• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Stet

Banned
What is the opinion about coconut oil?

palmers_coconut_oil_formula_hair_conditioner_26287.jpg

It's great for cooking.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Sorry for the American Crew spam in the OP.

I have tried many, many products other than Crew, its just that I rarely find one that I like. I will add more as I remember them.

Halcyon

KMc3z.jpg

This is my hair on a normal basis. I use whatever cheap matte clay I run across. My technique involves showering then scrubbing my head with the towel. This basically gets the texture that I like then I just get a few finger tips of the clay and style as I see fit. It takes like 10 seconds.

I do however sort of hate my hair because it gets really poofy if I don't put stuff in it.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Is there any easy way to discern a good barbershop from a bad one? I've been to a couple where I live, but they never really do what I tell them or they just aren't skilled enough to do what I ask.

I would look up reviews online. The thing is, I found a great one on accident. I was sick of my haircut, and I walked in this place just to see what they could do. I ended up with a really cool dude cutting my hair and it turned out great. If you don't want to look up reviews, you can at least make sure the shop is in a good area.

My hair-

28Ysl.jpg

I just got it cut a week and a half ago. Good experience, but I wish I had better product. I'll have to check out the stuff in the OP.

I would try either the Layrite or Suavecito pomade. From what I can see, it would look really good in that kind of hair.

So if my hair is super thick and I think it looks doofy I should ask to get it razored or thinned?

Try thinned first. They do that for me every visit because my hair is very thick and straight. Product is important too.

TylerD

I have used Joico I-C-E Erratic molding clay forever. Does a great job of holding with just a little product but you have to make sure that you wash your forehead really well after shampooing it out or it will be sticky and no one likes sticky forehead.

Is there any easy way to discern a good barbershop from a bad one? I've been to a couple where I live, but they never really do what I tell them or they just aren't skilled enough to do what I ask.
I usually go to a hair salon but on Monday decided to try a barber beside my house instead. Big mistake. Guy didn't know wtf he was doing, he was about 75 years old and couldn't hold a pair of scissors for the life of him, seemed to have possibly some sort of old man shake (kinda like a slight parkinsons but my grandfather has it and it didn't look like parkinsons) and it cost me $25 including tip. He didn't do a very good job.

It's not like I have a difficult style either. My hair is basically like the pic in the OP except sides are bit longer and not so tapered. Fuck sakes. I hate getting my hair cut more than going to the dentist.

I would look up reviews online. The thing is, I found a great one on accident. I was sick of my haircut, and I walked in this place just to see what they could do. I ended up with a really cool dude cutting my hair and it turned out great. If you don't want to look up reviews, you can at least make sure the shop is in a good area.

For what ever reason it didn't occur to me to look up places online. Already found a couple of places I didn't know about with good reviews. Thanks!

SolKane

I just got a haircut from a new stylist last week. My old one retired, you know, and I went through a long period of anxiety and inaction before finding a new one. Anyway, here's what she did to me:

bPcAq.jpg

Morning mess

9QW0E.jpg

Cleaned up a bit

I'm pretty happy with it so far, I just asked for a shorter version of what I already had.

I've been meaning to spend some time figuring out the hair thing more...I actually get some casually-disheveled volume out of mine(slightly thin on top) with just Aussie volumizing hair spray. However, I bought some American Crew Fiber stuff but I'll be damned if I can get that shit to work at all. It seems like it stays in chunks. It's also damn impossible to get off your hands after the fact. Does anyone have any tips?

Stet

Banned
HP_DesignWax-475x475.jpg

I use this lovely stuff. Rub it into damp hair and then blow-dry. It does tend to droop a bit in really hot weather -- any suggestions?

I'm lucky. I've been seeing the same guy for about 10 years now all with a different variety of styles over the years. Its like running into an old friend every 2 months or so. He isn't cheap though as he is the owner of his salon and a stylist for Schwarzkopf (does fashion shows and shit in his spare time). Costs about $90 now (has steadily risen over the years).

Although for that you get a head massage, shampoo and alcohol all served by smoking hot assistants. Plus I've never had a bad cut so going to a cheap barber would be like cheating with a street hooker.

Fou-Lu

I keep my hair pretty long for two reasons. 1. I can't get rid of the acne on my forehead, and it's a lot more noticeable with short hair. 2. My hairline is a lot further back than I'd like, it looks like a lot of guys do when it starts receding, except it's always been like that.

Miles X

Ok I got my hair cut, pretty happy with it. She was raving about the fact she loves it when guys bring in pictures so she can recreate them.

Whilst the cut is great, she blowdried and then waxed it (Redken stuff). The problem is my hair looks so dry and puffy when I wax it, not slick and dark like Jakes in that pic or like when I use a gel. I'll probably carry on using a gel but the problem there is it doesn't give me the structure I need.

Any recomendations for more of a smoother/wetter wax? If you know what I mean.

Alucrid

Banned
It's just way too expensive to go to a salon. I'm happy with my barber, but I have to get a cut once every three weeks and $60 is a lot for a salon cut.
I solely go to salons. Costs me 50. Of course I only go twice a year.

My hair looks like Napoleon Dynamite and I've been wearing a hat even in situations where a hat is bizarrely inappropriate for the past 8 years out of self-consciousness and shame.

Subscribed, hopefully I'll learn something.

jerry1594

Timedog has some of the weirdest hair. It's not straight, it's not curly, it's not kinky, it just is and depending on what time of day or right after he's showered it's a bunch of completely different looks. And he's got some random spots where the hair is thin and straight. If I could chalk it up to one type it'd be eccentric.

Pics? From what I've seen it looks curly. My hair is almost totally straight but there's spots where it wants to be curly. My grandmothers had/have curly/wavy hair and my grandfathers have absolutely straight hair and in the end the dudes won out :(. lol sorry to bore.

mblitek

Subscribed.

I have a big head and straight hair and I don't really have the confidence to change it up or rather what to change it to. I'll grab a picture soon and see what suggestions I can get!

Ok I got my hair cut, pretty happy with it. She was raving about the fact she loves it when guys bring in pictures so she can recreate them.

Whilst the cut is great, she blowdried and then waxed it (Redken stuff). The problem is my hair looks so dry and puffy when I wax it, not slick and dark like Jakes in that pic or like when I use a gel. I'll probably carry on using a gel but the problem there is it doesn't give me the structure I need.

Any recomendations for more of a smoother/wetter wax? If you know what I mean.

Why not Pomade?

SolKane

I keep my hair pretty long for two reasons. 1. I can't get rid of the acne on my forehead, and it's a lot more noticeable with short hair. 2. My hairline is a lot further back than I'd like, it looks like a lot of guys do when it starts receding, except it's always been like that.

In my experience hairline acne always get worse when my hair is longer, so even though a shorter cut reveals more in the long run its better for the skin.

Pics? From what I've seen it looks curly. My hair is almost totally straight but there's spots where it wants to be curly. My grandmothers had/have curly/wavy hair and my grandfathers have absolutely straight hair and in the end the dudes won out :(. lol sorry to bore.

Here it's wavy
sKIf7.jpg

Here it's curly
xznjM.jpg

And it looks like this some mornings (I obviously shaped it a bit but not much)
OirCn.jpg

Johnas

What is the opinion about coconut oil?

palmers_coconut_oil_formula_hair_conditioner_26287.jpg

I don't know anything about using it in hair, but I cook with it and I can tell you that it liquefies at 76 degrees Fahrenheit.

Seems like it would be messy for use in hair, but like I said, never tried it. Thought the temperature info might be useful though.

I keep it buzzed short. Don't care for the hassle.

I have adopted this mindset, I just hate having to cut so often (every two or three weeks). I don't shave it off completely, I go down to 1/2", but it still seems to grow back so fast.

Being otherwise maintenance-free is really nice.

Lamel

Banned
That taper cut is what I got when I was a little kid. It was called the soldier cut where I am from.

I stopped for a while and started getting it again in high school. Works so well and is sexy.

Lamel

Banned
Isn't all that product in the OP bad for your hair health? And doesn't it make your hair fall out?

Just curious. Because I always thought the less product, the better your hair will be.

maxxpower

Thick, wavy hair sucks, I can work some short to mid length styles, but once it reaches a certain length it becomes a mop, so I keep it buzzed, though being a Hispanic dude it makes me look like a cholo.

I'll be watching this thread, good idea. I've been going to a salon all my life, I should try out a barber sometime soon. Also, I currently use this for my hair, good stuff:

FILTHY_MUK_TIN.jpg

SeriousApes

This will be a useful topic, I expect. The last time I went to get my haircut, the lady asked if I wanted my neckline tapered, and I was like, "Uh, yeah... sure."

I didn't know what she was talking about. Turns out I usually get it rounded.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Isn't all that product in the OP bad for your hair health? And doesn't it make your hair fall out?

Just curious. Because I always thought the less product, the better your hair will be.

Water based products don't cause hair loss. The most you could do is pile too much on your head, but again that is not permanent.

However alcohol based products are a different story. If I remember correctly, stuff like Vitalis is alcohol based, and similar greasing products have been rumored to cause hair loss. The validity of that is questionable, but I tend to avoid any alcohol based products.

Jeels

Good websites to find hair styles I can take to the place I get my hair cut at?

Shorter styles especially.

Angry Fork

I used to get ceasar's/buzz cuts all my life but then got bored of it and started growing my hair out a couple years ago just to do something different. It's really annoying in the morning though I just put it in a ponytail and don't bother but I have no clue how to be presentable with it. I have to get a new job soon too and don't want to cut it but may have to if I don't find out how to make it look good.

It's hard to manage because it's semi-curly/wavy, more so on the sides/back. It's about the same as Jon Snow from game of thrones or John Mayer. It feels like you can't really get away with that look unless you're famous though or have it fixed professionally. I've never tried gel or anything I just take a shower and try not to make it look too scruffy. I don't use shampoo anymore though which has been SO much better I just wash every day and it regulates itself. Shampoo completely wrecks any chance of managing my hair and turns into a frizzy curly mess.

cacophony

My hair is long right cause I've been putting off getting a haircut cause I hate them. & I never have any idea what to do with it. Any time I go to get it cut it always gets cut way too short and looks dumb.

I wish I could get it something like this:

ib2CdzTxQkiync.png

flake

Any recommendations for hair product for thin hair? I have a hairstyle similiar to that Asos model in the OP. Wax generally looks terrible in my hair, so currently im using a matte gel.

Minamu

Subbed! I've had a shaved head (0-5mm) for about two years and now I have 10cm or so. I'm not sure what to do with it, I haven't had this long hair in my life basically and if I have, I haven't done anything with it. Now I just run some wax through it so it doesn't just lay there flat. I kinda like it like that but I suppose I should go see a barber to get it trimmed? It's been growing wild for about 4 months so it might be a bit rough, right?

I stumbled over this picture a while back and I like the outrageousness of it. I could do without the color but the styling is kinda cool (if it fits a guy). I'd like something different at least.

KAOz

Short bus special
So, guys, I have a slight problem. Kind of. I need your help.

I have quite a big forhead, and flat haircuts really doesn't suit me. I used to go more Tyler Durden-style, but after growing a bit older it's more Gosling, or Chris Evans in Avengers style.
Buuuuuuuut, my hair is starting to thin a bit RIGHT at the front, at the top of my forhead. It's not much, but to me it's very noticable (of course). This makes it harder to make the hair look nice as it "stands up".

What should I do? :(

I also have quite a thin face, so not every haircut suits me. And shaving it down again, well, it's too boring. I love fixing my hair damnit. HALP!

Miles X

So, guys, I have a slight problem. Kind of. I need your help.

I have quite a big forhead, and flat haircuts really doesn't suit me. I used to go more Tyler Durden-style, but after growing a bit older it's more Gosling, or Chris Evans in Avengers style.
Buuuuuuuut, my hair is starting to thin a bit RIGHT at the front, at the top of my forhead. It's not much, but to me it's very noticable (of course). This makes it harder to make the hair look nice as it "stands up".

What should I do? :(

I also have quite a thin face, so not every haircut suits me. And shaving it down again, well, it's too boring. I love fixing my hair damnit. HALP!

Pictures are necessary!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So is there any good haircuts for really thick hair?

Of course! You're most assuredly not limited to buzz cuts or shaving it all off. Stylists have always remarked at how absurdly thick mine is, and the same general recommendations come up time and time again: thinning shears on top, a short or medium length cut with lots of texture, and pretty close sides and back.

Thick hair is one of the harder things to keep long, since it will often end up becoming "helmet" hair, but it's not impossible. Mine has a distinct split down the middle of my scalp where it's relatively straight-ish on the right side and then gets bizarrely wavy on the left, so growing it out isn't a great idea. If yours is a uniform type all around, the options are better.

Top Bottom