• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

Sandfox

I know expectations are low, what kind of numbers do you guys see Paper Mario doing?

It's really weird reading the past page and seeing how people have no idea about what they talk about. :/

I don't even feel like correcting stuff because it's painful watching someone who has no idea about a market continue to talk more and more about it, throwing buzzwords and brand names around without knowing what any of them mean. What a waste of time.

That how we learn lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's really weird reading the past page and seeing how people have no idea about what they talk about. :/

I don't even feel like correcting stuff because it's painful watching someone who has no idea about a market continue to talk more and more about it, throwing buzzwords and brand names around without knowing what any of them mean. What a waste of time.

Fantasy Acquisitions~

Oh wow. It's 2013 and we're back in "Nintendo should buy xyz" mode again.

I mean, I suppose I should be grateful that the thread is lively again, but still. Reminds me of the late PS3 era when Sony should've bought every independent second party dev like Insomniac and Ready at Dawn which worked so well for them with Bigbig / Evolution / Zipper / Media Molecule!

Rather than just cultivating second-party relationships like they've done with Insomniac. Yes, I get that Insomniac can up sticks and make Sunset Overdrive for Microsoft, but they came right back to Sony after that.

And as previously mentioned, that's the approach Nintendo should be taking - exactly what they're doing, imo. I don't see what they have to gain from acquiring the dead core musou games just to have to licence them out like Koei Tecmo are already doing, etc., rather than just hiring Tecmo Koei to develop games for them while cultivating their own internal studios.

along with buying the IPs including Bomberman and Bloody Roar.

Of all the... 'interesting' things you've said in this thread, this one is by far the most baffling to me. What on earth would Nintendo gain from buying a fighting game IP that's been dead for 13 years and has had exactly one entry released on Nintendo consoles in the current climate?

The company I wonder most about in the next five years is Nippon Ichi. They are in for some interesting times if the Vita isn't replaced by a Sony product or they won't/can't adapt to the NX. PS4 and super late Steam versions isn't going to cut it.

What's interesting about NIS is that they were barely on board with Vita in the first couple of years. Between launch and the end of 2013 they released a total of 3 games - ports of Criminal Girls & Disgaea, along with one Visual Novel (Special Reporting Division).

Following that they just seemed to explode with support on the platform and I've no idea what caused it. I know they were always big on the PSP but still, it felt like they were clinging on to PS3 for as long as they could before an inevitable shift to PS4 (despite games bombing left right and centre like Awakened Fate; Z/X etc.)

With their PS4 efforts so far achieving incredibly lukewarm sales (I'm not convinced Witch & Hundred Knight 2 is going to do anything and Disgaea 5 was a bit of a domestic disaster) they are going to have to re-think things.

That said, I don't really think they've really had that many massive hits on Vita. The Disgaea remakes sold predictably well and Coven/Yomawari seemed to beat expectations, but their releases are littered with poor sales on the way too (Criminal Girls 2; Hero Must Die; World's Longest Five Minutes etc.)

It is gonna be interesting to see what happens with them. I genuinely wonder whether western Steam porting might be the key to keeping themselves alive.

Of all the... 'interesting' things you've said in this thread, this one is by far the most baffling to me. What on earth would Nintendo gain from buying a fighting game IP that's been dead for 13 years and has had exactly one entry released on Nintendo consoles in the current climate?

Nintendo don't have an original fighting IP (as in not including Pokken and does Smash even count?) and as said it was a Hudson IP.

It's just an idea. Not that the IP is a huge seller or anything, but still.

Nintendo don't have an original fighting IP (as in not including Pokken and does Smash even count?) and as said it was a Hudson IP.

It's just an idea. Not that the IP is a huge seller or anything, but still.

Why do they need an original fighting IP? The market for them is in tatters on consoles.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What's interesting about NIS is that they were barely on board with Vita in the first couple of years. Between launch and the end of 2013 they released a total of 3 games - ports of Criminal Girls & Disgaea, along with one Visual Novel (Special Reporting Division).

Following that they just seemed to explode with support on the platform and I've no idea what caused it. I know they were always big on the PSP but still, it felt like they were clinging on to PS3 for as long as they could before an inevitable shift to PS4 (despite games bombing left right and centre like Awakened Fate; Z/X etc.)

With their PS4 efforts so far achieving incredibly lukewarm sales (I'm not convinced Witch & Hundred Knight 2 is going to do anything and Disgaea 5 was a bit of a domestic disaster) they are going to have to re-think things.

That said, I don't really think they've really had that many massive hits on Vita. The Disgaea remakes sold predictably well and Coven/Yomawari seemed to beat expectations, but their releases are littered with poor sales on the way too (Criminal Girls 2; Hero Must Die; World's Longest Five Minutes etc.)

It is gonna be interesting to see what happens with them. I genuinely wonder whether western Steam porting might be the key to keeping themselves alive.
I think it would be a strange decision by them (though not unthinkable, considering their low support for Nintendo systems) not to fully support NX in the future. At least if there really is no PSP3 and NX really is basically a PSP3 with TV out.

Diversity? :p

I can get why as a fan looking in, diversity is always good. List wars are always littered with the kind of stuff that shows a console manufacturer has x in y genre and so on.

But yeah. Nintendo already tried diversity on WiiU with things like Bayonetta; Fatal Frame; Xenoblade etc. In a vacuum some of the sales of these titles were fine, but they did little to help hardware or other titles to come to the platform, so I'm really not seeing the benefit here.

It'd probably be especially bad for something like Bloody Roar. At least Pokken had IP familiarity behind it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aha. I can see that. But if that is the case, don't that mean Wright Flyer is more or less GREE? Just rebranding? As the devs should still be of the same group.

DeNa, Gree and Mobage is the three big pillar of mobile game before right? it is quite shocking that all three falter vs the other new big three COLOPL, Mixi and Gungho right now lol.

Mobile market is really running like crazy.
Mobage is just the name of DeNA's browser game platform.

GREE and Wright Flyer are slightly different in the same way that all DICE employees are EA employees, but not all EA employees are DICE employees.

Because they're probably the only large Japanese console publisher that can even afford to buy anyone now.
Sega has been the most active acquisitor by far between Relic, Atlus, Demiurge, and Amplitude, but they're effectively a cash rich mobile publisher.

eFKac

Why nintendo, of all companies, get the biggest number of "should buy" discussions?

Because they have the least games.

PlayStation and Xbox don't really need to buy anyone because they have full third party support. Nintendo never will, so their fans (fanboys more probably) want them to buy devs so they would have more games to play on the hardware. Sometimes that talk is cloaked under sales and business discussion, but it comes down to that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The talks are all BS but Nintendo is the perfect cross section of "has money" and "needs more software".
Do they really though? You're never going to generate enough sales to float a platform by yourself and they already put out lots of non-impactful software on a regular basis.

I think people just want more games on their favorite platform so they keep going on about how Nintendo needs to buy redundant or low impact software they like even though the costs are obscene.

Not many of the suggestions happening are of the form "Turn a static pile of cash into a very health cash flow." which is what you're actually looking for in an acquisition.

Thinking about it, Sony has probably actually shut down more studios than they've bought lately by a long shot, but the reason they succeeded was reenvisioning their platform instead of their first party line-up.

MacTag

Banned
Sega has been the most active acquisitor by far between Relic, Atlus, Demiurge, and Amplitude, but they're effectively a cash rich mobile publisher.
Right, in my mind Sega's already transitioned. They're (1st) mobile, (2nd) PC and (distant 3rd) console. Actually console might even be 4th now behind amusement.

Aters

Nintendo have the best devs in Japan and there aren't any Japanese IPs out there worth buying except maybe Dragon Quest which they can't afford. L5, KT and Idea Factory don't mean shit. Soon Capcom will be on that list too.

Do Nintendo want to actually make mobile game one of their pillers?

Do they really though? You're never going to generate enough sales to float a platform by yourself and they already put out lots of non-impactful software on a regular basis.

I think people just want more games on their favorite platform so they keep going on about how Nintendo needs to buy redundant or low impact software they like even though the costs are obscene.

Not many of the suggestions happening are of the form "Turn a static pile of cash into a very health cash flow." which is what you're actually looking for in an acquisition.

Thinking about it, Sony has probably actually shut down more studios than they've bought lately by a long shot, but the reason they succeeded was reenvisioning their platform instead of their first party line-up.
Exactly.

That is what I was getting at on the last page. What good will come from any of the "Big 3" buying notable companies? Would it be awesome for the company you prefer out of the big 3 to pick up companies to widen their software options and increase their general output? Heck yeah. Does it make sense as a viable business strategy given everything we currently know? Big nope.

You've got to be able to separate fan desire from business. Seeing headlines with Nintendo acquires company X, Y and Z won't be worth it if nothing really comes from it aside from strengthening lists in online wars.

MacTag

Banned
Nintendo's interests in acquisition probably are better served looking west and outside actual games r&d anyway. Their last buy (Mobiclip) seems to have paid off and falls outside both categories. With Mobiclip Nintendo gained a portfolio of valuable video codecs and as NERD the company's developed a variety of platform specific technologies (super stable 3D, DS Virtual Console, Wii eShop downloads) and their work in streaming and distributed computing seems like it might be key to the evolution of future Nintendo platforms.

Why nintendo, of all companies, get the biggest number of "should buy" discussions?

cause it's fun, as it happened for Atlus : nintendo will buy Atlus, only nintendo can save Atlus, Atlus needs nintendo, nintendo would be the perfect partner for Atlus

and then.......

#segadoeswhatnintendont :D

Oregano

Well Nintendo directly said their goal is to float their platform on their own and they clearly put some decent money to serving niches with stuff like Xenoblade and Bayonetta. Of course whether it's realistic or feasible is another question.

But yes a lot of the discussion comes down to "I like x franchise and y platform, y platform holder should totally buy x franchise's developer!".

MacTag

Banned
cause it's fun, as it happened for Atlus : nintendo will buy Atlus, only nintendo can save Atlus, Atlus needs nintendo, nintendo would be the perfect partner for Atlus

and then.......

Atlus never made much sense since Nintendo gets most of their games anyway. If Nintendo had really wanted to make a new support securing and competitively disruptive developer purchase the past several years then someone like From Software would've been more logical.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

and then.......

What's perfect about Persona series, which is known to be on the PlayStation, probably Atlus's most revered and best selling franchise suddenly switching platforms and is exclusive to that at this current day and age. :p

It's like Professor Layton suddenly going exclusive to Vita or Disgaea suddenly going exclusive to Xbox.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nintendo's interests in acquisition probably are better served looking west and outside actual games r&d anyway. Their last buy (Mobiclip) seems to have paid off and falls outside both categories. With Mobiclip Nintendo gained a portfolio of valuable video codecs and as NERD the company's developed a variety of platform specific technologies (super stable 3D, DS Virtual Console, Wii eShop downloads) and their work in streaming and distributed computing seems like it might be key to the evolution of future Nintendo platforms.
They did also purchase some supply chain companies in Japan to better facilitate the distribution of their software and hardware which seems like a straightforward logical acquisition.

casiopao

Nintendo have the best devs in Japan and there aren't any Japanese IPs out there worth buying except maybe Dragon Quest which they can't afford. L5, KT and Idea Factory don't mean shit. Soon Capcom will be on that list too.

Do Nintendo want to actually make mobile game one of their pillers?

Why not? Mobile gaming is one of the biggest market right now so it would be logical move to focus also on Mobile gaming now. And seeing how Poke GO did, any sane company should start focusing on mobile too.

And i think u are totally wrong there lol. Putting L5 on the same level of KT, Capcom and IDEA FACTORY? U must be drunk lol. L5 had been one of the most successful devs in Japan and you put them on the same level as Idea Factory is crazy lol.

Aters

Why not? Mobile gaming is one of the biggest market right now so it would be logical move to focus also on Mobile gaming now. And seeing how Poke GO did, any sane company should start focusing on mobile too.

And i think u are totally wrong there lol. Putting L5 on the same level of KT, Capcom and IDEA FACTORY? U must be drunk lol. L5 had been one of the most successful devs in Japan and you put them on the same level as Idea Factory is crazy lol.

My evaluation for L5 is always low. Might just be my bias. I do realize that L5 makes a lot more money, but I don't think Nintendo needs anything from L5. Just ask yourself how many more NXs will they sell if Nintendo secure the exclusivity of L5 titles (which will probably be on NX anyway). Also, do L5 make games that Nintendo can't make themselves (like Monolith)? Moreover, is L5's business model sustainable? Can we predict how well they will do ten years from now?

Feedback I'm reading on SD Gundam G Generation Genesis seems pretty negative. Saying that there's a poor selection of units and the presentation hasn't progressed at all since the PSP.

Guessing this one won't reach the sales highs of previous entries then.

Vena

Pokemon Sun & Moon are going full-on FE:A with throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Gen 7. Its actually really surprising and refreshing to see for a such long but extremely successful franchise.

I can't wait till the FE:Fates release where they have four versions of the games!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think I was too harsh on Federation Force earlier. Given how the game is selling in the UK, Metroid is now at least half as popular in Japan as it is overseas. It might even be equally so. Mission accomplished.

Sandfox

My evaluation for L5 is always low. Might just be my bias. I do realize that L5 makes a lot more money, but I don't think Nintendo needs anything from L5. Just ask yourself how many more NXs will they sell if Nintendo secure the exclusivity of L5 titles (which will probably be on NX anyway). Also, do L5 make games that Nintendo can't make themselves (like Monolith)? Moreover, is L5's business model sustainable? Can we predict how well they will do ten years from now?
I think you would be hard pressed to predict how any gaming company will be doing in Japan 10 years from now. Level 5 has shown us that they can keep coming up with new ideas that sell and are making a big push towards mobile so I don't really get the pessimism.

I think I was too harsh on Federation Force earlier. Given how the game is selling in the UK, Metroid is now at least half as popular in Japan as it is overseas. It might even be equally so. Mission accomplished.
Legs and holidays will save it!
/s

casiopao

Ummm. I am not saying that Nintendo should buy LV-5 here. I am just saying that it is crazy to put level-5 on the same level of Koei, Idea Factory and Capcom lol when LV-5 had been soooo much more succesful vs all those 3 companies.

We ask this exact question when we see their ps2 output. Then they hit us with super hit like Layton, continued with Inazuma. When those two begin to falter, they launch Lbx to moderate success and develop the most successful DQ title.

The move to 3ds hurt many of their DS big IP but they are succesful in launching a new IP fantasy Life and come out with a gigantic franchise Youkai Watch.

If i am you, i won't bet against Hino lol. He himself had many more cards he can played. Snack World, Megaton Musashi and new IE can all do greatly. And if that failed the money they got from YW will be able to allow them keep experimenting till they hit the jackpot again lol.

I would even feel that Capcom or Koei had more uncertain future vs Level 5 here.

L~A

Japan sure love their Minecraft... even when it's clones.

Nintendo 3DS

(N) 01. Sabaku no Nezumidan (Arc System Works) [02.9.2016]
(N) 02. Eyeresh for Nintendo 3DS: Stretch and Training (Remedia) [31.8.2016]
(-1) 03. Pokémon Yellow Version: Pikachu Special Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(+5) 04. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.8.2016]
(N) 05. Drancia Saga (Flyhigh Works) [02.9.2016]
(-2) 06. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(-4) 07. Pokémon Red Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(-1) 08. Rune Factory IV (Marvelous) [24.1.2013] (on sale until September 7th)
(-4) 09. Battleminer (Starsign) [10.2.2016]
(-9) 10. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (Inti Creates) [25.08.2016]

Wii U

(N) 01. Discovery (Rainy Frog) [31.8.2016]
(-1) 02. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft Japan) [17.12.2015]
(N) 03. Zelda no DenThe Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [02.9.2016]
(N) 04. Star Fox 64 (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [31.8.2016]
(N) 05. Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut (Intergrow) [31.8.2016]
(-4) 06. Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [24.08.2016]
(=) 07. Splatoon (Nintendo) [28.5.2013]
(+1) 08. Super Mario Maker (Nintendo) [10.9.2015]
(-6) 09. Mario Super Sluggers (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [17.8.2016]
(-6) 10. Wario Land: Shake It! / Wario Land: The Shake Dimension (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [24.8.2016]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/edb483c0-70c4-11e6-9b38-063b7ac45a6d.html

hiska-kun

Some hardware sold 3 digits this week according to the blog. It could be XB One since the price cut started in September 1st.
Or could be PS4 for the stock problems and Slim announcement.

L~A

Even with shortages, less than 1k for PS4 seems a bit hard to believe... then again, it did go from 17k to 5k in a week, so...

Maybe it's both?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I think there are most chance to see XB1 at >100 than PS4 at < 1,000.

I think PS4 should remain stable from last week or 2/3k at worst...

PS3 dipped to 1040 units week before Slim launch so I guess it could be possible that PS4 sold three digits this week if Slim launch is very close (well we will know today the release date).

Top Bottom