• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LtttP: Doctor Who (Ninth and 10th Doctors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
EcclestonAlt.png

My fiancee is a HUGE Doctor Who fan and has been trying to get me to watch the show for months. I've known of the 2005 relaunch for quite a while -- including back when Matt Smith was introduced and just about everyone on this board had a Doctor Who avatar at some point -- but never really paid much attention. I used to catch the old shows on re-run on rare occasion, but never paid much attention. After I made her watch Game of Thrones and she subsequently loved it, she said it was only fair I try Doctor Who. Needless to say, I'm glad I did.

The Doctors

Ninth Doctor: I know it's an extremely controversial statement, but I preferred Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor. He didn't have as much to work with, as Russel T. Davies seemed to be trying to find his groove with the first season. But I still liked his slightly darker and edgier character. The little glimpses into his past with the Time War were great. I've been a fan of Eccleston for years and he's usually the best part of a lot of really shitty programming. He really seemed to balance the darker, brooding character with the more jovial and fun-loving Doctor really well, despite some pretty weak scripts. It's a shame he only stuck around for the one season.

10th Doctor: That's not to say the 10th Doctor was bad. I've seen David Tennant in Broadchurch and Fright Night, so I was kind of surprised to see a bit more of a jovial Doctor. He had much better material to work with and the chemistry between he and Billie Piper's Rose Tyler was so much better than Eccleston. I really wasn't sold on him at first because I liked Eccleston so much. It really took about a half a season for me to finally accept him and really appreciate the character he brought. I have to say the 10th Doctor is much more layered and really felt like a better character. I guess my appreciation for Eccleston is more because of the actor.

The Companions

Rose Tyler: I get she was the first companion and really the most "important" in a lot of ways. But man, I really didn't care for Piper or for Rose Tyler at all. I was more of a fan of Mickey than her. She did improve a bit, though, going from an annoying self-absorbed teenager to a bit more relatable character. Really didn't like the relationship they were trying to force between her and the Doctor. It just came off as so hollow. Part of that had to do with the lack of chemistry between Piper and Eccleston, but the relationship still felt pretty lackluster. I was extremely underwhelmed when she was transported to the alternate dimension and it was supposed to be this extremely gut wrenching moment.

Mickey: While I'm not really a fan of where they took his character -- at least up until the last episodes I saw, where he's a "freelancer" and married -- I still liked him. He always felt like a tag along and I thought he played that up really well, even if the romance between he and Rose wasn't all that well developed. Still, an entertaining character.

Captain Jack Harkness: My first exposure to him was when I watched Torchwood Miracle Day, so when he showed up in World War II London as a time traveler, I was really shocked. But his character -- albeit a bit on heavy on the American stereotype -- was extremely entertaining and I always looked forward to his appearances. I thought he played off well with both Doctors. I think I'll go back and watch Torchwood after I'm caught up so I can continue his adventures.

Martha Jones: I really was not impressed with her character in the early episodes. She just came off extremely annoying. And then they tried to force another relationship between a companion and the Doctor. I was screaming at the TV on several instances, lamenting how writers often have such a difficult time having an opposite sex pairing that's not falling in love with each other. But she improved as the show went along and I liked how they continued to bring her back. While they tried to push Rose as some sort of savior, I really felt Martha was the most naturally developed by joining UNIT.

Donna Noble: Now we come to my favorite companion, Doctor Donna. For once, we didn't have a companion trying to fall in love with the Doctor. She wasn't some damsel in distress, like Rose was a lot of the time. She was capable and mouthy with a great attitude. I'm not going to lie, I got some serious feels with how they handled her character in the end. It was so tragic and so well written. She's probably my favorite character in the whole show, up to this point.

Favorite Episodes

Season 1, Dalek: Aside from The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances, this was my favorite episode of the Eccleston season. It really gave some levity to the Daleks and made them something more than just faceless, evil creatures. I also like how it brought out some of the darkness and guilt in the Ninth Doctor. It's certainly one of the few episodes where the Daleks -- even if it's just one -- felt like a true, frightening enemy. As the show went along, they really just become jokes. I remarked to my fiancee, they seemed to treat the Daleks in the early seasons like the Borg in Star Trek Voyager. It's hard to fear when they show up when they've become such jokes.

Season 1, Father's Day: It's not that remarkable of an episode, but having lost my father, I really empathized with Rose. The one thing that made her a bearable character in the first season is her sadness over not having her father. This episode brought that to a forefront and I really enjoyed it. Then it all went to shit with later episodes and the alternate dimension.

Season 2, The Impossible Planet/Satan's Pit: For some reason, I kept getting Dead Space vibes from this, I guess due to the possession aspects of it. Really liked the two-part episode and the introduction of the Ood. I liked the episodes throughout the show that deal with alien entities that aren't really explained.

Season 3, Human Nature/The Family of Blood: I really didn't care for the first half of this two-parter, but the second half really made up for it and helped me appreciate the story as a whole. A friend of mine, who watched these recently, hated it and said it was "anti-war," which I guess it was in a way. But I still liked how it delved into the Doctor's character a bit more and teased what his life would be as a human. That montage of John Smith growing old and having a family was truly touching. But man, when the Doctor got pissed, that was scary. Throwing someone into a collapsing star? Trapping someone in a mirror? Damn. I loved Son of Mine's monologue:

He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing... the fury of the Time Lord... and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind... He wrapped my father in unbreakable chains forged in the heart of a dwarf star. He tricked my mother into the event horizon of a collapsing galaxy. To be imprisoned there... forever. He still visits my sister, once a year, every year. I wonder if one day he might forgive her... but there she is. Can you see? He trapped her inside a mirror. Every mirror. If ever you look at your reflection and see something move behind you just for a second, that's her. That's always her. As for me, I was suspended in time and the Doctor put me to work standing over the fields of England as their protector. We wanted to live forever. So the Doctor made sure we did.

There's too many to name in season four. I especially loved the finale because it at least made the Daleks seem formidable again. And it was nice to see all the previous companions come back for one last adventure. As I said, it was still a shame to see what happened to Donna. That was perhaps the most gut wrenching moment of the whole series, up until the end.

The Post Season 4 Specials

I really didn't think I was going to like these. Most of the Christmas specials weren't that interesting. But after losing Donna, the specials really showed a different side of the Doctor and one that really made me appreciate Tennant's take on him much more. The Next Doctor was the weakest of the much, but still touching in its own way. Though I think it got a bit ridiculous with the giant Jaeger-sized Cyber Man walking around Victorian London. Planet of the Dead reminded me a lot of Pitch Black and still was a nice one-off episode. But it was the last two -- The Waters of Mars and the End of Time -- that I loved the most and were probably my favorite 2+ hours of Doctor Who. Seeing the Doctor face and accept his own mortality was a great idea from the writers. Tennant nailed it amazingly and the performance of John Simm as The Master was brilliant.

I'm still confused on the whole timeline aspect of how the Time War is locked out of time, but is still concurrently happening and how the Time Lords are alive, but stuck in time and all of that. But it was great to see the amazing Timothy Dalton show up, even if he did go out pretty weak. I was actually expecting him to make it out -- hoping Ood Sigma would be wrong. But then when Wilfred knocked four times, my heart sank. I liked Wilfred. He was always a great character and he really accented Donna's character a lot. So I didn't want to see him die. But I knew it was coming and seeing the Doctor who back and visit all of his old companions was just the topping on the cake. If the show had ended there, it would have been a perfect finale.

Though, I say that without having seen the 11th Doctor Yet. So I'm going to start on those soon. I've seen a couple episodes of Matt Smith's Doctor and I'm not really a fan. I just hope he has that same balance of humor with the emotion behind it. And damn you, Davies, why did you have to end Tennant's run with that heart wrenching line?

I56I6N3.gif

ibyea

Banned
Heh, those were my favorite episodes too. Although I would include Blink and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.

With Season 8 now on Netflix, I wanted to rewatch it (as well as the second half of Season 7), but I find myself watching the Eccleston episodes again for the first time in years. I do love him as The Doctor, wish he could've done another season, or at least shown up for The Day of the Doctor.

JdFoX187

Banned
With Season 8 now on Netflix, I wanted to rewatch it (as well as the second half of Season 7), but I find myself watching the Eccleston episodes again for the first time in years. I do love him as The Doctor, wish he could've done another season, or at least shown up for The Day of the Doctor.

I've heard different accounts of what happened and he always seems to beat around the bush, so does anyone know why he left so quickly and hasn't been back?

Savitar

I'm probably one of the few people that want a sudden end to a doctor instead of the big farewells we tend to get nowadays to pull heart strings. I like the aspect of a tragic death all of a sudden forcing him to change, seemed to happen a lot in the older show. You picked good episodes and I agree about the first part of the two parter being sorta meh. I actually credit the end with really making the second part work.

As for the time thing....honestly, if you try to make sense of history as straight flowing time line in Doctor Who you will end up with paradoxes and worse. Especially if you count the old episodes. Basically everything is fluid and things change be it presents/futures or what have you. Somehow though people remember certain things and not others. The Doctor doing so can easily understand but how normal people like Unit does is questionable......but as I said try to make sense of it and you'll go mad.

Ninth Doctor: I know it's an extremely controversial statement, but I preferred Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor.
I don't think that's really that controversial. Eccleston's a great Doctor.

the End of Time -- that I loved the most and were probably my favorite 2+ hours of Doctor Who.

much more controversial. End of Time is hot garbage.

Savitar

I've heard different accounts of what happened and he always seems to beat around the bush, so does anyone know why he left so quickly and hasn't been back?

The first season was a bit of a mess as they tried to figure out what they were doing, funny, serious, somewhere between. It took time for them to work it out, for a guy like him that's probably going to rub him the wrong way. He wants to do his job without any fuss. There was a director who majorly pissed him off as well big time. That seemed to be the clincher.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Now might be a good time to return - all the Matt Smith astronaut River Song bullshit made me quit but I do miss the show.

Is it back to a true anthology show? Where do I start post Smith?

he says:

"I’d had enough. I wanted to do it my way, they wanted something else. We were never going to compromise so it was best to be straight about it and just go […] It’s very easy to stay in one job and make that your comfort zone, and I want to resist that temptation.”

and

"I’m still there in spirit. Myself and three individuals at the very top of the pyramid clashed, so off I went. But they are are not here to say their side of it, so I’m not going to go into details."

http://screenrant.com/doctor-who-reason-why-christopher-eccleston-left-season-2/

Fireblend

Banned
I don't mind Tenant's drawn out final episode. The melodramatic good bye scenes fit well with the person he'd become, he'd let himself become so much like a human that to his particular Doctor iteration regenerating was pretty much the same as dying, his identity meant too much to him.

Anyway, I recognize Moffat's shortcomings but I'm a huge fan of 11th, River, Amy, Clara and all the rest. The 5th series is so good. You're in for a treat OP.

Tenant's best is Midnight btw.

jgwhiteus

I was introduced to Doctor Who a few years ago and quickly went through seasons 1-4. Like you, Donna Noble was my favorite companion, for the reasons you stated - she was treated as an equal and counterpoint to the Doctor, was never afraid or overly awed by him and was able to ground him, and displayed a good mix of humor and pathos. I kind of hated the ultimate fate they gave Donna, though - seemed almost cruel given the journey(s) she went through. I thought both Eccleston and Tennant did great jobs, and was sad to see both of them leave.

I tried to continue watching the series with Matt Smith, but despite liking some of the actors / characters (Rory in particular as great), I just lost interest over time and thought the writing was a bit of a mess - even though Steven Moffat wrote some of my individual favorite episodes in series 1-4 (Blink, Forest of the Dead, the Girl in the Fireplace), I just didn't find his stint as showrunner to be as compelling - too much "cleverness", not enough real emotion. I also think there's some valid criticism about how female characters like River Song, Amy, Clara, etc. are treated as "mysteries", "puzzle boxes" and "impossible girls" rather than just grounded characters with internal lives.

I think I last left off somewhere in Season 6 or 7; maybe I'll try to catch up one day.

The 9th and 10th Doctor are so great, but I so fell in love with Tenant's Doctor, that after this scene happened...

Though, I say that without having seen the 11th Doctor Yet. So I'm going to start on those soon. I've seen a couple episodes of Matt Smith's Doctor and I'm not really a fan. I just hope he has that same balance of humor with the emotion behind it. And damn you, Davies, why did you have to end Tennant's run with that heart wrenching line?

I56I6N3.gif

I haven't watched Doctor Who since. Too heart broken.

Mickey: While I'm not really a fan of where they took his character -- at least up until the last episodes I saw, where he's a "freelancer" and married -- I still liked him. He always felt like a tag along and I thought he played that up really well, even if the romance between he and Rose wasn't all that well developed. Still, an entertaining character.

He is the worst. His dialogue is terribly delivered as if he doesn't know what emotion is.

"Fing is I'mgonnastayyeh." Gross.

Also I'm with you OP, Ecclestone is best Who.

363.gif

Dryk

Now might be a good time to return - all the Matt Smith astronaut River Song bullshit made me quit but I do miss the show.

12's first season (8th) is about as tied together as 1-5 are. 6 was where most of that stuff was contained, though Season 7.5 has another, smaller, less interesting mystery running through it.

Boogie9IGN

Man I kinda hated Eccleston until the second half of his season but I loved Tennant right away. Matt Smith took a few eps to grow on me but by the end of The Time of the Doctor I loved him almost as much as Tennant.

Damn you OP, time for a rewatch

Alphahawk

I would actually say the last half of season 6 actually has some great stand alone episodes, but yeah the interconnectedness of the first half definitely makes it one of the weakest yet. Season 7 and 8 are straight "Monster of the week" episodes though. I just think of Season 6 as a prolonged miniseries.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
12's first season (8th) is about as tied together as 1-5 are. 6 was where most of that stuff was contained, though Season 7.5 has another, smaller, less interesting mystery running through it.

I would actually say the last half of season 6 actually has some great stand alone episodes, but yeah the interconnectedness of the first half definitely makes it one of the weakest yet. Season 7 and 8 are straight "Monster of the week" episodes though. I just think of Season 6 as a prolonged miniseries.

sweet, i'll rotate some episodes back in - thanks!

Ah, I love reading newcomer impressions of Doctor Who. Make sure you do carry on with the Smith and Capaldi stuff, OP; it's often a very different show under Moffat, and your opinions may vary as to whether it's better or worse, but there's a hell of a lot of interesting and ambitious stuff in there.

Also, feel free to pop into WhoGAF if you regularly want to chat about the show. We don't (often) bite!

As for favourite RTD episode: still Gridlock, I'm afraid. Absolutely unparalleled in terms of world building, setpieces and themes.

If you want more-or-less standalone episodes in Series 6, these fit the bill (bolded are classics):

The Curse of the Black Spot
The Doctor's Wife (not what you'd think)
Night Terrors
The Girl Who Waited
The God Complex

After that, they deliberately moved away from an overarching story, with only the second half of series 7 having a light one that doesn't take up too much time, and series 8's basically talking up thirty seconds every other episode. We're firmly back to anthology now, although that is changing next series- they're bringing back two-parters for series 9, with them mostly having been absent since series 6.

genjiZERO

Having rewatched them recently I have to say I prefer Eccleston too. He actually tries to problem solve as opposed to just knowing everything. He also has a lot more chemistry with his companions. The writing is better under Tennant though.

Edit:

If you don't like Tennant you probably won't like Smith because it's the same thing, but with much worse writing. The show takes a qualitative dive overall when that hack Moffat took over. Might want to start on Classic Who which is leagues better than the reboot.

Tregard

Soothsayer
RTD's writing style in the overall series gels with me so much better than Moffat. Donna is still my absolute favourite character in Doctor Who, I think Turn Left might be the episode I've watched most just from what a stellar performance Tate puts in.

If I was to give my favourite episode from each series:

1. Bad Wolf - Very strange episode concept which is probably why I love it so much (huge fan of gameshows), very cheesy and shows the growing pains of the series, but I love it none the less

2. The Girl in the Fireplace - Absolute Tour de Force of an episode, the setting, characters and story pacing are all pitch perfect, works fantastically as a standalone. How I still wish Madame Du Pompadour had been able to see those stars just once.

