• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Shooting in Clovis NM (4 injured; 2 dead)

Media

From descriptions from friends and other witnesses he had a semi-automatic of some kind. The parents should be charged too for not locking up their guns

Media

Double post:

On NBC its saying two dead six wounded, but that has not been confirmed by local officials yet.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Damn, my folks are in ABQ RN.

RIP the fatalities, hope the wounded pull through

Media

Absolutely, I just wanted to 100% ensure that they got their guy. An uncomfortably low amount of info has been shared so far.

Clovis PD is kinda known for this unfortunately. They don't like to share info unless they have to. Since it's hitting national news is likely the only reason they are holding a press conference

Clovis PD is kinda known for this unfortunately. They don't like to share info unless they have to. Since it's hitting national news is likely the only reason they are holding a press conference

Oh okay, thanks for the insight! I was worried this was out of the ordinary.

Media

Oh okay, thanks for the insight! I was worried this was out of the ordinary.

A really good friend of mine is a sheriff's deputy there and he was likely on scene. Since he's also an MMA fighter and used to public speaking I wouldn't be surprised if he did the press conference. But he's told me that they don't like give out info because the area is so small that everyone pretty much knows everyone and there could be retaliation over stupid shit.

I think Clovis has a population of 20k and my village, Melrose, just outside of it has just 700.

III-V

I think Clovis has a population of 20k and my village, Melrose, just outside of it has just 700.

I can't even imagine living anywhere so rural, the entire population is like a single grade grade of a medium size high school. Way outside of my experience.

Media

Summary of Press Conference:

Four people injured, some very critical. Two males and two females. Two dead, both female. I know the name of one but will not release it until the press does. Shooter surrendered without a fight. No shots exchanged with officers. No motive released, suspects age and name not released.

Summary of Press Conference:

Four people injured, some very critical. Two males and two females. Two dead, both female. I know the name of one but will not release it until the press does. Shooter surrendered without a fight. No shots exchanged with officers. No motive released, suspects age and name not released.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that. What a senseless crime.

Media

Everyone is still in a state of total shock, and people are already demanding answers. Motive? How did he get the gun? Were his parents just negligent? Is this all over a girl or the school thing? Ugh. Rumors are just flying. Even some people are claiming he is a white nationalist. I have no idea what to believe right now.

marrec

Banned
Never thought something like this would happen in that little town. It was almost inevitable that someone I knew would be a victim.. haven't lived there in a decade though.

I hope the injured pull through...

Two Words

I found out about this later and thought it was strange that I didn't see a thread. Then I searched it and saw how quickly it fell down several pages. Even news channels give it relatively little focus. When it's something like an extreme Islamic terrorist, both the news and GAF are talking about it non-stop for days. When it is something like a domestic attack, people just forget about it so much faster. This is an irritating thing because it leads our population to treat things like extreme Islamist terrorism as our biggest threat when we have so many more domestic threats, like the lack of reasonable gun control.

Media

I found out about this later and thought it was strange that I didn't see a thread. Then I searched it and saw how quickly it fell down several pages. Even news channels give it relatively little focus. When it's something like an extreme Islamic terrorist, both the news and GAF are talking about it non-stop for days. When it is something like a domestic attack, people just forget about it so much faster. This is an irritating thing because it leads our population to treat things like extreme Islamist terrorism as our biggest threat when we have so many more domestic threats, like the lack of reasonable gun control.

It might also be cause the area is so rural and New Mexico isn't even a state to some people.

Also, considering he's a white kid, I doubt there will me much focus on major news channels unless the rumors that he was a white nationalist are true.

I'd also love to know where a 16 year old got an AK.

Media

Small update: even though Clovis has a hospital, all the survivors were sent to Lubbock, three via air, one in an ambulance. That should be an indication of how seriously they were wounded.

Suspect:

21122346_1377112419052782_6985088293127326481_o.jpg

Responsible Gun Owner

Him, or the parent/relative's gun he stole.

Toxi

Banned
Small update: even though Clovis has a hospital, all the survivors were sent to Lubbock, three via air, one in an ambulance. That should be an indication of how seriously they were wounded.
Damn.

The lack of coverage for this is insane. Even with Harvey constantly in the news, you'd expect this to get more play.

Media

Damn.

The lack of coverage for this is insane. Even with Harvey constantly in the news, you'd expect this to get more play.

Yeah we've had mass shootings with zero deaths get more coverage. Hell, the guy who fired into the air at that PizzaGate place didn't hurt anyone and that was huge news. Factors I think are inflicting it:

Harvey and Houston
North Korea and their new escalations
So many Americans don't know New Mexico is part of the US.
Very rural area with a low population
White shooter

I mean, he is 16 years old, reporters should be hounding the CPD for answers.

Media

Thank you for posting, OP. I appreciate it.

If it wasn't for this thread I've have had no idea this even happened.

It's so weird it's not national news. I guess with Harvey and North Korea mainstream media doesn't care about podunk towns in the desert :/

Media

http://www.easternnewmexiconews.com...brary-shooting-shooter-in-custody/153711.html

Killer and victims identified but not officially.

Clovis - "Run!," he yelled.

"Why aren't you running? I'm shooting at you! Run!"

Lisa Baird said she was maybe 20 feet from the young man shouting the words as he opened fire in the Clovis-Carver Public Library on Monday afternoon, killing two people and leaving four more injured.

Police declined to name the suspect, but said there was only one and he was handcuffed as police led him away from the scene soon after they arrived. Friends identified the teenager photographed in police custody as Nathaniel Jouett, a sophomore at Clovis High School.

Family and friends said Krissie Carter and Wanda Walters, both library employees, were killed.

Can confirm one of the victim names is correct.

Rest well.

More at the link.

ALSO apparently the reports he was armed with an AK were confused with what the police used; both witnesses called it a hand gun here.

Top Bottom