• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 7th | UK General Election 2015 OT - Please go vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Well the Lib Dems would've got 100+ seats last time around if the polls after the first debate in the last election were to be believed.

I'm sure they would have done a lot better than they did had people not done the usual "but they won;t win and I don't want X to win so I better vote Y."

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I do give Ed in separating himself from the 2003 war decision.

But he will get destroyed by the likes of Putin on the foreign scene. It is amongst my biggest fears of a Labour government.

...wha? Why? Serious questions, political leanings aside, you know that's not how it actually works, right? You think David Cameron really sits down and personally negotiates over the state of Ukraine with Putin? He probably doesn't even know where Odessa is on a map, let alone Mariupol. What if the Azerbaijan-Armenia problem spirals up? Do you think he knows right now where Nagorno-Karabakh is? Politicians struggle to get to grips with just running their own ministry, which they specifically 'study' for however many years they're in the shadow cabinet or a junior minister. You think they're the prime determinants of foreign policy, which covers over 180 countries with wildly different problems and circumstances? The Foreign Office basically runs itself, pretty much every foreign office minister has said so; it's usually for the worse when politicians actively do anything.

Well the Lib Dems would've got 100+ seats last time around if the polls after the first debate in the last election were to be believed.

But I think Ed would've come off better of the two for sure. But that's what everyone expected.

Good point mate.

I think that could be why Cameron refused a head to head.

kharma45

This all the way. Your vote isn't wasted even if you think it will be. I think it was the 1992 election when 51% - yes 51% - of a substantial poll said that they would vote LibDem if they thought they had a chance of winning. That was a big opportunity missed by all of them who chose not to vote or to vote other than for their convictions.

Agreed. It's not much effort to vote. Just fucking do it.

That all got a bit weird, paxo went out of this way to get under ed's skin and it kinda wormed out a little angry bastard in ed. So yeah maybe he is tough but he is also a little mental.

Too much focus on his image. It is important that a leader projects confidence etc but if you're going to grill someone I'd rather it was done on policy not personality.

T-Rex.

Banned
Miliband came across quite well overall. He was asked the question about being gloomy but he was so much more passionate than Cameron about what he was saying and it showed.

Bumhead

Banned
Passionately grew into the interview as it went on and rode some tough low blows as well as I've seen anyone else from Paxman.

Infact I think Pax fluffed that a bit. I can't imagine the constant snipes about Ed's personality or that his brother should be there instead are particularly helpful to the Tories, either.

Not sure how aware Pax and others in the media are, but if you want to boil this down to personality alone it's not like Cameron is a hit.

Dabanton

I liked that Miliband challenged the pathetic image politics that toilet paper like the Sun try and do.

Who cares if his a 'geek' I find it quite distasteful that we even stoop to such shit.

Bo-Locks

He was flustered at points but turned it around imo, and the questioning from Paxman was weak / misguided and allowed Ed to emote and turn the tables.

Cameron was smoother but Ed was more passionate and human. Ed had the best and the worst moments but I don't think this will have made any significant impact on the electorate.

Jezbollah

Agreed. It's not much effort to vote. Just fucking do it.

I do think it's worth giving all parties manifesto a look to see if they reflect your own views to make a decision if a certain party deserves your vote.

Perhaps we could include links to all the manifestos in the OT as soon as they are published?

I liked that Miliband challenged the pathetic image politics that toilet paper like the Sun try and do.

Who cares if his a 'geek' I find it quite distasteful that we even stoop to such shit.

Yeah that was bollocks. I would have liked to see more challenging on how different a next Labour government would be different to the last one. That was time wasted, IMO

nib95

Banned
Annoys the shit out of me that so much emphasis is placed on personality these days. In any case Ed did come off much better than I expected.

I must admit, I reckon Ed has swung me a lot. I always saw him as a dithering negative person, but tonight I think I maybe was mistaken. Great performance despite a terrible biased Kay Burley. I reckon he would make a good pm after all.

I do give Ed in separating himself from the 2003 war decision.

But he will get destroyed by the likes of Putin on the foreign scene. It is amongst my biggest fears of a Labour government.

Amazing how you think the incompetent Putin, who has fucked his country over royally due to absolute failure in foreign politics, 'will dominate ed' on the foreign scene.

Shows how much the media sways people.

