• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

Laguna

Banned
Demos spread the word about the game, especially when you have 5 demos that are released over a period of time. It works as advertisement. There were also TV commercial for it i think.

No one says that there was no marketing, but it´s funny that the damage control reached the level that now Bravely Default suddenly became a title with a comparable marketing budget to SS only because it sold more than Soul Sacrifice in its first week. BD even had shortages due to a low first shipment.

Kandinsky

Region free handheld on the top makes my old heart full of joy, I think I'll open a fine bottle of chilean wine to celebrate tonight, what a great week for Sony, well deserved.

Agree on your 1st statement, for example, SS should have been released around the time GE was released on PSP, what released last week should have been SS2. I'm not sure I agree with you on your second statement though.

Capcom, SE, and KojiPro will all have their AAA Japanese teams on PS4, which is a significant improvement over Vita. Exclusivity is an open question, though.

And yeah, SCEJ should have been cultivating a whole stable of handheld-specific new IP beginning on PSP. New IP can only do so much when you don't have major, established IP to give the hardware momentum.

test_account

XP-39C²
No one says that there was no marketing, but it´s funny that the damage control reached the level that now Bravely Default suddenly became a title with a comparable marketing budget to SS only because it sold more than Soul Sacrifice in its first week.
I havnt followed the discussion that much, i only wanted to point out that it got advertised in a way that made a lot of people know about the game. We know this by looking at the first week sales data.

Why are we comparing Bravely Default to Soul Sacrifice in the first place by the way? Just because they both are new IPs? They are two different games in different genres, that is a big factor to sales potential as well. Then there is also the size of the system install base to concider (although this always mean that much).

I havnt followed the discussion that much, i only wanted to point out that it got advertised in a way that made a lot of people know about the game. We know this by looking at the first week sales data.

Why are we comparing Bravely Default to Soul Sacrifice in the first place by the way? Just because they both are new IPs? They are two different games in different genres, that is a big factor to sales potential as well.

The coverage BD got was almost entirely by the development team. The marketing team started to advertise the game just before the release. The game sold well in the first week because 3DS had the target that actually followed less mainstream coverage. But the game didn't get any bundle, nor push from Nintendo.

test_account

XP-39C²
The coverage BD got was almost entirely by the development team. The marketing team started to advertise the game just before the release. The game sold well in the first week because 3DS had the target that actually followed less mainstream coverage. But the game didn't get any bundle, nor push from Nintendo.
That could be, but they got the word across that the game excisted. It worked out quite effectively it seems, seeing that over 140k people knew that the game excisted when it was released.

That could be, but they got the word across that the game excisted. It worked out quite effectively it seems, seeing that over 140k people knew that the game excisted when it was released.

There exist different degrees of marketing. There's the big push, there's the average push. There's the low effort. All indicates that BD got a fairly amount of push, but nothing comparable with a game like Soul Sacrifice. For example, I don't think BD had many demo stations, while we know that some stores were full of them for Soul Sacrifice. Also, Soul Sacrifice got a really big push from Sony, in terms of bundles, double packs, released just after a price cut, from a well-known developer. BD did well, true, but not because the big push it received (it didn't), but because it got the interest of the more informed gamers, that were (are) present on the platform. And it did way more than what Square expected, which speaks for itself.

EGM1966

Those Vita sales are like the moment in every boxing film when the challenger finally rises from the mat and the music swells all rolled into one moment of heart warming surprise. Makes me want to run up a flight of stairs.

Maedhros

What was the 3DS install base when BD was released?

How was the software schedule around that time? Did BD have much competition?

The comparison seems stupid to me. A Square jRPG on the Japanese system of choice vs. an SCEJ new IP on a supposedly 'dead' platform?

Edit: I'm aware that BD was also a new IP.

How many good JRPGs were out for 3DS when Bravely Default released? Coming from a competent team, having 5 demos, on a platforming struggling for AAA JRPG... I can't see how it wouldn't do well (of course, it was even bigger than expected).

zeopower6

Why are we comparing bravery default to SS?

Laguna brought it up randomly, I guess?

"It sold less than Bravely Default and that had no advertising push at all!" and that's what started the talk of BD vs. SS.

Didn't BD get a bunch of timed demos released on a monthly basis and commercials? I'd call that advertising. Also, the total sales of the 3DS at the time of Bravely Default's release and the total sales of the Vita at this time should be taken into consideration. The Vita hasn't been doing well overall for a variety of reasons so it's nice to see it actually rebound even if it's only temporary.

PS4 can and will do well regardless of what Vita does. Just as long as it's not $599. The games will be there.

Eh, way too early to say that. SCEJ's output historically hasn't been great from a sales perspective, and it's possible that the biggest third-party titles in the launch window will also be on PS3.

Of course, it's increasingly certain that Japanese third parties see Wii U as mostly to completely irrelevant, so that'll help.

Soriku

Eh, way too early to say that. SCEJ's output historically hasn't been great from a sales perspective, and it's possible that the biggest third-party titles in the launch window will also be on PS3.

Eventually, I mean. Traditionally first years are kind of meh. But third parties WILL support PS4 when they're ready.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Region free handheld on the top makes my old heart full of joy, I think I'll open a fine bottle of chilean wine to celebrate tonight, what a great week for Sony, well deserved.

But there's no such a thing
Likewise Vita staying on top next week :p

test_account

XP-39C²
There exist different degrees of marketing. There's the big push, there's the average push. There's the low effort. All indicates that BD got a fairly amount of push, but nothing comparable with a game like Soul Sacrifice. For example, I don't think BD had many demo stations, while we know that some stores were full of them for Soul Sacrifice. Also, Soul Sacrifice got a really big push from Sony, in terms of bundles, double packs, released just after a price cut, from a well-known developer. BD did well, true, but not because the big push it received (it didn't), but because it got the interest of the more informed gamers, that were (are) present on the platform. And it did way more than what Square expected, which speaks for itself.
That is possible, i'm not arguing about that, i'm only saying that Bravely Default was advertised in a way so that a lot of people got to know about the game.

But why are we comparing Bravely Default to Soul Sacrifice? Is it to make the Soul Sacrifice sales look bad?

Mario007

That is possible, i'm not arguing about that, i'm only saying that Bravely Default was advertised in a way so that a lot of people got to know about the game.

But why are we comparing Bravely Default to Soul Sacrifice? Is it to make the Soul Sacrifice sales look bad?

Yup. Can't be having a positive Vita story in a Media Create thread.

Soul Sacrifice did well for a new IP, especially considering the install base.

The big question is will it have any legs at all.

It doesn't seem to have inspired a great surge in Vita sales on its own, either, but we'll never know how much Vita would have dropped this week if it didn't have SS going for it.

And looking forward to the rest of the year, there's nothing to suggest Vita is 'saved' long-term either, at this point.

Now, it did very well this week and it did beat the 3DS, but one week (or two) is not going to change things around for this system permanently.

I didn't compare SS to BD. It's even stupid in my opinion. I was just replaying to people downplaying BD saying that it was "almost FF" (which in any case doesn't grant big sales) or it was from "a well-known team" (which is not true).

Anyway, BD advertisement wasn't big, and it was in line with Square Enix's expectations, that weren't so high.

LOCK

Surprised that the Vita beat the 3DS, but that really has to do with the decline in the 3DS. Seems like AC and the system are selling hand in hand. Low stock of AC seems to have had an effect.

But anyway, Congrats Sony!

Soul Sacrifice did well for a new IP, especially considering the install base.

The big question is will it have any legs at all.

It doesn't seem to have inspired a great surge in Vita sales on its own, either, but we'll never know how much Vita would have dropped this week if it didn't have SS going for it.

And looking forward to the rest of the year, there's nothing to suggest Vita is 'saved' long-term either, at this point.

Now, it did very well this week and it did beat the 3DS, but one week (or two) is not going to change things around for this system permanently.
these two weeks will not change the fate of life on a permanent basis but we do understand that if they come out the right games for and how it will change

these two weeks will not change the fate of life on a permanent basis but we do understand that if they come out the right games for and how it will change

But that's an obvious principle that applies to every system ever. GC would have beaten PS2 in Japan if it somehow had had the latter's third-party support, and Wii would still be selling decently if third parties had invested in it before the gen started instead of PS3, and Vita would at least be reasonably competitive with 3DS if PSP's third-party support had actually carried over, but none of those things actually happened.

Even the GameCube and the Dreamcast had their momentum when big games came.

Yep, and GC even outsold PS2 at least once (the week Tales of Symphonia was released). Didn't change the course of the generation, and that system had a lot more going for it software-wise than Vita.

I'd be crazy to think that an exclusive FF/DQ/GE/MH/MGS wouldn't do a ton to move hardware, but the odds of such a title materializing at this point are vanishingly small.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yup. Can't be having a positive Vita story in a Media Create thread.
Bingo. Soul Sacrifice pretty much performed to expectations though and even exceeded some.
It is a pity if that is the case i think. I can see the comparison in the way that both games are new IPs, no problem about that, but if the comparison is being done primarily to find something negative, then i dont see much reason to do that, in my opinion.

I didn't compare SS to BD. It's even stupid in my opinion. I was just replaying to people downplaying BD saying that it was "almost FF" (which in any case doesn't grant big sales) or it was from "a well-known team" (which is not true).

Anyway, BD advertisement wasn't big, and it was in line with Square Enix's expectations, that weren't so high.
Sorry, i ment it more as a general question, it wasnt aimed specifically at you. And i didnt mean to say that you compared the two games. I only wondered what caused the talk about it (which includes me, since i also talked about it) :)

That is fair enough. I think that Bravely Default saw success indeed. Seems like it will get a sequel as well, which is one sign that the first game sold within expectations.

The interest in the platform, though, is stil low. 60k units is high for Vita standards, but it's not high for a healthy platform; one would reach way higher figures with a price cut and a really hyped game (and bundles, and colors).

That is fair enough. I think that Bravely Default saw success indeed. Seems like it will get a sequel as well, which is one sign that the first game sold within expectations.

The game sold well above expectations, as many sold-outs showed.

zeopower6

Vita would at least be reasonably competitive with 3DS if PSP's third-party support had actually carried over, but none of those things actually happened.

You speak as though the Vita's been living a long life already despite having been out for only a little under a year and a half in Japan. It's pretty much going through what the PS3 did when it launched from what I can see. We can only hope that it'll eventually find its legs this year or next year.

The interest in the platform, though, is stil low. 60k units is high for Vita standards, but it's not high for a healthy platform; one would reach way higher figures with a price cut and a really hyped game (and bundles, and colors).

I think it'll probably take more new (keyword here, since a lot of what is coming out in the next few months are ports) games released on a consistent basis before we see it get 'healthy'. There's only about a dozen games coming out in the next two months or so compared to the PSP or 3DS. Though any good news is fine with me! I personally am glad that it at least maintained the momentum from last week.

This is true for any system. Where are these Vita games that are coming to change it and why haven't they been announced yet?

But that's an obvious principle that applies to every system ever. GC would have beaten PS2 in Japan if it somehow had had the latter's third-party support, and Wii would still be selling decently if third parties had invested in it before the gen started instead of PS3, and Vita would at least be reasonably competitive with 3DS if PSP's third-party support had actually carried over, but none of those things actually happened.

Yep, and GC even outsold PS2 at least once (the week Tales of Symphonia was released).
certainly agree with you, but life in this week gave a good sign for third parties

The game sold well above expectations, as many sold-outs showed.
PSVita is in his first year and a half, has just had a price cut to try to sell more consoles like Nintendo did with the 3DS at the time, does just that.
And advertise a game is not something that you should not do, indeed.

Laguna

Banned
Laguna brought it up to discredit SS's sales.

I know simple facts must hurt to some Sonyfans like you that want to celebrate mediocre sales (for a highly marketed game)/good sales for Vitas standards instead of having an honest discussion . I wasn´t even the first one to make a comparison with Bravely Default in this thread, also I don´t see any problem with it because both are new IPs and as much as it hurts you it´s just a fact that Soul Sacrifice sold less than the far less marketed Bravely Default.

zeopower6

This is true for any system. Where are these Vita games that are coming to change it and why haven't they been announced yet?

I'm only hoping there are more announcements later on in the year since most of the big titles have already come out that were announced last year. Gotta stay optimistic especially since the year is still young.

I know simple facts must hurt to some Sonyfans that want to celebrate instead of having an honest discussion like you. I wasn´t even the first one to make a comparison with Bravely Default in this thread, also I don´t see any problem with it because both are new IPs and as much as it hurts you it´s just a fact that Soul Sacrifice sold less than the far less marketed Bravely Default.

It's honestly really annoying because other than the fact that they're new IPs (and the install bases at the time of release were really different) they have NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER.

You speak as though the Vita's been living a long life already despite having been out for only a little under a year and a half in Japan. It's pretty much going through what the PS3 did when it launched from what I can see.

PS3 had numbered, mainline installments in nearly every major third-party Japanese console franchise, most of them at least initially exclusive, announced before it even launched.

By comparison, Sony was so desperate for Vita third-party announcements at TGS 2011 that their excuse for a "megaton" was an HD PS2 port that wasn't exclusive and hadn't even begun development at the time. Today, the only major third parties that are still putting out Vita titles on a semi-regular basis are NB and TK, and all their upcoming titles are either multiplatform or late ports.

The situation is not even remotely comparable.

I know simple facts must hurt to Sonyfans like you. I wasn´t even the first one to make a comparison with Bravely Default in this thread, also I don´t see any problem with it because both are new IPs and as much as it hurts you it´s just a fact that Soul Sacrifice sold less than the far less marketed Bravely Default.

wow, what a genius...
BD sold much more on 3DS cause selling 150k from a 6mln userbase is so much easier than selling from a 1,2mln system....
didn't you realize that ? rotfl, Vita haters are really amazing :D

Spiegel

I know simple facts must hurt to Sonyfans like you. I wasn´t even the first one to make a comparison with Bravely Default in this thread, also I don´t see any problem with it because both are new IPs and as much as it hurts you it´s just a fact that Soul Sacrifice sold less than the far less marketed Bravely Default.

It probably sold about the same or maybe even more if we use M-C numbers

BD - 141k
SS - 92 + 22*2 = 136k + PSN downloads (let's say a conservative ~5%) = 143k

But the comparison is still pointless. And even more pointless considering new IP can have good legs (BD).

DaBoss

I know simple facts must hurt to some Sonyfans like you that want to celebrate mediocre sales (for a highly marketed game)/good sales for Vitas standards instead of having an honest discussion . I wasn´t even the first one to make a comparison with Bravely Default in this thread, also I don´t see any problem with it because both are new IPs and as much as it hurts you it´s just a fact that Soul Sacrifice sold less than the far less marketed Bravely Default.

Searching this thread says you were the first to bring the comparison up. I don't see why one would make the comparison, they aren't really comparable.

On the other hand, those who went a bit defensive and started to claim BD:FF underperformed is bullish.

Top Bottom