• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna the golden country

gela94

I just finished Torna after a year and god what an awesome addon, I would say I even liked it better than the main game. First I prefered the relatively small number of blades, much easier to connect and bond with them. The characters are all pretty great and likeable, just Hugo could have been a bit more developed.
Characterdesigns are pretty awesome especially Lora and Addam:

7tRE1pr.png

MwCLSWh.jpg

Story wise was it a bit confusing to me because it was kinda long ago that I finished the main game, so I was fuzzy about some stuff but that's my own fault. I loved the kinda haunting, melancolic atmosphere and that leads me to one of the best things of the game, the music.
The OST in this game but also the main game is so freaking beautiful. I really don't know how they manage to get the music so right. My favorite is that one:

My only critique would be that the bossfight was super easy and I wasn't this highleveled, some normal enemies were more difficult than Malos but the mechanic of who gets their bar first full was nice.
Also I seriously can't remember what happened to Malos between torna and the maingame, I also would have liked a short scene of Jin and Lora living together and having this orphanage or something.
But all in all it was one of the best RPG experiences I had.

P.S. This addon made me dislike Mythra even more . .. .she is too tsundere for me
But I liked this new design, a bit more classy
SITzFZZ.jpg

Ma-Yuan

Loved it but was to short and if you know the main game you know pretty much know the end ; ; Hope to get an XC3 announced by next year or XCX2 :D

gela94

Loved it but was to short and if you know the main game you know pretty much know the end ; ; Hope to get an XC3 announced by next year or XCX2 :D

Yeah but knowing the end can also be a good thing because of this foreboding feeling but yes I'm excited about any new Monolithsoft announcement.

Daymos

It's one of the first DLC story packs that I've ever finished. The thing that shocked me the most about it was the quality of the music, DLC music that is better than the main game(which is also great..)!

Verdanth

Didn't played it. Lost to many hours in the main game.

The gameplay is very good, but the rest it's missable.

Currently going through XC2 (60 hours in) after not getting into it at launch. It's really grown on me, I love the battle system and the amount of stuff you have to manage. Having said that, Torna looks really interesting, mostly for the fact it's a more streamlined experience. I'll definitely be picking it up when I'm done with the main game.

What I really want is an XCX port or XCX2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Currently going through XC2 (60 hours in) after not getting into it at launch. It's really grown on me, I love the battle system and the amount of stuff you have to manage. Having said that, Torna looks really interesting, mostly for the fact it's a more streamlined experience. I'll definitely be picking it up when I'm done with the main game.

What I really want is an XCX port or XCX2.
I would say I like Torna combat system more, especially you can switch between blade and user.

YukiOnna

Torna is such a good DLC. The gameplay alterations. especially being able to play as Blades (finally get to play as Hikari/Mythra!) was something I was missing from the main game. The story is quite welcome as it adds further depth to the likes of Jin and Hikari/Mythra.

Jin's such a good character.

Danjin44

Torna is such a good DLC. The gameplay alterations. especially being able to play as Blades (finally get to play as Hikari/Mythra!) was something I was missing from the main game. The story is quite welcome as it adds further depth to the likes of Jin and Hikari/Mythra.

Jin's such a good character.
This the type of DLC I will gladly support. This was a fantastic DLC on already complete game.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I would say I like Torna combat system more, especially you can switch between blade and user.
Yeah, I always found it weird YOU fought while your stand...er blade stood behind you outside certain attacks. Specially in the beginning when Homura is doing action girl shit against Malos...only for you to switch to Rex.

Danjin44

Yeah, I always found it weird YOU fought while your stand...er blade stood behind you outside certain attacks. Specially in the beginning when Homura is doing action girl shit against Malos...only for you to switch to Rex.
Very true, I wish this was combat system we got in the main game. I would have love to play as the blades we got in the main game.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Very true, I swish this was combat system we got in the main game. I would have love to play as the blades we got in the main game.
I think they did this to save time on animations. I hope XC3 lets me use blades and not the other way around.

Fbh

I finished this not too long ago. Thought it was good but I did have my issues with it.

I liked the improved combat and how blades have a more active role this time around. Also, considering this was a shorter experience I think having the blades be fixed was the right decision, and it definitely made me actually enjoy field skills instead of be annoyed by them

Music was great too.
I really like the new Gormott theme:

The one in the original game felt like it was trying to go for that "Gaur Plains" feel while not quite nailing. But this time around it has more of a unique style which I think fits better.

I didn't like the big focus on sidequests though. IMO sidequests have never been a particular strong point of this franchise so having an expansion that puts a lot of focus on them wasn't that exciting.
And overall I guess I was expecting a bit more from the story. In the flashbacks during the core game I got the impression the first "war" against Malos was this big epic adventure but apparently it was mostly them doing favors and menial tasks for random people. The couple of times where it did indeed feel like a large war (one point around the middle and then the entire end segment) were great though

Danjin44

I finished this not too long ago. Thought it was good but I did have my issues with it.

I liked the improved combat and how blades have a more active role this time around. Also, considering this was a shorter experience I think having the blades be fixed was the right decision, and it definitely made me actually enjoy field skills instead of be annoyed by them

Music was great too.
I really like the new Gormott theme:

The one in the original game felt like it was trying to go for that "Gaur Plains" feel while not quite nailing. But this time around it has more of a unique style which I think fits better.

I didn't like the big focus on sidequests though. IMO sidequests have never been a particular strong point of this franchise so having an expansion that puts a lot of focus on them wasn't that exciting.
And overall I guess I was expecting a bit more from the story. In the flashbacks during the core game I got the impression the first "war" against Malos was this big epic adventure but apparently it was mostly them doing favors and menial tasks for random people. The couple of times where it did indeed feel like a large war (one point around the middle and then the entire end segment) were great though

I kind of do agree with side quest, it slow down the pace for no good reason but I really liked the story, especially the reason why Hikari turn in to Homura.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I really enjoyed the combat updates and story. Hitting the side quest wall and having things slow down while completing those is my only complaint.

YukiOnna

It was cool for the story aspect, but it also reminded me of why I never liked XCX lmao. That mandatory exploration to progress was frustrating me- at least it wasn't as bad.

Andyliini

Gold Member
One of the best DLC'e ever made, for one of the best gsmes ever made. I loved the base game, as I did Torna. Hopefully we'll hear about Monolith Softs next project soon.

Danjin44

It was cool for the story aspect, but it also reminded me of why I never liked XCX lmao. That mandatory exploration to progress was frustrating me- at least it wasn't as bad.
My biggest reason why I didn’t liked XCX as much as XC1&2 even tho I LOVE mechs because it felt Monolith Softs was originally wanted make MMORPG with that game but decided not to in end, but still kept MMO parts in the game.

nicktwilight

Neo Member
Playing it now and enjoying at as much if more than the original.Monolith are truly experts in building interesting and beautifull worlds to explore.So glad Nintendo listened to fans and brought the first xenoblade to the rest of the world.So many great gaming moments in these series.Each instalment is one of the biggest reasons to own their systems.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It’s in my list of games as soon as I finish Octopath Traveler and Spider Man. Glad to hear it lives up to Xenoblade 2. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find it on sale.

gela94

It's one of the first DLC story packs that I've ever finished. The thing that shocked me the most about it was the quality of the music, DLC music that is better than the main game(which is also great..)!
Yeah the music is really outstanding.

Top Bottom