• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2017 (Aug 21 - Aug 27)

Oregano

Every post by you where you complain that Capcom didn't start developing a MH based on a fictional 3DS successor.

Go back, read and quote me where I actually complained about the existence of Monster Hunter World or the fact that it's releasing on PS4. That's a fabrication on your part.

Criticising Capcom's approach to Switch and pointing out that Capcom could have and should have been able to anticipate it(as developers have always done in the past) is the not the same thing and it's disingenuous to suggest it is.

I could see GE3 being on Switch too. Isn't Code Vein also on Switch?

lol.

Is it not worth pointing out that Japanese doesn't always actually distinguish home consoles from portables?

Go back, read and quote me where I actually complained about the existence of Monster Hunter World or the fact that it's releasing on PS4. That's a fabrication on your part.

Criticising Capcom's approach to Switch and pointing out that Capcom could have and should have been able to anticipate it(as developers have always done in the past) is the not the same thing and it's disingenuous to suggest it is.

The very idea of MHW was to exploit the power of the next-gen consoles to push the franchise to a new technical level.
Claiming that Capcom should have designed MH for the next handheld is against that idea.

LordKano

Will Konami announce a Switch version of PES in you opinion, GAF?

They should, it would help with the massive decline the serie is suffering.
Thing is, apparently Fifa 18 on Switch wasn't particularly cheap to produce, and I don't know how much Konami is willing to bet on PES growth when they aren't caring much about their traditional video games input.
They'd have to port Fox Engine too.

Oregano

The very idea of MHW was to exploit the power of the next-gen consoles to push the franchise to a new technical level.
Claiming that Capcom should have designed MH for the next handheld is against that idea.

But wait I thought it was Nintendo's fault MHW wasn't on Switch, that's what this guy said:

I'm not sure what people were exactly expecting. Nintendo is to blame for realsing a new system mid-gen.

Monster Hunter was in developement for years, should they have put it on hiatus until Nintendo thinks it's time to share some information and dev kits about and for their new system?

!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
They were cautious after WIIU, nothing wrong with that. Capcom is not the only one that is caught off guard by Switch, Nintendo is also suffering because of failing to anticipate the demand. Give them time, we can see right now companies like Capcom and KT are adjusting their strategy.
Capcom with Level 5 are the most incompetent companies on Switch, any comparison with Koei Tecmo is utopia. Even a niche companiy like N1 with zero presence on Nintendo systems is quicker on adjusting strategy.

We're going in circles now. You're incoherent.

Dunno.

I don't know if your basic premise is that Capcom should have expected the Switch four years ago when MHW entered developement.
You are only talking about a fictional 3DS successor. It's quite funny because you were also a guy who couldn't stop talking about that devs got dev kits so late and stuff because of the unfinished nature of the Switch developement.

In reality the only realistic platforms were the two new consoles to release a new gen Monster Hunter in a timely manner.

LordKano

I'd like to have SEGA's crystal ball, they predicted that Nintendo would release the Switch four years ago when they started developping Sonic Forces, can you believe that ? How cool that would be.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
WOnly that the increase of computing power means that the developement costs and time increased to full console level. The Switch is now competing with the other consoles for software titles.

There is no handheld niche left anymore outside of the slowly declining 3DS.

So, instead of supporting the successor of the strongest system in the region, by far, you bet against it? How does that even make sense?

Oregano

Dunno.

I don't know if your basic premise is that Capcom should have expected the Switch four years ago when MHW entered developement.
You are only talking about a fictional 3DS successor.

In reality the only realistic platforms were the two new consoles to release a new gen Monster Hunter in a timely manner.

It's really not difficult, in fact we've gone over several times:

The 3DS' successor would be a HD portable released around five years after the 3DS was.
The Switch is a HD portable released six years after the 3DS was.

EDIT:
I'd like to have SEGA's crystal ball, they predicted that Nintendo would release the Switch four years ago when they started developping Sonic Forces, can you believe that ? How cool that would be.

Capcom making Sonic Team look competent. smh.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Capcom didnt really bet against handhelds/Switch though. They just realized that they needed to bring the IP to other system if they wanna have bigger sales in total compared to what they had on 3DS. So far we have only seen one side of the coin with MHW for PC/consoles....it will make more sense once they unveile the Switch title as well.

I still think their approach makes sense...

LordKano

At least Level-5 seems to be planning the transition. Inazuma Eleven Ares will be a Switch game, they're intending to continue Layton there too. If Megaton Musashi is still a thing it will probably be a PS4/Switch release.

cw_sasuke

Capcom with Level 5 are the most incompetent companies on Switch, any comparison with Koei Tecmo is utopia. Even a niche companiy like N1 with zero presence on Nintendo systems is quicker on adjusting strategy.

Its funny that both of these companies are also struggling with their mobile plans...seems like they have issues with focusing their resources on what makes most sense. Meanwhile companies like SE or Tecmo...who already found their place in a post mobile world are handling the transition much better.

With Capcoms past offerings having lackluster success their main target right now is probably having a hit for HD system and/or mobile whatever it costs. While this isnt a surprising goal...it seems they completely misjudged the potential they could have had on Switch early on as a strong supporter.

Capcom didnt really bet against handhelds/Switch though. They just realized that they needed to bring the IP to other system if they wanna have bigger sales in total compared to what they had on 3DS. So far we have only seen one side of the coin with MHW for PC/consoles....it will make more sense once they unveile the Switch title as well.

I kind of think they may have bet against it when they didn't even factor in a version of a recent Mega Man compilation for the platform. Mega Man was in Smash Bros. I mean, he's pretty closely linked to Nintendo in a lot of ways and bringing Legacy Collection 2 to the system would have been about as low-risk as humanly possible for them. And it's not like The Disney Afternoon Collection, which was outsourced and probably couldn't have been ported to Switch in a timely fashion. The Mega Man Collection was internally developed!

I really don't think Capcom saw all that much in Switch initially, but they seem to be pivoting a bit.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Thing is, apparently Fifa 18 on Switch wasn't particularly cheap to produce, and I don't know how much Konami is willing to bet on PES growth when they aren't caring much about their traditional video games input.

What about the ps3 version? Wouldn't make sense under any point of view to port it to switch next year?

It's really not difficult, in fact we've gone over several times:

The 3DS' successor would be a HD portable released around five years after the 3DS was.
The Switch is a HD portable released six years after the 3DS was.

Your entire point is that third parties are all stupid and somehow an anti Nintendo/Switch bias exists. When in reality Nintendo released a new system in the middle of a new software generation, which leads to a transition phase where Switch gets skipped or get games at a later point.
In the case of Monter Hunter World we have also the devs and Capcom's desire to make a MH title for consoles to push a new technical level for the franchise and trying to tap into the international market.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Is not only about MH. The system is lacking even the most basic form of support from the Company, like the Disney Afternoon Collection. And the announced support looks like they are scraping by to get anything going for the system. For the west, It only got a half-assed game that succeeded against Capcom's best efforts. And their only announced support for the system after that is a late port of late ports that don't even have release date yet. And it was announced on a tweet that was mainly talking about the release date of the other versions, so no proper announcement or media.

For me, their clearly bet against the system.

LordKano

What about the ps3 version? Wouldn't make sense under any point of view to port it to switch next year?

I don't know much about how PES works, are PS3/360 versions legacy ones like Fifa ? They wouldn't bother porting these ones, if they're just roster updates. Like Fifa, it would have to be a fully-fledged (or at least almost complete) to justify its existence.
It would makes sense, even more considering that if Fifa, NBA2K and WWE2K sell well, there would be a sports-audience to potentially cultivate on Switch. It's more about, is PES still a priority for Konami ?

At least Level-5 seems to be planning the transition. Inazuma Eleven Ares will be a Switch game, they're intending to continue Layton there too. If Megaton Musashi is still a thing it will probably be a PS4/Switch release.
Oh wow they have two dead franchises heading to Switch who knows when.

Very cool and very interesting.

But I guess that's better than nothing. I'm letting my preferences come out. Sorry.

And to be fair Level 5 games usually target kids and that demo is not on Switch yet. I get that Fantasy Life and Yokai Watch needs a bigger and more diverse userbase to be really successful.

cw_sasuke

I kind of think they may have bet against it when they didn't even factor in a version of a recent Mega Man compilation for the platform. Mega Man was in Smash Bros. I mean, he's pretty closely linked to Nintendo in a lot of ways and bringing Legacy Collection 2 to the platform would have been about as low-risk as humanly possible for them.

This stuff happens when the resources for projects are so limited and the main goal is just to have a hit on the established consoles and/or a break out hit on mobile.

For the west:
Disney Afternoon Collection
Mega Man Legacy Collection
Ace Attorney HD adaptations - like the upcoming 3DS version of AA4
MH Stories could have been a multi release for both systems in the west

In Japan they could have had Dai GS release on both systems as well.

It def. feels like whenever they had the option to somewhat include Switch in their project plans to have something ready early on they chickened out. It obv. wouldnt look this bad if the Switch wasnt this successful and we had so many stories od smaller devs and titles selling quite solid numbers.

MH was somewhat essential to the 3DS market position early on, because it was the thing that kept the Vita down. We will see how important it will be on Switch when its all said and done.

Edit:
@Lonely1
You arent wrong...i think their approach makes sense for MH in a vacuum. But all the other decisions paint the picture that they really didnt care for the system at all.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Your entire point is that third parties are all stupid and somehow an anti Nintendo/Switch bias exists. When in reality Nintendo released a new system in the middle of a new software generation, which leads to a transition phase where Switch gets skipped or get games at a later point.
In the case of Monter Hunter World we have also the devs and Capcom's desire to make a MH title for consoles to push a new technical level for the franchise and trying to tap into the international market.

Not all, just a few ;) .

cw_sasuke

This is mostly about devs/publishers who have had enormous success on past Nintendo handhelds. If you are L5 or Capcom you shouldnt have been too surprised about a more powerful Nintendo portable/hybrid system 5 years after 3DS/WiiU.

Its like they didnt know the system was a thing before it was available to be preordered on amazon.co.jp lol.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
How many big multiplatform titles hit the Switch within the first year? Dragon Quest got announced a long time ago but we don't even any further information except that a Switch version is planned.

Does FIFA 2018 counts? At least, many of the other JP companies can get ports of old games going. If the Switch managed to sell an very old XBLA $15 game for $40, why haven't Capcom even announced Re4HD yet?

This is mostly about devs/publishers who have had enormous success on past Nintendo handhelds. If you are L5 or Capcom you shouldnt have been too surprised about a more powerful Nintendo portable/hybrid system 5 years after 3DS/WiiU.

Its like they didnt know the system was a thing before it was available to be preordered on amazon.co.jp lol.

The main problem here is that the Switch is so much more powerful than the 3DS, that typical handheld tier games don't exist anymore. It's all about more expensive and complicated consoles game now.

Saying that the Switch is a 3DS successor is missing the point software developement wise.

With KT's big Switch support and Capcom dragging their feet they could really beat Capcom to the punch with Toukiden on the system. Even a port of Toukiden 2 (which is on PS4, PS3, and Vita) would be a very fitting start, giving people a legit native HD hunting game on a portable, where as XX is a 3DS port.

LordKano

The main problem here is that the Switch is so much more powerful than the 3DS, that typical handheld tier games don't exist anymore. It's all about more expensive and complicated consoles game now.

Saying that the Switch is a 3DS successor is missing the point software developement wise.

That's implying that there are still many companies doing 3DS-only works and that haven't jumped in the Vita/PS4/Switch bandwagon. Who is still in this category ?

Oregano

Those expensive and complicated Switch games like:
d04ee792b87a12f498126d74a1373fba.jpg

1496159777-monster-hunter-xx-nintendo-switch-ver-7.jpg

cb6x2lkg7owktokk3di6.jpg

or were you referring to the Vita games that are having Switch SKUs added?

Laplasakos

Last one (Samurai Blue Challenge) didn't sell so well (85k) and that was on 3DS with a big userbase. I guess there will be another Samurai Blue Challenge next year with World Cup 2018 coming, so let's see if Switch will get it.

Does FIFA 2018 counts? At least, many of the other JP companies can get ports of old games going. If the Switch managed to sell an very old XBLA $15 game for $40, why haven't Capcom even announced Re4HD yet?

Maybe they do at a later point. It's not that companies have an unlimited amount of free manpower to port their backcatalogue or add more systems for actual developements instantly.

That's implying that there are still many companies doing 3DS-only works and that haven't jumped in the Vita/PS4/Switch bandwagon. Who is still in this category ?

L5 would have been a typical handheld games company. Though L5 and other companies shifted to mobile.

Oregano

Maybe they do at a later point. It's not that companies have an unlimited amount of free manpower to port their backcatalogue or add more systems for actual developements instantly.

L5 would have been a typical handheld games company. Though L5 and other companies shifted to mobile.

Level 5 the developer of Ni No Kuni 2? and a bunch of Vita games for that matter?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

In other words, the bet against the successor of the most successful system in JP (and strong performer WW) and have largely missed the train. Thanks for agreeing with us.

Level 5 the developer of Ni No Kuni 2? and a bunch of Vita games for that matter?

Level 5 didn't increase their console output in the past years or are doing it in the near future. We only see mostly less handheld games and more mobile games now.

In other words, the bet against the successor of the most successful system in JP (and strong performer WW) and have largely missed the train. Thanks for agreeing with us.

What does betting even mean in that context? Should all the companies skipped years of PS4/Xbox/PC developement just to be ready for the Switch?

Oregano

Level 5 didn't increase their console output in the past years or are doing it in the near future. We only see mostly less handheld games and more mobile games now.

What does betting even mean in that context?

This.

They're not victims of circumstances. They made a decision and are now missing out on a rapidly growing install base which is hungry for content.

EDIT:
What does betting even mean in that context? Should all the companies skipped years of PS4/Xbox/PC developement just to be ready for the Switch?

It's not an either/or equation. They chose not to support Switch.

This.

They're not victims of circumstances. They made a decision and are now missing out on a rapidly growing install base which is hungry for content.

That's some bullshit.

Should also have ignored a +70 million WW install base of PS4/Xbox + PC in many cases. Just to tap into the Switch market which is, I dunno, at 7/8 million right now?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This.

Yeah it never made much sense. Even in the worst case scenario the switch would long since be outselling the PS4 which all round has mediocre to poor sales for the market. There is no vita successor. If you had any interest in the Japanese domestic market what so ever betting on the 3DS successor was the logical choice.

That's some bullshit.

Should also have ignored a +70 million WW install base of PS4/Xbox + PC in many cases. Just to tap into the Switch market which is, I dunno, at 7/8 million right now?
The ignore part is what makes no sense. This isn't a vita 3DS or a Wii ps3 situation. This is a high end pc to ps4 situation. There's absolutely nothing stopping them from up porting games from the switch or the opposite. The differences weren't that vast.

Oregano

That's some bullshit.

Nah what's bullshit is all the words you keep putting in people's mouths. Supporting Switch doesn't mean ignoring the other systems.

Nah what's bullshit is all the words you keep putting in people's mouths. Supporting Switch doesn't mean ignoring the other systems.

It's called priorities.

If companies with limited manpower/money are trying to get into the larger markets first then isn't some "betting" against Nintendo.

Defuser

It's a guranteed Switch will get a Monster Hunter Portable 5 based on MH World so what is the problem here?

Is there some sort of stigma regarding the Portable product line?

duckroll

I don't think this is going to be true in the long term. I think this is certainly true now, because like I've been saying for a year now, I simply don't see the Switch as a 3DS replacement in 2017 itself. Nintendo's plan for it has been really clear - they needed a replacement for the WiiU which was deader than dead. The Switch fills that void now by offering console-level Nintendo games on a system that isn't retail poison. It also offers portability which is a plus too. The 3DS continues to be supported because any 3DS game coming out within this year or early next year which is substantial would have been already in development before the Switch was released.

Beyond 2017, the Switch is absolutely a replacement for the 3DS. We will see Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, top down Zelda, Mario RPG, etc on the Switch. Some of them will have higher production values than before, but that would be part of the natural tech creep. Games on Vita and PSP were already way more advanced than DS/3DS in the same generation. Now there will be another leap. But not every game will need to look like BotW. The expectations will actually be a huge range across the board because different gamers have different interests and now every demographic are going to demand the best.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's called priorities.

If companies with limited manpower/money are trying to get into the larger markets first then isn't some "betting" against Nintendo.
Companies with largely domestic fan base "ignoring" those canvases to go for a larger market is a great risk. It's not a simple choice whatsoever especially when you can target both. Which even a company like TK can manage.

Oregano

They're not ignoring any systems.

Except Switch?

It's called priorities.

When the PS5 and Xbox whatever are coming around you're not going to be seeing publishers prioritising Switch over them because they'll understand the important of getting their early and establishing a userbase for their products.

It's a guranteed Switch will get a Monster Hunter Portable 5 based on MH World so what is the problem here?

Is there some sort of stigma regarding the Portable product line?

There's no guarantee at all though. It's a logical assumption.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think this is going to be true in the long term. I think this is certainly true now, because like I've been saying for a year now, I simply don't see the Switch as a 3DS replacement in 2017 itself. Nintendo's plan for it has been really clear - they needed a replacement for the WiiU which was deader than dead. The Switch fills that void now by offering console-level Nintendo games on a system that isn't retail poison. It also offers portability which is a plus too. The 3DS continues to be supported because any 3DS game coming out within this year or early next year which is substantial would have been already in development before the Switch was released.

Beyond 2017, the Switch is absolutely a replacement for the 3DS. We will see Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, top down Zelda, Mario RPG, etc on the Switch. Some of them will have higher production values than before, but that would be part of the natural tech creep. Games on Vita and PSP were already way more advanced than DS/3DS in the same generation. Now there will be another leap. But not every game will need to look like BotW. The expectations will actually be a huge range across the board because different gamers have different interests and now every demographic are going to demand the best.
Basically this. The switch has already cultivated a retro and indie fan base which by all accounts have lead to substantial over performance. If you were to sell a traditional sprite based Jrpg on the platform I see no reason to think such a game would under perform. In fact with good production values and marketing I think it would do quite well. Street fight 2 sold 400k. Bomberman is on it'a way to a million. These sorts of games sell on the system.

Top Bottom