• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merely talking about racism isn't harmful. Why do people think that it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

I'm kind of curious how old you are, BKK. I can't imagine most adults thinking that all of life's problems are solved by getting the mates to beat people up.

BKK

Honestly, I don't think that a single person who argues against me here comes from the real world. All gets everything given on a plate.

Surfinn

Sorry, I'm going to speak my UK speak here again and say you're talking complete and utter crap!
You acknowledging that you'd do the right thing is great, but it doesn't change anything about race relations here in the US. What is "crap" about that post?

That's completely untrue, I'm happy to talk about race, it is ofcourse extremely difficult now days since the left has branded every fucking thing racist.
No it isnt. The Right has made racially charged dialogue an entire industry that theyve raked in tens of millions in profits from, what world do you live in?

BKK

I'm kind of curious how old you are, BKK. I can't imagine most adults thinking that all of life's problems are solved by getting the mates to beat people up.

40 soon, I grew up on a council estate, where lots of small men think they're big by bullying their wives. My mother brought me up not to allow that, and not to put up with bullies. I'm just a normal working class guy, something that most of Gaf fail to understand.

Heroman

Banned
40 soon, I grew up on a council estate, where lots of small men think they're big by bullying their wives. My mother brought me up not to allow that, and not to put up with bullies. I'm just a normal working class guy, something that most of Gaf fail to understand.
So you know everyone on gaf and their life stories?

Surfinn

This thread isn't even about you

Nephtis

I apologize to Heroman and Deepwater - I'm not ignoring you, I just don't think I should quote everyone lol

Racism of any sort isn't particularly good. The differentiation is largely down to the structural output of racism, which in the United States is coming largely from those who are classically seen as white.

Given the fact that many of the institutions of power are filled by those who classify as "Caucasian" on the census, it becomes imperative to understand the effects of their racism.

It's a question of logical priority. If you have two people coming at you, one with a bat and the other with a tank, neither is particularly good, but you probably should prioritize the latter. Are all white people racist? No. Are those who are white in the US more statistically likely to enact ideas and policies based on their potential racism. Yes, by far.

I mean, there's nothing to disagree with look at the demographics of those in the the higher rungs of wealth, politics, business, so on and so forth. Currently actually economic and political power is invested in those who are classified as white. There's not much you argue against there, the numbers are quite clear.

Like above, the average person can be a problem, but the degree of that problem rises if prejudice is a factor in your teacher, boss, CEO, general manager, high ranking military officer, politician, etc. To carry a further metaphor, you're saying, "But that cut is a problem." I'm saying, "Yeah, I agree it is, but I'd like to tackle that broken leg first."

I don't think you are wrong, but I think that's moving towards a different discussion. Does *all* racism need to be focused on the actions of white people? Does their privilege have to be at the root of all discussions? I think it's its own topic.

Maybe I'm simply not getting it, or maybe I'm just not able to get my point across. Or maybe I'm just stubborn, but I don't want to be. I do read everyone's reply towards me and I do try to understand it - and by and large, I agree with all of what you've all said. However, When someone tells me "let's talk about racism", I want to hear about the Mexican dude that called a black person the N word, or the other way around where a black person calls all hispanics beaners. Or how we're all hating on Asians because we think they're racist towards all but white people because of stereotypes. Sure, I will also want to hear about how a white person is racist even if they don't really mean it - if we want to talk about racism in general, all parties need to be called out on their BS, and hopefully have a discussion on what can be done by everyone to make it better.

White privilege and racism is important for sure, but it's exhausting to see it at the forefront of every discussion, like it's the only thing that exists, while everything else gets ignored.

Also, it isn't only white people that are fragile. Plenty of people from all races get all defensive and hurt / mad when you bring up how people from their race are also racists. I think that's just human nature though, to not want to confront the ugly side of you.

Ponn

Banned
I apologize to Heroman and Deepwater - I'm not ignoring you, I just don't think I should quote everyone lol

I don't think you are wrong, but I think that's moving towards a different discussion. Does *all* racism need to be focused on the actions of white people? Does their privilege have to be at the root of all discussions? I think it's its own topic.

