• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

1hr 33 min and I'm stuck in the 3rd section of the bike chase. The first 2 parts wasn't so bad with spamming stun grenades and using the Solar. But now I'm fucked. All out of Solar and don"t have a clue to knock out the second turret dude. Mk2 doesn't do shit and I lose 70% of my damn health. I knew this part was going to be the death of me. Fuck.

iLLmAtlc

1hr 33 min and I'm stuck in the 3rd section of the bike chase. The first 2 parts wasn't so bad with spamming stun grenades and using the Solar. But now I'm fucked. All out of Solar and don"t have a clue to knock out the second turret dude. Mk2 doesn't do shit and I lose 70% of my damn health. I knew this part was going to be the death of me. Fuck.

Anyway at all you can restart a section or 2 so you can have the solar? Even if you get past this guy the Solar really helps with the Frogs later.

Do you have double barrel? Use the V-Ring ammo and auto-aim and shoot when the jeep is behind you (right at the beginning) and you will stop that guy 10 times out of 10 without taking damage.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So Vamp's
being invincible is nanomachines, is his running across water and up a vertical surface also nanomachines?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Believe it or not, that's actually one of the few things in the game that's allegedly not related to
nanomachines
. I know, crazy right?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF75SU1Xjsk
Mind blown. Never heard this convo before. Still no clue why they retcon Vamp so much. All the batshit crazy stuff is what made MGS2 awesome. BUT Ocelot did say freaks didn't exist only cutting edge technology, or something like that.

Are they kidding me with the Flashback trophy?

I made sure to pay attention to every single cut scene only to end up finishing the game and not getting the trophy!!!!

well screw it, I'm not going back to re-watch ALL the scenes again :\

did this happened to anyone else here?

Ok, thanks. I played through two times so far and Im sure I got all of them but no trophy. I got to be missing one of them somewhere.

I made sure to pay attention to every single cut scene only to end up finishing the game and not getting the trophy!!!!

Try the Act 3 Mission Briefing, near the beginning when Snake says, "So that's was Liquid was talking about."

I know I got that one on my first playthrough but *Brrriing* Trophy on a follow-up.

Luigi87

Doing the time related things in Act 4... Specifically crawling, wall hugging, rolling... Several hours of stuff... And then my game froze when I resumed playing.

Endo Punk

Met up with Drebin in Act 1. Just love the character and prob my favourite introduced in the game, glad he will be in Revengance from the sound of it.

Of course it goes on too long but it is just so ridiculously silly and out of place literally right before the emotional climax of the game.

I would say this has always been a part of MGS. I can have Raiden respond to some of the most melodramatic moments in MGS2 with "Whatever!" or "You're a real egotistical woman." You can listen to a Johnny conversation right before
E.E. is fatally injured by Vamp.

televator

I would say this has always been a part of MGS. I can have Raiden respond to some of the most melodramatic moments in MGS2 with "Whatever!" or "You're a real egotistical woman." You can listen to a Johnny conversation right before
E.E. is fatally injured by Vamp.

I used to spam "Whatever!" and "You're starting to get on my nerves." like no tomorrow.

It happened to me also and I finished it twice since the trophy patch. Might be the hidden cutscene at the very end of Act 4 with Raiden and during the Mantis fight when the armor explodes.

Or Otacon bawling in front of his computer as Naomi kills herself...with...cancer does the same thing for me as well.

This part just kills me. Emotional scenes like that need to make sense if you're going to follow along with them, but Naomi just plays the cancer card out of absolutely nowhere, then somehow kills herself by shooting up with the juice that she'd already been using the entire game. When she injected herself in Act 1 was she feeling too un-cancer-y? Is it a different substance in the syringe in Act 4? You can't be affected by a scene like that when you're busy trying to work out logistics like that, and Christopher Randolph's unbearable wimpering doesn't help.

Yep. I ended up with 649 flashbacks watched before I got the Trophy. The first step is to try the Mission 3 Briefing from the main menu, and mash X like crazy when Snake starts saying "So that's what Liquid was talking about". A lot of people in this thread, including myself, got the Trophy there. Otherwise, there are two points in the game with unmarked flashbacks, which are when Raiden gets crushed under the ship and right after Psycho Mantis 'dies'. Just mash X all the way through those scenes, because the Raiden one in particular has about fifteen different scenes.

Hydrargyrus

I'm in Act 2... and I've skipped at least one flashback and sound flashbacks... what a waste of time!

I think that I will quit the rest of scenes

Luigi87

So I left the game idle for an hour (I'm literally in the hall before the final boss sequence, and I need to hit 35+ hours), and the time on my clock did not advance whatsoever...

Umm... This isn't good.

Nevermind, did not realize that the timer only updates when you enter a checkpoint.
What a waste of a few hours.

Endo Punk

So how many soldiers do you need to kill before vomiting and getting the trophy? I roasted a whole bunch of frogs in Act 1 but still didn't get it.

Ugh, I had forgotten just how bad the dialogue in this game was. The first scene with Meryl and her squad is just fucking awful. Last time I played the game I totally didn't catch that
Snake's vision was deteriorating too. That explains why it took so damn long for him to recognize her and notice the Foxhound patch, assuming it wasn't the script just being stupid.

FootballFan

4 trophies left for plat, doing the Big Boss Emblem run atm. It's pretty hard :(

Getting all the flashbacks wasn't easy, heaps of hidden ones where it doesn't even indicate that you have to press x.

523306_10152190743403532_2002952384_n.jpg

Woot! Fuck this was the most tedious Plat i ever did. But wasn't so bad, this is proof any MGS noob can get this with a lot of patience and practice. But honest to god would have never got BBE if i didn't have the Solar, Metal Camo, Face Camo, Max bullets, every damn trick i read about and my patience to beat this fucker 8 times in a row. It's been fun gentlemen, see you when MGS5 comes!
Also want to add the Liquid fight wasn't SO bad, think I got him on the 4th try. What is bad is the damn obnoxious 2min it takes to reboot the damn fight. Funny enough the 2nd and 3rd rounds were a piece of cake but the first round kept getting my ass kicked till I got a little lucky.

Woot! Fuck this was the most tedious Plat i ever did. But wasn't so bad, this is proof any MGS noob can get this with a lot of patience and practice. But honest to god would have never got BBE if i didn't have the Solar, Metal Camo, Face Camo, Max bullets, every damn trick i read about and my patience to beat this fucker 8 times in a row. It's been fun gentlemen, see you when MGS5 comes!
Also want to add the Liquid fight wasn't SO bad, think I got him on the 4th try. What is bad is the damn obnoxious 2min it takes to reboot the damn fight. Funny enough the 2nd and 3rd rounds were a piece of cake but the first round kept getting my ass kicked till I got a little lucky.

Well, there's kind of a trick for the first round... you can basically back Ocelot into a corner and spam R1 and he (usually) won't be able to do anything about it.

The second round was the hard part for me. I kept getting hit by his metal arm punch because I tried side dodging it every time he was about to do it and often times when I did that Snake would rush forward instead of dodging to the side.

KAOz

Short bus special
Got the Platinum yesterday.

I am done with this game now. Feel so burned out by it.

Got the last emblem, and waited for the Sounds of the Battlefield to ding.
Nothing happened.
So I checked a guide, and I had missed ONE song. At the Mansion in Act 2. GNARGH! So had to do an extra game, just to go grab that one.

But done. It was fun, but, wow, was it grindy as hell towards the end with the last couple of emblems.

Welp, my BBE run's over prematurely. I can't fucking do the resistance tailing at the start of Act 3. I keep getting fifteen minutes into the first area and missing a Mark 2 shot or having some PMCs turn around for no reason and spot me the moment before I take them out. You can't just run through the level tranqing them all because they're all superhuman horse men who shrug off the effects in a minute or something, so you have to be riding the resistance member AI all the way.

I just have no patience for this shit, it's been two hours for me with zero progress and I haven't even got to the bike chase yet. I'm out, I don't want to spend my life doing this.

2 more playthroughs until my plat. I feel burned out already. Stupid 75 alerts or more. Running into every single guard I see.

Almost there! 75 alerts is easy. I enjoyed those playthroughs more than the <75 alerts playthroughs because at least I could shoot things along the way, haha

>25 continues is the worst farming

Steroyd

First round is easy when you corral him to the edge and spam the L1 + R1 falcon one - two punch, all you have to do is time the punch right after he wipes his face after getting up and you come out unscathed.

KAOz

Short bus special
Welp, my BBE run's over prematurely. I can't fucking do the resistance tailing at the start of Act 3. I keep getting fifteen minutes into the first area and missing a Mark 2 shot or having some PMCs turn around for no reason and spot me the moment before I take them out. You can't just run through the level tranqing them all because they're all superhuman horse men who shrug off the effects in a minute or something, so you have to be riding the resistance member AI all the way.

I just have no patience for this shit, it's been two hours for me with zero progress and I haven't even got to the bike chase yet. I'm out, I don't want to spend my life doing this.

Pro-tip: use the Otacon facecamo if you have it. You can walk around freely and do basically anything, except too silly stuff, and never get spotted. Shit, you can stand right next to all the PMCs and they won't even blink.
The Resistance guy will still freak out a bit if you get toooooo close to him though.

But yeah, use that. And walk slightly before him. Will be no problem taking out the PMC's then, as you can stand still and time your shots without worrying about being seen.

Shit, you can stand right next to all the PMCs and they won't even blink.

Except until you stand almost right behind them and they turn around as you pull out the Mk 2 to shoot them. I honestly couldn't believe it when it happened. This one time I'd got the resistance member into the park, and I was chilling in my drum can near the exit waiting for him to start peeing so I could tranq the two guys guarding the park exit. And as I was sitting there, silent and unmoving, the two guards turned around and walked up the stairs to check out the drum. They fucking sensed me there, it's the only way to explain it. I didn't make any noise getting there, and they couldn't have seen me without turning around which they do not do in their regular AI routine.

I'll probably try again in a week and get it the first time, but for now I'm not going anywhere near MGS4.

Steroyd

Pro-tip: use the Otacon facecamo if you have it. You can walk around freely and do basically anything, except too silly stuff, and never get spotted. Shit, you can stand right next to all the PMCs and they won't even blink.
The Resistance guy will still freak out a bit if you get toooooo close to him though.

But yeah, use that. And walk slightly before him. Will be no problem taking out the PMC's then, as you can stand still and time your shots without worrying about being seen.

I'd also like to add that they get onto you if you have your tranq equipped, and the resistance member runs away if he sees you with your gun equipped as well, also headshotting PMC's with the tranq is not a necessity, if you do quick body shots on both soldiers the delayed reaction of them both falling asleep at near the same time is alot easier than headshotting one, which results in the other moving to wake him up which turns into a lottery of headshotting him before waking up the other one.

KAOz

Short bus special
Except until you stand almost right behind them and they turn around as you pull out the Mk 2 to shoot them. I honestly couldn't believe it when it happened. This one time I'd got the resistance member into the park, and I was chilling in my drum can near the exit waiting for him to start peeing so I could tranq the two guys guarding the park exit. And as I was sitting there, silent and unmoving, the two guards turned around and walked up the stairs to check out the drum. They fucking sensed me there, it's the only way to explain it. I didn't make any noise getting there, and they couldn't have seen me without turning around which they do not do in their regular AI routine.

I'll probably try again in a week and get it the first time, but for now I'm not going anywhere near MGS4.

Well, don't use the drum can, it's suspicious. :p
Just walk around normally, stand a few feet away, and then shoot them once in the torso (or head if you want them to go down quick).

Only use the Otacon face, and regular clothes. And just walk around. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

But yeah, I do understand that you want to take a break. Doesn't help that Act 3 is so fucking horrible. Just you wait until the Bike Chase. :,(

I'd also like to add that they get onto you if you have your tranq equipped, and the resistance member runs away if he sees you with your gun equipped as well

Oh, never knew this really. I've never walk around with the gun drawn. So used to just equip to use, then un-equip again. But that's a really good tip!

I really appreciate the help, guys, but I'm reasonably sure the game is just out to get me. I know all about the facecamos and keeping my gun holstered, but I've just been falling victim to random chance every time. Being millimetres inside a PMC's peripheral vision cone when I bring up the gun, or missing a perfectly lined up headshot and causing a Caution. Using the drum can there was admittedly dumb, but I still can't fathom how they saw me with their backs turned.

Like I said, I'll get it on my first try next time, but right now I just can't face it. Spending fifteen minutes in that first area just waiting for the few windows when I should be doing something and then screwing up is too much for me to take.

I really appreciate the help, guys, but I'm reasonably sure the game is just out to get me. I know all about the facecamos and keeping my gun holstered, but I've just been falling victim to random chance every time. Being millimetres inside a PMC's peripheral vision cone when I bring up the gun, or missing a perfectly lined up headshot and causing a Caution. Using the drum can there was admittedly dumb, but I still can't fathom how they saw me with their backs turned.

Like I said, I'll get it on my first try next time, but right now I just can't face it. Spending fifteen minutes in that first area just waiting for the few windows when I should be doing something and then screwing up is too much for me to take.
Wait, wait, wait! If you haven't given up yet, do not do so. Take a break and return later.

Try not to use the tranquiliser pistol at a close distance, always use it from far away if you can and do it from behind the resistance member (yet before he gets too close and caught). Knocking one out will almost always get the other person's attention immediately so if you're too close you'll end up accidentally getting caught. If you cause a caution by missing the shot, don't worry about it, it won't impede your progress in most instances. If you tranquilise the guards before they call their headquarters, even better, they may send two guards to check why the call was interrupted yet it's unlikely that they will have much of an impact.

Sorry that you're having trouble, have you done a Big Boss Emblem run before?

Try not to use the tranquiliser pistol at a close distance, always use it from far away if you can and do it from behind the resistance member (yet before he gets too close and caught).

I found that there seems to be a bit more 'swim' to Snake's aim on Extreme. Or some inherent inaccuracy to the Mk 2 at a certain range. Sometimes you can see the tranq dart's path differ from where the laser sight is pointing. Just the tiniest amount, but sometimes enough to put a dart into the wall behind someone's head instead of where you wanted it. I could be imagining that, though.

Well, sure enough I tried again and got through it on the first try, as well as the next two sections. This game knows the exact moment I start getting overconfident and it never fails to punish me for it. Here comes dat bike chase, woo!

Korigama

First trophy run complete, earned the Solar Gun and ended with the rank of Octopus (other emblems awarded being Scorpion, Inch Worm, and Hyena), marking the first time I've ever finished any MGS with no alerts. Will consider trying a Chicken run next.

No Flashback Mania trophy for me just yet.

I found that there seems to be a bit more 'swim' to Snake's aim on Extreme. Or some inherent inaccuracy to the Mk 2 at a certain range. Sometimes you can see the tranq dart's path differ from where the laser sight is pointing. Just the tiniest amount, but sometimes enough to put a dart into the wall behind someone's head instead of where you wanted it. I could be imagining that, though.

Well, sure enough I tried again and got through it on the first try, as well as the next two sections. This game knows the exact moment I start getting overconfident and it never fails to punish me for it. Here comes dat bike chase, woo!

That is definitely the case (although whether it is exclusive to Extreme or not I'm unsure) which is why it is can (for Act 3 anyway) help to aim at where the enemies mouth would be, so that the laser sight is on the enemies head, a significant portion of it is covering their chest and most of the remaining area is occupied by their head, leaving only a small room for error compared to just aiming solely at their head (where, although you'll make the shot correctly most times, as you've said, the sway can affect some).

However, you've finished it so that's pretty irrelevant now! Well done on managing to get through it despite the frustration. Although, I would take a break if you're frustrated now, the bike chase will bring a new meaning to the term when in the context of Metal Gear Solid 4 :p.

First trophy run complete, earned the Solar Gun and ended with the rank of Octopus (other emblems awarded being Scorpion, Inch Worm, and Hyena), marking the first time I've ever finished any MGS with no alerts. Will consider trying a Chicken run next.

No Flashback Mania trophy for me just yet.
Well done on getting through the game with no alerts! If you're going for the trophies I'd actually advise you get the Big Boss Emblem next provided you:

Have the Anti-Material Sniper
Have 2 Chaff Grenades minimum
Have 50 tranquiliser bullets for each gun.
Have 50 V-Ring bullets.

The reason I'd advise going for Big Boss now as opposed to Chicken is solely because since you've finished the game with no alerts just now, you are likely to have memorised the enemy patrol routes and positions to some extent which will make it easier for you to transition to a Big Boss Emblem run than it is from Chicken to the Big Boss Emblem. Of course, it's up to you and the order really doesn't make a huge difference.

4 trophies left for plat, doing the Big Boss Emblem run atm. It's pretty hard :(

Getting all the flashbacks wasn't easy, heaps of hidden ones where it doesn't even indicate that you have to press x.

Wow, third playthrough for me and still no flashback trophy. I thought there were only 2 hidden ones. There are more? I'm at the beginning of Act 3 again.

Steroyd

Don't forget the twinbarrel shotgun.

I did the BBE run on a fresh new game save right after the patch, and let me tell you, Act 3 bike chase, was such a bitch without it. :(

Soodanim

hRxRA.jpg

First ever Extreme run of an MGS game done. Slower than others on this page, but I don't care. After I platinum this, I'm definitely going back and finishing off the trophies for 2 and 3. Maybe PW too, if I can be bothered to do all of those slow boss battles in Extra Ops. I think I'll have to get the bandanna and the best weapons for that.

And bam, bike chase done. I actually had more trouble tailing the resistance member :p

OK, so I know I got unbelievably lucky. All I can say is that the Solar Gun is absolutely invaluable. The enemies in the bike chase will go down with a tranquiliser shot to any body part, which means you can just aim for the body with the Mk 2 or, even better, blaze away with the Solar Gun. During the big slow motion jump in the second part you can take out all but one of the soldiers in the blockade, and the best part is that the Solar Gun recharges when you get to the third stage. I got a lucky smoke grenade throw to get past the two jeep gunner bloackade without damage, and then I just Solar Gunned my way through the rest. It ran out by the time I got to the downstairs alley, but a few well-aimed smoke grenades will get you through there.

You can actually blow up explosive barrels with a lethal weapon to kill soldiers standing next to them and it won't register on your kill count, so exploit that as much as possible :p

Top Bottom