• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal Trailer (Hangar 13/Take-Two, 2016, PC/PS4/XB1)

Is the guy black ? Looks cajun to me.

Also he sounds like Tommy Littlestone (from the amazingly brutal show Banshee)

Banshee0325.jpg

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The main protagonist is definitely a black guy (as seen in gameplay footage) and according to the cinematic trailer, apparently the Italian Mafia murdered his family and he's on a quest for revenge now to take down the Italian Mafia. I'm pretty sure I'm as close as can be.
I wouldn't be surprised if this quest for revenge becomes a "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster" thing, and his actions and efforts to take down the Italian Mafia results in him unintentionally establishing a Mafia of his own. An American Mafia, probably modeled after the Dixie Mafia

jett

D-Member
Man this game is sum ugly. I guess it's been in development for ages and was meant to be released on the PS360.

Mista

Banned
Loved the trailer especially when Jimi Hendrix song started
I honestly wanted Vito's story to carry on but oh well :(

I couldn't be more excited. What absolutely fantastic writing in the trailer. The CGI is fine. It's a year away, gameplay will be shown soon enough.

Mafia and Mafia II are two of my favorite games of all time. Mafia III just might be my most anticipated title of 2016.

Scotia

Banned
Okay, so the main story actually is about the black guy on a cliché journey for revenge. Oh my, how can they butcher it so bad? "Hey guys! Let's make a Mafia game without actually making you part of the Mafia. Sounds cool, huh!!"

Yeah, 'cause the Italian Mafia are totally the only Mafia that exsist.
/s

DC1

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The main protagonist is definitely a black guy (as seen in gameplay footage) and according to the cinematic trailer, apparently the Italian Mafia murdered his family and he's on a quest for revenge now to take down the Italian Mafia. I'm pretty sure I'm as close as can be.
Well,

Point out a Mafia story that isn't about territory, murder, betrayal and revenge.

Show me a period between the 1920s and 1990s where the Mafia presence was not prevalent or interesting.

Give me an instance where a Mafia story is told in 60s (where an African American doesn't have a part).

The world is big and the interconnections are astronomical.
In short, I can't and will not knock 2K for doing this. They should be commended for not taking the super safe route.

With all this said, I will not forgive them if the story or character progression isn't on point.

Hope this helps.

Mahonay

Banned
After re-watching the trailer I've realized the main character look incredibly similar to Seahawks QB Russell Wilson.

Frog-fu

Banned
Great to see a black MC, it's a pleasant surprise. The rumours of it being set in Louisiana should have been a cue.

To suggest Mafia III isn't a mafia game because the MC is black is silly. Lincoln Clay works for a black mob affiliated with the mafia. He works for and fights with the mafia. This is still a mafia game.

I applaud Hangar 13 for wanting to tell their story the way they are and commend 2K for taking the risk.

Lime

okay, the setting, the time period, the main character(s?) and the premise of the story make me really, really interested in this game. I sincerely hope that this becomes a successful title.

Great to see a black MC, it's a pleasant surprise. The rumours of it being set in Louisiana should have been a cue.

To suggest Mafia III isn't a mafia game because the MC is black is silly. Lincoln Clay works for a black mob affiliated with the mafia. He works for and fights with the mafia. This is still a mafia game.
He's fighting against the Italian Mafia

Village

Yeaahh, even if it's console footage, it still looks rough.

Also I wanted a Mafia game. You now, Italian mobs. Not mixed race guy and his pals.

Black folk can be in organized crime to.

Or are you going to go " GTASA reveal thread " on us?

RP912

Banned
I'm getting weird San Andreas thread vibes from this thread. The trailer just came out and folks are jumping to conclusions. For all we know, the game could get pushed back to 2017.

Lime

Organized crime in post-Vietnam New Orleans through the eyes of a Black Vietnam-veteran is such an amazing concept on paper.

erawsd

I wouldn't be surprised if this quest for revenge becomes a "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster" thing, and his actions and efforts to take down the Italian Mafia results in him unintentionally establishing a Mafia of his own. An American Mafia, probably modeled after the Dixie Mafia

Well I doubt it's unintentional. The "family" that he's avenging is the black mob and it sounds like part of the goal is to retake NO from the Italians.
I agree with you though, trying to reduce it to a simple "revenge story" is way premature. It'd be like saying Mafia 1 is just a generic rags to riches story.

ZanDatsu

I really like that this seems to be challenging some peoples' expectations of what a Mafia game can be. I'm really interested in playing as a minority during this time period in particular, there's a lot of untapped potential for interesting narrative from a perspective we usually don't get to experience first hand.

Well I doubt it's unintentional. The "family" that he's avenging is the black mob and it sounds like part of the goal is to retake NO from the Italians.
Ah, I didn't realize that. I assumed it meant like they killed his mother or brother or something

This looks pretty cool. I have Mafia 2 on my steam account maybe I'll try it out one day.

Not surprised by the Youtube comments though. It's 2015 but we got idiots reacting the same way when GTA San Andreas was revealed. Nothing changed.

gabbo

Less interested in it now that I've seen the trailer.
Part of the appeal to the previous games was that the main characters were initially sympathetic or conflicted about joining up with a world that was so violent and vile, unless that trailer takes place later in the game's story, this lead seems all in from the beginning.
Unless they're really going to play up the Vietnam vet angle and all that 40 years of distance from that war implies, I may skip this for a while.

Red Hood

Banned
For those that have quoted me I never said I had any issues with the setting, my main issue is you're not playing as an Italian American and from looking at the gameplay a lot of the "feel" is gone as well. I'm not a fan of the jazzy era that New Orleans is apparently famous for, I'd love another "old school" New York around the same era as the first one. And for those comparing it to GTA, that's completely different. Crime isn't something reserved for a fixed set of nationalities, so they can be white, black, or any other colour. But I, and I'm sure a lot of others as well, associate the world Mafia with the "original" Italian/Sicilian Mafia. Sure, nowadays Mafia is just a term of organised crime regardless of nationality, but I don't think that's how this series began.

Less interested in it now that I've seen the trailer.
Part of the appeal to the previous games was that the main characters were initially sympathetic or conflicted about joining up with a world that was so violent and vile, unless that trailer takes place later in the game's story, this lead seems all in from the beginning.
Unless they're really going to play up the Vietnam vet angle and all that 40 years of distance from that war implies, I may skip this for a while.
Yeah, but that's so cliche. The guy who starts with good intentions and is cautious and conflicted about letting go of his humanity, eventually becomes ruthless and more comfortable with violence as he becomes more poweful? That's been done so many times

xrnzaaas

Graphics look old-gen (I still haven't seen all gameplay clips so they may change my attitude), not sure about the main protagonist, but I like the setting. At this point it's hard to say if it'll be good or bad.

I definitely like the choice to go for a different kind of Mafia story in this. I'm very excited to hear more about this game in the coming months but as of right now I like what Hanger 13 is doing

Ragona

After watching the gameplay segments again, it looks closer to Sleeping Dogs than GTA...which is kinda awesome if its done right.

The footage looks kinda.....arcadey? What happened to Mafia landing on the more serious, realistic side of open world crime action games? The cars flipping and blowing up + catching on fire from seemingly every hit, the way he dives out of the muscle car, the ramp at a police roadblock to jump over it, the gratuitous knife kill, popping off grenade launchers in the middle of the street in broad day....What? le sigh. I was really hoping this was going to be a situation where car chases were heavy and realistic, and combat was raw and powerful without being over the top.

Still looking forward to what they can do with the setting and these characters, but I can't say I'm really excited for the tone of the gameplay they showed.

Top Bottom