• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2017 (May 08 - May 14)

jnWake

I don't know what makes less sense, a PS4 Ultra Pro or a PS4 Portable really.

A portable PS4 would surprise me because it goes against all that Sony has pushed this generation: impressive realistic graphics and better performance than competition. With that in mind a Ultra Pro makes sense but it'd heavily alienate Pro buyers so...

Vena

I don't know what makes less sense, a PS4 Ultra Pro or a PS4 Portable really.

A portable PS4 would surprise me because it goes against all that Sony has pushed this generation: impressive realistic graphics and better performance than competition. With that in mind a Ultra Pro makes sense but it'd heavily alienate Pro buyers so...

The latter is not technologically feasible.

sense

If Vita 2 did exist (which it doesn't), I can't imagine that Sony would reveal it anywhere but in the one territory where such a device wouldn't be completely DOA.
If a vita 2 exists and they hope for it to be successful then I would imagine they would focus on presenting it in their strongest market which adopted the PS4. Yes I understand handhelds are more popular in Japan and it is an uphill battle to find success in western markets with a handheld. They second tiered Japan for PS4 and probably would do the same for a supposed vita successor. They can't be successful with a handheld relying solely on Japan. They do not have strong first party ip like Nintendo to be successful. In the west they COULD be able to get bigger third party games outside indies to support their product if it is catered to their needs and easier to develop for. They would probably have an easier time than Nintendo with regards to that.

Vena

If a vita 2 exists and they hope for it to be successful then I would imagine they would focus on presenting it in their strongest market which adopted the PS4. Yes I understand handhelds are more popular in Japan and it is an uphill battle to find success in western markets with a handheld. They second tiered Japan for PS4 and probably would do the same for a supposed vita successor. They can't be successful with a handheld relying solely on Japan. They do not have strong first party ip like Nintendo to be successful. In the west they COULD be able to get bigger third party games outside indies to support their product if it is catered to their needs and easier to develop for. They would probably have an easier time than Nintendo with regards to that.

The US/EU won't buy a Vita 2. No one sane would look at the Vita and then look at a Vita 2 and trust Sony to do anything worthwhile with it, especially after they shuttered a number of studios and moved all their IP off of the Vita.

It would be a product with no first-party support and "maybe" third-party support that will end up facing the same problem that the Vita did with the perception issue of console vs. Sony portable.

The time and place for the PSP successor was years ago, and Sony did not capitalize on it. The time has now passed and Sony's internal structure has changed to focus even more heavily on their console front.

Do you think any sane person would trust Sony after the Vita?

I sure as hell won't after getting burnt from the vita. I never felt like I wasted my money until the vita. Even Persona 4 Golden wasnt worth enough on the money I wasted.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sure, still would be nice to verify people now and then :p

So, to weigh in on the verification thing:

1.) Making people give you ids or paystubs or etc only establishes that they plausibly have access to information, not that they are telling the truth. People usually took "verified" the wrong way.
2.) We can check the rest of this information at an event happening in less than 24 hours.

I sure as hell won't after getting burnt from the vita. I never felt like I wasted my money until the vita. Even Persona 4 Golden wasnt worth enough on the money I wasted.

I felt the same with the WiiU yet I bought the Switch. Not saying a new Sony handheld would be a sucess but they could try once again with a new mindset.

So, to weigh in on the verification thing:

1.) Making people give you ids or paystubs or etc only establishes that they plausibly have access to information, not that they are telling the truth. People usually took "verified" the wrong way.
2.) We can check the rest of this information at an event happening in less than 24 hours.

Sure, in this case, this is true. I won't make a big deal out of this, but it bothered me on other instances, but that's off topic.

test_account

XP-39C²

Just curious, why did you buy a system in advance that you didnt feel was worth the money at the time?

EDIT: The same goes for the WiiU.

I felt the same with the WiiU yet I bought the Switch. Not saying a new Sony handheld would be a sucess but they could try once again with a new mindset.

At least Nintendo supported it which would be the same case for Switch. With Vita Sony didn't give a shit and gave up on it within 6 months without support. Third parties didn't give a shit either other than niche Japanese developers.

WiiU was basically dead for it's last 1.5 years. It's the only Nintendo purchase I made till today that it felt like wasted money.

Im just mostly pointing out that N supported the Wii U wayyyy more than Sony did with the Vita. The Wii U got some pretty spectacular 1st party support and got pretty much the same amount as any other Nintendo console in terms of 1st party support.

sense

The US/EU won't buy a Vita 2. No one sane would look at the Vita and then look at a Vita 2 and trust Sony to do anything worthwhile with it, especially after they shuttered a number of studios and moved all their IP off of the Vita.

It would be a product with no first-party support and "maybe" third-party support that will end up facing the same problem that the Vita did with the perception issue of console vs. Sony portable.

The time and place for the PSP successor was years ago, and Sony did not capitalize on it. The time has now passed and Sony's internal structure has changed to focus even more heavily on their console front.

If they come out with the same "play console games on the go" messaging that will not work and what you say makes sense. Ideally, they would want a system that is basically a PS4 portable that can play the PS4 games but that is obviously not possible at this time or does not exist. I am envisioning a system that can play ps1, psp, vita, ps2 on PS4 games, indies, select PS4 games like crash remaster, all their collection stuff etc...use psnow for PS3 and PS4 games and most importantly be able to play mobile games. A lot of publishers make mobile spinoff versions of their games and while they can be played on your phones and tablets, the console gamers would be more interested in them if they had real controls and if it somehow ties back to the console game. They did open a mobile game studio focused on making games with their ip. Get rid of the proprietary memory card crap, price it for 200$ or less, present it as a premium controller for PS4 as well with sticks and r2/l2 and it might work.

Obviously a lot of the above is pie in the sky stuff but hey that is the path I would take. No point trying to move their first party studios away from PS4. So make it clear with the messaging to not expect big AAA console style games.

Jigorath

Banned
Why is there a Vita 2 argument every week? It's never happening.

I also haven't seen anything reasonably suggesting the idea of a Pro 2. First of all it makes no sense to exist when the Pro is a niche product sales-wise and if it did exist then it probably would have been leaked months ago. Maybe a cheaper Pro Slim for the holidays?

Interfectum

Could a "PS4 Portable" work, in theory, if Sony required devs to downport existing/new PS4 games to a new binary to work with new, portable architecture? Similar to how UE4 and Unity work, only this is built in to Sony's SDK?

Takao

Banned
I kind of want to see an Ultimate PS4 Pro Plus Championship Edition DX because the amount of (deserved) backlash would be hysterical. The only thing better would be a greatly enhanced PSVR 2 this year, since I doubt anyone feels like their purchase of the first one has been justified yet.

Maxinas

If they come out with the same "play console games on the go" messaging that will not work and what you say makes sense. Ideally, they would want a system that is basically a PS4 portable that can play the PS4 games but that is obviously not possible at this time or does not exist. I am envisioning a system that can play ps1, psp, vita, ps2 on PS4 games, indies, select PS4 games like crash remaster, all their collection stuff etc...use psnow for PS3 and PS4 games and most importantly be able to play mobile games. A lot of publishers make mobile spinoff versions of their games and while they can be played on your phones and tablets, the console gamers would be more interested in them if they had real controls and if it somehow ties back to the console game. They did open a mobile game studio focused on making games with their ip. Get rid of the proprietary memory card crap, price it for 200$ or less, present it as a premium controller for PS4 as well with sticks and r2/l2 and it might work.

Obviously a lot of the above is pie in the sky stuff but hey that is the path I would take. No point trying to move their first party studios away from PS4. So make it clear with the messaging to not expect big AAA console style games.

Call it the PS4 U. It will sell like hotcakes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Could a "PS4 Portable" work, in theory, if Sony required devs to downport existing/new PS4 games to a new binary to work with new, portable architecture? Similar to how UE4 and Unity work, only this is built in to Sony's SDK?

Some things are frankly just not going to work, and Sony would generate nothing but bad will among developers doing this.

sense

I kind of want to see an Ultimate PS4 Pro Plus Championship Edition DX because the amount of (deserved) backlash would be hysterical. The only thing better would be a greatly enhanced PSVR 2 this year, since I doubt anyone feels like their purchase of the first one has been justified yet.
Why is there a Vita 2 argument every week? It's never happening.

I also haven't seen anything reasonably suggesting the idea of a Pro 2. First of all it makes no sense to exist when the Pro is a niche product sales-wise and if it did exist then it probably would have been leaked months ago. Maybe a cheaper Pro Slim for the holidays?
I would argue vita 2 is more likely than psvr2, PS4 pro pro or a pro slim one year out

Interfectum

Some things are frankly just not going to work, and Sony would generate nothing but bad will among developers doing this.

Aside from Sony dropping the ball with Vita, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be worth a shot. It would almost certainly do better than their PSVR initiative.

Interfectum

They are not going to make a Vita 2 or a pro pro. This is dumb. At least a PS4 portable is somewhat realistic.

For sure. Sony will never make another portable that requires an all new library of games. If they do a new portable it will, somehow, utilize existing games and live within their current development pipeline.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
WiiU was basically dead for it's last 1.5 years. It's the only Nintendo purchase I made till today that it felt like wasted money.

Not for its early abandoning right?
I mean every N home console have been abandoned for many months while prepping the launch of the new following hw

PS4P would only work if there is little to no effort required to port PS4 games. Bsscially every PS4 game is guaranteed to run on it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aside from Sony dropping the ball with Vita, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be worth a shot. It would almost certainly do better than their PSVR initiative.

Essentially the hardware you're asking for doesn't exist.

You have to make a handheld that outputs to televisions if you want to do this, and make that the home console.

Interfectum

Essentially the hardware you're asking for doesn't exist.

You have to make a handheld that outputs to televisions if you want to do this, and make that the home console.

I'm not asking if it's possible to take a PS4, shrink it down and make it portable. Obviously that's not happening anytime soon.

How powerful would a brand new Vita released in 2017 be? Take that 2017 Vita, rebrand it as Playstation 4 Portable and make an SDK that could "easily" downport existing PS4 games to it (obviously a challenge as the games would surely have to jump architecture). Also, encourage devs to port all of their new PS4 titles to the PS4P as well.

My question is, how practical is this and would there be a market for it? I'm guessing from some of the reactions here, not so good.

Waji

even if the shipments increase from 40-50k to 50-60k it still won't be enough for splatoon, and the situation will be much worse because their is supposedly a pokemon game coming to the system after that
I really don't see pokemon this year.
Was Nintendo naïve enough to think Zelda, MK, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario....... AND pokemon, wouldn't require that many Switch (and that's, without counting many other games) ?
It would mean they really didn't believe in the console at all, or they planned the production to be much better in the second half of the year.

But if there is, then I guess it could easily be impossible to find for a loooong time.

Eolz

y1CNnbU.jpg

Yesssss.

Yes, its a Pro Pro.

The PS4 Proer? The PS4 Most Proest? The PS4 Best Pro? The PS4 Biggest Crowds? The PS4 Electoral College?

Pro²
Sounds logical to me to be honest. Especially since the Scorpio won't really threaten them.

test_account

XP-39C²
At least Nintendo supported it which would be the same case for Switch. With Vita Sony didn't give a shit and gave up on it within 6 months without support. Third parties didn't give a shit either other than niche Japanese developers.
Thats not true. Sony published Vita games into 2015. Not really need for hyperbole in a thread thats mainly about numbers and statistics :)

PSP support clouded my judgment.
Thats fair enough.

Pro²
Sounds logical to me to be honest. Especially since the Scorpio won't really threaten them.
PS4 pro was released about half a year ago, i cant see them announcing yet another system now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So this new mysterious Sony portable will be the "MH coming to Vita/PS3/PS4" of this generation right ?

I'm not asking if it's possible to take a PS4, shrink it down and make it portable. Obviously that's not happening anytime soon.

How powerful would a brand new Vita released in 2017 be?

Probably about just as powerful as a Switch. I mean it sure seems like that is about as powerful as a handheld you can get before the battery life becomes absolute crap or it needs throttled due to heat

Eolz

PS4 pro was released about half a year ago, i cant see them announcing yet another system now.

Oh no I don't see them announcing it soon either, but I see it happening at next E3 for a summer release for example.
But I can definitely see that happening instead of a PS5.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Compared to the Wii it was actually a lot better wasn't it? Early 2016 gave Pokken Tournament, Twilight Princess HD & Star Fox Zero/Guard (March / April).

After that there wasn't much except Paper Mario Color Splash to be honest, but given that was 6 months before Switch that's not too surprising.\

Also honestly, I'm pretty sure if Sony were to release another handheld, they'd call it the PSP2 and try to pretend the Vita never existed. But yeh it definitely isn't happening lol.

Man, what a shitty week. Much harder drop for the Switch than I was expecting. Honestly everything is lower than I expected. Hopefully Nintendo can get the stock situation sorted out for the Switch and we see it return to a 40k-50k baseline before ARMS hits. At least Zelda is maintaining a ~50% attach rate.
I hope they also bring stuff like Yomawari to Switch.
I would love it if they ported Shin Yomawari to the Switch. Or even a double pack including both games. I loved the first one on the Vita, so it'd be cool if the series was ported to a Nintendo system.
Compared to the Wii it was actually a lot better wasn't it? Early 2016 gave Pokken Tournament, Twilight Princess HD & Star Fox Zero/Guard (March / April).
After that there wasn't much except Paper Mario Color Splash to be honest, but given that was 6 months before Switch that's not too surprising.\
There was also Tokyo Mirage Sessions in June, which is arguably one of the best games on the system. Man, I'd love to get a sequel for it.

Top Bottom