• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

I agree with your assessment about devs probably working to get ps4/switch games easily ported to one another.

In FFXVs case, they might have decided its easier to just remake the game than try to port it to switch, but most japanese games probably wont be as difficult to port.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ah, so soon maybe a better judgment at the situation can be taken

we've already seen a decent amount of announcements last 3 weeks. For the most part they aren't huge epic releases, but the trend line looks pretty clear to me.

MoonFrog

Final Fantasy 15 hints for Switch is a good sign that Japanese developers will try to figure out how to make scalable engines between Switch and PS4. Its not an easy task but heres the thing, A Switch/PS4 multiplatform strategy is easier to achieve then a 3DS/PS4 strategy. Switch will be the dominant platform in Japan and it could mean sales growth for a lot of the franchises that slowed down a lot in Japan while on the other hand also fits perfectly well with the western focus. The Switch is a real opportunity for Japanese devs to have more sales from their more western heavy IP. In a hypotethical scenario where FF15 released on both Switch and PS4, it would probably end up doing much better and closer to previous levels of the series.
Yep. Just weeks ago KTSlime and I were talking in these threads about how FF would need to be on mobile and/or Switch to do better in Japan and I think we both shook our head a bit to the effect of "but they won't. FFXV can't be made to fit those platforms and XVI will be made the same way. FF is just going to leave Japan behind wrt its mainline entries."

So I was quite surprised with the recent FFXV talk. It is a very good sign for SE's interest in Switch and in Japan; unexpected imo.

Why do you always single out 'Japanese games' as the metric for 3rd party support?

Those raw list of games announced/released are plagued with a bunch of games that barely sell 20-50k units but hey, they are Japanese, while they exclude way bigger games like CoD, GTA, Destiny, EA&Ubi games, etc.

The question is rhetoric, by the way.

It might be rhetorical but I'm gonna answer it anyway. The reason Japanese support is used as a metric for Japan instead of total support is that because the growth in the market is driven by big Japanese franchises for the most part.

Within the last 10 years we've seen am expansion in the ability of Western titles to launch to solid numbers but it hasn't been the case an rule historically. Do I think Western support is good and relevant to this market? It's starting to be yes. Do I think that Westrrn games really matter in determining how well a system is going to do in Japan? Nope. Domestic games are king.

That's why the discussion os always focused on Japanese publishers and their plans. That doesn't mean we think selling 100k+ of the Witcher 3 or 200k+ of horizon or millions of minecraft is irrelevant

Rncewind

we've already seen a decent amount of announcements last 3 weeks. For the most part they aren't huge epic releases, but the trend line looks pretty clear to me.

nah i meant in the context of the post i quoted from sasuke as in its logical we dont see not muc/any games at e3 because it was to close to launch, not in grand scheme of things

Fiendcode

Why do you always single out 'Japanese games' as the metric for 3rd party support?
Why are you asking this question in a Japanese sales thread?

The original rumour was wrong in basically everything and we've gone through it a dozen times already in these threads.
The only things it got explicitly wrong were the final title (5 instead of World) and that it's multiplatform (although it is in Japan). As far as rumors go it seems to have had a pretty decent batting average so far.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Also, the west is a non-entity in the handheld market, which dominates much of the Japanese dedicated gaming market.

I agree with your assessment about devs probably working to get ps4/switch games easily ported to one another.

In FFXVs case, they might have decided its easier to just remake the game than try to port it to switch, but most japanese games probably wont be as difficult to port.

Is it worth to make a remake of the game, though? A remake would probably take about the same effort involved in an original game for the PS3, and It wouldn't come any time soon. Unless you are suggesting that they are building upon the mobile version, which also would require and important effort to be considered as a separated entry.

mao2

KT are basically the heroes of Switch. Let's review...

*rolls out mile long list*

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (with SE)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 + Power-Up Kit
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi
Championship Jockey Special
Winning Post 2017 Special
Nights of Azure 2
Atelier Lydie & Soeur: The Alchemists of the Mysterious Painting
Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires
Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
Fire Emblem Warriors (with Nintendo)

GOD DAMN.

We really just need Ninja Gaiden, Toukiden, and Hyrule Warriors to basically cover the rest really. We could see Attack on Titan 2 (maybe with the 1st?). KT are sure full of surprises.
If they're heroes of Switch, then what are they on PlayStation? Gods? :p

D.Lo

The original rumour was wrong in basically everything and we've gone through it a dozen times already in these threads.
It predicted a game called XX (true) and MH5 on PS4/PC/XB but not on Switch (true). Not an easy prediction to make in either case, let alone combined, since nobody had any idea what an X sequel would be called, and MH5 on PS4 sounded insane at the time since it's a franchise that only sells well in Japan on portables, and PS4 has sold relatively poorly in Japan.

The only things 'wrong' were QTEs in the game, a confused but easily reconciled narrative (Sony were desperate for Japan but wanted a westernised game, reconcilable by seeing it as a compromise between the two sensibilities) and the rest is still future stuff (MH5P for Switch) and unverifiable political conjecture (Sony paying for it not to be on Switch, and Capcom panicking internally).

schuelma

I think its been covered, but if anyone can give a remotely feasible reason for TK to release 3 musou games on one platform on the same day, I'm all ears.

ksamedi

I think its been covered, but if anyone can give a remotely feasible reason for TK to release 3 musou games on one platform on the same day, I'm all ears.
I think its a low wffort low sales expectations kind of thing. But if you have enough titles it can bring in a healthy profit.

schuelma

I think its a low wffort low sales expectations kind of thing. But if you have enough titles it can bring in a healthy profit.

Yeah but at least like space them out within a few weeks. I don't get it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It predicted a game called XX (true) and MH5 on PS4/PC/XB but not on Switch (true). Not an easy prediction to make in either case, let alone combined, since nobody had any idea what an X sequel would be called, and MH5 on PS4 sounded insane at the time since it's a franchise that only sells well in Japan on portables, and PS4 has sold relatively poorly in Japan.

The only things 'wrong' were QTEs in the game, a confused but easily reconciled narrative (Sony were desperate for Japan but wanted a westernised game, reconcilable by seeing it as a compromise between the two sensibilities) and the rest is still future stuff (MH5P for Switch) and unverifiable political conjecture (Sony paying for it not to be on Switch, and Capcom panicking internally).
It also predicted a XX port on the switch which is difficult to reconcile with MHW skipping the switch unless said person had an idea of what Capcom was actually doing.

Because even now it's a fairly baffling decision if they have no plans of a follow up.

Fiendcode

Koei Tecmo should throw out some Team Ninja ports too like DOA5LR or a Ninja Gaiden trilogy. I wonder if Toukiden will ever find it's way to Switch?

schuelma

Because even now it's a fairly baffling decision if they have no plans of a follow up.

There is a gaf poster who called MH World (down to the name) who has said in numerous posts Capcom is working on a Switch Monster Hunter title.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
How much do you guys reckon that Undertale has sold so far?

There is a gaf poster who called MH World (down to the name) who has said in numerous posts Capcom is working on a Switch Monster Hunter title.

Well, they technically were until today.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's a baffling decsions no matter how you slice it frankly.
It would have worked if it launched with the 3DS version. Would have been easy money regardless considering the usual console launch draught. Especially with a follow up planned.

It's totally pointless now though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
And not just Capcom. Actually, they are of the few developers that haven't openly admitted to be taken by surprise, which makes they slow reaction even more baffling.

capcom clearly didn't expect much from switch. it is what it is.

Even so, it still seems like the world's biggest waste of resources to split your biggest franchise that you are trying to grow internationally into 2 teams developing 2 different lines of games that you wont even committ to localizing.

Why don't you just make the series multiplatform with Switch. Or just firnly pick a platform set and stick with it? I don't think they can sustainably release this many MH games on this many platforms and not get burned.

It's a yearly franchise. Can they release yearly on the console infrastructure? Are they going to go insane on paid DLC? Are they gonna not localize the new Switch title (which would be dumb). Are they going to localize it and have 2 basically fundamentally identical games compete?

Fdkn

No it wasn't it predicted xx switch version and MHX. That's not the easiest combination of games to predict regardless of how you look at it.

If we omit the wrong claims of westernized and casualized gameplay, the missing weapons from previous games, the claims of QTE filled garbage, the fact that it didn't even get the name of the game right, and the ludicrous claim of Sony paying for the game to not release exclusively on Switch while it releases on every other platform, on a game that started development long before the Switch existed even as a concept, sure, it was right.

Why are you asking this question in a Japanese sales thread?

Because in a Japanese sales thread we get sales of non-japanese games. In the same way, we discuss japanese games in western sales threads.

It might be rhetorical but I'm gonna answer it anyway. The reason Japanese support is used as a metric for Japan instead of total support is that because the growth in the market is driven by big Japanese franchises for the most part.

Within the last 10 years we've seen am expansion in the ability of Western titles to launch to solid numbers but it hasn't been the case an rule historically. Do I think Western support is good and relevant to this market? It's starting to be yes. Do I think that Westrrn games really matter in determining how well a system is going to do in Japan? Nope. Domestic games are king.

That's why the discussion os always focused on Japanese publishers and their plans. That doesn't mean we think selling 100k+ of the Witcher 3 or 200k+ of horizon or millions of minecraft is irrelevant

If you want to convince me or anyone that any random NIS bomba or KT low budget 5th port of the same game, to set some examples, are a bigger growing factor for the market than the big western games, I have a bridge to sell you.

If you want to argue what 3rd party games are important for a system to do well, you can exclude mosf of those lists and talk only about Square Enix, Bandai Namco and Monster Hunter, because we've already stablished in the last few months/years that Capcom is irrelevant for everything else they do.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And not just Capcom. Actually, they are of the few developers that haven't openly admitted to be taken by surprise, which makes they slow reaction even more baffling.
Japanese developers are slow in the uptake regardless.

The issue is, is that this was the only portable console Japan was going to have for this generation. Even if the switch were to bomb worldwide it was highly unlikely to outright bomb in Japan so mid tier Japan focused support was it's natural home anyway.

Not even that was announced at launch in any great quabtities which shows a total lack of foresight. You don't see western publishers waiting to see if the ps4 or xb1 did well before fully jumping on board.

schuelma

Because in a Japanese sales thread we get sales of non-japanese games. In the same way, we discuss japanese games in western sales threads.

Obviously Western games can be impactful to the market, etc. - I just find it much cleaner to discuss Japanese games and publishers in this thread since those games are still by and large a lot more important to the market.

If you want to convince me or anyone that any random NIS bomba or KT low budget 5th port of the same game, to set some examples, are a bigger growing factor for the market than the big western games, I have a bridge to sell you.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I don't really care what you are trying to project here. I'm telling you why the discussion is the way it is historically. I am not saying that Fate Excella or wharever th fuck it's called is a bigger deal than ghost recon wildlands. I'm saying Western games dont drive install base and arent focused on this market for success.

If you want to argue what 3rd party games are important for a system to do well, you can exclude mosf of those lists and talk only about Square Enix, Bandai Namco and Monster Hunter, because we've already stablished in the last few months/years that Capcom is irrelevant for everything else they do.

Did you even read what I said?

It's kind of annoying that I'm actually giving you a genuine response and you're ignoring the total context of my post. Do you just want to argue just to argue?

Fukuzatsu

If they're heroes of Switch, then what are they on PlayStation? Gods? :p

For those curious (since I was), here are the Koei-Tecmo games out on PS4 that Switch is not currently scheduled for release to get, as far as I could tell:

Nioh
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (the version after Empires)
Dynasty Warriors: Godseekers (strategy game similar to Dynasty Tactics)
Samurai Warriors 4, 4-II, Empires (games of which Spirit of Sanada is a spin-off)
Warriors All-Stars
Berserk & The Band of the Hawk
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey
Toukiden: Kiwami
Toukiden 2
Nights of Azure 1
Dead or Alive 5
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
Blue Reflection
Winning Post World 8 (same series as the aforementioned Winning Post 2017)

Of course they do, on the platforms they release.

List out the Western titles that has driven the install base of their respective systems that we are ignoring. Don't list Minecraft because we don't ignore that title pretty much ever.

Go ahead.

PS4 got a lot of western games in Japan that first year. How well did those drive the install base?

He isn't arguing in good faith.

noshten

Outside of Minecraft I can't really think of a Western 3rd Party game as a system seller in Japan. I think overall they are extremely important but won't impact how successful the Switch is in Japan in anyway.

Fukuzatsu

PS4 got a lot of western games in Japan that first year. How well did those drive the install base?

I mean it's hard to say, but even in Japan I'm pretty sure GTAV is something like the 3rd best-selling PS4 game (if you combine price-cut and original editions, last available numbers for each put it at around 526k). Battlefield 1 (261k), Rainbow Six Siege (211k), and Horizon (205k) are also somewhere in or near the top 15, going by Media Create's last available numbers.

Fdkn

They were also on ps3.

List out the Western titles that has driven the install base of their respective systems that we are ignoring. Don't list Minecraft because we don't ignore that title pretty much ever.

Go ahead.

The effect is made by all of them combined? I mean, that's exactly the same that happens with most mid tier japanese games. One game does nothing, 30 of them become an incentive for buyers that like those things. GTA V is over a million btw, that's more of what most japanese games can say.

You won't see high spikes of buyers like when FF or DQ release, but it's the constant stream of games what makes those 'baselines' keep going for the different periods of the year.

He isn't arguing in good faith.

I'm sorry, what?

It's kind of annoying that I'm actually giving you a genuine response and you're ignoring the total context of my post. Do you just want to argue just to make your prefered platform look better in comparison to the Switch?

Fixed for accuracy.

It's obvious what Fdkn is doing.

schuelma

Western games had a lot of sales on PS4 in Japan year 1. GTAV, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Destiny, and Watch Dogs all did pretty well.

The question was how did they drive the install base. Yes, some western titles did well- but how did those western titles help drive PS4 hardware sales?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, If Capcom doesn't get smart, I can see their strong grasp on school kids after-school time weakening by western local-lan games like Rocket League or FIFA.

Also, the west is a non-entity in the handheld market, which dominates much of the Japanese dedicated gaming market.

Is it worth to make a remake of the game, though? A remake would probably about the same effort involved in an original game for the PS3, and It wouldn't come any time soon. Unless you are suggesting that they are building upon the mobile version, which also would require and important effort to be considered as a separated entry.

Id like to see SE use the DQ11 strategy for thier other games. Let them go all out on Playstation and PC, if the game cant run on nintendos system them make a 2d or ps2ish version for nintnendo and mobile.

Fiendcode

The effect is made by all of them combined? I mean, that's exactly the same that happens with most mid tier japanese games. One game does nothing, 30 of them become an incentive for buyers that like those things. GTA V is over a million btw, that's more of what most japanese games can say.

You won't see high spikes of buyers like when FF or DQ release, but it's the constant stream of games what makes those 'baselines' keep going for the different periods of the year.
Yes that certainly worked out well for every Xbox.

The effect is made by all of them combined?

Is the effect of all the Western titles anywhere close to the effect of all the Japanese titles?

GTA V is over a million btw, that's more of what most japanese games can say.

Since when have we ever ignored GTA5? If it's relevant or notable it's not ignored. So agin. Just provide the list of all these titles we are ignoring. Because I don't think the reason is we are sagmying they don't matter at all. We are saying they are not the major sources of growth in the Japanese market.

I'd argue the Western titles are not the ones propping up the baseline.

Fukuzatsu

How close is Final Fantasy XV PS4 to one million copies sold in Japan?

3 weeks ago Famitsu had it at 995,000, so I'd imagine somewhere right around now. It was at 945,000 last time it was specifically reported on MC, but it's been sticking around the 30s and 40s since then, so it seems like a safe bet to say it's crossed 1m retail.

Top Bottom