Spaghetti

anybody else not seen a lot of campaign material?

all i've seen is a tory leaflet the size of a postcard begging for the asian vote, and some fairly substantial materials from labour about achievements in the area.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
It looked like Paxman was trying to show a different side of Ed. The whole photogenic/geek issue is absolutely ridiculous that it is even being brought up, and I am glad Ed reacted accordingly.

Juicy Bob

I really want to vote Greens, like I did in Australia.

Unfortunately, the Green candidate standing in my area used to be a supply teacher at my school and she was fucking insufferable, so I can't bring myself to cross her box.

Jezbollah

Amazing how you think the incompetent Putin, who has fucked his country over royally due to absolute failure in foreign politics, 'will dominate ed' on the foreign scene.

Shows how much the media sways people.

My concern is of Miliband's perception to the international community - and I think it's valid given that he has a perception issue in his own party, let alone the people of this country.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
anybody else not seen a lot of campaign material?

all i've seen is a tory leaflet the size of a postcard begging for the asian vote, and some fairly substantial materials from labour about achievements in the area.

A bit early for that, given spending restrictions. Expect a whole load more in the weeks after the manifestos come out.

Orbis

Tonight Cameron was just more Cameron. I think with Ed we saw a different side of him tonight, should help his image a fair bit. I'm still very much an undecided voter.

kmag

I thought Paxman's brother question was a bit below the belt in the way he phrased it, and unnecessary since it had already been brought up. Paxman has a tendency to get snippy when he's challenged.

Bumhead

Banned
Annoys the shit out of me that so much emphasis is placed on personality these days. In any case Ed did come off much better than I expected.

It's just hilarious that on the "pro" side of a personality battle sits David fucking Cameron.

If that's honestly the avenue the media are going to drag this down then they're either intentionally playing games or are laughably tone deaf.

Ed did well against Paxman on the personal stuff. Not good on the policy questions though, looked very flustered.

Was it you who said that Ed basically needed not to shit his pants to get away with a decent performance?

Got polled by YouGov for it, looks like a 50/50 on who people thought won. It's as if whoever people already liked won to them.

Deadman

I liked the program overall, though some of the personal questions/attacks on milliband were a bit much.

Why are you so gloomy? Really?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/demosdebate/index.html?file=debatedata.csv

CBDr5mYWcAA744T.png:large

Was it you who said that Ed basically needed not to shit his pants to get away with a decent performance?

Got polled by YouGov for it, looks like a 50/50 on who people thought won. It's as if whoever people already liked won to them.

Indeed. He did well enough.

ICM/Guardian have it at 54:46 in favour of Dave.

Ding-Ding

Tonight Cameron was just more Cameron. I think with Ed we saw a different side of him tonight, should help his image a fair bit. I'm still very much an undecided voter.

Problem for Ed is he didn't come across as statesmanlike at all. That will only hurt his chances with most undecideds as they look for a leader.

Paxman though let Miliband off the hook. On policy questions, Miliband was completely inept. Really clueless. The Paxman went on a character attack which was not needed at all. Going on tonight though, Miliband will have major problems against Dimbleby (who will stick to policy)

Volotaire

The 7 party debate will be the real fundamental change in this election campaign.

EDIT: They Kay Burley bias is evident here. What is this about the family division in the Miliband family. This is completely irrelevant.

Same with the shredded wheat question with David Cameron and other questions.

Empty

isn't 45-55 or 50-50 pretty good for miliband. doesn't he normally get slaughtered in one on one comparison polls with cameron.

GRW810

Jeremy Paxman was typically unbearable. Didn't give either man a chance to speak, interrupting at every chance. Paxman is a man who believes the hype about the character he has created for himself. Tonight's event, for him, was all about grabbing as much attention as possible.

Uzzy

isn't 45-55 or 50-50 pretty good for miliband. doesn't he normally get slaughtered in one on one comparison polls with cameron.

Very good. Andrew Sparrow over on the Guardian makes the point that 50% of the Tories' strategy is to depict Miliband as entirely unfit for office, so good ratings for Miliband cut into that strategy.

Real Hero

Jeremy Paxman was typically unbearable. Didn't give either man a chance to speak, interrupting at every chance. Paxman is a man who believes the hype about the character he has created for himself. Tonight's event, for him, was all about grabbing as much attention as possible.
Yep, has to live up to his reputation.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

It's also basically irrelevant. The viewership figures weren't very high, so more people's impressions will be formed by the reporting of what happened than the actual result. The Telegraph, Guardian, and Times are running with Ed wins, so that'll be the momentum maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom