• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2016 (Feb 15 - Feb 21)

Vena

Microsoft has a thing for zombies, so I expect them to fund RE7.

On a more serious note, only real reason I see SFV having ever been funded by Sony with whatever piddling change they threw its way, was in an attempt to get an actual fighting game for themselves and try and bite into eSports. Everyone has/had MK, but Microsoft and Nintendo have their own franchises for fans/wider audiences.

It seems that every time someone or some corp tries to take a bite out of eSports, the product to try to do such or idea, is half-baked and rushed to market.

Wow @ Street Fighter Bomba. Project Bombuna too...lol, jk, thats not a bomb. Attack on Titan seems okay, but will the publisher be satisfied?

Splatoon sinking into the abyss, more like Splatdoom. Mario Maker gaining some lives. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder where FuRyu gets their funding. Caligula looks pretty reasonable for what it is.

caligula-teaser-pv_fa0bjso.jpg
caligula-teaser-pv03jvn.jpg

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Splatoon sinking into the abyss, more like Splatdoom. Mario Maker gaining some lives. :p

I know you are sarcastic, but seriusly comment, Mario Maker is low because of Wii U stock problem, when the things will back to normal, Mario Maker will get a nice boost.

Same for Splatoon, even if has not a bundle, almost all new Wii U consumers buy Splatoon.

EDIT: That said, i think i'm gone with Splatoon, even if it will stop selling since now, my prediction will still remain the most accurate ever :p

# The dark Splatoon messiah

well, it's a Vita game. That's how they look

Footage in motion could use a bit of AA, but I think it looks fine

It doesn't look bad at all - just saying that it's nothing extraordinary and a niche publisher as FuRyu should be perfectly able to handle that, and set expectations accordingly. Neptunia games are consistently selling <40k units and look better than this.

horuhe

That said, i think i'm gone with Splatoon, even if it will stop selling since now, my prediction will still remain the most accurate ever :p

# The dark Splatoon messiah

I really trust you. Please, show me how to do that, Ryng_Tolu. lol

Mario Maker and Splatoon are now the most visible head of Wii U. So, the most natural thing is something that affects hardware, could potentially affect the software in this case.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I guess Setsuna did okay? I hope Tokyo RPG Factory continues to make more games.

It doesn't look bad at all - just saying that it's nothing extraordinary and a niche publisher as FuRyu should be perfectly able to handle that, and set expectations accordingly. Neptunia games are consistently selling <40k units and look better than this.

Neptunia games seem to make money from heavy asset reuse between titles though. Not sure what Caligula could lift from previously.

I think they'd be crazy to target more than what you're suggesting for sales though based on past performances, so I kinda agree with Nirolak in that it makes me wonder where they get their funding from.

Incidentally, does anyone know how FuRyu were formed? They seemed to just appear in the 7th gen and started making low-budget original JRPG's and anime tie-ins. They seem like a cheap version of Bamco crossed with Falcom or something. Don't seem to have any particular console preference either, releasing pretty consistently across 3DS and Vita this gen.

So that makes SFV a bigger bomba since they aren't earning anything from the arcades.

they will get money by releasing DLC
which complete the game
:D

anyway, a fun anedoctal about AoT

there were around 14mln 3DS by the time AoT was released, while the anime was aimed on tv

there are around 7 mln PS4 + PSV by the time AoT has been released, without anime on tv

so with half of the installed base it should sell double (288k vs. 500k)

it ain't fun ?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I really trust you. Please, show me how to do that, Ryng_Tolu. lol

All i done was use a similar trend to Mario Kart 8 with Splatoon.

After 3/4 weeks of sales, people would do understand that Splatoon legs were better than Mario Kart, and they would imagine a similar scenario.

To be fair, i need to admit it sold better even than what i thought, but i was not that surprised honestly.

And to be fair, all time i was conservate. For example, that almost 100,000 sold the week of chrismast was no surprised for me, i expected 70-80K back in summer 2015 for be conservate since Mario Kart 8 best week was under 40K... That's for Japan, but i can say the same for America, Europe, and Worldwide.

People continued to said "you can't compare it with Mario Kart 8", but now you can see, if you guys would compare it to Mario Kart, you would done a way better prediction, just like me.

That's basically all... Oh, and well, for WW i done a prediction for quarter unti 2017. That's also an important part, is like for predict a console.

For mention some great dudes i have, Zhuge or Welfare when make a prediction for a console ( PS4, XB1, Wii U ecc) they made an annual prediction, they make a prediction for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 ecc.

That's what i usually do too, but not only for console. I use this method for software too. Expecially with Nintendo games, games with legs, the annual prediction is a very good method for make a prediction.

Believe me or not, i already predict sales for end of 2016, 2017, 2018 ecc for a lot of software (most of those are Nintendo games, but i can mention GTA V as well).

I made a similar prediction for Mario Maker as well.

That's all. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, it looks like they were a subsidiary of a 40,000 person electronics company that did a management buyout, so I'm guessing they had been pumped with an unusual amount of cash and are slowly using that to build a video game company.

They even have enough cash to do acquisitions so the funding must be seed capital from the parent.

http://www.furyu.jp/english/company/history.html

April 1997 Launched by OMRON Corporation to handle entertainment-related businesses in the New Business Development Center.
April 1998 Entered the photo sticker machine business
December 2001 Entered the mobile content business
January 2002 Entered the amusement prize business
July 2003 Established OMRON Entertainment Co., Ltd. (wholly owned subsidiary of OMRON Corporation)
April 2007 Became independent as the FURYU Corporation after management buyout
April 2009 Entered the video game business
April 2012 Acquired 100% of the shares of We&#8217;ve Inc.
January 2014 Acquired shares of Coreedge Inc. (as an equity method affiliated company)

horuhe

As it was mentioned, the Mario Maker Set re-stockd was truth. So I expect finally one more week to see if Wii U stock problems continue. Shin Megami tensei IV Final fell harder that I thought, I expected to be at least above one SKU of Setsuna. Maybe, it's that Setsuna didi better than I was expecting.

That's all. :)

Yeah, that's a good way to make predictions and to see how some kind of games could perform in the long run. Hope you make one for the next Pokemon game.

Mory Dunz

So splatoon doesn't have a bundle right now correct? It's selling by itself?

Tekken has shown decline and I'm expecting it to continue while Pokken will sell solely on the brand. The only fighting game success I see is MK and Smash with everything else whimpering in comparison to the old days.

Pokken's numbers will depend on the brand....but I wouldn't say solely. Seeing how pokemon spinoffs have bombed before.

they will get money by releasing DLC
which complete the game
:D

anyway, a fun anedoctal about AoT

there were around 14mln 3DS by the time AoT was released, while the anime was aimed on tv

there are around 7 mln PS4 + PSV by the time AoT has been released, without anime on tv

so with half of the installed base it should sell double (288k vs. 500k)

it ain't fun ?

Attack on Titan was also released on PS3, though. And 7m units are perfectly able to handle 500k+ sellers, as PS3 shown plenty of times. The point is, production values of this game are 10 times (just to make an example) higher than Spike Chunsoft effort - and this should be reflected in expectations.

Okay, it looks like they were a subsidiary of a 40,000 person electronics company that did a management buyout, so I'm guessing they had been pumped with an unusual amount of cash and are slowly using that to build a video game company.

They even have enough cash to do acquisitions so the funding must be seed capital from the parent.

http://www.furyu.jp/english/company/history.html

Thanks, pretty interesting. Didn't realise they were previously part of a bigger organization.

They haven't exactly made massive waves in the videogame world so far. Unlike Bamco who release dozens of games and get a few hits and a few flops, I've always wondered if the flops affect FuRyu more. Lost Dimension seemed like a decently budgeted game that performed terribly; Terra Formars barely even charted on release etc, yet they still keep pumping out the same output.

Attack on Titan was also released on PS3, though. And 7m units are perfectly able to handle 500k+ sellers, as PS3 shown plenty of times. The point is, production values of this game are 10 times (just to make an example) higher than Spike Chunsoft effort - and this should be reflected in expectations.

so it should sell 3 mln

you talked about production values, expectations... based on what ? what are your sources of those statements ?
Did KT ever say that they are expecting 500k from AoT on PS34V or it's just you ?

Also, if "7mln units are perfectly able to handle 500k", why PS3 which sold 10mln units has just 14 (fourteen) games over 500k ?

FYI AoT on PS3 just sold around 20% of the total sales, but there are 10mln PS3 in Japan... there is something strange here, but I don't understand what...

I wonder if the west (and Asia) can salvage the sales of AoT as the series seems to be one of the the most popular manga franchises in the west at the moment. For example recent Pirate Warriors was salvaged by Western and Asian sales after disappointing sales in Japan (380k Japan, 200k Asia, 320k Europe, 100k America).

Tekken has shown decline and I'm expecting it to continue while Pokken will sell solely on the brand. The only fighting game success I see is MK and Smash with everything else whimpering in comparison to the old days.

Well, apparently the arcade release of Tekken 7 has been the most profitable in Namco's history. That probably has a lot to do with micro-transactions and such, but it makes me optimistic.

If Tekken 7 bombs on consoles it may be the end of traditional fighting games as we know them.

I would like to add that duckroll and other respectable users were expecting around 500k units as well.

I'm not sure which is worse between these two sentences, stop the hyperbole guys.

Why stop at 10x, go all-in and say 50x or even 100x.

That was an example to say that the game has notably higher production values than the 3DS entry - and it shows. It wasn't a realistic number based on insider knowledge and I specified that.

so it should sell 3 mln

you talked about production values, expectations... based on what ? what are your sources of those statements ?
Did KT ever say that they are expecting 500k from AoT on PS34V or it's just you ?

Also, if "7mln units are perfectly able to handle 500k", why PS3 which sold 10mln units has just 14 (fourteen) games over 500k ?

FYI AoT on PS3 just sold around 20% of the total sales, but there are 10mln PS3 in Japan... there is something strange here, but I don't understand what...

Based on how the game looks like (you don't need a magnifying glass to say that production values are way higher this time), and based on previous games Omega Force developed based on popular IPs. It's funny because among those 14 games that crossed 500k units on PS3, 3 are Omega Force projects similar to Attack on Titan: One Piece Musou, Ken's Rage and Dragon Quest Heroes. It's likely Koei Tecmo was aiming at good sales this time as well, being Attack on Titan one of the most popular IPs right now in Japan. As for PS3 - of course not of all 10m units are active, but it's just disingenous to say that installed base is 7m when PS3 still have some active userbase which accounted for a good chunk of total sales.

Looks like several people at Nintendo were also betting that PS4 would outsell the WiiU this year.

Makes the weekly Splatoon numbers even more crazy.

I'm not sure which is worse between these two sentences, stop the hyperbole guys.

The true statements shoud be :

Kan Colle : sold less than expected, even if the game could be called "kusoge" (crap game in japanese); next week will be fun to see the drop
note : there is the save bug which might have affected sales after the first day (don't know if it has been fixed, but after 3 delays this thing was really terrible, you save and you lose everything, so amateur...)

AoT : sold better than expected, the point is "will have legs or not?" which could be the difference between this release and the 3DS one; as for first week PS4V sales are good (good doesn't mean excellent)

SFV : bomba, but it was expected. Games has been released incomplete, marketed just in the last 7-10 days, no arcade and honestly after SFIV, SSFIV, USFIV we really needed a new SF ? we ain't in the 90's anymore Crapcom...

Setsuna : 60k for a new IP which has not been marketed are good indeed (note, good doesn't mean excellent or awesome or something else which is more than the "good" level), or at least it should be, hope to hear something from S-E about it

that's my opinion, of course, hyperboles excluded

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The top 10 list of best performing mobile apps for January is out.

On a related note, Marvel Tsum Tsum just launched: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/maberu-tsumutsumu/

Ranking Notes:
  • Square Enix has continued their strong ascent, becoming the #4 mobile publisher in Japan by revenue for the month. Moving up from there will be quite hard given you have to contend with LINE's cabal of successful titles, Monster Strike (which makes $4+ million a day), and Puzzle & Dragons. Beating P&D through cumulative income is probably their next most realistic goal.
  • COLOPL has went below Namco and Square Enix. COLOPL still does really well in mobile, and I'm not sure there's any sign they've slowed down, so this also really speaks to Namco's strength in the market.
  • Sony moving above CyberAgent and Konami should be pretty much down to Fate/Grand Order overtaking PowaPro. CyberAgent is a conglomerate earner and includes things like Granblue Fantasy among four or five other successful apps.
  • DeNA still maintains relevance much better than GREE. I feel there's probably a future for this company in the way that GREE (the other feature phone titan) doesn't seem to have.
  • Sega has fallen out of the charts due to their limited ability to launch new hits. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't return to the top 10. That said, they still make reasonable money on mobile, but this might be yet another market where they can't compete with the expanded leader pool.
  • I usually don't talk about downloads much, but Yokai Watch's staying power in the top 10 downloads speaks well to the brand's continued strength.

Source: https://www.appannie.com/indexes/all-stores/rank/overall/?month=2016-01-01&country=JP

e-gamer

Microsoft has a thing for zombies, so I expect them to fund RE7.

On a more serious note, only real reason I see SFV having ever been funded by Sony with whatever piddling change they threw its way, was in an attempt to get an actual fighting game for themselves and try and bite into eSports. Everyone has/had MK, but Microsoft and Nintendo have their own franchises for fans/wider audiences.

It seems that every time someone or some corp tries to take a bite out of eSports, the product to try to do such or idea, is half-baked and rushed to market.

Kindly agreed.

And the Street "Quitters" don't help at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sega Sammy is ranked 6th by downloads and 10th by revenue at the games ranking, obviously that doesn't take into account Line, etc but shows indeed that they still make good money at the Japanese mobile space.

https://www.appannie.com/indexes/all-stores/rank/games/?month=2016-01-01&country=JP

Yeah, they're still expecting to make $340 million in mobile revenue this year (a 35% increase over last year) despite lowering projections by $125 million.

There's just a TON of money in mobile, so that doesn't necessarily get you in the top 10.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I wonder if the west (and Asia) can salvage the sales of AoT as the series seems to be one of the the most popular manga franchises in the west at the moment. For example recent Pirate Warriors was salvaged by Western and Asian sales after disappointing sales in Japan (380k Japan, 200k Asia, 320k Europe, 100k America).

Yes i believe has the potential for sells great in the West.

rhandino

Banned
Monster Hunter Explore came out and had okay, but not astonishing success. Capcom notes that the game is performing to expectations.

Capcom is also focusing on online PC games, and noted that Dragon's Dogma Online is similarly performing to expectations.

I believe that's it out of their new strategy so far, at least as far as flagships go. They may have had one other legacy Street Fighter mobile game they let finish development, but I don't think they announced it until it was out.
Thank you very much for the info.

Hopefully Capcom can get more success in those areas since they have a LOT of IP that can do wonders in those space. I pray for the day that a RE: Mercernaries F2P Edition is released =P

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thank you very much for the info.

Hopefully Capcom can get more success in those areas since they have a LOT of IP that can do wonders in those space. I pray for the day that a RE: Mercernaries F2P Edition is released =P

I do think that this space is more appropriate for Capcom given the types of games they still seem interested in making and the financial support they're willing to give them.

Even Street Fighter V is pretty much designed as a free 2 play game, but has a full priced cover fee as it stands.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
PS4 is approaching near-acceptable levels in Japan. Never thought I'd see the day, but this is positive for the future of a console in Japan. The system crossed streams with PS3 a few weeks ago and hadn't had it's third holiday yet, unlike the PS3. Looks like the torrent of Japanese support is paying off.

Edit: I understand that the days of the PS1 and PS2 are over but if the PS4 has as long a shelf life as the PS3 it could easily beat it now in Japan if this is the new normal.

I know some posters think it lasting that long is unlikely but eh...let's wait and see. Even the PS1 lasted over 5 years without a successor and last generation could be the new normal instead. Up to the big three and publisher pressure to decide when it's over.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot the game was funded by Sony.

If I were Capcom, I wouldn't say no to a Street Fighter V NX Edition at launch, considering IV 3D Edition sold like V at the 3DS launch.

I don't know the situation in other western countries, but while popular Shingeki no Kyojin is still far from the top seller like One Piece and Naruto in France for example (150-170k/volume vs 45-60k for SnK)

So there's potential, but less than the Ultimate Ninja Storm of OPMusou

In US though AoT should be more popular than OP that has always struggled there. So while the game has not as much potential in Europe it could offset that with better US sales than Pirate Warriors. Will be interesting to see (if we ever get WW shipment data for the game...)

Kan Colle Kai # <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2016.02.18} (¥5.800) - 140.757 / NEW
Could have sold more but not bad

02./00. [PSV] Attack on Titan # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.02.18} (¥6.800) - 62.111 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] Attack on Titan # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.02.18} (¥7.800) - 61.156 / NEW
08./00. [PS3] Attack on Titan # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.02.18} (¥7.800) - 27.415 / NEW

Pretty good for Attack on titan

06./00. [PS4] Project Setsuna <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.02.18} (¥4.800) - 33.629 / NEW
07./00. [PSV] Project Setsuna <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.02.18} (¥4.800) - 27.994 / NEW

I guess it did okay for what it is.. I was hoping for better
Lets see if Attack on titan and Setsuna have any decent legs

10./02. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo # <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥5.980) - 13.239 / 262.182 (-46%)
13./04. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥7.800) - 7.757 / 198.344 (-53%)
17./05. [PS3] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥6.800) - 7.107 / 92.645 (-46%)

Fairly big drops. Builders seems to be on it's way out.

11./08. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 9.506 / 1.260.770 (-14%)
12./10. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 7.860 / 668.003 (-13%)
14./09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.600) - 7.669 / 2.210.704 (-18%)
15./11. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800) - 7.660 / 2.691.475 (-14%)
18./13. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥5.700) - 6.477 / 802.007 (+25%)
20./12. [3DS] Monster Strike <RPG> (Mixi) {2015.12.17} (¥4.500) - 5.083 / 800.205 (-32%)

The legs continue. Splatoon still keeping sales up well despite the Wii-U shortage.
Mario Maker making a return too thanks to another bundle shipment apparently
Monster Strike and Super Mario Maker hitting 800K

16./06. [WIU] Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.01.28} (¥4.700) - 7.596 / 93.879 (-42%)

Will actually hit 100K...

04./00. [PS4] Street Fighter V # <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.02.18} (¥7.990) - 41.990 / NEW
What's left to say? Sad to see it bomb but considering it's release. Not surprising. Even I could not be bothered to be hyped for it's release.

PS4 | 29.363
3DS # | 23.892
PSV # | 22.191
WIU | 3.902

Bump for Vita and PS4. Dip for 3DS
and Wii-U still without stock. Embarrassing this is still going on.

Maniel

Banned
-I'm happy that Setsuna did better than I expected (which was <50k), but I wonder if this is enough to warrant a sequel.
-Attack on Titan did a little better than I thought it would, but it still is a disappointment for me compared to the 3ds game.
-Street fighter V bombed as expected. I wonder how its legs will be because this game has a very positive reception gameplay wise. With some content patches, it has a good chance to draw in players who held out for more single player modes.

Other than that, hardware was pretty mediocre overall. 3ds continues its descent, while Vita only got a moderate bump for Kancolle. Best not to mention Wii U, but ps4 has had a nice baseline so far this year. Let's see if it can have some 40k+ weeks like last year with upcoming releases like Dark Souls III and Star Ocean 5.

Scum

Niro, how's Capcom getting on with their mobile shinanegans and what happened to Breath of Fire 6??

Oh, and well done to Square Enix and DeNA.

RopeSnake

Banned
Wii U is getting a Pokken Tournament bundle and it is safe to say that's when the console will get new shipments in Japan. Expect the numbers to stay low for two or three more weeks, then it will go back to the 15-20k weekly numbers.

Top Bottom