3. Blink - Classic choice, pretty much defined what a Doctor-Lite story should be like. Equal parts eerie and clever, with some genuinely terrifying scenes. The Weeping Angels have never had as much impact as in this episode, and the DVD Easter Egg scene is phenomenal ("But I can hear you"). In a perfect world, Sally Sparrow would be our next companion.

4. Turn Left - Even with all the great episodes of series 4, Catherine Tate blows me away in this episode. Doesn't stand as well on it's own as the others, but has some lovely call backs and plays the alternate future angle superbly.

Specials. Waters of Mars - Tennant's "I am a god" speech is incredible.

ShamePain

Banned
Hope you've enjoyed it, the shows went in a downward spiral once Moffat took over and became a dumb kiddy show, with the latest season being completely garbage.

Hope you've enjoyed it, the shows went in a downward spiral once Moffat took over and became a dumb kiddy show, with the latest season being completely garbage.

Haha don't listen to this ironically garbage statement. Matt Smith's Doc blends emotion and humour brilliantly, if that's what you're looking for.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Human Nature/Family of Blood has been slightly forgotten imo because it was in the same series as Blink, but it's easily one of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever. John Smith choosing to kill himself to protect his friends ;_; and then Joan rebuking the Doctor after losing her love and (rightfully) blaming him for the events ;_;

ShamePain

Banned
Haha don't listen to this ironically garbage statement. Matt Smith's Doc blends emotion and humour brilliantly, if that's what you're looking for.

It all ties pretty excellent with Ecclestone being the best actor out of the new bunch, with Tennant having half the range that he has, Smith having half the range of Tennant and Capaldi showing zero range or acting ability.

It all ties pretty excellent with Ecclestone being the best actor out of the new bunch, with Tennant having half the range that he has, Smith having half the range of Tennant and Capaldi showing zero range or acting ability.

I don't even understand how you've watched Series 8 and can be saying that? They're different characters, doesn't mean he has "zero acting ability". Wow.

Having rewatched them recently I have to say I prefer Eccleston too. He actually tries to problem solve as opposed to just knowing everything. He also has a lot more chemistry with his companions. The writing is better under Tennant though.

Edit:

If you don't like Tennant you probably won't like Smith because it's the same thing, but with much worse writing. The show takes a qualitative dive overall when that hack Moffat took over. Might want to start on Classic Who which is leagues better than the reboot.

What the what. I don't enjoy the direction Moffat took with Doctor Who after season 5 (although I think the latest season was great), but season 5 was great and much more consistent than the season before that.

Capaldi zero range or acting ability? Errrr...no.

Again I don't get how someone can consider Smith and Tennant's Doctors "the same". It reeks of you watching his regeneration at the end of "End of Time" and making a decision.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Midnight was great too, and showed that when he wanted to RTD could write punchy, scary stories just as well as Moffat.

ShamePain

Banned
I don't even understand how you've watched Series 8 and can be saying that? They're different characters, doesn't mean he has "zero acting ability". Wow.

He's playing himself, not a character. It's a badly written season from start to finish, can't even recall a single episode and I watched it fairly recently. And that finale, lol, hilariously dumb and unsatisfying. Plus I was hoping they finally ditch Clara but apparently the brick face girl is coming back for another season, how tragic.

RangerX

Banned
I dunno, I'm of the opinion that old Who has been completely buried by NuWjo rather than rekindling interest like you would expect to happen. Anytime someone asks me should they watch Doctor Who I always recommend they start with the older doctors because if they start with NuWho they will never go back. Always funny aswell when I hear people describe themselves as huge fans and have never seen the first eight doctors. Anyway McGann or Troughton for best doctor.

Pilgrimzero

I have all these friends and family who didn't start watching Who until Smith thus they favor him.

I make sure to point out that Tennant is the best Doctor.

ShamePain

Banned
I dunno, I'm of the opinion that old Who has been completely buried by NuWjo rather than rekindling interest like you would expect to happen. Anytime someone asks me should they watch Doctor Who I always recommend they start with the older doctors because if they start with NuWho they will never go back. Always funny aswell when I hear people describe themselves as huge fans and have never seen the first eight doctors. Anyway McGann or Troughton for best doctor.

It's mostly because the earlier shows weren't taking themselves even half seriously, had cringeworthy writing and acting. It's just hard to take anything seriously when the acting is about on par with The Room.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I have all these friends and family who didn't start watching Who until Smith thus they favor him.

I make sure to point out that Tennant is the best Doctor.

i preferred smith tbh, it's a shame that the scripts were on a decline through his tenure

It's mostly because the earlier shows weren't taking themselves even half seriously, had cringeworthy writing and acting. It's just hard to take anything seriously when the acting is about on par with The Room.

it has ups and downs. for all the naff stuff there's also stuff like Pyramids of Mars which is still great.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i just got into the "new" series last year having grown up in the US with limited exposure to classic Doctor Who. i think the biggest thing holding back interest in the older entries is just being able to acquire it. Maybe theres just no demand but even if you wanted where would you go to watch Tom Bakers stuff?

genjiZERO

What the what. I don't enjoy the direction Moffat took with Doctor Who after season 5 (although I think the latest season was great), but season 5 was great and much more consistent than the season before that.

I'm talking about the overall consistency, but series 5's finale is complete illogical rubbish, and I'd rather watch Bob Baker and Perry argue about nothing for an hour than have to sit through that noise again.

What are you talking about? Classic Who is like classic literature compared to that plebeian bullshit that's the show now. Except for Bob Baker. And (non audio series) Paul MacGann.

uktv-patrick-troughton.jpg

The motherfucking Michael Jordan of Doctor Who.

R9ZENTm.gif

classic lit 101 right here

Very funny.

Personally I think the classic series is superior for a number of reasons but the biggest reason is that it was much more daring. It made new stories and twists. Nu Who is content to just reference the cool stuff the old series did.

Very funny.

Personally I think the classic series is superior for a number of reasons but the biggest reason is that it was much more daring. It made new stories and twists. Nu Who is content to just reference the cool stuff the old series did.

I think the RTD years were very daring, to be honest, just in a very 21st century way. Moffat's years have fallen into a formula which works for them more - the template set by RTD, which was daring then but then worked and stuck as a result - but I really do think it was very daring, at its most daring, perhaps the most daring it ever was apart from 1963 and 1966 - in 2005 and 2006.

ALSO: Series 3 for best series. A lot of people like to shit on that finale and the Dalek episodes, but LOOK at it. Gridlock, RTD's best. Human Nature/The Family of Blood, the best two-parter to grace the series. Blink - Moffat's finest. Utopia - pressure & the best 'twist reveal' the show has done. And even Smith & Jones, which I think is by far the best companion introduction they've done.

There's some nasty pits for the Daleks and the finale, but the average quality of Series 3 is really something else. Even the filler sort of episodes - Lazarus (which has aged poorly due to the CGI baddie, admittedly), 42 (brilliant), The Shakespeare Code (silly fun, great characterisation of Shakespeare) are above the average I think. I'll even make the case - Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords are great episodes up until the botched conclusion, and the Dalek two-parter is quite possibly the second most interesting Dalek story from a character development/philosophical standpoint for the Daleks after only Genesis.

Boem

Always surprised by how big the split is between people either loving the RTD era (Eccleston and Tennant) and hating Moffat (Smith and Capaldi) and people who believe the opposite.

For me, I always liked the concept of the show when it came back in 2005 (I had only seen a couple of Douglas Adams Tom Baker stories before this), but I always felt it never lived up to it's potential during Eccleston's/Tennant's years. Outside of some good episodes/moments it felt far too schmaltzy, and almost every episode was resolved by someone pressing a magic button when it was time for the story to end. I like Eccleston and Tennant as Doctors, but I felt that the writing, for the most part, was pretty crap.

I much, much prefer Moffat's era. He's not perfect by any means, but I see series 5 as a bona fide BBC classic. Series 6 was still entertaining (and not half as difficult to follow as people are claiming - all you need to do is pay attention), but I did feel that there was a big drop in quality in series 7. It became a bit too pleased with itself, the same problem Sherlock had after a while. Series 8 was great again though.

But yeah, as others have said, classic series is the real deal. Although I never could get into the post-Tom Baker Doctors. The 80s were tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom