• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macron Campaign Emails Hacked and Posted Online

uSeSlKw.png

STOP BEING SO MEAN TO RUSSIA!

Russia, the bastion of fair play and open democratic elections... what did they do to deserve such treatment?!

Xando

German elections are gonna be a shitshow with russians already known to have hacked the Bundestag last year.

mo60

As a matter of fact the Macron team was one of the better prepared against hacking during the election, they had specific training for all the members against phishing, and instructions not to communicate strategic information through emails. But then nothing is foolproof.
They already filed a complaint for interference in the electoral process after the fake documents about an offshore account, I guess that leak will be added to the file.

Yeah. It's going to be added to the pile. Whoever found this stuff probably has to worry a bit

Disgusting. The only redeeming factor is that maybe the French and American authorities can work together and gather some more intel on this kind of operation.

Man, I really hope our French neighbours won't be as easily manipulated as the UK/US voters.

That said, looking forward to all those leaks coming in this fall in Germany.

The good thing is, though, that all those leaks have "from Russia with love" written all over them, and thanks to Trump, everyone's well aware of that.

Xando

Yeah it won't be pretty. Luckily AfD are slowly circling the toilet bowl, hopefully they'll be below 5%.
They'll probably get above 5% but i'll take that over the 15% they had a year ago
But no one likes AfD anymore.
Putin doesn't care about the AFD. He wants destabilization and distrust in the system.
SVR has already test run fake news stories last year(like that alleged rape of a russian girl) and were quite successful.

Ac30

Disgusting. The only redeeming factor is that maybe the French and American authorities can work together and gather some more intel on this kind of operation.

Isn't it incredible how a non-state actor can now swing elections with the power of social media? What a time to be alive.

Terrifying.

4chan is trying to link search terms by repeating them over and over in posts, but in English.
They are also linking madly to stories positive and negative about the hack to raise the profile of the keywords.
They are following then Clinton email SEO/meme/news playbook.

Google still has no defense against a determined group pushing things up-rank and subverting news.

It's too late however as a demonstration of how to weaponise data it should be studied.

Busty

Banned
Oh good, now we can finally find out the truth about Macron and that former teacher of his that he's married to..., zzzzzz.

Seriously, if there's one country in the world where a former banker, who's never been elected to office before, can marry one of his former school teachers (rumours, rumours rumours) and still run for office it's France.

I like how Russia is silently shaping our political landscape without even paying a blood price to do it.

We should of done that instead of invading places, huh.

Seriously man, we should first of all bum rush the fuck out of them in the Ukraine for starters.

But it's bullshit, the kind of effect they are having, people used to go to war for that kind of change. Now it's botnets, hacks, metadata and reinforcing personal bias' wtf is this nonsense.

Ac30

4chan is trying to link search terms by repeating them over and over in posts, but in English.
They are also linking madly to stories positive and negative about the hack to raise the profile of the keywords.

Google still has no defense against a determined group pushing things up-rank and subverting news.

It's too late however as a demonstration of how to weaponise data it should be studied.

Thank God the alt-reich only speaks English

Isn't it incredible how a non-state actor can now swing elections with the power of social media? What a time to be alive.

Terrifying.

This isn't a non-state actor though. These are coordinated efforts from Russian intelligence to advance political goals.

It's cyber warfare.

Ac30

So are Wikileaks and Russia the most powerful hackers ever? Can no one hack them back?

You can't influence elections that aren't free.

I'm surprised nothing has leaked about Putin's vast financial empire. He's been bleeding the Russian public dry for decades.

Mael

I'm surprised nothing has leaked about Putin's vast financial empire. He's been bleeding the Russian public dry for decades.

That was the panama papers.
There's a huge file about how a friend of putin embezzle money in his name or something.

Everyone in Russia knows. They just don't care. I would be overjoyed if I woke up one day and found out they lynched him in the Kremlin.

EmiPrime

They'll probably get above 5% but i'll take that over the 15% they had a year ago

They likely will yeah, as long as they can survive the in-fighting that's brewing currently. Probably best they don't disintegrate completely come to think of it, better to have an incompetent far right party occupying that space than an organised coherent one!

Kerensky

Banned

Are you saying the shitposting board on a Malaysian oilpainting forum is actually the new world order through the power of persistent dumping of memes?

that would be kind of funny.

Nafai1123

Banned
There's no proof Russia did this. The McCarthyism spreading around has gotten ridiculous.

I'll accept my payment in rubles

Arttemis

I would like to think this kind of targeted strike would be plainly recognized as foreign attempts at sabotage, and it would rally the level headed population against the candidate it's clearly attempting to assist.

If putin does it like medvedev he isn't on any paperwork, he uses a trusted person or people who are otherwise non-entities to own his wealth and his companies and their bank accounts. He is the master of plausibly deniability.

Ac30

This isn't a non-state actor though. These are coordinated efforts from Russian intelligence to advance political goals.

It's cyber warfare.

I should have clarified, I meant they pretend to be neutral/stateless

They speak Russian pretty well too indecently.

Too bad the French don't :p

That was the panama papers.
There's a huge file about how a friend of putin embezzle money in his name or something.

Totally forgot about that, sad nothing happened.

It's cyber warfare.

I think it paints a pretty cynical picture for our future and what it'll actually be like.

When algorithms, metadata and all that kind of shit, can be analysed to a point where they can influence your thoughts, before you even start to fucking think them. What does that even say about free will

Like the movie Her. Where the guy falls in love with the OS. What if the OS he falls in love with, was merely pretending, and was there to merely shape his world view to whatever the "powers that be" want.

It's all about the power of suggestion at the end of the day, I suppose. But I don't have high hopes for us if we turn into a right wing fuck hole police state that is married to technology to such a point that we are completely locked down, but we don't even realise it.

Jackpot

Banned
uSeSlKw.png

STOP BEING SO MEAN TO RUSSIA!

Russia, the bastion of fair play and open democratic elections... what did they do to deserve such treatment?!

So their line is they deliberately hacked themselves to somehow make Russia look bad.

That is bottom of the barrel dumb. Like, you can spin it as lackadaisical campaign security but to instantly go for the false-flag narrative... it's so self-evidently febrile.

Mael

that guy is showing where it came from and eveyrthing
Apparently the 2nd in command of the FN is colluding in some way.
https://twitter.com/Nico_VanderB

If putin does it like medvedev he isn't on any paperwork, he uses a trusted person or people who are otherwise non-entities to own his wealth and his companies and their bank accounts. He is the master of plausibly deniability.

That's actually the MO the Panama Papers showed to a T.
Like we even know the name of the guy holding the account (a cell player or something).

chadskin

Just spoke to Macron's chief foreign policy adviser Aurelien Lechevallier about how as President he'd respond to Russian cyberattacks.
"We can expect a frank meeting with Putin. We will make clear on cyber attacks and on European security France will defend its interests."
"We want zero Russian interference in our elections and in European elections."
"We will have a doctrine of retaliation when it comes to Russian cyber attacks or any other kind of attack" - Macron foreign policy adviser.
"We are ready to retaliate to cyberattacks not just in kind but with any other conventional measure, security tool" - said Macron FP adviser
Multiple sources in the Macron campaign have told me last 48 hours "the Russian attack" has dramatically hardened his views towards Putin.
https://twitter.com/b_judah/

Top Bottom