• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Far Cry 2 - My first Far Cry

keraj37

So as a gamer I heard and red a lot about Far Cry franchise but never really dived into that lore.
I was thinking that time is good for me to jump, and my first choice was Far Cry 2, cos first one is too vintage for my standards and 3 was umh... to expensive ($20) as I spent all my money this month on motorcycle.

I am just 2 hours into the story and I must say I like the game so far.
I am playing it in 4k and of course all the settings maxed out (I have GTX1070).
Game looks quite good for a 11 years old. Here are some shots I made:
A689D18A628907931235BFF08BBCCDFD19B44B0C

AD6D4A840F79B2E357B64297A196CC20DF262CAE

46B2E324D86C7BD9C6D1AB6A47388D38C8A39B17

I would like to ask you guys for advises or information what should I know expect from this game.
Is it okay to go for Far Cry 3 next or should I aim higher?

brap

Banned
The first time I played FC2 was years ago on PS3 when I got it for PS+. Fucking hated it. Years later I played 4 and loved it. If you care about the story I'd say play 3. If you don't skip to 4 for that big open world. Could always come back to 3 like I did.

keraj37

The first time I played FC2 was years ago on PS3 when I got it for PS+. Fucking hated it. Years later I played 4 and loved it. If you care about the story I'd say play 3. If you don't skip to 4 for that big open world. Could always come back to 3 like I did.

I don't care much about a story, but still from what I hear 3 is good. I will finish 2 soon.

And man, it is so hard to treat seriously someone with avatar like yours ;)

controldenied

Neo Member
I loved Far Cry 2. The whole setting in Africa made it unique, but it's not a polished game. Far Cry 3 onwards the games are near perfect. As for which one to play, 3 and 4 are similar, just different settings. Tropical Island or the Himalayas. I think which ever you play first will be the one you prefer. 3 for me, it's a fun game

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
OP, before you go any further in the game

Consider using this mod

It GREATLY enhances the experience in my opinion.

This mod fixes what Ubisoft left unfixed. Dylan's Realism Mod changes Far Cry 2 from an Africa-based sedan and pickup truck simulator into a (semi accurate)
African conflict simulator. Realistic weapon damage, recoil, realistic ammo loads and weapon reliability have been added, along with a more effective stealth suit, and revamped AI weapons. (No more SPAS12s and AR15s for militiamen). Checkpoint AI has been tweaked as well. Checkpoint guards now have a 60% chance to chase you after passing through, as opposed to 90%-100% in vanilla. Militiamen also communicate more frequently in combat, and use suppressing fire more often. However, you are now as vulnerable as the AI. A single burst of rifle fire can kill you, so you are probably going to need that extra ammo and stealth suit.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yes!!! When Far Cry 5 came out I saw a video on all the differences and how the series had just gotten dumber and dumber. It made me check out 2 and to my surprise it was a whole lot of fun. I really like the change in gameplay, and all of the immersive elements like shootable tree limbs and bullet holes in walls. Wonderful game perhaps the best in the series

I would like to ask you guys for advises or information what should I know expect from this game.
Is it okay to go for Far Cry 3 next or should I aim higher?

Be prepared for mindnumbing monotony, the game basically has only one mission you do over and over. Go to handler and get mission, kill people in camp and get diamonds, bring back diamonds to handler. Rinse and repeat 1000 times.
Far Cry 3 and onwards are better in this regard because they have more variety and story development. Though I will give Far Cry 2 credit for having more hardcore game mechanics which makes it more immersive than the other games.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The series goes downhill after 3 (which is both better and worse than 2), so just play 2 & 3 and you will have played the best Far Cry games. Honorable mention goes to Primal. Also, FC 2 has the best fire mechanics, they dialed it back a lot in subsequent releases which always disappointed me.

Last edited:

keraj37

OP, before you go any further in the game

Consider using this mod

It GREATLY enhances the experience in my opinion.

Sorry but I must say I stopped modding games after I spoiled fun of plenty of games for modding it to the sky (Fallout 4 for instance).
No more! I play games as they are made by devs and intended to be.

Be prepared for mindnumbing monotony, the game basically has only one mission you do over and over. Go to handler and get mission, kill people in camp and get diamonds, bring back diamonds to handler. Rinse and repeat 1000 times.
Far Cry 3 and onwards are better in this regard because they have more variety and story development. Though I will give Far Cry 2 credit for having more hardcore game mechanics which makes it more immersive than the other games.

I am at the end part in Far Cry 2 and I must say you are completly right. To much monotony but somehow fun.

The series goes downhill after 3 (which is both better and worse than 2), so just play 2 & 3 and you will have played the best Far Cry games. Honorable mention goes to Primal. Also, FC 2 has the best fire mechanics, they dialed it back a lot in subsequent releases which always disappointed me.

I don't want to start new thread but I just bought Far Cry 3 as I am almost done with Far Cry 2, and I am installing it as I am writing this post.
I hope 3 is better then 2 but so I hear from everywhere.

Last edited:
Far Cry 2 is as fun as you make it. I never got tired of trying random loadouts and having everything go wrong.

The only things Far Cry 3 does better are melee and bows.
Primal is as good as 2 IMO.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
respawning guards was great. compare that to Far Cry 3 where after you liberate all the bases, there is nothing for you to do. at least this keeps you on your toes.

my favorite mechanics is the penetrating bullets. lot of fun to have a shootout and have to keep moving cos that rusted old car isn't going to withstand all that machine gun fire.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

The most hardcore of the series.

After 2 it all become comedy villains, climbing towers and x-ray vision.

Anyone else feel that if you played 3 you played 4 and 5?

keraj37

I am like 5h into Far Cry 3, and I must say this game is improvement on every level - the terrain liberation, hunting and crafting, car driving model (feels like car simulator to the degree), shooting, takedowns, marking enemies and tactics, visuals look better the crysis 1, quest types and many more.

In short this game feels like a prefect AAA game.

I am not coming back to Far Cry 2, even if I am at 70% of main quest completion - I just lost interest after playing 3.

Those fucking respawning checkpoints (combined with weapon/ammo scarcity) just made me give up because I wasn't having fun. Wanted to like it--maybe one day I'll give it another shot.

keraj37

Just wait til you see that second island

Unfortunately I lost interest in Far Cry 3 just before seeing second island - game is good, however I got all weapons all items already in possession and I was bored with all mini games. Maybe one day I will go back to it.

But...

I just bought Far Cry 5 and am installing it as we speak. I skipped 4th installment for now coz I just am impressed a lot with how this game looks and I heard from some people that this might be finally the first Far Cry I finish due to great and diversified gameplay.

pWtwmBE.png

Top Bottom