• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArchon

You know, I still don't know what saprolings are.

I assumed they were either little animated plant or fungus things, given that they're produced by stuff like Thallids and Treefolk.

Yeah, here's the token from MM17
129137_200w.jpg

Clearly some kind of low animated plant or fungus.

Though it gets messy when you look at old pre-modern Saprolings, which look like baby wurms.
78629_200w.jpg

How much of my Zur deck should I dedicate to an ad nauseum package? Do I have to go the Doomsday route right away or is phyrexian unlife + angel's grace + lab maniac and a bunch of draw good enough. I don't really want to take out countertop and the as foretold I just acquired.

How much of my Zur deck should I dedicate to an ad nauseum package? Do I have to go the Doomsday route right away or is phyrexian unlife + angel's grace + lab maniac and a bunch of draw good enough. I don't really want to take out countertop and the as foretold I just acquired.

Is Lab Maniac your only win condition or are you including Aetherflux Reservoir as a possible storm win? I mean, either way Doomsday should be present since it makes it much easier to pull off a win.

Is Lab Maniac your only win condition or are you including Aetherflux Reservoir as a possible storm win? I mean, either way Doomsday should be present since it makes it much easier to pull off a win.
Before Ad Nauseam I had RIP + Helm of Obedience and Voltron as wincons but both of those were a bit too slow for my taste. I'm reluctant to add Doomsday as it would thoroughly warp my deck once I add it.

Before Ad Nauseam I had RIP + Helm of Obedience and Voltron as wincons but both of those were a bit too slow for my taste. I'm reluctant to add Doomsday as it would thoroughly warp my deck once I add it.

Doomsday is the better angle. Ad Naus + Lab Man + Unlife/Grace isn't a great win condition. You need to at least Ad Naus and one of the "don't lose" pieces in hand to start it and it basically forces Ad Naus to be used as a win condition instead of just for drawing into other cards needed to win. It's also just more expensive to Ad Naus compared to Doomsday so you'd need more free mana. And yes, it does warp the deck some.

DrArchon

Anyone got any suggestions for fun and viable Voltron commanders? I've build EDH decks for tokens, control, and combo/ramp, so Voltron seems like the next logical place to go.

I had my eye on either Zurgo Helmshasher or Lord of Tresserhorn. Zurgo because of haste, resistance to instant speed removal, and white letting me tutor for equipment, but LoT has 10 power, meaning all he needs is double strike or infect to OHKO someone, plus a bit of resilience with regenerate.

Then there's someone like Uril, which I haven't really looked at in depth but I can see being a pain in the ass to deal with thanks to hexproof. I'm not sure how much some of the better auras cost though, and I'm hoping to not spend too much here.

Any ideas?

Doomsday is the better angle. Ad Naus + Lab Man + Unlife/Grace isn't a great win condition. You need to at least Ad Naus and one of the "don't lose" pieces in hand to start it and it basically forces Ad Naus to be used as a win condition instead of just for drawing into other cards needed to win. It's also just more expensive to Ad Naus compared to Doomsday so you'd need more free mana. And yes, it does warp the deck some.
Zur can get one of those pieces and I was planning to add new Gideon to it as well.

Ad Nauseam can be used as anything else? I'm already going super low because of Necro every time, so I'd expect to die from Ad Nauseam every time.

Firemind

Anyone got any suggestions for fun and viable Voltron commanders? I've build EDH decks for tokens, control, and combo/ramp, so Voltron seems like the next logical place to go.

I had my eye on either Zurgo Helmshasher or Lord of Tresserhorn. Zurgo because of haste, resistance to instant speed removal, and white letting me tutor for equipment, but LoT has 10 power, meaning all he needs is double strike or infect to OHKO someone, plus a bit of resilience with regenerate.

Then there's someone like Uril, which I haven't really looked at in depth but I can see being a pain in the ass to deal with thanks to hexproof. I'm not sure how much some of the better auras cost though, and I'm hoping to not spend too much here.

Any ideas?
Lord Trashy gets you style points, but Zurgo has the equipment theme

Uril is kind of lame.

DrArchon

Lord Trashy gets you style points, but Zurgo has the equipment theme

Uril is kind of lame.

SFM is a bit outside what I'm willing to spend on one card for an EDH deck, but Stonehewer is better. And I do have an old busted up copy of Sword of Fire and Ice to tutor up for.

I think I'll go with Zurgo just for the Haste honestly. I want to wreck face before anyone gets to do anything about it and Zurgo has a way better chance of doing that than Tresserhorn.

Zur can get one of those pieces and I was planning to add new Gideon to it as well.

Ad Nauseam can be used as anything else? I'm already going super low because of Necro every time, so I'd expect to die from Ad Nauseam every time.

Sometimes you draw Ad Naus before you can successfully attack with Zur. Likewise, sometimes you draw Doomsday before you get to attack with Zur. Sometimes you draw Doomsday instead of the other stuff you need. Doomsday only really needs a card draw ability in hand/on the field to finish after using it.

Eh. She's infinitely less cool than Jor Kadeen, Jedi Master.
But Jor Kadeen doesn't have the power of NakamaPartner
Sometimes you draw Ad Naus before you can successfully attack with Zur. Likewise, sometimes you draw Doomsday before you get to attack with Zur. Sometimes you draw Doomsday instead of the other stuff you need. Doomsday only really needs a card draw ability in hand/on the field to finish after using it.
Fair enough, gotta bite the bullet. Right now games tend to end by conceding to inevitability more than me ending it and I don't really like that.

Cryptic Command is balanced In so much as it's the only one of the Commands from Lorwyn to not be relegated to EDH only. (Seriously, who approved the Red one?)

Is Stoneforge Mystic safe to unban in Modern​?
:Insert Gravity Falls Rigged Poll gif here, since my phone is not wanting to Cooperate:

I mean, I'm aware that it's my personal pipedream.

Godo is insane for Akiri since she has vigilance.

Last week I had a game where I played Akiri, next turn Godo, search out swiftfoot boots, equip godo, attack twice, next turn play phyrexian metamorph copying godo, keep original godo, search out sword of feast and famine, attack twice, next turn put phyrexian metamoprh on top with academy ruins, play it copying godo,...

DrArchon

lol imgur

I've been looking up samurai for Godo's trigger and man samurai are truly an awful tribe. Yikes.

Yep. Can't hope for much when the whole tribe is limited to one disgustingly under-powered set. There's not even a good samurai commander to build a deck around because all the legendary ones are mono-color. Same with Ninja (though Ninja are WAY more fun to play with).

Ashodin

Any ideas?
Mono white Nahiri! Her +1 is draw two cards with Skullclamp.

DrArchon

Mono white Nahiri! Her +1 is draw two cards with Skullclamp.

Eh, I'm always iffy of mono-color commanders. It's just so easy to hose one color. And it's not like white has the best card draw of the colors (even if Nahiri + Skullclamp is a cool combo).

I'd rather have a RW or RWB commander with Nahiri in there as backup.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol @ Liliana and Chandra trying to beat trained initiates in fistfights

also lol @ Gideon turning out to suck at fighting because he only knows how to fight when he's invincible

tumblr_ofkdul7pCz1tm904wo1_400.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder when we'll get another Jace again.

Ixalan, almost assuredly. He's definitely not in Hour (Maro wouldn't have said "less gatewatch starting in Hour if there were more gatewatch cards in it) and his only card in Standard will rotate with Ixalan (and its an opportunity for a precon Jace)

I think it'll be in whatever set after Ixalan. Maybe not even then. Maybe not even until next year, really.

I expect a new Karn/Ugin in the Dominaria set.

There hasn't been 0 Jaces in Standard since Zendikar and he's a central character in the Superfriends.

Ashodin

Honestly I don't think we'll see the Gatewatch until after Ixalan. If my prediction holds true, we'll be seeing what happens with Ajani in regards to his recruiting efforts on Ixalan.

Zocano

Maaan I wanna build that glorious end deck that was posted last page.

Seems hilarious but I just don't like the idea of investing into standard again. Seems like too much of a hassle for me unless I go the super budget route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom