• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Announced For Wii U

Driftspark system? I played both MKWii and 7 extensively enough and don't remember that name at all. Then again my memory is pretty shit

Driftspark is basically just the method to get boosts. So in MKDS the driftspark system led to snaking. In MKWii you get boosts from turning, and they appear faster if you turn tighter. So it emphasizes tight turns and natural race lines. The problem is, there are only so many ways you can maximize your gains like this. You can only take turns so well. But the wheelie system added an extra layer of depth (and fun, really) in that you can wheelie whenever you're not turning, and doing precise, straight wheelies is another way to increase speed and maximize gains. It was a great system, and MKWii remains one of the best Mario Karts. Mario Kart 7 didn't feature wheelies, and so it feels like there's a lot less distance between a master player and everyone else. That's sort of the point of Mario Kart, but I think there's a fine balance involved, and Mario Kart 7 pushes it too far to one end. Items and rubberbanding push it toward that end, and deeper driving mechanics are needed to strike that perfect balance between racing skills and spamming powerful items.

DaBoss

Driftspark is basically just the method to get boosts. So in MKDS the driftspark system led to snaking. In MKWii you get boosts from turning, and they appear faster if you turn tighter. So it emphasizes tight turns and natural race lines. The problem is, there are only so many ways you can maximize your gains like this. You can only take turns so well. But the wheelie system added an extra layer of depth (and fun, really) in that you can wheelie whenever you're not turning, and doing precise, straight wheelies is another way to increase speed and maximize gains. It was a great system, and MKWii remains one of the best Mario Karts. Mario Kart 7 didn't feature wheelies, and so it feels like there's a lot less distance between a master player and everyone else. That's sort of the point of Mario Kart, but I think there's a fine balance involved, and Mario Kart 7 pushes it too far to one end. Items and rubberbanding push it toward that end, and deeper driving mechanics are needed to strike that perfect balance between racing skills and spamming powerful items.

Bikes were OP. Game was not Mario Kart Wii, it was Mario Bike Wii. Removing wheelies was the smartest thing to do.

Not worried. Mario Kart Wii and 7 are great online.
Yep, I'm not worried on that front either. What kills me is the lack of a mic jack for the pro controller. That really fucking sucks for me and my friends who got used to chatting it up while playing online. Eventually we just resorted to using our phones or xbox consoles to chat while racing. :(

Effect

This game looks amazing and fast. I was getting tired of Mario Kart but this certainly has recaptured my interest. Now if only they've toned down the damn blue shells so you aren't punished for racing well. Guess I'll have to play to find out.

babypark with 12 karts would be the most chaotic and awesomely stupid thing ever.
Except make it:

Baby Mobius Strip

220px-MobiusJoshDif.jpg

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
These last few months I feared we would get the arcade version of Mario Kart this fall.

Instead, we are getting the most graphically ambitious Nintendo on the system, taking its time to be polished,

For its release next year, a $250 bundle is highly probable, which will be the trigger for the mass market who enjoyed Wii's version.

Mario Kart is Wii U's savior. Nintendo knows it and the good news is, they treat it like it.

Davey Cakes

The game looks like it could be the best MK yet.

Hopefully they balanced out the bikes.

I agree with many others about the visuals. Very pretty.

nordique

MOAR GIFS PLZ

I love how the pipes on the side that isnt facing the sun are all lit up.

Nintendo and their Nintendo-like details

I totally missed that. I still find little details like that in their older games on previous platforms that impress me the same way.

Roo

I'm thrilled about the ideas of retro courses with those visuals.
Music Park, Dry Dry Desert and Piranha Slider look gorgeous.
I can't even imagine a SNES, GBA, N64 or even a DS track. I mean, that Dry Desert track is like Night and day vs. its Double Dash counterpart.
Also I wonder how they're going to integrate the new mechanics into the retro courses.

made me a wallpaper from the artwork and logo, doesn't work as good as the smartphone wallpaper but if anyone is interested:
16:10
16:9

defferoo

I don't know man. Looks like 3D World is a 3D Land up-port, whereas MK8 looks brand new.

Also they could rush out MK8 for Christmas and then have a free dlc "update" in Spring.

what about it looks like an up-port? the geometry is way too high poly for 3ds, the textures are really high-res in comparison to 3D land. nothing about the graphics scream "i was made on 3DS and moved to WiiU!" stop confusing similar art style to 3DS up-port

MK8 does look amazing. thank goodness they stopped using the double dash character models (anybody else notice the character models in MK Wii were lifted directly from double dash?)

DaBoss

I don't think you understand lol - I'm talking about the possibility of a new course reminiscent of Baby Park.

Also I think the 2 lap limit is just for the demo booths.

OHHHHH, I thought you guys were talking about a course that looked like a mobius strip and not anything specific like Baby Park. Carry on then. :p

ffdgh

Yeah it is so refreshing that the characters finally have actual fingers now. That always bugged me in wii and 7.

I recently started playing Double Dash for the first time, it's difficult adjusting to the character's weight pulling the karts to the side.

One question for those who know, are there no star ratings in this game? or are they just really hard to get?

this game is easily the game i want the most on U. it looks amazing. was hoping for 2013, but i'll live with 2014 so long as it's early 2014

weevles

Looks like moar MK fun. Will get, but I have no idea when I'm going to get a Wii U. Waitin' for the price drop...

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
So, who is doing this game, Retro? that would explain the graphical jump over the other Nintendo games IMO, and not having man power enough for an epic HD game

I thought this was the best thing out of Nintendo. It's unlikely but I wish they would tweak the single player a bit this time around. The classes and cups standard layout is so boring at this point.

ffdgh

So, who is doing this game, Retro? that would explain the graphical jump over the other Nintendo games IMO, and not having man power enough for an epic HD game

Nah they're playing with Dk. It's likely made by the same guys but they're putting actual effort...to put it nicely lol.

Davey Cakes

I will be honest and say that I barely touched MK7. I think I beat all of the cups once and stopped.

There's a lot about that game to love, but I feel like consoles are always where my best MK experiences are. 2-4 player split screen, local (primarily) but also online.

In comparison to MKDD and MKWii, my playtimes with MKDS and MK7 were minimal, as stellar as those games are.

Mario Kart 8 looks incredible. While I admit that Mario Kart is basically Nintendo's bread and butter, I can't help but look forward to the next console iteration, especially since it seems way more dynamic in terms of gameplay ideas (hover modes and anti-gravity parts) and especially visuals.

The real kicker would be if a 5th player could join on the Gamepad. That'd be amazing.

Top Bottom