the most likely box to appear next is the 4 million one.

Basically the higher scores you set, the more likely the 4 million box appears, which is more likely to drop better skills as well. Again this is just from my observation, I dunno if this is really how the system work.

GoXDS

Little tip here, I don't have the exact appearance rates but from my experience in JP you can control which score boxes come out (the 1.2/2/4 million ones). They seem to be determined by the score you set when you open the previous box.

For example, the current box is at 1.8 million out of 2 million. If you set a score of 500k to open the box, then the most likely box to appear next is the 2 million one. But if you set a score of 800k+ in a song, then the most likely box to appear next is the 4 million one.

Basically the higher scores you set, the more likely the 4 million box appears, which is more likely to drop better skills as well. Again this is just from my observation, I dunno if this is really how the system work.

that's probably how it works. that's the only way to interpret the notes explaining how Reward Box works. quote: "Better performance means better score, and better score means better chance at getting a Reward Box containing better rewards!"

Crescent-

that's probably how it works. that's the only way to interpret the notes explaining how Reward Box works. quote: "Better performance means better score, and better score means better chance at getting a Reward Box containing better rewards!"

Oh yeah I didn't read the EN changelog yet sorry =_=

800k score from a song is usually enough to get the 4 million boxes, though it's hard to achieve on regular EX except if you have a very good team/SIS, or if the combo is high enough (think Heart to Heart or Magnetic Today).

wut. since when was there a Score ranking? woah, I may actually get to Idolize SSR and UR then?
EDIT: oh. started this past event in JP.

Yeah 5 times tier 1 in score ranks = idolized UR pretty much, though getting into the tier 1 is the problem. I started the event going rank 820, which is then knocked out of tier 1 on the 7th day. Had to remove 3 perfect lock members and replace them with score ups to get back into it while risking breaking combo because of no perfect locks in my team. Doesn't help that Heart to Heart EX is in rotation.

Articalys

Finally going through and using the new, more efficient skill-up system to level up my promo UR skills, and I realized a slight quirk with the new filter tool: previously, when you filtered by "Skill", it just sorted everything strictly by skill level, but now it groups them first by the skill type.
Admittedly, I suppose this does make it more helpful for the casual player to see which cards can level up each other, but since there's no dividers/labels between skills, unless you memorize the order they get sorted in, you still need to skim through the list to find a specific card you want to practice.

And besides, I'm using the schoolido.lu skill-up tracker, which already takes care of the grouping, so it's actually a bit more legwork for me than before.

So guys how are all your depsair draws going,

last night i did a yolo and got SSR lewd swimsuit you(to get the aqours honor scouting gem i think it was) next draw i ended up getting a R you(which is fine, because i'll get a gem back when i idolize her)

so tonight i bought the starter packs for both aqours and µ's. on the aqours side i got cool SR yohane. on the µ's side i got another UR rin, diffrent card tho. so all in all pretty good. and at $3.50 a piece for basically a guaranteed SR and some gems, its not a bad deal

Labrys

last night i did a yolo and got SSR lewd swimsuit you(to get the aqours honor scouting gem i think it was) next draw i ended up getting a R you(which is fine, because i'll get a gem back when i idolize her)

so tonight i bought the starter packs for both aqours and µ's. on the aqours side i got cool SR yohane. on the µ's side i got another UR rin, diffrent card tho. so all in all pretty good. and at $3.50 a piece for basically a guaranteed SR and some gems, its not a bad deal
Bought both starter packs, got SSR Hanayo and UR Riko from them! I had previously done about 4 pulls for Riko prior, ended up with SSR Dia, Mari, Ruby and Hanamaru along side SR Mari and Ruby.

Articalys

Ah shit, I outsmarted myself, got confused by the new systems and accidentally practiced away my starter Honoka. Functionally it doesn't matter, of course, and I had enough spares on hand that I can easily idolize a new one at max level/bond to still have one of everything in my deck as a collector, but now it's forever missing from the start of my chronological ordering of cards, so it's kind of the principle of the thing. A bit depressed, mostly just annoyed with myself. This will probably help me further decouple any sentimentality with the game though.
Also, this means the new earliest card in my deck is the SR Maki I got with my welcome scouting ticket.

Kyonashi

I did the 10+1 honor scouting and got the girl in the kimono with toast in her mouth - that's a good pull right?

What do I do now?

Crescent-

I did the 10+1 honor scouting and got the girl in the kimono with toast in her mouth - that's a good pull right?

What do I do now?

You mean this?

JIidLok.jpg

If yes, then that's an amazing pull since that card's one of the best score up URs in the game. Well you should make her the center of your Pure team and then max bond/level her. Maybe look into idolizing her with seals later on if you have the seals to do it.

Kyonashi

You mean this?

JIidLok.jpg

If yes, then that's an amazing pull since that card's one of the best score up URs in the game. Well you should make her the center of your Pure team and then max bond/level her. Maybe look into idolizing her with seals later on if you have the seals to do it.

Yep that's the one! Good to hear I got a decent card. Already made her my Pure leader, will get to work on max bonding. Don't think I have any seals though, how do you get those?

Anony

just wanted to get my 'math' right
so right now, there's no point in holding on to dup rares
in order to idolize a rare, you need the 2 copies, or 1 sticker
using/selling 1 rare gives you a sticker, so it's the exact equivalent to idolizing via copy without needing to micromanage collecting

Crescent-

Yep that's the one! Good to hear I got a decent card. Already made her my Pure leader, will get to work on max bonding. Don't think I have any seals though, how do you get those?

You get them from selling/practicing away a R/SR/SSR/UR and get their corresponding seals. To idolize a UR, you need 500 R/25 SR/5 SSR/1 UR seal, which takes a long time but worth it if you have a stacked team already. I don't recommend doing this if you don't have a full SR+ team yet.

Also you can get them from events in the future, probably around 1 or 2 more months in EN server since JP just got it last event.

just wanted to get my 'math' right
so right now, there's no point in holding on to dup rares
in order to idolize a rare, you need the 2 copies, or 1 sticker
using/selling 1 rare gives you a sticker, so it's the exact equivalent to idolizing via copy without needing to micromanage collecting

If you're not planning on using the rares in your team and just use them for max bond, then yes. If you're using them in your team then idolizing through another copy unlocks the second skill slot which might come in handy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unless you're new, most people are just getting Rs for the Pokedex. I still cant' bring myself to nuke all my Rs and SRs though...

Unless you're new, most people are just getting Rs for the Pokedex. I still cant' bring myself to nuke all my Rs and SRs though...

If they ain't workin' they're taking up space. Feed them. Idols for the Idol gods!

Right now I'm just using my R's to try to level up skills. I only have Rhythmical Charm at level 8 on the Promo UR Maki, but I have a lot of skills at 6 or 7. And it's nice that you can see the level bar on skills now. Makes skilling up a lot easier since you don't have to worry about getting two cards to the same level.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, the skill leveling is way better now. And yeah, there's absolutely no reason to keep the Rs... it's just sentimental I suppose. lol

elhaym

I whaled on the major update packs. SRs from both 11x, but dupe UR Riko (lolwtfthiscard) from the special blue ticket, UR Nozomi from the 5x blue ticket, and then UR You from the Aqours special blue ticket.....

Yeah, the skill leveling is way better now. And yeah, there's absolutely no reason to keep the Rs... it's just sentimental I suppose. lol

I was keeping Rs for the absolute longest time, but now I'm only keeping the Snow Halation and KiRa KiRa Sensation sets. Well, other than Umi and Eli, I try to keep as many of those as I can but yeah, space became an issue...

GoXDS

@Kyonashi Lol you got a UR on your first pull and you ask if it's good. yes. along with being one of the best scoring UR, UR in general are just too good. largest Leader skill (9%vs R 3%, SR 6%, SSR 7%) so you will always want to have at least one of each color. and then the new secondary leader skill for even more pts. getting that first UR is the single biggest boost your team can get

EDIT: oh, this happened already!? why couldn't I get this to happen before with Harasho )=

Articalys

EDIT: oh, this happened already!? why couldn't I get this to happen before with Harasho )=
Because the Aqours quotes are the new hotness so people are a lot more likely to spam them?

Gotta wait a while for more Aqours cards to come out before you can get the same thing with all Maris, though.

GoXDS

hm? I just noticed there was an option for Live speed. what does it exactly do? something like, notes move slower and also more bunched up?

Anony

so im going thru my cards to decide on what to remove
at first, this card is obvious, i think it's probably one of the weakest smile SRs:
on the closer look, check the skill:
"For every 15000 points scored, there is a 13% chance of increasing players score by 1120 points. (Level 1)"
apparently, this is a very good skill that can snowball your score

someone explaining here

GoXDS

so im going thru my cards to decide on what to remove
at first, this card is obvious, i think it's probably one of the weakest smile SRs:

on the closer look, check the skill:
"For every 15000 points scored, there is a 13% chance of increasing players score by 1120 points. (Level 1)"
apparently, this is a very good skill that can snowball your score

someone explaining here

this is only really relevant in the cases they're describing. so you need to have a really high expected base score and to abuse it really hard, you need the minimum number of cards to retrigger itself.

so personally, I'll get maybe 500k on some of the longer songs. minus about maybe 35k from skill contributions. using that Nico assuming Lvl 1 skill, that's 31 max triggers but at 13% that's expected 4 triggers. 4 triggers is 4*1120 = 4480 pts. not enough to retrigger. compared to say UR Maid Cafe Rin which has expected skill contribution of 4620 (500 note song). so in normal songs, it's still worse

let's move on to Medley. granted I usually used Perfect Lock but so I'll just set score to be around 1.5m base. say it's 1400 notes. Rin gives 12936. Nico would give 13*1120 = 14560. still short of a retrigger. if we factor possible score contributions from the skills of the other cards maybe 7-8 more possible triggers but that's only expected 1 extra trigger. so in a medley you're gaining maybe 2700 pts compared to Rin at the cost of ~(1500/50,000)*1.5m = 45000 (loss of score from base stat). or half that if you're comparing unidolized Rin to Idolized Nico

so tl;dr
only good or worth if all these apply:
1. really strong team and/or multiple idolized versions
2. idolized with 2 extra skill slots unlocked for Skill Score Up (costs 3 Seals from base or 1 dup and 1 seal)
3. it's a Medley where points per note get really high

for F2P, this skill is not relevant

Increases/decreases the speed in which the notes come.Live speed 1 example

Basically higher = more reactionary, lower = more clusterfuck.
ah. yea... I'm having a really hard time processing that. the reason I don't particularly like some other rhythm games. too many notes together that makes it hard to process

Articalys

If anybody does actually want a real translation of them -- such as it is -- /r/SIF will be keeping a list.

Would have been nice if the first comic wasn't a nigh-untranslatable pun in Japanese, though.

Crescent-

so tl;dr
only good or worth if
1. really strong team and/or multiple idolized versions
2. idolized with 2 extra skill slots unlocked for Skill Score Up (costs 3 Seals from base or 1 dup and 1 seal)
3. it's a Medley where scores get really high

for F2P, this is not relevant

This is exactly the way the whales teams are set up the last JP event. Get a Pure UR leader (usually China Kotori) and 8 Cheerleader Umis with 4 skill slots. They get 4 million+ scores even from a non-FC on a pure medley. Klab probably figured out that those types of cards can be abused so they stopped making the score up based on score increase skills since then. Only that Nico, an event Kotori (the cool one holding a syringe idolized) and cheerleader Umi had those types of skills.

ah. yea... I'm having a really hard time processing that. the reason I don't particularly like some other rhythm games. too many notes together that makes it hard to process

You can only read that if you play EZ mod on osu probably. Once you get used to higher speed it's hard turning back. I have an A combo on most hard songs lately because I'm too used to EX/Master speed.

Anony

i have 3 of those cards; honaka (i had 2, and idolized it way back, rip), nico, and kotori
so i can probably get something going there maybe, gotta try it

GoXDS

i have 3 of those cards; honaka (i had 2, and idolized it way back, rip), nico, and kotori
so i can probably get something going there maybe, gotta try it

again, you need to fit all 3 criteria. especially if you're going to use mismatched colors together. the most important criteria is still probably Medley. so you'll have to wait till then to really test it. outside of Medley, you're guaranteed similar if not worse scores

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If anybody does actually want a real translation of them -- such as it is -- /r/SIF will be keeping a list.

Would have been nice if the first comic wasn't a nigh-untranslatable pun in Japanese, though.

I only post accurate translations.

EDIT: Also you can see theirs is a joke translation with the title alone. The original Japanese ends with an exclamation mark and yet their title doesn't, clearly indicating they just made it up.

Anony

pulled this
was hoping for maki, but after all the SHIT PULLS for the past year, i gotta say, 'better than nothing' :(
should i idolize this the regular way, or have 2 ssr idolized via stickers

also, i noticed that when u do autoformation and leave the options unspecified, it doesnt pick the 9 highest points cards anymore; it skips over higher value cards like promo UR cards

GoXDS

pulled this
was hoping for maki, but after all the SHIT PULLS for the past year, i gotta say, 'better than nothing' :(
should i idolize this the regular way, or have 2 ssr idolized via stickers

also, i noticed that when u do autoformation and leave the options unspecified, it doesnt pick the 9 highest points cards anymore; it skips over higher value cards like promo UR cards

should idolize the regular way imo. ehh. iono how appealing having dup idolized is. you're also down more seals

I'm curious, how viable is idolizing Rs through seals instead of duplicates overall? I used to do a regular practice with duplicate cards so I could level up their skill and then just use the seal from that practice to idolize, but it costs so much money to do that so I ran out fairly quickly.

GoXDS

I'm curious, how viable is idolizing Rs through seals instead of duplicates overall? I used to do a regular practice with duplicate cards so I could level up their skill and then just use the seal from that practice to idolize, but it costs so much money to do that so I ran out fairly quickly.

you're never gonna use them in your main team (at least, long term) so, no difference. only reason you'd want to idolize the old way is for extra skill slots

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I never thought about how much it costs because I have like 20 million. lol
But there's no real difference, particularly since it only costs 1 seal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wrote a thing on gacha because I wanted to think about how I play these games:
https://medium.com/cultural-panopti...se-free-to-play-games-a866dce1649a#.yn2zeeid8

I've just been thinking of how fairness and letting go has made me enjoy Love Love despite the fact that I'll probably never get a smile UR. lol

i actually ran out of gold, so i can't use seals to idolize anymore
Once you get all the Ns and Rs, gold just starts piling up. But yeah, it's slow going early on.

Articalys

Yeah, I just checked and I have like, 94 million G right now. Started playing around last March.
Though I'm also obsessive and pretty much almost never waste LP, at least since I got enough that I can drain it before work/sleep and not have it refill all the way until I can play again.
Instead of a money whale, I guess I'm a time whale or something? Or I just have the mindset of "since I'm not paying anything for the game, might as well wring every drop possible of gameplay out of it". With EX songs it only takes like 10 minutes to use up 10 hours of charge anyway.

Firehawk, I'll read through that piece a bit later, but how many games are you currently playing? I know I've seen you in a few mobage threads around here.

-----------------------

In news of Blu-ray sales, Sunshine volume 1 sells 66,745 copies, making it the second place all-time Blu-ray sales for the first week of an anime volume. First place, of course, was volume 1 of Love Live S2.
Also, the Final Live complete BD sold 71,185.
(src)

Jintor

I wrote a thing on gacha because I wanted to think about how I play these games:
https://medium.com/cultural-panopti...se-free-to-play-games-a866dce1649a#.yn2zeeid8

I've just been thinking of how fairness and letting go has made me enjoy Love Love despite the fact that I'll probably never get a smile UR. lol

Once you get all the Ns and Rs, gold just starts piling up. But yeah, it's slow going early on.

I just wanted to shout out that I really enjoyed the read. Keep it up man!

I wish I had motivation to write long articles about things but somehow I can't bring myself to do it if nobody's paying me and I'm too lazy to pitch. :lol :lol :lol

You should pitch this somewhere and then edit. Srsly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Instead of a money whale, I guess I'm a time whale or something? Or I just have the mindset of "since I'm not paying anything for the game, might as well wring every drop possible of gameplay out of it". With EX songs it only takes like 10 minutes to use up 10 hours of charge anyway.
When global gets 4x normal song plays, you'll save even more time. But the whales will be even more fierce. lol

Firehawk, I'll read through that piece a bit later, but how many games are you currently playing? I know I've seen you in a few mobage threads around here.
6. Although technically Kancolle and GBF are browser games that have mobile app interfaces. And I'm only casually playing Aria. Although the fact that I'm still doing 3 versions of Love Live is what really kills my time. lol

I just wanted to shout out that I really enjoyed the read. Keep it up man!

I wish I had motivation to write long articles about things but somehow I can't bring myself to do it if nobody's paying me and I'm too lazy to pitch. :lol :lol :lol

You should pitch this somewhere and then edit. Srsly.
Ah thanks. lol
I honestly don't know how to pitch (or even where), particularly since this is such a niche. If you have any ideas, I'd love to know!

Top Bottom