• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
New Perspectives got me to the finals of Game Day, it is a viable deck.

Violet_0

Banned
How many Void Winnowers are in the Top 8? :p

I wonder if you could possibly justify playing one or two of those in the sideboard for the mirror in any way. I mean, assuming that they have no Marvel out (e: nvm!) they can't get rid of it at all. Super spicy tech

Ashodin

BW Zombies were all over my GameDay. I should have put in two more Declaration in the SB. I'm tempted to go to another store's GameDay tomorrow for another attempt at the playmat. I SB'd in two more Decs just because Ormendahl is a thing.

BW Zombies were all over my GameDay. I should have put in two more Declaration in the SB. I'm tempted to go to another store's GameDay tomorrow for another attempt at the playmat. I SB'd in two more Decs just because Ormendahl is a thing.

Been thinking about actually running some boomerangs because of Ormendahl and zombie tokens. Maybe even get goofy with a Baral's Expertise.

Ashodin

I'm totally convinced that if I had two more Dec in the SB I would've won GameDay today. Crazy how TWO cards can determine your placement.

My secret hope is still to see a deck that says, "Marvel out Bolas... oh no, I missed, oh well, at least I hit this Deploy the Gatewatch. Deploy Bolas and Lily."

.... Mother of God. Delete this post and never let the world see it! We're not ready for that kind of tilt!

My LGS has been overrun by control decks, out of literally nowhere. I somehow top 8'd with GB non-energy beats beating marvel twice, UB control (which is just a creature buzzsaw), and grixis control (even more of a buzzsaw). Only losing to BW zombies on a punt so high and far that if you squint hard enough, you can still see the ball in the air. Beat marvel in top 8 and lost to UW Second sun in 2 games that saw me on 12-14 lands and 6 spells! It was fun, though! Glad we had a decent turnout. 20ish people.

Murder

Couldn't make it to today's Gameday as it was my Dad's birthday, but you guys going to the tomorrow one too?

Should be good. Doin Mono-B zombaysss.

Okay so this works with Protean Hulk
110.jpg
38.jpg
144.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
I don't think 3 expensive cards (Lily at 5, Deploy at 6, and Bolas at 7 or 8) are going to work in Marvel. People debate between including 3 or 4 copies of Ulamog, and he pretty much wins the game- deploy and Lily don't. Also, the Marvel deck can't really use deploy effectively, giving how many slots have to be devoted to those key energy cards and the marvel itself, and, on the flip side, if the deck is a good deploy deck, new Lily certainly isn't good, as her first two abilities would have no synergy with the rest of the deck.

I don't think 3 expensive cards (Lily at 5, Deploy at 6, and Bolas at 7 or 8) are going to work in Marvel. People debate between including 3 or 4 copies of Ulamog, and he pretty much wins the game- deploy and Lily don't. Also, the Marvel deck can't really use deploy effectively, giving how many slots have to be devoted to those key energy cards and the marvel itself, and, on the flip side, if the deck is a good deploy deck, new Lily certainly isn't good, as her first two abilities would have no synergy with the rest of the deck.

I mean, obviously it would be contingent off new Bolas being good enough to be worth hitting off a hard-cast Deploy anyway. I'm still not convinced that's going to be the case (or that he won't get slimmed down to a 6 CMC anyway).

As far as Lily goes, just a PW at random out of the hat. Substitute Sorin, Ajani, Chandra, etc. as appropriate.

Lucario

finally managed to build around faith of the devoted; it took a sealed pool with sweltering suns, three tormenting voice, a shitload of removal, and about 12 other playable on-color cycling spells.

it's still not that great :|

traveler

Not Wario
Interesting sealed pool decision this morning in the PTQ finals. I have a fairly midrangey GR deck with some great cards (Samut, Honored Hydra, Heaven // Earth) but trying to stretch the deck out to 23 - 24 playables on GR alone really runs down the card quality. For splashing, I have a Channeler Initiate and 1 cultivators. The way I saw it, I had a handful of choices for those last slots:

Stay GR: Throw in Fling, Brute Strength, and Warfire Javeliner. Currently, the deck already has 2 combat tricks and only 4 instant/sorceries- adding the other tricks shifts it to be a bit more aggressive, keeps it consistently GR, and ups the count high enough to justify running the 4 mana 2/3.

Splash Black: Black has two cartouches of ambition and one trial of ambition. (I currently have one cartouche of strength in the deck for trial value)

Splash Blue: Run another cultivator to ease splash and move the deck more into ramping, adding Bounty of the Luxa and Cartouche of Knowledge. The deck's top end is only 1 6 drop and 3 5 drops. (Plus the heaven to earth) It is otherwise midrange with a slight bias towards aggression over control.

I ended up
splashing black
, but I'm curious whether that was the correct decision or not. I've always been of the mind that in sealed
taking a risk for power is generally more correct than watering down your deck's focus/card quality too much. I did win the first match of the PTQ finals off the black cards fwiw, where the other options would have clearly lost me the game.

What would yall have done?

Daedardus

Hey, it's my deck! I really prefer the full 4 Nahiri main, but since you don't want to do that, my suggestions would be (and this is just my preference):

Mainboard I would go -1 Helix, -1 Timely, -1 Anger, -1 Counterflux, -1 Wrath, -1 Electrolyze +2 Verdict +1 Ancestral +2 Spell Snare +1 Mana Leak. Verdict is very good against a lot of decks right now.

Sideboard, add Condemn. It's like a 50 cent card and really good against Death's Shadow. +1 Anger as well.

The Colonnades are IMO the biggest thing you should try to acquire, they're more important than Ancestral Vision.

Ancestral is the last thing I want for my deck, really hope I don't have to wait too long on a reprint.

Yeah, I always wanted (and had the money) to buy the Collonades, but I hold off in hopes for a reprint with better art. I'm still going to wait half a year, you never know what they'll do with them.

Some good suggestions but I fear that running single copies of many cards is going to make the deck really inconsistent. Verdict is pretty great, but my other Abzan midrange deck that some friends lend to play against me has a Thrun and Wrath is the only answer to that. I have some Mana Leaks too in my side-side board but don't really run them, it's a useless card in the long game and I feel like the deck is always stretching the length of the game. Maybe I'll try them out.

Santiako

Ooh, Red Black Control at 10-1 in the GP stream. Spicy!

Interesting sealed pool decision this morning in the PTQ finals. I have a fairly midrangey GR deck with some great cards (Samut, Honored Hydra, Heaven // Earth) but trying to stretch the deck out to 23 - 24 playables on GR alone really runs down the card quality. For splashing, I have a Channeler Initiate and 1 cultivators. The way I saw it, I had a handful of choices for those last slots:

Stay GR: Throw in Fling, Brute Strength, and Warfire Javeliner. Currently, the deck already has 2 combat tricks and only 4 instant/sorceries- adding the other tricks shifts it to be a bit more aggressive, keeps it consistently GR, and ups the count high enough to justify running the 4 mana 2/3.

Splash Black: Black has two cartouches of ambition and one trial of ambition. (I currently have one cartouche of strength in the deck for trial value)

Splash Blue: Run another cultivator to ease splash and move the deck more into ramping, adding Bounty of the Luxa and Cartouche of Knowledge. The deck's top end is only 1 6 drop and 3 5 drops. (Plus the heaven to earth) It is otherwise midrange with a slight bias towards aggression over control.

I ended up
splashing black
, but I'm curious whether that was the correct decision or not. I've always been of the mind that in sealed
taking a risk for power is generally more correct than watering down your deck's focus/card quality too much. I did win the first match of the PTQ finals off the black cards fwiw, where the other options would have clearly lost me the game.

What would yall have done?

You had two fixers, I would have splashed black for the cartouches/trial too.

traveler

Not Wario
There is nothing more satisfying than seeing your blue opponent tap out to cycle a ton of flyers onto the board at your end of turn with drake haven only for you to send their entire board to Heaven.

Holy crap that misplay. Bradley had lethal against Jonathan, but chose to have Ulamog attack Chandra instead. He still won in the end, though.

Still, Jonathan should have worked under the assumption that Bradley could get an Ulamog from his deck and used a removal spell on the Tireless Tracker and cast Chandra Torch of Defiance, like the commentators suggested.

You know, when I see Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Liliana the Last Hope, and Ob Nixilis on your battlefield, I sort of think "PW Control" and not "B/G Aggro".

Santiako

Holy shit. Fire evacuation in the SCGTour stream. All games in progress will be reset.

EDIT: False alarm, they can stay. But the alarm is still blasting lol

traveler

Not Wario
On the one hand, my opponent has two gods in their sealed deck. On the other, they're Kefnet and Hazoret. Can't say I've seen this before.

On the one hand, my opponent has two gods in their sealed deck. On the other, they're Kefnet and Hazoret. Can't say I've seen this before.

I've yet to lose a Limited game to either of those two, though I suppose late enough in a sealed league you could start seeing some decks with enough tools to build around them. They just fizzle so often and so hard in drafts.

traveler

Not Wario
I've yet to lose a Limited game to either of those two, though I suppose late enough in a sealed league you could start seeing some decks with enough tools to build around them. They just fizzle so often and so hard in drafts.

Yeah he lost to time. Edifice of authority is such a ridiculous card in limited. If you aren't white, you just can't interact with it.

"Let's watch this control vs. control match-up!"

"Umm... let's try running it at 16x speed for fifteen minutes maybe?"

"WHY DID WE THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!"

ironmang

I was ready to call it quits after 5 rounds of gameday.

No idea how you managed mentally to top 8 a GP

Most of my matches only lasted like 20-30 minutes so that helped lol. Even still the wheels were falling off at the end of Day 2 and I made a couple embarrassing misplays. No idea how some grinders can do that every week with decks that require a lot more thought. I played all my 13 rounds at a GP with affinity once and I was just mentally gone after that.

Tunoku

Went 3-2 at Game Day today, finishing 9th. It hurt even more since one the guys just picked up his Glorybringer and conceded. Actually, I went to the store to compete in the Grand Prix Trial, but we only managed to get 7 people and it fell through.

Sorry that I didn't say hello to you Vogel! I think I noticed you once, but I was too focused on my match and it ended up not mattering anyway.

traveler

Not Wario
Well, ptq finals dream is dead today. Could not beat a harsh mentor, manticore, glory ringer, cruel reality br deck. Least I get most of Sunday back. Mtgo tourneys sure are huge. Not convinced it'd be that much easier to qualify in paper, though, as there are always a ton of players at the local events and everyone in Seattle is decent to good. Kinda miss living in a place without 80+ attendance tourneys for that reason alone.

Two more shots at Kyoto next weekend, and then that's it. Long ones, to be sure but I'll prep in standard and sealed as much as I can this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom