• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2017 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Saving this thread for Oregano's future redemption.

Almost noones saying what Oregano's saying absolutely won't be true more that it'd be one of the most bone headedly stupid decision Capcom's ever made (and they've made a lot). In spite of that people are still bullish on the prospect because it is that stupid.

A reveal isn't sustained and important marketing, its forum fodder for fans to gush over. It is quickly forgotten and has little impact on the end result unless you sustain your marketing. A good example of this is Splatoon which fed off of its own initially positive/hype reveal and ran with it. There's been a lot of this "hype reveal" *insert months to years later* "oh there it is/is not" this gen. Everyone's been guilty of it, Zelda got delayed for years, Shenmue 3 fell off the face of the earth, Scalebound got canned, FFVII isn't coming out until we're all dead, etc...

SFV had like no sustained or even remotely beneficial marketing, with almost all of its exposure being "FGCFGCFGCFGCFGC" and the Capcom Cup, which alienated a lot of people. The subsequent tirefire just burned what little of the boat remained above water.

I would not use SFV or the deal surrounding it as anything positive. It was a product rushed to market, seemingly by Sony's involvement since Capcom wasn't running to make it if Ono is to be believed, with very poor marketing, and a 50-car pile up of a release that then got nuked when they added a rootkit. It was a total disaster.

I'd sooner leverage REVII for your point but considering that I don't even know/think that has hit expectations (or at least we haven't heard a peep on it since the initial figures), I don't even know if that's a good example of Capcom knowing what its doing or its partnerships working for it.

And, lest we all forget... since the world seems to have, DR4 also occurred somewhere. And that may as well have been a fart in a hurricane.
I think all that goes back to his point though. Capcom is the common link in these cases. I wouldn't put it on Sony's advertisement or MS being incompetent, for example.

A reveal isn't sustained and important marketing, its forum fodder for fans to gush over. It is quickly forgotten and has little impact on the end result unless you sustain your marketing. A good example of this is Splatoon which fed off of its own initially positive/hype reveal and ran with it. There's been a lot of this "hype reveal" *insert months to years later* "oh there it is/is not" this gen. Everyone's been guilty of it, Zelda got delayed for years, Shenmue 3 fell off the face of the earth, Scalebound got canned, FFVII isn't coming out until we're all dead, etc...

SFV had like no sustained or even remotely beneficial marketing, with almost all of its exposure being "FGCFGCFGCFGCFGC" and the Capcom Cup, which alienated a lot of people. The subsequent tirefire just burned what little of the boat remained above water.

I would not use SFV or the deal surrounding it as anything positive. It was a product rushed to market, seemingly by Sony's involvement since Capcom wasn't running to make it if Ono is to be believed, with very poor marketing, and a 50-car pile up of a release that then got nuked when they added a rootkit. It was a total disaster.

I'd sooner leverage REVII for your point but considering that I don't even know/think that has hit expectations (or at least we haven't heard a peep on it since the initial figures), I don't even know if that's a good example of Capcom knowing what its doing or its partnerships working for it.

And, lest we all forget... since the world seems to have, DR4 also occurred somewhere. And that may as well have been a fart in a hurricane.

I'm sorry, I don't agree at all. SFV had plenty of decent marketing.The character reveals and it's reception pre-release was actually pretty damn good. It was only as we started to move closer to release and post-betas that everything started to go down hill.

I don't believe in conflating the problems with the actual game with the marketing it received. It certainly didn't get some big AAA marketing roll out, but the marketing was probably the least of the games issues given what the game actually featured and was actually about the bestCapcom could ask for given the final product. It's not exactly easy to market non-existent features.

Vena

I think all that goes back to his point though. Capcom is the common link in these cases. I wouldn't put it on Sony's advertisement or MS being incompetent, for example.

I am not really disagreeing, at least not in a way that removes culpability from Capcom's ineptitude, but SFV is not the example I'd use and point at its reveal as "a good job in marketing". I'd not point to any of it as a "good job".

That said, I do still think that Sony and Capcom rushed the project or the latter botched it in some extreme fashion, and I say this because I recall Ono specifically saying that SFV would have been years off without the influx of cash for its exclusivity/development. In such a context, it seems a logical conclusion or assumption at least to draw that Sony had a fairly hard timetable and SFV's development ran headlong into it.

I'm sorry, I don't agree at all. SFV had plenty of decent marketing.The character reveals and it's reception pre-release was actually pretty damn good. It was only as we started to move closer to release and post-betas that everything started to go down hill.

I don't believe in conflating the problems with the actual game with the marketing it received. It certainly didn't get some big AAA marketing roll out, but the marketing was probably the least of the games issues given what the game actually featured and was actually about the bestCapcom could ask for given the final product. It's not exactly easy to market non-existent features.

Character reveals aren't marketing unless you're Smash Brothers. Otherwise its just more waves at your hardcore crowd who were already on board. Your random less core player isn't going to care if you introduced Birdie or Space Cockroach from Space.... well they may care for the latter. Smash gets away with it as a marketing tool because each character is an event from a game with a fandom, and they turn it into a theatrical show/build up.

I also say the marketing was weak because initial sales were weak. How can you say pre-release was strong/very positive and that it had good marketing, and then look at its launch sales and say "well that makes sense". The sales were bad from the word "Go", and a lot of that is owed to a poor messaging (all that bs that they kept swirling around the title about how it was *made for the FGC*, alienated half their audience) and poor marketing. The tirefire that came with release was what demolished any chance at long-term recovery, it did not retroactively go back in time and change the initial interests/sales.

I genuinely recall very little marketing at all for SFV. I recall more marketing for The Order 188-6/10.

I am not really disagreeing, at least not in a way that removes culpability from Capcom's ineptitude, but SFV is not the example I'd use and point at its reveal as "a good job in marketing". I'd not point to any of it as a "good job".

That said, I do still think that Sony and Capcom rushed the project or the latter botched it in some extreme fashion, and I say this because I recall Ono specifically saying that SFV would have been years off without the influx of cash for its exclusivity/development. In such a context, it seems a logical conclusion or assumption at least to draw that Sony had a fairly hard timetable and SFV's development ran headlong into it.

It was more so the other way around. Capcom wanted that game out before March and especially before the Capcom Cup started.

Christ almighty, over the next year or so, the arguing we get over Monster Hunter so consistently on this forum is going to start to look even more stupid than it already does.

13ruce

Banned
Best case scenario just release MH on both Ps4 and Switch. Win win for west and japanese gamers.

The portable aspect in Japan is huge killing that would hurt the series alot.

Character reveals aren't marketing unless you're Smash Brothers. Otherwise its just more waves at your hardcore crowd who were already on board. Your random less core player isn't going to care if you introduced Birdie or Space Cockroach from Space.... well they may care for the latter. Smash gets away with it as a marketing tool because each character is an event from a game with a fandom, and they turn it into a theatrical show/build up.

I also say the marketing was weak because initial sales were weak. How can you say pre-release was strong/very positive and that it had good marketing, and then look at its launch sales and say "well that makes sense". The sales were bad from the word "Go", and a lot of that is owed to a poor messaging and poor marketing. The tirefire that came with release was what demolished any chance at long-term recovery, it did not retroactively go back in time and change the initial interests/sales.

I genuinely recall very little marketing at all for SFV. I recall more marketing for The Order 188-6/10.

SFV had character reveals at various times, including events. It had the marketing outside of that too.

And I'm not sure if the Order comparison really proves your point. Order opened to about 200k in the U.S. SFV opened to about 200k in the U.S. Both games then proceeded to have terrible legs. Order was certainly marketed more than SFV, but I don't think that somehow eliminates that SFV was marketed.

And SFV sales had terrible legs but in certain places, the initial sales weren't the worst. It opened fairly well on PC for example before collapsing due to poor legs. So, yes, when I look at the initial sales, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to think, "yea this game wasn't marketed decently/well."

Opened to 200k on one platform in NA. Open to a good number on steam (100k+, which didn't' exist for SFIV as a point of comparison). Not good numbers overall sure, and absolutely terrible legs, but given the negative reception to the game that had peaked before launch and continued afterwards, that does look like to me some decent marketing in effect that drove up initial sales.

Vena

SFV had character reveals at various times, including events. It had the marketing outside of that too.

The timing of the events was not the crux of my point, its the weight of them. I do not think they have much weight at all, and as such do not consider them good marketing. They are more of a marketing fluff, they make good dressing but they need a good message to dress.

I am a firm believer that SFV lacked a good message. It had a message, mind, I just thought it was a colossally idiotic one.

And I'm not sure if the Order comparison really proves your point. Order opened to about 200k in the U.S. SFV opened to about 200k in the U.S. Both games then proceeded to have terrible legs. Order was certainly marketed more than SFV, but I don't think that somehow eliminates that SFV was marketed.

The comparison was more that both games did abysmally and I remembered more from the latter. When you open at the same level as a brand new IP maligned by pre-launch review negativity (The Order), I am unsure if you have much of a good look going for your performance.

And SFV sales had terrible legs but in certain places, the initial sales weren't the worst. It opened fairly well on PC for example before collapsing due to poor legs. So, yes, when I look at the initial sales, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to think, "yea this game wasn't marketed decently/well."

Opened to 200k on one platform in NA. Open to a good number on steam (100k+, which didn't' exist for SFIV as a point of comparison). Not good numbers overall sure, and absolutely terrible legs, but given the negative reception to the game that had peaked before launch and continued afterwards, that does look like to me some decent marketing in effect that drove up initial sales.

I'd sooner say that is the brand and the limits of your "core" group than I'd attribute any of it to marketing.

The timing of the events was not the crux of my point, its the weight of them. I do not think they have much weight at all, and as such do not consider them good marketing. They are more of a marketing fluff, they make good dressing but they need a good message to dress.

The comparison was more that both games did abysmally and I remembered more from the latter.

I'd sooner say that is the brand and the limits of your "core" group than I'd attribute any of it to marketing.

Alright, I'll just agree to disagree. I remember SFV being marketed pretty clearly and I also remember the exact points in which the pre-release reception of that game turned to shit.

Vena

I jokingly refer to them as Ubisoft Japan.

Ubisoft has hit this gen with success after success.

Capcom has hit this gen with unbridled failure, and their only succeeding brand is on a 5-6 year old 240p screen.

Alright, I'll just agree to disagree. I remember SFV being marketed pretty clearly and I also remember the exact points in which the pre-release reception of that game turned to shit.

Fair!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Christ almighty, over the next year or so, the arguing we get over Monster Hunter so consistently on this forum is going to start to look even more stupid than it already does.

MH did make a massive impact on the 3DS though no doubt about that. Even now an expansion of a spinoff can sell 1 million first week. As far as important franchises during the last gen it's earned it's place.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ubisoft has hit this gen with success after success.

Capcom has hit this gen with unbridled failure, and their only succeeding brand is on a 5-6 year old 240p screen.
You speak as if that's a negative. The profit to budget turnaround and overall consistency has been insane for them.

You don't think most publishers would kill to ship 4.1 million per year on the budget MH is on?

Even with the absolute monster that is mobile it's nothing to sniff it.

Oregano

Lets not forget no matter how poorly MHXX does, it will have (actually already has) outsold anything on PS4. Cap does make some boneheaded decisions, but they'd have to be suicidal to buy what Oregano is selling.

Almost noones saying what Oregano's saying absolutely won't be true more that it'd be one of the most bone headedly stupid decision Capcom's ever made (and they've made a lot). In spite of that people are still bullish on the prospect because it is that stupid.

Yeah I think people misunderstand me. I'm not advocating for it.

Also half of the time I'm taking the piss like the bit about MHXX showing MH is declining.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Star Ocean Amnesis is at #15 on the top mobile charts right now.

Bravely Default: Fairy's Effect has also debuted at #37 despite launching... I think a few hours ago? Certainly not more than a day or so ago, so it's still easily in the climb phase.

Square Enix might be having some non-Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest based success in the Japanese mobile industry again.

They've also announced a new partnership with Netease for a four player co-op, realtime combat game based on the Million Arthur series.

Just imagine how fun this everything should be on Switch talk would be if Pennywise was still around

What happened to him? Last I saw he was still posting, just never in Media Create threads (though that was a few months ago).

Of course it won't be a PS4 exclusive, they'll release it on PC as well.

Lol. I mean, God Eater has done well on Steam, but it's nowhere near enough to make up for the sales they'd have lost of they hadn't done a Vita version (450k vanilla/350k burst).

Unless what's holding the sales back in the west is the legions of forum posters I see saying "I hope they drop the Vita version because it's holding the series back" who I'm sure are going to turn out in full force to buy Toukiden 2 in all its open-world glory right?

/s

Realistically, how soon before MHXX lands on Switch, release wise?

Sucks for us in NA, because we'll probably have to wait a year out still for the Switch NA version.

Eolz

Realistically, how soon before MHXX lands on Switch, release wise?

Sucks for us in NA, because we'll probably have to wait a year out still for the Switch NA version.

I'd say september at the earliest (would make more sense for the west), november at the latest. Would make sense to have their launch near TGS so they could announce MH5 at the same time.

LordKano

I'd say september at the earliest (would make more sense for the west), november at the latest. Would make sense to have their launch near TGS so they could announce MH5 at the same time.

It's 2011 all over again, announcement of MH3U and MH4 in the same time lol.

Can't jump on that bitter Capcom hate train. RE7 was too good and a success. I think Capcom has handled the RE franchises well in recent times (apart from that COD spin off failure). MvsCI will probably be a success as well.

I want to know what the fuck is Itsuno working on and Deep Down's situation. And of course that PS4 MH ;)

LordKano

Can't jump on that bitter Capcom hate train. RE7 was too good and a success. I think Capcom has handled the RE franchises well in recent times (apart from that COD spin off failure). MvsCI will probably be a success as well.

I want to know what the fuck is Itsuno working on and Deep Down's situation. And of course that PS4 MH ;)

Commercially I wouldn't say RE7 was a success, compared to previous games. Especially in Japan. It might be good but people are mainly talking about sales here, I think.

Because, if we're talking about quality, Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice is one of Capcom's best release ever, even though the game still declined in sales compared to AA5.

Sandfox

I wouldn't expect much from MvC.

It isn't hate (well, not on my end anyway) but rather just acknowledging issues they have.

I mean, I have no qualms with Capcom. I would enjoy playing Deep Down and MH on PS4 if they were good.

Commercially I wouldn't say RE7 was a success, compared to previous games. Especially in Japan. It might be good but people are mainly talking about sales here, I think.

Because, if we're talking about quality, Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice is one of Capcom's best release ever, even though the game still declined in sales compared to AA5.

Early to say that. RE7 will make that 4 million goal by the end of March. Iirc RE6 did 4.2 million in a similar time frame.

I wouldn't expect much from MvC.

2 million?

It isn't hate (well, not on my end anyway) but rather just acknowledging issues they have.

I mean, I have no qualms with Capcom. I would enjoy playing Deep Down and MH on PS4 if they were good.

Dev time wise, sure but I believe they still have the talent to gain a better name once their games releases.

What if Itsuno's game, Deep Down and Monster Hunter on PS4 are all the same game.

I would be upset: 3 > 1.

Sandfox

Early to say that. RE7 will make that 4 million goal by the end of March. Iirc RE6 did 4.2 million in a similar time frame.

2 million?

Dev time wise, sure but I believe they still have the talent to gain a better name once their games releases.

I would be upset: 3 > 1.

I don't think SFV has even hit 2 million yet, and I wouldn't expect MvC to perform better than that game.

Eolz

I don't think SFV has even hit 2 million yet, and I wouldn't expect MvC to perform better than that game.

I would expect MvC to perform better than SFV. Different team, bigger IP, multiplat, and MvC3 did really well. Popular both for hardcore and casuals.
2M is a good expectation imo.

Sandfox

I would expect MvC to perform better than SFV. Different team, bigger IP, multiplat, and MvC3 did really well. Popular both for hardcore and casuals.
2M is a good expectation imo.

I got mixed up a bit in regards to how the previous games performed, so you're right. My expectations for any fighting game made by a Japanese company in 2017 are low though, especially ones from modern Capcom.

casiopao

Star Ocean Amnesis is at #15 on the top mobile charts right now.

Bravely Default: Fairy's Effect has also debuted at #37 despite launching... I think a few hours ago? Certainly not more than a day or so ago, so it's still easily in the climb phase.

Square Enix might be having some non-Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest based success in the Japanese mobile industry again.

They've also announced a new partnership with Netease for a four player co-op, realtime combat game based on the Million Arthur series.

The problem is unless your name is FF or DQ, you will see their support die up soon.

I don't know why too lol. But S-E mobile game except for some rare ones and huge IP often flounder faster. See Valkyria Profile mobile there.

hiska-kun

Media Create Sell-through

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 848.467 / NEW <72,39%> [Units shipped => 1.172.078]

First Day Sell-through {2017.03.23}

[PS4] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥7.800) - 20% Sales of western games are increasing, but that's not the case of this game...

[PS4] Farming Simulator 17 <SLG> (Intergrow) (¥6.800) - 40% low sales

[PS4] WRC 6: World Rally Championship <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.980) - 40% low sales

_____

Slow week for new releases

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but this Monster Hunter situation reminds me of Dragon Quest XI. It definitely sounds like Monster Hunter is PS4-bound, there's no denying that, but they'd be insane to not have the game on the Switch too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./18. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥4.800)
22./15. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard # <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.01.26} (¥7.990)
23./11. [NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch <Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below \ Dragon Quest Heroes II> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.03} (¥8.800)
24./21. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400)
25./20. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.01.19} (¥4.700)
26./00. [3DS] Manga-ka Debut Monogatari: Suteki na Manga o Egakou <ADV> (Nippon Columbia) {2017.03.16} (¥4.800)
27./17. [PS4] Nioh <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2017.02.09} (¥7.800)
28./22. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} (¥2.700)
29./23. [3DS] Doraemon the Movie: Nobita no Nankyoku Kachikochi Daibouken <ADV> (FuRyu) {2017.03.02} (¥5.280)
30./19. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2017.03.03} (¥4.990)
31./16. [PSV] Super Robot Wars V # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.02.23} (¥7.600)
32./27. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.06.23} (¥3.600)
33./29. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571)
34./32. [PS4] Battlefield 1 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2016.10.21} (¥7.800)
35./25. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800)
36./30. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} (¥8.400)
37./36. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700)
38./31. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800)
39./39. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400)
40./38. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.12.08} (¥4.700)
41./00. [PSV] Fata Morgana no Kan: Collected Edition <ADV> (Dramatic Create) {2017.03.16} (¥6.900)
42./45. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700)
43./46. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D [Nintendo Selects] <ADV> (Nintendo) {2016.09.15} (¥2.700)
44./33. [NSW] Disgaea 5 Complete <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980)
45./44. [PS4] FIFA 17 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2016.09.29} (¥7.800)
46./28. [PS4] For Honor <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2017.02.16} (¥8.400)
47./41. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo) {2016.12.22} (¥4.980)
48./35. [NSW] I am Setsuna <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.03} (¥4.800)
49./48. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥7.900)
50./00. [3DS] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Heroes <SLG> (Konami) {2016.12.15} (¥4.500)

Top 50

PS4 - 18
3DS - 17
NSW - 7
PSV - 5
WIU - 3

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |  1.341.000 |    538.000 |    486.000 |  7.052.000 |  6.209.000 |

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but this Monster Hunter situation reminds me of Dragon Quest XI. It definitely sounds like Monster Hunter is PS4-bound, there's no denying that, but they'd be insane to not have the game on the Switch too.

At this point PS4 and switch seem almost certain.

Next months won't be different. We are entering slow weeks for new releases from now until June, with the exception of Golden Week. Very few titles will top 100k.

The release of the switch should make these slow months pretty interesting at least.

duckroll

If GE3 isnt Switch/PS4 the market deserves to crash....lol.
Unless its out in like 2-3 months or pushes PS4 hardware to the limit - but even then they should really embrace multiplattform development if possible.

Switch seems pretty certain.

PS4 though... I mean why? It doesn't make very much sense. The only reason I won't rule it out or say it's unlikely is because it is Capcom after all.

All... Games... Must... Be... On... Switch...

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Top Bottom