Maybe I'm simply not getting it, or maybe I'm just not able to get my point across. Or maybe I'm just stubborn, but I don't want to be. I do read everyone's reply towards me and I do try to understand it - and by and large, I agree with all of what you've all said. However, When someone tells me "let's talk about racism", I want to hear about the Mexican dude that called a black person the N word, or the other way around where a black person calls all hispanics beaners. Or how we're all hating on Asians because we think they're racist towards all but white people because of stereotypes. Sure, I will also want to hear about how a white person is racist even if they don't really mean it - if we want to talk about racism in general, all parties need to be called out on their BS, and hopefully have a discussion on what can be done by everyone to make it better.

White privilege and racism is important for sure, but it's exhausting to see it at the forefront of every discussion, like it's the only thing that exists, while everything else gets ignored.

Also, it isn't only white people that are fragile. Plenty of people from all races get all defensive and hurt / mad when you bring up how people from their race are also racists. I think that's just human nature though, to not want to confront the ugly side of you.

I'm being very honest and sincere here. I don't think you are really taking the time to read what people are replying to you and giving it time to digest. MH literally spelled out for you why this discussion of institutional racism is so important, how it effects other kinds of racism and the need for tackling that first and you basically just dismissed everything and then asked the question again that he just answered and you dismissed with no discussion.

Pizza

Understanding why and how institutionalized racism from shit racists from years ago has effected that entire subculture of humans and placed them in generations of systemic poverty. Our social safety net has failed a huge group of people, and the "otherness" between blacks and whites is just a fact.

Which sucks, because people can't wrap their heads around it and were never taught in school and the government has failed so long that it's history. So instead the Occam's razor is "oh well [differnt colored member of my species] is inherently more crime prone/good at sports/whatever else.

Like people in our country could essentially be living on two completely different planets. People have been mistreated so fucking long that it's just been fact for generations.

I avoid speaking on racial issues because I cannot speak eleoquently about this subject. I've studied it, I *get* it, but I sometimes don't word things well when I speak off the cuff, so I unintentionally drop things that are worded in a potentially problematic way. I'm going to get better about speaking on racial issues, though, because I'm going to politely force Black Boy into the ELA curriculum of whatever school I wind up teaching at.

Its a damn good read. Can't recommend it enough.

KoopaTheCasual

White people don't want to talk about race. It makes them feel unconformable.

That's completely untrue, I'm happy to talk about race, it is ofcourse extremely difficult now days since the left has branded every fucking thing racist.

I agree with Elvis. Here's an example of a GAFfer calling out others as racist if they disagree with him on the subject of race. Why are liberals so fragile that they need to project like this?

This is fucking poetic.

Heroman

Banned

If we were equal then that talked would be a thing but we are no equal.

the only thing that will stop systemic racism is their own communities. except their own communities aren't beating them up. instead they say that's not really racist etc...

Nephtis

I'm being very honest and sincere here. I don't think you are really taking the time to read what people are replying to you and giving it time to digest. MH literally spelled out for you why this discussion of institutional racism is so important, how it effects other kinds of racism and the need for tackling that first and you basically just dismissed everything and then asked the question again that he just answered and you dismissed with no discussion.

Perhaps you're right. So I'll respectfully bow out and let others continue on with the thread.

Translation: The leftist boogeymen won't let me be openly racist, I wish I could return to a time when my white superiority went unchallenged.
Oops Ami shows and stumps calls me out, solid gold. That's the incorrect translation. The left has gone completely fucking haywire, you've seriously gone off the deep end over the last couple years. Your push to shame people, to humiliate them simply because they go against what you all have decided is right, is rediculous, it only serves to strengthen the resolve of those of us that have chosen to break from your side and further the disdain and hatred from those that were never on your side.

Push harder, continue to to be a bunch nasty fucking children and you'll never get what you want.

And Ami get of your fucking soapbox, and stop thinking you get to ever take the moral high ground, I've been around long enough to know you're​ a disgusting human.

Hypocritical twats.

guek

Banned
The OP does not match the title. Societal racism and labeling racists are two different topics. Being quick to label someone a racist is not only an immature reaction, it can be actively detrimental to combating societal racism. Words have power! And there's a lot of hubris involved with the practice of casually labeling people.

And before someone bites my head off, yes, there are a lot of blatant racists out there these days, including America's President.

Heroman

Banned
Oops Ami shows and stumps calls me out, solid gold. That's the incorrect translation. The left has gone completely fucking haywire, you've seriously gone off the deep end over the last couple years. Your push to shame people, to humiliate them simply because they go against what you all have decided is right, is rediculous, it only serves to strengthen the resolve of those of us that have chosen to break from your side and further the disdain and hatred from those that were never on your side.

Push harder, continue to to be a bunch nasty fucking children and you'll never get what you want.

And Ami get of your fucking soapbox, and stop thinking you get to ever take the moral high ground, I've been around long enough to know you're​ a disgusting human.

Hypocritical twats.
See it funny how you don't provide examples of how the left has made everything rasict while at same time crying about it. If you are going to play I'm the victim card at least give explain how that goes beyond the liberals made me.

wandering

Banned

Hypocritical twats.

Oh shit

Well whaddya know

I guess not everyone has a self-preservation instinct

Got

Banned

Hypocritical twats.

cry some more. wallow in your self-hatred and racism and bigotry. coward.

L Thammy

Well, you can knock me down
Step in my face
Slander my name
All over the place

Do anything that you want to do
But uh-uh, honey
Lay off of my privilege
Don't you step on my white privilege
Well, you can do anything
But stay off of my white privilege

Aside from very racist people obviously not wanting to be called out on racism, there's a couple of reasons why the everyday white person is uncomfortable talking about race.

-A naive belief of a level playing field. So they apply seemingly simple logic of, "Why can't we have a White Student Union?" Or "How come nothing insults me yet everyone else seemingly gets upset about stuff?"

-People have a hard time observing how generations of mistreatment in the past has anything to do with conditions today.

Even for people who try to treat everyone with respect, they have a hard time understanding why race relations are still such an important topic today.

It's a topic that many people simply don't understand. So when you mention racism, they have a hard time relating. Which is often rationalized as being divisive, unfair, or over-exaggerated.

While I'm sure many PoC are sick of trying to explain themselves to white people, I'm not particularly surprised people still don't understand it.

Slayven

Hypocritical twats.
Still doesn't give any examples.
Lovely meltdown. I give it a 9.5/10.
Ehhhh, i seen better

Slayven

Thread about racism

"Racism would be over if not for the Left"

Humors and asks for examples

"Fuck you, I am racist now because you keep talking racism"

hqdefault.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Hypocritical twats.

eVkxa5n.gif

Please do not attempt to top it

rjinaz

Just another bigot from you know where. Hang out in a place like that and even try to act like it's people like us with the problem. Enjoy your hate. You can freely say the N word now.

BigDes

Thread about racism

"Racism would be over if not for the Left"

Humors and asks for examples

"Fuck you, I am racist now because you keep talking racism"

hqdefault.jpg
I hate Minorities because people were mean to be on the Internet is probably the most pathetic excuse for racism ever.

Enzom21

hey man, he was on our side until he got offended for being exposed as ignorant. it's not his fault he's awful, it's ours.
You just hate HallucinatingElvis for being white and stealing rock n roll.

Still doesn't give any examples.

Ehhhh, i seen better

Shit you're right. That's not even close to being the craziest rant about Amir0x. 6.5/10
HallucinatingElvis can't even meltdown properly.

Slayven

I hate Minorities because people were mean to be on the Internet is probably the most pathetic excuse for racism ever.
Just looking for an excuse to feel better about
'keep talking about race guys, i'm only gonna get more racist...'

Talking about racism must have time travel powers, racism was here before there was even a country. Ask the native americans

Got

Banned
You just hate HallucinatingElvis for being white and stealing rock n roll.

Shit you're right. That's not even close to being the craziest rant about Amir0x. 6.5/10
HallucinatingElvis can't even meltdown properly.

muh, rocknroll!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom