• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brickhunt

Bleach
Looks like the Ice didn't impale Bazz-B.. With Vollstandig under their sleeve, I have little hope for the stolen-captains to beat them. Mayuri better have prepared some anti-medallion abomination. Captains are going to need the Bankai against angelic forms.

Naruto
I liked better when things were simple and Chakra was a basic human skills achieved with training. All this crap about Uchiha Tablet, Juubi and Rikudou Sennin has helped push this manga into the bottom of the hole. I miss Pain's tailed beast chakra nuke.

One Piece
Appreciate the Dressrosa backstory building, but I just want this tournament to be over and move on to the Factory's Assault. I dying for Luffy to have an actual arc boss battle. It has been long ever since the Vs Lucci fight.

Kusagari

I still think Orochimaru is going to show up and wreck some shit. I have no reason to believe he's magically good now and Sasuke will do nothing the rest of the time.

I'm betting the tree sprouts another fruit which the Sauce eats to get a last minute power up.

Perfect way to get him up to Naruto's level for their final fight.

I'm going to laugh so. fucking. hard. if the Ten-tails turns out to have a name also and its like Yggdrasil

More than likely going to be base on some Japanese myth \ folklore .
Naruto is fill with that stuff and also where the hell are the 5 kages and Oro .

As for the Sauce i have no idea what he going other then it going to be crazy lol .

One Piece - 721

I don't know why but Oda's emotional moments don't hit me as hard anymore. Either way a pretty boring chapter, but it did give some info into the whole Rebecca fiasco.

Rising X Rydeen - 15

Man, Takeru's gel weirds me out everytime. Also who would have guessed that lightning girl never failed a mission before, no wonder she was crying.

Mr. Fix

One Piece

Love the final page. Feels all around, especially those last few panels.

Wait, another break?

KhC19yo.gif

One Piece - 721

I don't know why but Oda's emotional moments don't hit me as hard anymore. Either way a pretty boring chapter, but it did give some info into the whole Rebecca fiasco.

Don't think it was suppose to be that emotional just a sad moment .
When Oda really goes for that stuff the flashback and set up is be much longer .

EDIT just notice we soon going to need a new thread .

Zeroth

I'm betting the tree sprouts another fruit which the Sauce eats to get a last minute power up.

Perfect way to get him up to Naruto's level for their final fight.

The scary thing is that it seems really probable. And it would tip the odds in Sasuke's favor way too much.

Hystzen

Best thing for Bleach next week is Aizen to just appear and cut Ice boy in half again just for shits and giggles. I would be happy if that is only thing Aizen does in this end arc I have no interest in him otherwise apart from slicing up Histu for fun

Hal (Ayase Umi) 1-4 (END)
Short little shoujo tragedy about a robot impersonating a plane disaster victim. I really wish I'd known there was a film adaptation before I read it, because I suspect it would've been less confusing in places, and that twist would've knocked me out of the park.

:lol Monster Hunter 4 will have, in addition to Mario & Zelda, a Silver Spoon collabo.

It's seriously a hunting horn in the form of a silver spoon. Never change MH team.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
One Piece
Mr. Soldier already stated people seem to forget about people who are turned into toys. So not her fault.

True. I just can't get over how heavily she lampshaded the whole thing without connecting any dots. But I guess she's an effective tool to teach the audience about that

Also, it seemed like her fighting style might be based around winning without hurting the opponent? If so then that's unique enough for a 1-on-1 later in the arc, even if she appears way weaker than the minimum necessary.
I assume she has the same fighting style as Kayos where its based around her never getting hurt, rather than the opponent. But it could go either way.

I expect her to show some super moves this round to back up the undefeated gladiator claim.

One Piece
Obviously she will be severely wounded and Luffy will break the rules of the tournament to save her.
Nope. What you're talking about will happen she faces Doflamingo and gets her ass whopped. It'll be Doflamingo's "shoot the dog" moment and finally motivate Luffy to beat his ass.

One Piece:

So we've got the tragic flashback + inspirational figure for Rebecca, maybe it's possible she might join at the end of this arc? She's still lacking a distinct personality though, which is one of the few things that keep me from thinking this might happen. I am really interested to see how she can fight without "hurting anyone", any unique fighting style that doesn't rely on a DF power is welcomed in my book.
Rebecca's low chances of joining the crew died once she got a 1 chapter flashback. Last character to get that was Hancock and we know how that went. She might become an ally still. I just hope she doesn't follow the exact same process as all the previous princess characters. Kinda been overdone.

That said, she's going to have a rough arc like most potential Strawhat candidates. She still has both the Ricky and Toy Soldier identity reveals to go through, as well as both her and Toy Soldier getting owned by Doflamingo.

On the bright side, she's highly likely to gain Ace's fruit by the end. Last character to be hated upon for their ancestry? Ace.

When I read that Kishi had a WOMAN being the first user of chakra I was like "O_O!! Progress!!"

then I read she's the reason everything went to shit.

-______-' Goddammit Kishi.

grandjedi6

When I read that Kishi had a WOMAN being the first user of chakra I was like "O_O!! Progress!!"

then I read she's the reason everything went to shit.

-______-' Goddammit Kishi.

While I'm sure that's another example of Kishi's misogyny, that entire story was just the Garden of Eden story with Eve eating the apple. So its just referencing back the Bible's own woman blaming stories.

Big One

Banned
Naruto F

So I finally read up the recent chapters, and what do you know it's shit. The backstory in the recent chapter was somewhat interesting but nothing else was.

Bleach F

Hitsugaya battle arc. Great way to put me to sleep and make me wish I was reading a better manga.

One Piece B

Great backstory, though it probably won't be the last (there's still a lot of stuff that needs to be explained). Is it just me or are these One Piece backstory segments getting darker in theme with each arc? Fishman Island was focused on prejudice and slavery, Punk Hazard was about kidnapping kids and experimentation on them, and now we got a systematic takeover over a peaceful country killing off all the royalty to be put under the tyranny of Don Flamingo.

Naruto F

So I finally read up the recent chapters, and what do you know it's shit. The backstory in the recent chapter was somewhat interesting but nothing else was.

Bleach F

Hitsugaya battle arc. Great way to put me to sleep and make me wish I was reading a better manga.

One Piece B

Great backstory, though it probably won't be the last (there's still a lot of stuff that needs to be explained). Is it just me or are these One Piece backstory segments getting darker in theme with each arc? Fishman Island was focused on prejudice and slavery, Punk Hazard was about kidnapping kids and experimentation on them, and now we got a systematic takeover over a peaceful country killing off all the royalty to be put under the tyranny of Don Flamingo.

An F really? Surely if youre already 600 chapters in these an F ought to be impossible.

Anyway, if we have to access this on a scale of darkness, then I dont think the current arc would be darker than the arcs before it.

Bleach

*Yawn*

Fat Coward, Ice Tard and Bazz-B are characters I give a don't give a fuck about.

At least Matsumoto represented a bit

One Piece

Another one chapter Flashback? Interesting and Dom with that Hostile Takeover

Lets see what her fighting style is about since she doesn't want to hurt anyone and how long Luffy can keep his anger in lol.

IHaveIce

Banned
One Piece

So.. this throws a wrench in the theory Doflamingo was a world noble( or at least that his king status on this island would be an indicator), I thought he ruled the kingdom as a successor or something, but it seems he just invaded the country by pure force.

The Old gladiator we saw is the king, soldier guy is the father of rebecca.

Rebecca is a boring character and we don't need another useless female in the crew, so stop suggesting it. A toy or even the dwarves would be way cooler as crewmates.

I hope we don't waste too much time on block D, I want to see the Admiral vs Law vs Doflamingo fight more.

upandaway

One Piece

Rebecca is a boring character and we don't need another useless female in the crew, so stop suggesting it. A toy or even the dwarves would be way cooler as crewmates.
The biggest cue I have against Rebecca joining the crew is actually her name. It just doesn't fit for a main Straw Hat, it's too.. normal.

Big One

Banned
An F really? Surely if youre already 600 chapters in these an F ought to be impossible.

Anyway, if we have to access this on a scale of darkness, then I dont think the current arc would be darker than the arcs before it.
How is it impossible? Naruto has gotten worse with every arc since Part 2 started. I think Naruto's dad's backstory was pretty A+ quality manga but anything else ranges from a mixed bag to complete garbage.

grandjedi6

One Piece

That's the sort of flashback I've been waiting for, everything is slowly becoming clear. This is one seriously fucked up island. There's still one major piece missing from this story though.
I think we're missing two major pieces: What really happened on the island, and Law's backstory.

Hey guys, what if Doflamingo himself is the Toy Devil Fruit user.
Can't be. It was stated earlier that Doflamingo brought the Toy Toy user to the island ten years ago. The current candidates include: Diamente, Spade guy, clockwerk guy, little girl and Law.

Doubt its Diamente though since they've been hyping him up as the tournament end boss.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Don't engage. Surely after 200 chapters of "Fs" you would have figured out what's going on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think we're missing two major pieces: What really happened on the island, and Law's backstory.

Can't be. It was stated earlier that Doflamingo brought the Toy Toy user to the island ten years ago. The current candidates include: Diamente, Spade guy, clockwerk guy, little girl and Law.

Doubt its Diamente though since they've been hyping him up as the tournament end boss.

I doubt we'll get Law's backstory for a while yet, the alliance wasn't just about getting rid of Donflamingo it was about Kaido. So we'll get that then.

Wait the english dub of OP didn't even get to brook before?

Even the german version was complete until episode 400 or something

Nah, the dub is halfway through Water 7/Enis Lobby and we're only now getting to the start of Water 7 on TV. 4Kids damn near killed the series in the US.

upandaway

But it's available in English, you could just import these.
For one, they're only up to whatever was scanned (in a slow enough pace that the scans aren't really losing to it), and also, I'd rather buy the Japanese volumes than the English ones. It's not like shipping will be any more expensive for me.
Whatever English manga I'll ever own is probably limited to what I own now (some HxH, OP, HnG and E21).

One Piece

Yes, because Robin and Franky are such abnormal names :p
Aren't they? Robin is sorta like a Zoro deal, and Franky.. wait, am I missing something, I never saw that before. Frankenstein? Oh well.

That reminds me, isn't that also him burning the fields/chasing Rebecca and her mother in this chapter? And Mr. Soldier was fighting him, it doesn't really make sense for him to be the Toy Toy dude.

Naruto

I actually liked the way Kishi explained the origin of chakra. Back when Akatsuki's goals were unknown, I used to believe that they hunted down the tailed beasts in order permanently seal all chakra away forever. I actually thought it kinda made sense back then, since all of them were victims of the shinobi world in some way.

I can't help but wonder if Naruto will end up doing something similar at the end of the manga. The shinobi society is all kinds of messed up when you think about it, so the world might be better off without chakra.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Aren't they? Robin is sorta like a Zoro deal, and Franky.. wait, am I missing something, I never saw that before. Frankenstein? Oh well.

Robin is a standard name.
Like Good Morning America's Robin Roberts, or actor Robin Williams, or famous moocher Robin Leach.

Franky could be a nickname for Frank. Though Frankie is a girl's name.

Also, Rebecca would sound weird to Japanese ears. Much like Tina (the original name of Terra from FFVI).

But it's available in English, you could just import these.

The English manga is literally at the same point where the anime ended.

The next double volume doesn't get released till next year.

The scans are literally at the same place too.

It's like every translation of this series has come to a complete stop at the same place, wwwwwwwwwwwwww,

grandjedi6

I doubt we'll get Law's backstory for a while yet, the alliance wasn't just about getting rid of Donflamingo it was about Kaido. So we'll get that then.

True. But so much of Law's backstory seems integral to Doflamingo (unless a plot twist is coming up). It would be weird if he had his flashback after Doflamingo was defeated (again, unless a plot twist is coming up).

Korosenai

One Piece

Good chapter, but now i'm confused on some things. How long ago did Doflamingo become King? Because it says Doflamingo brought in the Toy Fruit user 10 years ago, but when he took over Dressrosa from the past king, the toy soldier was already a toy so i'm assuming toys were already a thing.

Also my predictions (after looking around a bit on the net and reading others opinions that seemed to make sense): The Toy Soldier is Kayos (who is also Rebecca's Dad) and the gladiator Ricky is the old King.

grandjedi6

One Piece

That reminds me, isn't that also him burning the fields/chasing Rebecca and her mother in this chapter? And Mr. Soldier was fighting him, it doesn't really make sense for him to be the Toy Toy dude.
How is Robin a Zoro deal? Its a pretty common girl's name. And Franky/Frankie is a common-ish name too (see: Frankie Muniz).

And yeah, that was Diamente. Just building up his inevitable defeat to Luffy. Though, unless this arc lasts forever (like Skypeia long), something crazy would have to happen for Luffy to fight both Diamente and Doflamingo with appropriate pacing at this point.

One Piece

Good chapter, but now i'm confused on some things. How long ago did Doflamingo become King? Because it says Doflamingo brought in the Toy Fruit user 10 years ago, but when he took over Dressrosa from the past king, the toy soldier was already a toy so i'm assuming toys were already a thing.

Also my predictions (after looking around a bit on the net and reading others opinions that seemed to make sense): The Toy Soldier is Kayos (who is also Rebecca's Dad) and the gladiator Ricky is the old King.
Rebecca thinks toys always existed, which is why she implies such in her flashback. But that stands in direct contrast to what Toy Soldier as said so either (A) she's being an unreliable narrator thanks to Doflamingo's mind alteration stuff, or (B) it plays into what the dwarf dude said about this conflict going back 900 years.

The timeline's pretty wonky so far:

900 years ago - Conflict between Doflamingo family(?) and Dwarfs begins
20 years ago - Kyros disappears
15 years ago - Vergo joins the marines as a mole
10 years ago - Doflamingo becomes a Warlord and takes over Dressrosa

Korosenai

Rebecca thinks toys always existed, which is why she implies such in her flashback. But that stands in direct contrast to what Toy Soldier as said so either (A) she's being an unreliable narrator thanks to Doflamingo's mind alteration stuff, or (B) it plays into what the dwarf dude said about this conflict going back 900 years.

The timeline's pretty wonky so far:

900 years ago - Conflict between Doflamingo family(?) and Dwarfs begins
20 years ago - Kyros disappears
15 years ago - Vergo joins the marines as a mole
10 years ago - Doflamingo becomes a Warlord and takes over Dressrosa

Yea, i'm just confused with this whole Dressrosa timeline in general. Hopefully with some more flashbacks/explanation from the dwarf king it'll all get sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom